What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Julio Jones, PHI (2 Viewers)

I only need him for W15 and 16. Basically hoping that they make adjustments for the second game and he won't let Norman shut him down twice in three weeks.
Same boat.

Fortunate to have a 1st Round Bye in the playoffs, so only need him for Weeks 15 and 16. Expecting him to shred the Jags in Week 15 and hopefully have a bounce back game against Carolina (assuming he's held in check in Week 14). Just glad that second matchup with Carolina is at least a home game.

For those with a first round playoff game, I think if you can survive your Week 14 match, Julio will be fine for you the rest of the way.

Julio Jones doesn't have bad matchups. His opponents do.
This is dumb.
Not really. Benching Julio would be dumb. He's the best WR in football. You play him and don't worry about it no matter the matchup.
Have to agree. It is a simplistic statement but it is true. The real problem is that the Falcons, particularly Ryan, just seem completely out of sync. It is really bizarre and definitely worrisome but I just don't see how you can bench a guy like Julio.

Imagine benching Julio during the fantasy playoffs, and he goes off for a 9-150-2 type game, and you lose your playoff matchup. That would be a brutal pill to swallow. So don't think about benching Julio.

Just because Norman has been a shutdown corner all year doesn't guarantee that he shuts down Julio. Julio is going to be BY FAR the best WR Norman is going to face. And the game script is likely going to be favorable.....CAR will likely score 27+ on ATL, so ATL is going to have to throw a lot to keep up.

I would rather go down playing Julio, who clearly helped me get to the playoffs.

Imagine benching Julio during the fantasy playoffs, and he goes off for a 9-150-2 type game, and you lose your playoff matchup. That would be a brutal pill to swallow. So don't think about benching Julio.

Just because Norman has been a shutdown corner all year doesn't guarantee that he shuts down Julio. Julio is going to be BY FAR the best WR Norman is going to face. And the game script is likely going to be favorable.....CAR will likely score 27+ on ATL, so ATL is going to have to throw a lot to keep up.

I would rather go down playing Julio, who clearly helped me get to the playoffs.
Not only this but Norman will not follow Julio into the slot, a position Atl has lined him up in a lot this year. On top of that, Car/Norman have played a lot of cover 2 and other zone coverages. This is how DJax sprung free for his long TD a few weeks ago... Out of the slot. Plays and opportunities will be there for Julio.

jurb26 said:
Jed said:
Sebowski said:
This is dumb.
Not really. Benching Julio would be dumb. He's the best WR in football. You play him and don't worry about it no matter the matchup.
Nobody is going to bench him, obviously. But saying it's not a bad matchup is stupid.

I'm not worried about Julio. I am worried, however, about Matt Ryan and the play calling. They don't seem to be running as many quick slants to him as they did earlier this year. I am hoping the Falcons coaching staff is intentionally not running these kind of plays so that opponents don't have as much game film or expecting those kind of plays. Then vs Carolina, boom...

Wishful thinking.

One thing to consider is that week 16, Carolina could be resting players if they have everything wrapped up which they very realistically could. Meanwhile Atlanta still may be fighting for a playoff spot.

One thing to consider is that week 16, Carolina could be resting players if they have everything wrapped up which they very realistically could. Meanwhile Atlanta still may be fighting for a playoff spot.
Not if they're undeated

What ?

Hopkins, Dez , Cobb , Hilton, Evans, Hurns or Robinson, Cooks or Snead

That's a pretty good bunch

What ?

Right now Dez isn't the elite player as in the past....don't think he's 100% past his foot injury.

Forgot about Hopkins, but that game occurred before Hopkins really broke out. The others are good, but not in Julio's class.

Last edited by a moderator:

What ?

I was happily nodding my head, following the premise of your argument until you got to Snead. Really?

Bridge too far, that one.

What ?

I was happily nodding my head, following the premise of your argument until you got to Snead. Really?

Bridge too far, that one.
Well he was last in line

What ?

Right now Dez isn't the elite player as in the past....don't think he's 100% past his foot injury.

Forgot about Hopkins, but that game occurred before Hopkins really broke out. The others are good, but not in Julio's class.
Actually Hopkins had 98 yds and 2 tds game 1

Then 53 and 0 vs Norman

Then 4 monster games of over 100 yards

Carolina was arguably Hopkins worst game of the seasons up until this past week

Julio complaining just in time:

Julio Jones - WR - Falcons
Julio Jones expressed frustration at his lack of involvement in the red zone.
"I don’t know what we are doing down there," Jones said. "We practice throughout the week throwing jump balls and fades and doing all of those things. But when the game comes, you never know what’s going to come up." Atlanta visited the red zone three times against the Bucs but came away with just one touchdown. Jones was targeted four times in the scoring area, but not once inside the 10. The four looks were Jones' first in the red zone since Week 9, and he has not scored since Week 8. It is tough to see him breaking that scoreless streak against Josh Norman and company next week.

This is dumb.
Nobody is going to bench him, obviously. But saying it's not a bad matchup is stupid.
I might bench him for AJ Green or DT with Allen Robinson as my other WR FWIW
Wait a minute. You have AJ, DT, Robinson (I can see getting him round 5-6) AND JULIO!?!? How did you pull that off?

Regression to the mean, Julio playoff owners. TD's will come with this many targets. Although 2 out of 3 games with Carolina is scary...

Julio complaining just in time:

Julio Jones - WR - Falcons
Julio Jones expressed frustration at his lack of involvement in the red zone.
"I don’t know what we are doing down there," Jones said. "We practice throughout the week throwing jump balls and fades and doing all of those things. But when the game comes, you never know what’s going to come up." Atlanta visited the red zone three times against the Bucs but came away with just one touchdown. Jones was targeted four times in the scoring area, but not once inside the 10. The four looks were Jones' first in the red zone since Week 9, and he has not scored since Week 8. It is tough to see him breaking that scoreless streak against Josh Norman and company next week.
Been waiting for this for a month. Good job, JJ. "Squeaky wheel gets the grease" etc, ad infinitum, and all those tropes.

I'm taking Cooks explosion and B. Coleman's TD yesterday against CAR's secondary as a good sign.

If they can keep Julio in the slot and move him around you'd think they can scheme around Norman.

The bigger problem is moron Ryan.. All the guy does is check down to Freeman. He needs to give Julio the damn ball and give a great receiver a chance to make plays.

I'm taking Cooks explosion and B. Coleman's TD yesterday against CAR's secondary as a good sign.

If they can keep Julio in the slot and move him around you'd think they can scheme around Norman.

The bigger problem is moron Ryan.. All the guy does is check down to Freeman. He needs to give Julio the damn ball and give a great receiver a chance to make plays.
Strange what is going on with Ryan, he cant be this bad at his reads. Can he? Julio basically said that in his statement. I doesn't matter who calls the plays, Ryan chooses who he throws to and he does not throw it to Julio when the time is needed.

Strange what is going on with Ryan, he cant be this bad at his reads. Can he? Julio basically said that in his statement. I doesn't matter who calls the plays, Ryan chooses who he throws to and he does not throw it to Julio when the time is needed.
Ryan didn't forget how to play football. For most of the past six seasons he has been an elite level QB, it has to be the system. Whether it is Shanahan's fault for not teaching it well enough or making the proper adjustments or Ryan's fault for not learning it faster there is something clearly off between Shanny's offense and Ryan.

Ryan didn't forget how to play football. For most of the past six seasons he has been an elite level QB, it has to be the system. Whether it is Shanahan's fault for not teaching it well enough or making the proper adjustments or Ryan's fault for not learning it faster there is something clearly off between Shanny's offense and Ryan.
Just throw Julio some slants and let him make some plays.

Just FYI on the Cooks touchdown, he was motioned away from Norman on that play I believe. The CAR secondary is beatable as long as Norman isn't on you.

Kwai Chang Caine said:
This is dumb.
I might bench him for AJ Green or DT with Allen Robinson as my other WR FWIW
Wait a minute. You have AJ, DT, Robinson (I can see getting him round 5-6) AND JULIO!?!? How did you pull that off?
Trades, keepers, bad drafting - what difference does it make?

How does anyone think this guy is a stud? I would be shocked if he is top 12 in standard scoring leagues after week 3

Every week I feel like I'm at a disadvantage with my supposed #1 WR going up against the other teams #1 WR.

week

13 - vs Hopkins (julio lose) 10 - 12

12 - vs Calvin (julio destroyed) 4- 24

11 - vs John Freakin Brown (julio barely wins) 12.5 - 9.5 luckily AB was on a bye

10 - Bye

09 - vs Sanders (julio loses) 10 - 14

08 - vs Cooks (julio loses) 15 - 19

07 - vs Cooper (julio loses) 12 - 18

06 - vs Robinson (julio loses) 10 -11.5

In some odd way Julio Jones is my weakest link ... I'm always starting at a disadvantage

How does anyone think this guy is a stud? I would be shocked if he is top 12 in standard scoring leagues after week 3

Every week I feel like I'm at a disadvantage with my supposed #1 WR going up against the other teams #1 WR.

week

11 - vs John Freakin Brown (julio barely wins) 12.5 - 9.5 luckily AB was on a bye

10 - Bye

In some odd way Julio Jones is my weakest link ... I'm always starting at a disadvantage
please light your keyboard on fire.

week

10 - Bye

I dunno, number 1 in PPR?

week

10 - Bye

Yeah PPR is kinda silly ... it doesn't represent real production

dirtyjay said:
Chaka said:
dirtyjay said:
kyoun1e said:

Genius! Why didn't Shanahan think of that?

week

10 - Bye

You should drop him.

week

10 - Bye

1 point per 10 yards receiving is less arbitrary?

dirtyjay said:
Chaka said:
dirtyjay said:
kyoun1e said:

Because he isnt a good OC?

week

10 - Bye

10 yds is a 1st down and has moved u 10 yds closer to the opposing teams end zone

The object of the game is to move the ball down field and score. Catching a ball may or may not contribute to that at all.

It's nonsense and no different that rewarding a QB for completions or a RB for carries

dirtyjay said:
Chaka said:
dirtyjay said:
kyoun1e said:

Because he isnt a good OC?
Oh now you've gone and done it.

:scared:

Last edited by a moderator:

week

10 - Bye

10 yds is a 1st down and has moved u 10 yds closer to the opposing teams end zone

The object of the game is to move the ball down field and score. Catching a ball may or may not contribute to that at all.

It's nonsense and no different that rewarding a QB for completions or a RB for carries
A reception is far more significant than a RB carry. It takes work to get receptions. Either way, this is the kind of thing that no internet argument is going to solve. I doubt you've played PPR. Once you play it, it opens the whole league up. In my non-ppr days, wr's were virtually meaningless, aside from the top 10.

Also, non-ppr relies far too much on touchdowns, imo, which further enhances the luck, which I don't like.

Users who are viewing this thread