Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

37 minutes ago, FreeBaGeL said:

TD % on targets thrown from inside the 5 yard line since Julio entered the league in 2011.  List includes the top 15 in targets over that span.

Dez Bryant: 49%
Demaryius Thomas: 34%
Jordy Nelson: 51%
Brandon Marshall: 38%
Eric Decker: 48%
Calvin Johnson: 48%
Antonio Brown: 40%
Julio Jones: 24%
Larry Fitzgerald: 36%
AJ Green: 33%
Michael Crabtree: 56% 
Roddy White: 50%
Emmanuel Sanders: 52% 
Randall Cobb: 70% (not a typo!)
Pierre Garcon: 33%

So not only is he easily last on that list of the 15 guys with the most targets inside the 5, perhaps more noteworthy is that Roddy White was pretty good at it with the same QB, which goes a long way towards ruling out Matt Ryan as being the problem.

The even more incredible stat on this (according to STATS Inc.) is that of the last 21 throws that Matt Ryan has targeted Julio Jones in the end zone, they've only connected on one of them.   

46 minutes ago, FreeBaGeL said:

TD % on targets thrown from inside the 5 yard line since Julio entered the league in 2011.  List includes the top 15 in targets over that span.

Dez Bryant: 49%
Demaryius Thomas: 34%
Jordy Nelson: 51%
Brandon Marshall: 38%
Eric Decker: 48%
Calvin Johnson: 48%
Antonio Brown: 40%
Julio Jones: 24%
Larry Fitzgerald: 36%
AJ Green: 33%
Michael Crabtree: 56% 
Roddy White: 50%
Emmanuel Sanders: 52% 
Randall Cobb: 70% (not a typo!)
Pierre Garcon: 33%

So not only is he easily last on that list of the 15 guys with the most targets inside the 5, perhaps more noteworthy is that Roddy White was pretty good at it with the same QB, which goes a long way towards ruling out Matt Ryan as being the problem.

Would it be fair to say that White was getting softer coverage?

It is bizarre how these 2 can't seem to get on the same page in the end zone. 

Current era Andre Johnson, another exceptional WR with huge physical talent, size and speed who would regularly get 1200+ yds in a season but never score double digit tds. Playcalling? red zone ability? Down to the QB's ability and playbook in the redzone? Could be any of those or something else besides. Guy should be a dominant type of scorer with 10+ tds every season.

1 hour ago, Synthesizer said:

On that disputed catch, Julio burned the CB on a double move, the safety already fell down, and Julio had at least 2 steps on the CB.  Most of the time that would lead to a 70 yard TD.  But Matt Ryan blew the throw.  We can dispute the catch all we want, but Julio should have been walking into the endzone with a 70 yard TD.

Yep, should have been the easiest TD of the game. Awful throw by Ryan. 

1 hour ago, Synthesizer said:

On that disputed catch, Julio burned the CB on a double move, the safety already fell down, and Julio had at least 2 steps on the CB.  Most of the time that would lead to a 70 yard TD.  But Matt Ryan blew the throw.  We can dispute the catch all we want, but Julio should have been walking into the endzone with a 70 yard TD.

There wasn't even a high safety on that play either. He bit short.

All Ryan had to do was loft it somewhere in the middle of the field for Jones to run under. Just terrible.

1 hour ago, candian fantasy guy said:

Would it be fair to say that White was getting softer coverage?

Why? White was Atlanta's wr1 for the majority of those targets. 

I know people used to say Stafford was overrated and he was just riding on Calvin's coat tails. Is it possible that it's actually Matt Ryan who is severely overrated?

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, barackdhouse said:

Ryan's throws were horrible last night. I think he is in a slump, quite similar to a hitter in baseball, ever since the SB collapse vs the Pats. 

Really his performance last year was very comparable to most of his career. He has had 2 outlier seasons. The crazy 2016 and 2012 when Julio, Roddy and Tony Gonzalez were all performing at a high level. It's nice to have 3 pass catchers who have a combined 23 Pro Bowls. Outside of those 2 years, Ryan has never been elite. 

• Like 1

Julio Jones is on pace to get 96 more targets than the most targeted WR of all time, over the course of a season (Rob Moore, 208 in 1997). Who needs TDs?

Of course kidding. I’m still in the camp though he gets more than three TDs this year. Inconceivable he keeps this trend up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fever in the Funkhouse said:

Julio Jones is on pace to get 96 more targets than the most targeted WR of all time, over the course of a season (Rob Moore, 208 in 1997). Who needs TDs?

Of course kidding. I’m still in the camp though he gets more than three TDs this year. Inconceivable he keeps this trend up.

He's going to need to get them via yards after the catch or deep throws because they sure as #### aren't going to happen at the RZ or at the GL. I'll be happy with like 100/1600/5 though. 

• Like 1

Josh Hermsmeyer‏ @friscojosh 8h8 hours ago

Julio Jones saw 282 air yards last night, a target share of 44%, a share of team air yards of 74%, and a Weighted Opportunity Rating (WOPR) of 1.18, the highest I've ever seen.

4 hours ago, Survivor7700 said:

I just shook my head on that no catch call.

Announcers made some comment about an effort to let more calls stand this year (or something to that effect).  Turrible.... just turrible rationale here.  Should be one objective - get the call right!

Along those same lines, Agholor was given a catch in the last 2 minutes of the first half that they didn't even review.  Looked like a foot was off the ground.

• Like 1

I own Julio but several problems in the red zone.  I never see separation.  Everything is a sideline jump ball or ball thrown high over the middle.  He hasn't been good going high for the ball (see SuperBowl).  They don't execute back shoulder throws well.  Not great on very short routes.  See the INT last night.  Totally on a different page from Ryan.  They don't run effective pick or screen plays for WRs.  There is just no deception or separation.  Everything is contested.  You'd think he'd get wide open with his skill at some point.  Doesn't happen. Bizarre really. 

• Like 2

I saw a QB SUCKING on deep throws.

I saw a WR looking EFFING CLUELESS in the red zone.  Bad enough I stopped questioning why he wasn't on the field that first possession from the 1.

I saw a QB and WR who on several plays looked like they had never played together before.

Edited by matuski

2 hours ago, Judge Smails said:

I own Julio but several problems in the red zone.  I never see separation.  Everything is a sideline jump ball or ball thrown high over the middle.  He hasn't been good going high for the ball (see SuperBowl).  They don't execute back shoulder throws well.  Not great on very short routes.  See the INT last night.  Totally on a different page from Ryan.  They don't run effective pick or screen plays for WRs.  There is just no deception or separation.  Everything is contested.  You'd think he'd get wide open with his skill at some point.  Doesn't happen. Bizarre really. 

It is really odd. I guess it just comes down to the fact that some receivers don’t function well with short fields. I haven’t seen enough of Julio to make an objective judgment but really the only thing I can come up with. Your description sounds apt for it. 

This is the first year in a while that I don't own major shares of Julio.  Last night's game was so typical.  Lots of catches, lots of yards, a good number of fantasy points.  You should be happy, but you're still left frustrated as it could have been so much more.

10 hours ago, fightingillini said:

That's the first thought I had. 

No. Roddy was the #1 in 2011 & 2012 and Julio only played 5 games in 2013. Maybe the argument could be made for 2014 & 2015.

So done with this chump.  Would trade him but can't get anything for him.  Tried trading him all off-season and didn't get a single offer.

2 hours ago, zed2283 said:

So done with this chump.  Would trade him but can't get anything for him.  Tried trading him all off-season and didn't get a single offer.

He would’ve been 120-1 if Ryan could’ve thrown that ball a little farther.  

He is frustrating.  So much seemingly left in the field each week. 

Will this guy ever score?

TD heavy league...might as well be TD only...benched him last week and likely will again today for Diggs.

Not that its a bad problem to have and still have Diggs.

Im tired of my stud WRs (Julio, AB) getting one upped by these 2s abusing 2nd rate CBs while my guy gets doubled. :rant:

Finally got an offer.  Chubb and next year #1 (probably going to be 1.11 or 1.12) for Julio.

Dynasty, non-PPR, point every 20 yards rushing/receiving (which makes Julio even less valuable IMO for lack of TDs).

Thoughts?

1 minute ago, Steeler said:

Julio is going to smash the Steelers this weekend.

10 catches, 245 yards, 4 TDs.

And then zero TDs the rest of the season

Just now, Alex P Keaton said:

They couldn't cover the Ravens WRs on deep crossing routes last week - the 10 catches and 245 yards are almost a lock :lol:   

7 minutes ago, Steeler said:

They couldn't cover the Ravens WRs on deep crossing routes last week - the 10 catches and 245 yards are almost a lock :lol:   

I want and need the 4 TDs too.....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alex P Keaton said:

I want and need the 4 TDs too.....

Ok - they are a lock too!  As long as AB scores 5 :) 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Alex P Keaton said:

You have the yards right but somehow he finds a way to score 0 TDS. 

On 10/2/2018 at 2:09 PM, zed2283 said:

Finally got an offer.  Chubb and next year #1 (probably going to be 1.11 or 1.12) for Julio.

Dynasty, non-PPR, point every 20 yards rushing/receiving (which makes Julio even less valuable IMO for lack of TDs).

Thoughts?

I'd easily take that.  Getting Chubb (who was top 5 rookie pick) and a future 1st for Julio at this stage in his career is a steal.  

3 minutes left in the 3rd, Julio with a big ZERO

On 10/5/2018 at 0:58 PM, Alex P Keaton said:

Way to jinx it

5 hours ago, Andrew74 said:

Way to jinx it

I know.   Ugh.   At least Ryan was looking his way early and often, putting Julio in good position to make catches with highly accurate throws.  ?

Edited by Alex P Keaton

On 10/8/2018 at 10:08 PM, Alex P Keaton said:

Been hearing this for what seems like ages.  The OC in Atlanta is a buffoon.  Does anybody have confidence in that guy?

I was a Julio owner from his rookie season up until last season. Steve Sarkisian is the reason I finally traded Julio away. Got tired of the BS play calling. 

Don't put it on Sark, Shanahan never turned him into the TD machine we all think (thought) he could be either.

At some point you have to question the player.

• Like 1

This thread is funny. Dudes lowest yard total of the season is what? 65? And he’s gone over 150 twice? He’s had at least 5 grabs every week too? 

At this point, he is who he is- probably not going to catch 10, hell, even 8 touchdowns. But the guy is on pace for like 130-1800 lol. I’m sure he will catch his normal 5-6 tds and finish as a top 5-7 WR?

37 minutes ago, packer_junkie said:

This thread is funny. Dudes lowest yard total of the season is what? 65? And he’s gone over 150 twice? He’s had at least 5 grabs every week too? 

At this point, he is who he is- probably not going to catch 10, hell, even 8 touchdowns. But the guy is on pace for like 130-1800 lol. I’m sure he will catch his normal 5-6 tds and finish as a top 5-7 WR?

Expected over-reaction because last game was so frustrating and another wasted match-up. But agree with your overall point. He's 3rd in total yards and yards per game so I wouldn't panic just yet.

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 2:09 PM, ILUVBEER99 said:

I'd easily take that.  Getting Chubb (who was top 5 rookie pick) and a future 1st for Julio at this stage in his career is a steal.  

He backed out of the Chubb offer, but I traded him Julio for his #1 and #3 next year (2019) and his #1 in 2020.

Only problem is that they are going to be very low 1st-rounders, but at this point I'll take it to be rid of this lineup killer.

1 hour ago, zed2283 said:

He backed out of the Chubb offer, but I traded him Julio for his #1 and #3 next year (2019) and his #1 in 2020.

Only problem is that they are going to be very low 1st-rounders, but at this point I'll take it to be rid of this lineup killer.

Which week this year did he kill your lineup?? 

17 minutes ago, packer_junkie said:

Which week this year did he kill your lineup?? 

Weeks 2, 3, and 5.  My league is non-PPR and 1 point per 20 yards.  Julio ranks as the #31 WR, while I've had Kupp (#1) on my bench.