What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR T.Y. Hilton, DAL (2 Viewers)

cusefan115

Footballguy
It seems like there is an overwhelming feeling on these boards that Ty Hilton's potential is capped at being a slot receiver. He's definitely small but Santana Moss, Antonio Brown, Desean Jackson etc. have curved out nice careers despite not having ideal size. What differentiates Hilton from those guys? Is it just that they are the exception rather than the rule? Or is there some talent that Hilton lacks? I just find it hard to believe the Colts would spend a third round pick on a player that doesn't have the potential to play in their base sets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hilton is one of my favorite newbies, especially in best ball dynasty formats. I think he will start the season slow but once fully healthy he has the most speed of anyone at WR for the Colts. Luck proved in the preseason he can hit him in stride so I like his upside. He is about the same size as Steve Smith from Carolina.

I watched TY a lot down here at FIU and while that program is growing and will eventually get a better name, Hilton flew under the radar and I think he has some big potential in this offense for big plays. I could see something like 35-40/600/4TDs, give people a taste of what is to come.

Redraft maybe not a lot of impact, but I think TY Hilton will be a starting NFL WR.

I'm actually quite excited about both receivers we picked up in the draft.

Hilton can be an electric deep threat and return man, and LaVon Brazill has shown excellent hands in the pre-season. Little value in redrafts, but I'm trying to buy up both in dynasty leagues.

With a QB like Luck, I think he's perfectly capable of playing outside. He has good hands, runs good routes, and with his speed he can blow by anyone.

The big question is whether he can stay healthy - he's had hamstring and shoulder injuries already - but the talent is there.

With a QB like Luck, I think he's perfectly capable of playing outside. He has good hands, runs good routes, and with his speed he can blow by anyone.The big question is whether he can stay healthy - he's had hamstring and shoulder injuries already - but the talent is there.
He needs to add a good 10 pounds on so he can absorb some of these hits but he is entering the league at a good time when DBs are fined, suspended, run out of the league for late hits of defenseless receivers.

Cool. It's always nice to hear some differing perspectives about a prospect that is flying under the radar. And I forgot to ask about the injury concerns, so it was pretty nice to come back and see you guys had answered that question too.

Do we know if he's returning both punts & kicks? Picked him up in deep return yardage league. Figured worth a flier especially since Collie & Avery ahead of him aren't exactly iron men. (Though neither is Ty from sound of it)

So how did he look? Didn't watch game but saw the td highlight. Was he used on kicks? I hear Collie went out but what happened to Avery? Will this be the kind of offense where Wayne is the only consistent option?

Haven't been able to watch any Colts games. Saw Hilton tear it up in college at FIU. Trying to make some roster room to pick him up.

17 targets over the past 2 games, 7 rec, 150 yds, 1 td.

Any comments from guys who have watched the Colts?

Reggie Wayne isn't going to get 20 targets every week.

Donny Avery, even though he's playing very well, is in jury prone.

Enter Hilton.

He's a great home run play against teams with weak safeties. A great end-of-bench add!

Haven't been able to watch any Colts games. Saw Hilton tear it up in college at FIU. Trying to make some roster room to pick him up.17 targets over the past 2 games, 7 rec, 150 yds, 1 td.Any comments from guys who have watched the Colts?
It'll typically be him or Avery that will have a good game. I personally like Hilton better, and he's been targeted a LOT the past couple games. With the amount of passing plays that will be occurring there is plenty of targets to go around. I see him getting 8-12 each game, it just depends on what he does with them.The difference that helps Avery is that he's able to get behind the defenders for the deep play more often, so you may see Avery go for 3-80-0 whereas Hilton will go for 6-50-1.Both are solid flex plays during bye weeks. Neither can be reliable as it's a WR2a and WR2b so you never know who is going to have the better game. Something like that, with a TD being hit or miss. But Reggie can't catch them all and the running game is mediocre at best.

Haven't been able to watch any Colts games. Saw Hilton tear it up in college at FIU. Trying to make some roster room to pick him up.17 targets over the past 2 games, 7 rec, 150 yds, 1 td.Any comments from guys who have watched the Colts?
It'll typically be him or Avery that will have a good game. I personally like Hilton better, and he's been targeted a LOT the past couple games. With the amount of passing plays that will be occurring there is plenty of targets to go around. I see him getting 8-12 each game, it just depends on what he does with them.The difference that helps Avery is that he's able to get behind the defenders for the deep play more often, so you may see Avery go for 3-80-0 whereas Hilton will go for 6-50-1.Both are solid flex plays during bye weeks. Neither can be reliable as it's a WR2a and WR2b so you never know who is going to have the better game. Something like that, with a TD being hit or miss. But Reggie can't catch them all and the running game is mediocre at best.
Does anyone have any further thoughts on him long term coming off a big week? Is he simply being opportunistic on a team with a great qb and very little talent otherwise? Or is he legitimately coming out as a fantasy contributor?

'cusefan115 said:
Does anyone have any further thoughts on him long term coming off a big week? Is he simply being opportunistic on a team with a great qb and very little talent otherwise? Or is he legitimately coming out as a fantasy contributor?
He could have had another 60-75 yds and 2 more TDs...one was batted away last minute and the other went thru his fingers but was very catchable. I think Luck is going to maximize the WRs but Reggie Wayne is signed for the next couple of years and is not going anywhere...Avery is always an injury risk...they spent another 2 picks on TEs already...I'm not saying they won't go and get Luck more weapons but the Colts are quickly finding they just need to shore up the defense and the OL to make a big push towards another trophy. I think TY Hilton has a chance to be the long ball guy and maybe put up something like 55-60 for about 800-900 yds, and 5-7TD, WR3 type. if you got a decent trade in dynasty pull the trigger but I think he is well suited for best ball leagues as part of a 2-3 man rotation for the WR3 spot. He is gonna be a boom or bust guy most weeks.

'cusefan115 said:
He could have had another 60-75 yds and 2 more TDs...one was batted away last minute and the other went thru his fingers but was very catchable. I think Luck is going to maximize the WRs but Reggie Wayne is signed for the next couple of years and is not going anywhere...Avery is always an injury risk...they spent another 2 picks on TEs already...I'm not saying they won't go and get Luck more weapons but the Colts are quickly finding they just need to shore up the defense and the OL to make a big push towards another trophy. I think TY Hilton has a chance to be the long ball guy and maybe put up something like 55-60 for about 800-900 yds, and 5-7TD, WR3 type. if you got a decent trade in dynasty pull the trigger but I think he is well suited for best ball leagues as part of a 2-3 man rotation for the WR3 spot. He is gonna be a boom or bust guy most weeks.
Cool. I appreciate the feedback, it pretty much confirms my initial impression.

And again

6/100/2TD, this guy is gonna be a teammate for Luck the next 3-4 years for sure, should always be the WR2/3 in this offense.

I have Hilton stashed in my bench, and I'd love to find a way to get him into my lineup, but my receiver depth is pretty good. If Avery's out next week, I might as well put him in my flex over The Hyphen (if Beanie plays) and Ahmad Bradshaw (depending what the medical reports this week on him are)

I have Hilton stashed in my bench, and I'd love to find a way to get him into my lineup, but my receiver depth is pretty good. If Avery's out next week, I might as well put him in my flex over The Hyphen (if Beanie plays) and Ahmad Bradshaw (depending what the medical reports this week on him are)
Appreciate the update. Let us know if you end up starting him.

If Avery is ruled out, start with confidence? When he gets the start he's a beast. When Avery was knocked out, he was a beast. Bills secondary is suspect at best. Luck is a machine at home and the Bills give up a ton of points to opposing QB's on the road.

100 yard TD game is certainly in the cards again for him.

If Avery is ruled out, start with confidence? When he gets the start he's a beast. When Avery was knocked out, he was a beast. Bills secondary is suspect at best. Luck is a machine at home and the Bills give up a ton of points to opposing QB's on the road.100 yard TD game is certainly in the cards again for him.
Certainly hope so. Left Garcon (and Kerley) on my bench yesterday for T.Y. on Sunday.

If Avery is ruled out, start with confidence? When he gets the start he's a beast. When Avery was knocked out, he was a beast. Bills secondary is suspect at best. Luck is a machine at home and the Bills give up a ton of points to opposing QB's on the road.100 yard TD game is certainly in the cards again for him.
Yes, except Avery practiced in Full on Wednesday. It looks like he is good to go.

Really want to start him over Britt and James Jones but Avery has looked good when he's been able to play. Would basically be banking on a big play because Hilton will only be in on 3 WR sets.

Versatile Hilton starting to emerge as Colts' other rookie prize

Dennis Dillon

After pumping weights during the week, football players like to pump up the volume on their iPods on game day before going out to play. Loud, rib-rattling music ranging from rap to heavy metal generally are the genres of choice. But not for T.Y. Hilton.

The rookie wide receiver and punt returner for the Indianapolis Colts prefers the mellifluous sounds of ... love songs.

Whether Hilton is riding to the stadium, getting dressed in the locker room or going through his pre-game stretch on the field, his playlist is slow and mellow. His favorite artists include Beyonce, Marvin Sapp and Betty Wright.

"I've just got to have my slow music with me," Hilton said. "Eases my mind."

That seems so ironic, because Hilton is a blur on the football field. At his pro day last spring, the 5-foot-9, 183-pound Hilton ran a 4.34-second 40. And that was with a sore quad that had precluded him from running at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis.

Hilton flashed his speed in last Sunday's 20-13 victory over Buffalo inside Lucas Oil Stadium, where he returned a punt 75 yards for a touchdown in the first quarter (on Wednesday, the return officially earned him AFC special teams player of the week honors). Later, after coming back from a scary hit that left him temporarily numb in his back and legs as he lay on the field, Hilton caught an 8-yard touchdown pass.

He became the first player in franchise history (the Colts began in 1953) to score on a punt return and a pass reception in the same game. But that accomplishment didn't cause his head to swell in his helmet.

"It made me feel pretty good but, you know, it was pretty much a team effort," Hilton said. "I was able to do a lot of things because my teammates helped me out a lot. ... That's what I get paid to do -- return punts and catch passes -- and that's all I did."

A third-round draft pick from Florida International University, Hilton is that other rookie -- in addition to quarterback Andrew Luck, the overall No. 1 selection -- who has shown to be a stellar star for a Colts team that so desperately needed playmakers after last season's improbably awful 2-14 record.

While Luck has completed 255 of 449 passes for 3,205 yards, 13 touchdowns and 13 interceptions as the successor to Peyton Manning in Indianapolis, you can't overlook Hilton's multiple contributions. The 13th of 33 receivers drafted last April, the Colts had a role in mind immediately for Hilton.

"They told me they were going to utilize me a lot, move me all over the field, just get the ball in my hands," said Hilton, who has caught 33 passes for 488 yards and five touchdowns; averaged 12.3 yards on 19 punt returns, including one touchdown; rushed four times for 31 yards; and averaged 16.9 yards on seven kickoff returns. His six touchdowns lead the team.

Luck and Hilton have helped turn the Colts into one of the season's biggest surprises. The franchise looked like it had flat-lined when Manning missed the entire 2011 season after multiple neck surgeries and then, in the offseason, was released. Owner Jim Irsay further cleaned house by firing longtime president Bill Polian, general manager Chris Polian and coach Jim Caldwell.

Forced to start over under a new GM, Ryan Grigson; a new coach, Chuck Pagano, who has been forced to miss most of the season because he's undergoing treatment for leukemia; and a rookie quarterback, Indianapolis has resurfaced in the AFC South, a division they dominated for most of the previous 10 seasons. The Colts are 7-4 and in the hunt for a wild-card playoff spot, with only a pair of games against division-leading Houston looking formidable on their remaining schedule.

Having veteran wideout Reggie Wayne as a leader and mentor has benefitted Hilton greatly. The two players' lockers sit next to each other for home games, and Hilton frequently picks Wayne's brain by asking questions on the field or in the meeting room, or texting him, to make sure he understands a play or a concept.

"He's always there (to help)," Hilton said. "He's a great guy. I love him. I'm glad he's still playing."

And Wayne is happy to be playing with Hilton. In early October, Wayne said: "He wants to be good. You see that. He's always in his book, always asking questions. He's probably one of the receivers who asks the most questions, so that's always good. He wants to know how to get better. I'm glad he's on our team."

Having Luck on his side also has aided Hilton. As fellow rookies, they spend a lot of time around each other on and off the field. They often go out to dinner together, taking turns to pick up the check.

"He shows why he was the No. 1 pick," Hilton said of Luck. "He has a great arm -- a phenomenal arm -- and he makes throws other quarterbacks can't make when players are on his back."

Hilton, who was inactive for the season opener against Chicago and caught only one pass against Minnesota the next week, broke out in Week 3 against Jacksonville with four receptions for 113 yards. He also had a six-catch, 102-yard performance against Miami in Week 9. He competed with Austin Collie for the slot receiver spot until Collie suffered a season-ending ruptured patellar tendon in the Jacksonville game. Since then, Hilton has been the No. 3 receiver behind Wayne and Donnie Avery.

As the weeks go by, Hilton is starting to feel more and more comfortable with the pace of the NFL.

"There were a few games that were pretty fast," he admitted, "but right now it's kind of slowed down for me and I'm adjusting well."

A native of Miami Springs, Fla., Hilton starred in football and basketball at Miami Springs High. The night before national college signing day, he had narrowed his choices to Florida International and West Virginia. He made his decision using a most unorthodox method.

First, he put a hat from each school on his bed. Then he placed his son, Quis, then 1, on the bed. Quis crawled to the Florida International hat. Eight times in a row. That determined it for his dad.

Hilton made an immediate impact at FIU, where he set school career records for receptions (229), receiving yards (3,350) and touchdowns (24). On his first touch for the Panthers, in the 2008 season opener against Kansas, he returned a punt for a touchdown. He finished his freshman season with 12 touchdowns: seven receiving, two rushing, one throwing, one on a punt return and one on a kick return. On his first touch of the 2009 season, he received the kickoff against Alabama and raced 96 yards to the end zone. Hilton said that was the moment when he knew he had special speed.

"When I hit the corner, I had a couple of guys who had an angle on me and I outran them," he said.

Hilton never ran track, nor did he do anything to develop his speed. While acknowledging that his parents both were fast, Hilton said his speed is "a God-given gift." When he played football as a youth, "Once I got the ball, I just ran as fast as I could away from other people."

His given name is Eugene, but Hilton was nicknamed "Little Ty", after his dad. It eventually became T.Y. Curiously, Hilton has a brother named Ty, and his youngest son also is named Ty. Quis, now 5, Ty, and Shantrell, his fiancée, all live with Hilton in Indianapolis. Hilton loves being a father.

"No matter what happens in the game, once I come off the field and I see (Quis and Ty), it always brightens up my day and puts a smile on my face," he said.

Although there are five games left (and perhaps a postseason appearance), Hilton already has an offseason goal. Grigson suggested that he add 10 pounds of muscle.

"He's the man around here, so whatever he wants, that's what I've got to do," said Hilton, who doesn't think more weight will adversely affect his speed. "I can't wait to do it."

And he'll probably do it while listening to love songs.

I wouldn't worry about DHB. He hasn't shown much consistency and will be learning a new system. Hilton showed he can play last year. Fluff piece.

Hilton is one of my favorite newbies, especially in best ball dynasty formats. I think he will start the season slow but once fully healthy he has the most speed of anyone at WR for the Colts. Luck proved in the preseason he can hit him in stride so I like his upside. He is about the same size as Steve Smith from Carolina.I watched TY a lot down here at FIU and while that program is growing and will eventually get a better name, Hilton flew under the radar and I think he has some big potential in this offense for big plays. I could see something like 35-40/600/4TDs, give people a taste of what is to come.Redraft maybe not a lot of impact, but I think TY Hilton will be a starting NFL WR.
So far so good

I'm in a 7 - keeper league and I have R. Wayne and TY.

I think I have to keep both. One for next year and one for the long haul.

Sabertooth said:
I wouldn't worry about DHB. He hasn't shown much consistency and will be learning a new system. Hilton showed he can play last year. Fluff piece.
Avery hadn't either and he played ~90% of the snaps vs. ~60% for Hilton.

Avery was hurt a ton in St. Louis and Hilton was a rookie. I'm not really all that concerned that suddenly DHB is going to turn into some 90 catch monster. At best he's a 60 catch guy and I don't think he'll impede Hilton's trajectory. If Hilton has the skill, a guy like DHB isn't going to get in his way. I think Hilton has some skill and showed that last year.

This is probably overthinking it but I'm just pointing it out.

Reggie Wayne, DHB or Hilton, Dwayne Allen, Coby Fleener

I just have a feeling that it will mostly be 2WR sets with a 2 TE set as well. Depends on if DHB can improve his hands then I think he could take over Hilton's duties. It's all dependent on how they use Allen/Fleener IMO if its a 1 TE set usually then both will be servicable. Not so much in 2 TE sets.

I just have a feeling that it will mostly be 2WR sets with a 2 TE set as well. Depends on if DHB can improve his hands then I think he could take over Hilton's duties. It's all dependent on how they use Allen/Fleener IMO if its a 1 TE set usually then both will be servicable. Not so much in 2 TE sets.
Assuming they run 2 TE sets 50% of the time and Wayne is on the field almost every play that leaves DHB, Hilton, Allen and Fleener with an average of 75% of the offensive plays each. That's enough for all of them to be serviceable.

Is there any reason Hilton couldn't get better in 2013 plus have a slight edge since he already has worked with Luck since they were drafted together a year ago? I know folks are quick to slide Hilton down but he is going to stretch the field and keep doing it as good or better than last year. he did it at FIU, now he has the best young NFL QB to toss the ball to him...I've seen DHB and what he has to offer so far. I have never been blown away by him yet, Hilton is impressive at least at long pass patterns. I still see Hilton carving out 800 and 6-8 TD in this offense as he works 2nd and 3rd DBs on the other teams, his coverage will be ripe to exploit.

Sorry, I spewed a bit, I'll clean that up.

The best I see Hilton as a Lance Moore clone. Nothing more than 800 yds and maybe 5-6 TD's. I'm just not that impressed when I watch him, and there is probably 100 of these guys on NFL rosters who just never got a shot to make it in the NFL.

Maybe I'm the minority of not liking him idk, but I feel like he will play at least 3rd or 4th fiddle to the likes of others like Wayne, Allen, Fleener and maybe DHB (depending on his role).

GeeYouknit, on 12 Apr 2013 - 21:54, said:

The best I see Hilton as a Lance Moore clone. Nothing more than 800 yds and maybe 5-6 TD's. I'm just not that impressed when I watch him, and there is probably 100 of these guys on NFL rosters who just never got a shot to make it in the NFL.

Maybe I'm the minority of not liking him idk, but I feel like he will play at least 3rd or 4th fiddle to the likes of others like Wayne, Allen, Fleener and maybe DHB (depending on his role).
Just something to think about:

Stat line #1 : 50/861/7

Stat line #2: 64/865/5

Those belong to two rookie WRs last year. One of them is Justin Blackmon. The other, (the line with more TDs), belongs to Hilton.

The other interesting note about those 2 lines? Hilton only needed 90 targets to put those numbers while Blackmon needed 132. That's almost 50% more targets for comparable numbers (Blackmon had more catches but lower YPA and fewer TDs). And Blackmon is a stud.

Am I saying Hilton is better than Blackmon? No, not at all. But Hilton is far more than a Lance Moore clone.

Here's another interesting tidbit to keep in mind:

Since 1995 (the last 18 yrs), there have only been 3 WRs that have had five 100 yard games as a rookie: Julio Jones, Anquan Boldin,.....and TY Hilton.

Not Randy. Not Calvin. Not AJG. Not Andre Johnson. Not a whole lot of other impressive names.

Are 100 yd games the ultimate stat? Of course not. But they do indicate the potential a WR has of being able to make big plays and/or take over a game. And having that many in one season as a rookie is impressive however you slice it. I'll also add that in 3 of those 5 games, his longest reception was 43 yards (43, 40, and 36). So it's not as if he was hitting that 100 yard milestone on one single huge play.

I would recommend watching this and paying attention to the number of different routes he's running in these highlights:

. Another new rookie highlight video

Screens, slants, outs, posts, crossing patterns. He catches with his hands, makes over the shoulder catches (tracks well), doesn't take a lot of hits, has good speed, creates separation with his routes, catches the ball in traffic in the end zone. He's not just a one trick pony like I think many think simply catching long balls with speed.

He's never going to be a top 5-10 fantasy WR, but I think the kid has the goods and is going to be a solid producer.

Users who are viewing this thread