What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR T.Y. Hilton, DAL (4 Viewers)

I would recommend watching this and paying attention to the number of different routes he's running in these highlights:

Harrison was a once and a lifetime talent and about 3-4 inches taller than Hilton. I think Hilton is a nice player but feel his upside is capped.

I would recommend watching this and paying attention to the number of different routes he's running in these highlights:

Ok, there's an incredibly small chance he could be the next Marvin Harrison. But, right now, it's guys like Calvin, Julio, AJG, Dez, DT, Harvin......there is some premier talent at the top. He's simply not at their level in terms of talent level. And I like him a lot.

I guess I should take that with a grain of salt, considering your username. But Harrison probably wasn't even the best WR of his time (Owens, Moss) let alone a once in a lifetime talent. He was quick and fast, and had great hands and great chemistry with one of the best QB's of all time. What we've seen out of Luck and Hilton reminds me a lot of Manning and Harrison at the beginning. So I think it's *possible* they develop into something similar. Not necessarily one of the best duos of all time, but maybe to the point where Hilton is an every-week starter.

Fine, maybe "once in a lifetime" was a bit over the top, although I don't think TO was a better receiver than Marvin. Setting that aside though (as Hilton is the topic of the post) I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment if you expect Hilton to have a career resembling Marvin's. I would be really curious to know what the record is for receptions by a 5'8 wr. Imo T.Y.

Last edited by a moderator:

You are correct, he measured 5'9 at the combine. Regardless, I still think he's fighting an uphill battle at that size to have a career similar to Harrison's. That is just my 2 cents though. I could very well be wrong.

I only saw him catch two passes under 15 yards in that highlight reel....he is a deep threat....I could see him taking a step back in year two...Deep balls are hit and miss as are most players like TY week to week and year to year

I like him but I can see where some worry he'll have a Lee Evans or Santana Moss type of career. Both those WRs usually only put up big numbers when they had long bombs for TDs. Too much feast or famine for my tastes.

I only saw him catch two passes under 15 yards in that highlight reel....he is a deep threat....I could see him taking a step back in year two...Deep balls are hit and miss as are most players like TY week to week and year to year
TY Hilton Play-By-Play

36 passes caught for less than 15 yards. (58 catches on the year for the season + 1 playoff game). And another 5 catches were under 18 yards. So that's 41 of 58 receptions under 18 yards. Most 7 yard receptions don't make highlight reels because, well, they aren't highlights.

He's not just a deep threat at all. The vast majority of his catches were not deep receptions.

TY Hilton Play-By-Play

36 passes caught for less than 15 yards. (58 catches on the year for the season + 1 playoff game). And another 5 catches were under 18 yards. So that's 41 of 58 receptions under 18 yards. Most 7 yard receptions don't make highlight reels because, well, they aren't highlights.

He's not just a deep threat at all. The vast majority of his catches were not deep receptions.
He was 5th in the NFL in yards-per-reception. If he isn't a deep threat, does that mean there are only 4 deep threats in the NFL?

TY Hilton Play-By-Play

He was 5th in the NFL in yards-per-reception. If he isn't a deep threat, does that mean there are only 4 deep threats in the NFL?
Reread what I said. He's not JUST a deep threat. Concern was voiced that he could be hit or miss by being a deep threat and I was pointing out he actually had a large number of receptions that are not considered deep routes.

TY Hilton Play-By-Play

Reread what I said.He's not JUST a deep threat. Concern was voiced that he could be hit or miss by being a deep threat and I was pointing out he actually had a large number of receptions that are not considered deep routes.
Misunderstood. Carry on.

He also gets end arounds from time to time. He had a few last year, so that could increase as he gains experience.

Rotoworld:

T.Y. Hilton played on 61.2 percent of the Colts' offensive snaps in 2012.
Hilton was the clear-cut No. 3 wideout as a rookie, drawing just 90 targets compared to 124 for Donnie Avery. He also dropped 12 catchable balls. Still, Hilton posted a 50/861/7 line, showing unique long speed and jukes after the catch. With Reggie Wayne slowing down in the second half last year and only Darrius Heyward-Bey replacing the departed Avery, Hilton is a major breakout candidate.

Source: Pro Football Focus

Player ADPHilton WR33DHB WR60I'd probably take DHB straight up, but given these prices, easy choice. It looked like DHB was turning the corner in 2011. That injury derailed him in 2012. I know his hands are questionable, but they can't be worse than Hilton's.

I clicked on DHB on the ADP and the staff projections came up... How much of a joke are these things? Did they just copy and paste?

Hilton:

Dodds - 63/968/6

Henry - 55/900/6

Wood - 63/900/5

Tremblay - 63/961/6

DHB:

Dodds - 46/644/4

Henry - 45/670/4

Wood - 45/600/4

Tremblay - 45/632/4

Reminds me of high school when you'd copy a buddy's essay and just change the title and a few sentences here and there. Lazy. Why even pretend to have four people doing projections?

Harrison was a once and a lifetime talent and about 3-4 inches taller than Hilton. I think Hilton is a nice player but feel his upside is capped.
Do what now?
Really now? The guy has the second most receptions in the history of the game and you are going to quibble with that statement. Harrison was a generational talent.
the guy said once and a lifetime instead of once in a lifetime........I would think it was a typo......but Ignoramus could not make the jump

gandalas said:
If you're looking for the best case scenario for Hilton, it's Santana Moss.
Steve Smith Down?

Smitty: 5'9", 185 lbs - 4.41 40, 38.5 Vert,

Hilton: 5'9", 183 lbs - 4.37 40, 35.2 Vert
In measureables they are similar, but Smith is much more physical than any WR his size.

I was thinking Steve Smith as well. Not as physical sure, but seems like he's got real talent. I could see him as a slower tougher Desean Jackson, which might actually mean he outperforms Jackson.

GeeYouknit, on 12 Apr 2013 - 21:54, said:

The best I see Hilton as a Lance Moore clone. Nothing more than 800 yds and maybe 5-6 TD's. I'm just not that impressed when I watch him, and there is probably 100 of these guys on NFL rosters who just never got a shot to make it in the NFL.

Maybe I'm the minority of not liking him idk, but I feel like he will play at least 3rd or 4th fiddle to the likes of others like Wayne, Allen, Fleener and maybe DHB (depending on his role).
Just something to think about:Stat line #1 : 50/861/7

Stat line #2: 64/865/5

Those belong to two rookie WRs last year. One of them is Justin Blackmon. The other, (the line with more TDs), belongs to Hilton.

The other interesting note about those 2 lines? Hilton only needed 90 targets to put those numbers while Blackmon needed 132. That's almost 50% more targets for comparable numbers (Blackmon had more catches but lower YPA and fewer TDs). And Blackmon is a stud.

Am I saying Hilton is better than Blackmon? No, not at all. But Hilton is far more than a Lance Moore clone.

Here's another interesting tidbit to keep in mind:

Since 1995 (the last 18 yrs), there have only been 3 WRs that have had five 100 yard games as a rookie: Julio Jones, Anquan Boldin,.....and TY Hilton.

Not Randy. Not Calvin. Not AJG. Not Andre Johnson. Not a whole lot of other impressive names.

Are 100 yd games the ultimate stat? Of course not. But they do indicate the potential a WR has of being able to make big plays and/or take over a game. And having that many in one season as a rookie is impressive however you slice it. I'll also add that in 3 of those 5 games, his longest reception was 43 yards (43, 40, and 36). So it's not as if he was hitting that 100 yard milestone on one single huge play.

Good Post. And I'm SHOCKED at the respect given to DHB. And Wayne turns 35 in November.

You gotta love the QB he gets to work with the next 2-3 years but the guy had 12 drops last season, they are in a new offense more West Coast with 2 TE formations, check the Stanford tapes from a couple years back for an idea of what might be coming, Reggie Wayne still gonna get his targets and DHB is going to see the best QB he's ever seen so it's possible he leaps over Hilton into the No 2 role. Now if Hilton is in the No 3 role on a team that is likely to run a 2 TE formation on 1st and 2nd down a lot, where are his consistent targets coming from?

He's top 25-30 in dynasty right now? Might be time to at least see what you can get in a sell. I don't see Hilton becoming a frontline WR1, a mid to low WR2 at best, his stock is sky high right now, stock trading around $75, we would rather buy in at $45.

The Steve Smith comparisons are just downright silly. Smith doesn't weigh 185, hasn't weighted that since he was in year 1 or 2. He is one of the most physical WRs for his size in the league and it's one of the reasons he misses time. That said, Hilton has jets and will be the stretch maker for this team, I just think he is overvalued some.

You gotta love the QB he gets to work with the next 2-3 years but the guy had 12 drops last season, they are in a new offense more West Coast with 2 TE formations, check the Stanford tapes from a couple years back for an idea of what might be coming, Reggie Wayne still gonna get his targets and DHB is going to see the best QB he's ever seen so it's possible he leaps over Hilton into the No 2 role. Now if Hilton is in the No 3 role on a team that is likely to run a 2 TE formation on 1st and 2nd down a lot, where are his consistent targets coming from?

He's top 25-30 in dynasty right now? Might be time to at least see what you can get in a sell. I don't see Hilton becoming a frontline WR1, a mid to low WR2 at best, his stock is sky high right now, stock trading around $75, we would rather buy in at $45.

The Steve Smith comparisons are just downright silly. Smith doesn't weigh 185, hasn't weighted that since he was in year 1 or 2. He is one of the most physical WRs for his size in the league and it's one of the reasons he misses time. That said, Hilton has jets and will be the stretch maker for this team, I just think he is overvalued some.
Youth, speed, potentially great QB... what's not to like?

Wayne will still get his... I mention his age because that will become a factor eventually. DHB just doesn't scare me. Maybe it's his association with the Raiders and their history of blown picks (Or Al's perpetual quest to restore the vertical passing game).

If it were the stock market and I could realize some gains, maybe I put the cash in my market. But, analogies aside, it boils down to actual trade opportunities. If somebody offers me a great deal, or improves need at another position, Hilton is a movable piece. But, he is also a good "hold".

I just don't think the hype is so great that I'd get an offer "I couldn't refuse".

Wow, and Hilton just completed year 1, and is beginning year 2. Whether he goes the bulking-up route that Smith did later in his career remains to be seen, but Hilton coming out of college and Smith coming out of college were pretty close to the same guy. Comparing Smith in year 8 and Hilton in year 2 is pretty silly...of course they are going to be different.

You gotta love the QB he gets to work with the next 2-3 years but the guy had 12 drops last season, they are in a new offense more West Coast with 2 TE formations, check the Stanford tapes from a couple years back for an idea of what might be coming, Reggie Wayne still gonna get his targets and DHB is going to see the best QB he's ever seen so it's possible he leaps over Hilton into the No 2 role. Now if Hilton is in the No 3 role on a team that is likely to run a 2 TE formation on 1st and 2nd down a lot, where are his consistent targets coming from? He's top 25-30 in dynasty right now? Might be time to at least see what you can get in a sell. I don't see Hilton becoming a frontline WR1, a mid to low WR2 at best, his stock is sky high right now, stock trading around $75, we would rather buy in at $45. The Steve Smith comparisons are just downright silly. Smith doesn't weigh 185, hasn't weighted that since he was in year 1 or 2. He is one of the most physical WRs for his size in the league and it's one of the reasons he misses time. That said, Hilton has jets and will be the stretch maker for this team, I just think he is overvalued some.
Youth, speed, potentially great QB... what's not to like? Wayne will still get his... I mention his age because that will become a factor eventually. DHB just doesn't scare me. Maybe it's his association with the Raiders and their history of blown picks (Or Al's perpetual quest to restore the vertical passing game). If it were the stock market and I could realize some gains, maybe I put the cash in my market. But, analogies aside, it boils down to actual trade opportunities. If somebody offers me a great deal, or improves need at another position, Hilton is a movable piece. But, he is also a good "hold". I just don't think the hype is so great that I'd get an offer "I couldn't refuse".
He's 26 with a career 14.8 YPR and is 6-2,210 with 4.25 speed. Forget what you know about him on the Raiders since his situation now is completely different. I don't have unrealistic expectations of him but it's very possible for him to produce WR3 numbers. As for his impact on Hilton I don't think it's going to hurt him. Hilton is still going to get his shots down field and will come up with some big games but I don't see him being consistent on a weekly basis. If you play in a total points league I think you can start him every week and he'll end up with WR2 numbers, but he'll drive owners nuts weeks when he doesn't catch a long TD.FWIW, I moved Hilton for a 2015 1st.

(Rotoworld)Darrius Heyward-Bey is working as the No. 2 wide receiver early in Colts training camp.

Analysis: T.Y. Hilton has been the No. 3 receiver. Because the Colts will be far more of a two-tight end, two-wideout team under new playcaller Pep Hamilton, the winner of this camp battle will essentially be locked in as an every-down receiver and serious fantasy breakout candidate. The loser will be used only on obvious passing downs. Despite Hilton's big play-filled rookie season, DHB has generated significant praise from coaches and teammates, including Andrew Luck. Heyward-Bey is very much leading the competition thus far.

IND - HC praises WR T.Y. Hilton

Source: Colts.com - Kevin Bowen

Indianapolis Colts head coach Chuck Pagano has been impressive the work of WR T.Y. Hilton so far during training camp. 'That guy's a freak. I'd hate to be the guy on the opposite side of the ball (of Hilton). He just keeps growing. He's put so much time in, not only in the weight room, but in the classroom. Really impressed with his start and where he's going,' Pagano said Tuesday, July 30.

Rotoworld:

T.Y. Hilton is practicing at both outside receiver and in the slot.
Hilton has been running as the No. 3 wideout behind Reggie Wayne and Darrius Heyward-Bey, making him the top backup at both spots. He runs with the starters when the Colts go three-wide. Even if Wayne and DHB sustain health, we suspect the Colts will find a way to get Hilton touches. "That guy's a freak," coach Chuck Pagano said. "I'd hate to be the guy on the opposite side of the ball." Hilton still has a month to beat out Heyward-Bey for a starting job.

Source: Indianapolis Star

Rotoworld:

Second-year Colts WR T.Y. Hilton says the "game is slowing down for me."
"So now I can just play fast," Hilton quipped. The big-play threat picked up where he left off last season in Sunday's preseason opener, catching three passes for 61 yards, one of which he took to the house for a 45-yard touchdown. That's despite the fact he was only playing in three-receiver sets with the first-team offense as the Colts bafflingly gave starter's reps to stiff deep-threat Darrius Heyward-Bey. Clearly Indy's second best receiver, we hope Hilton is rewarded with his proper depth chart placement before camp is through.

Source: Indianapolis Star

Can we please deleted this thread? I have a couple of drafts coming up that I'd like to get Hilton.

Player ADPHilton WR33DHB WR60I'd probably take DHB straight up, but given these prices, easy choice. It looked like DHB was turning the corner in 2011. That injury derailed him in 2012. I know his hands are questionable, but they can't be worse than Hilton's.

I clicked on DHB on the ADP and the staff projections came up... How much of a joke are these things? Did they just copy and paste?

Hilton:

Dodds - 63/968/6

Henry - 55/900/6

Wood - 63/900/5

Tremblay - 63/961/6

DHB:

Dodds - 46/644/4

Henry - 45/670/4

Wood - 45/600/4

Tremblay - 45/632/4

Reminds me of high school when you'd copy a buddy's essay and just change the title and a few sentences here and there. Lazy. Why even pretend to have four people doing projections?
At least we know what paper they copied from, since if you prorate Hiton's stats to 16 games, the predictions for everybody on the staff simply say both guys will do more or less exactly what they did last year.

It's hilarious that DHB was/is actually listed ahead of him on the depth chart, DHB is a decent WR but Hilton has had some dominating camp performances and is getting tons of praise from teammates and coaches. I would be all over him this year as a WR2, except that I think that DHB will limit his upside a bit. He's definitely someone I'd love to own in a dynasty league, he and Luck will be a deadly duo for quite some time if both stay healthy.

The IndyStar has a nice write up about T.Y. today: http://www.indystar.com/article/20130811/SPORTS15/308110037/Bob-Kravitz-Colts-WR-T-Y-Hilton-s-game-continues-glitter-preseason-opener?nclick_check=1

(bold highlights are mine)

T.Y. Hilton proudly showed off a new accessory on his right wrist late Sunday afternoon. It wasn’t a watch; it was a nasty-looking three-inch long raspberry, a rug burn remnant from his immaculate catch and slide on a 45-yard touchdown pass from Matt Hasselbeck.

“It’s my new watch,” he said after the Indianapolis Colts’ otherwise desultory 44-20 preseason loss to the Buffalo Bills at Lucas Oil Stadium.

Not exactly a Rolex.

But Hilton’s game continues to glitter like a gold bauble. He is continuing to emerge as Andrew Luck’s go-to guy opposite Reggie Wayne. He was spectacular through the last seven games of last season, catching more passes for more yards and touchdowns than even Wayne. Now he has come back to camp even better, his eyes firmly trained on excellence. “The game is slowing down for me,” Hilton said. “So now I can just play fast.”

There were some preseason questions about finding Wayne a running mate, the Colts going out and signing Darrius Heyward-Bey from the Raiders. But Hilton has been as good throughout camp as he was in the final seven breakout games last season, both as a receiver and as a punt returner.

Last year, Hilton led all rookie wide receivers in TD catches (seven) and average yards per catch (17.2). He was second in receiving yards (861) and third in receptions (50). And that’s during a season when he didn’t see a lot of time on the field — or many passes — in the first eight games. Once he did, he was a menace downfield, accruing a lot of his yards after the catch.

“I think T.Y. can be really special as a receiver, and I’ve been around a lot of receivers,” Hasselbeck said earlier in training camp. “He’s a guy I see who could be poised to break out.”

Said quarterback Andrew Luck: “He’s a phenomenal football player. He’s going to make plays ... You do sort of say, ‘All right, T.Y.’ He’s going to do something special when he’s on the field. He has that factor to him.”

It’s been a long time, maybe forever, since the Colts have had anyone like Hilton. Terrence Wilkins? OK, we’re stretching here. And to think, the Colts got Hilton in the third round with the 92nd pick. Twelve receivers went before him, in large part because a quadriceps injury kept him out of the Senior Bowl and the NFL Scouting Combine.“That bothered me,” Hilton said. “I’ve always played with a chip on my shoulder. But I think God had a plan for me.”

Indy has learned quickly, Hilton is much more than simply a burner. He’s got hands. He’s a superior route runner. And he’s a student of the game, having spent the offseason studying what it is that has made Reggie Wayne so great all these years. Specifically, he spent the summer studying Wayne’s footwork and his ability to come back to the football.

Growth? Wayne sees it in a place where the rest of us don’t have access: meetings.

“He’s asking questions, taking notes,” Wayne said. “He’s in tune. He wants to get better. Whenever you see that in a young guy, you know he’s on the right path.”

On a day generally bereft of highlights, there was at least one, courtesy of Hasselbeck and Hilton.

“Once I saw the ball in the air, I was kind of even with the cornerback,” Hilton said. “I saw it and thought, ‘Whoa, that’s kind of far.’ But I put it in a different gear and got it.”

The kid is going to be special.

“This is just the beginning,” he said. “I’m just going to keep getting better if I keep working on my game.”

Stick around. It’s going to get good.
I haven't exactly sorted it all out yet, but I am agreeing. I think he's got that "it" factor. And when you have "it" and you have a QB who has "it" too, and likes you, then you have a really big "IT". I think the kid is going to be special. I just finished going back and watching almost all of his catches last year. I think he's going to be not just a WR2 in the coming years, but a stud.

Assuming he keeps working. Also, I don't believe in DHB at all. I could be wrong on both fronts, but I'm hanging on to T.Y. with a vice-like grip for the forseeable future.

Pray this guy has shown enough to not need many more targets the rest of the preseason. Best thing would be for DHB to show up this week and stifle some of the Hilton love. Please DHB, 50 yds and a TD this week.

Ministry of Pain said:
Pray this guy has shown enough to not need many more targets the rest of the preseason. Best thing would be for DHB to show up this week and stifle some of the Hilton love. Please DHB, 50 yds and a TD this week.
Redraft coming up soon? Or you just think people are too high on T.Y. and are tired of hearing it?

*Edited* to add that judging from your prior posts - redraft coming up soon. Here, I'll help you out:

I was joking earlier. T.Y. sucks!

Good luck, MoP! :thumbup:

I like Hilton so much I just REJECTED this offer in one of my PPR dynasty leagues

I give: Bell, Hilton, Kendall Hunter

I get: Morris, Cook, Texans D

And this is coming from a Skins homer and someone who believes in Cook!

DHB is not taking the #2 role in Indy. Too many drops and camp buzz is lukewarm at best. He has actually been compared to Garcon in that he is fast and will make the occasional sensational grab, but then will turn right around and muff the easy one. Take it for what it's worth, but DHB isn't even a lock to make the roster, although with Brazil's suspension that would be unlikely.

Also, comparing HIlton to Smith outside of height is not helpful, they have entirely different styles.

I like Hilton so much I just REJECTED this offer in one of my PPR dynasty leagues

Give Bell's bust risk, that was a horrible move on your part and I'm not someone who believes in Cook. Unless that was Maurice Morris, then I'd agree with the rejection. Alfred Morris is a (very nice) bird in the hand. All those other guys are huge question marks in the bush. Bell is in the best situation of all the rookies, but he's still a mid-second round pick. I'd have jumped on that trade.

Give Bell's bust risk, that was a horrible move on your part and I'm not someone who believes in Cook. Unless that was Maurice Morris, then I'd agree with the rejection. Alfred Morris is a (very nice) bird in the hand. All those other guys are huge question marks in the bush. Bell is in the best situation of all the rookies, but he's still a mid-second round pick. I'd have jumped on that trade.
I understand that stance and should have mentioned I came up with this counter and struck a deal to get Cook (which was really my biggest need)

Gave: E. Sanders and Kendall Hunter

Got: Cook and Texans D (I needed a D)

Users who are viewing this thread