What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (16 Viewers)

:lmao:

I seriously bought 50 little shares.  Have had no cash in my account and I'm too stupid and stubborn to sell the gold/silver ETFs that murdered me, so I've been riding with no cash since this all started.  But, I got a small dividend payment and figured, what the hell?  Let's gamble on Chet!
So will you be happy or sad when it goes to 100?

This is interesting. I'm not a market timer and only play with individual stocks in non-retirement accounts, but I thought the Covid impact was plain to see. Sold 75% of my equities 2/14 (mutual funds) with the plan to buy in at first opportunity (3/16). I avoided a lot of the pain and have caught a lot of the bounce back. I am in full agreement this is a bear market rally and the bottom is not in. I don't think I will get back out. I saved about 25% by avoiding that month. That's more than I expected and more than I deserve. I fully believe though that I'll be kicking myself end of Q2 for not sitting out 4/15 to 5/31 or so.
You've already won, no need to risk it.  

$SPX trades up 3% or more during the day, yet closes red.

Only days that match.

10/29/2008 
10/17/2008
10/14/2008
10/3/2008
11/6/1974
6/9/1970

1 thing in common - all lower 20 days out.
While I can remember 2008, those were some brutal days and day after endless day of down.  This list is a good reminder of how bad that was.

$SPX trades up 3% or more during the day, yet closes red.

Only days that match.

10/29/2008 
10/17/2008
10/14/2008
10/3/2008

11/6/1974
6/9/1970

1 thing in common - all lower 20 days out.
I'll always remember those days, sitting in the dining facility in Baghdad. Boss was far more stressed about the market than the incoming mortar rounds. 

This article is Bleacher Reportesque.  It was written by a guest constributor.

UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson Linkage to CytoDyn (OTCMKTS: CYDY) Evolving

https://insiderfinancial.com/uk-prime-minister-boris-johnson-linkage-to-cytodyn-otcmkts-cydy-evolving/179800/

CytoDyn Inc. (OTCMKTS: CYDY) announced today it was collaborating with the United Kingdom’s Department of Health to provide emergency access to leronlimab for serve and critically ill COVID-19 patients.  Coincidently, one of the highest profile political figures, United Kingdom’s Prime Minister Boris Johnson, tested COVID positive on March 27th.  Today he was just moved to the intensive care unit in St. Thomas Hospital in London as a precautionary measure and was being treated with oxygen.   In a move of solidarity President Trump commented today.

“We have made tremendous progress in therapeutics.  I had a fantastic call today which I will be talking about a little later.  I’ve asked two of the leading companies, these are brilliant companies, Ebola, AIDS others have come with solutions and have done incredible jobs.  I’ve asked them to contact London immediately. . . . I’ve had a talk with four of them today.  They speak a language that most people don’t understand.  But I understand something.  They have really advanced therapeutics.”

The linkage in the president’s statement to Gilead Sciences (NASDAQ: GILD) and CytoDyn is undeniable.  The president mentions Ebola which alludes to GILD’s drug remdesivir and the AIDS comment seems like it was directed at CYDY.  Yesterday in CYDY’s Proactive Investors Video the company broke some more news with respect to updates.  Dr Patterson said

“We are seeing a restoration of the immune systems in 3 days and almost full recovery by 7 days and that’s in addition to quieting the cytokine storm.”

Based on the groups of the initial 4 compassionate use patients and the last 5 compassionate use patients, a total of 4 out of 9 patients have extubated their ventilators within 3 days.  No other drug anywhere in the world has demonstrated such promise.  The patients were treated at Montefiore Medical Center. This is a hospital that has consistently been ranked among the best hospitals in the United States by US News & World Report. Only a study done by a prestigious medical center like Montefiore would be considered an option for a world leader like Boris Johnson.  Its also important to note that the Montefiore patients all failed hydroxychloroquine and remdesivir before trying leronlimab.  The company is expected to announce two week survival of the first cohorts of 10 compassionate use patients shortly.

While writing this article another Proactive video broke and there is a very strong linkage to the PM but ultimately that is in the hands of the United Kingdom.

Is seems very clear that CYDY is overtaking GILD as the front runner in the race for COVID-19 approval and has move well past Regeneron (NASDAQ: REGN).  REGN is enrolling up to 400 patients in their Kevzara® trial.  Like CYDY, REGN is targeting the IL-6 receptor, but in a different way.  GILD promised results in early April and nothing has come to pass.  GILD’s release could be imminent but it’s clear from the market reaction that if they are released they are going to show little benefit.

The president mentioned 4 companies so it’s important to look at some of the names that could be in contention. Recently Athersys (NASDAQ: ATHX) has gotten a mention for it stem cell therapy.   They are fast tracked for the treatment of ARDS.  Like CYDY, Ampio Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ: AMPE) also has a treatment option that would be inhaled and would quiet the cytokine storm.  This drug was originally develop as a lung medication before an Osteoarthritis of the Knee therapeutic.  Dr. Baror has been working on this for over 30 years and believe this will be a “game changer.”  Bioxytran Inc. (OTCMKS: BIXT) is a company that looks like it might be able to eradicate the COVID-19 using its novel galectin inhibitor.  They recently came out with a presentation and a video that laid out a solid scientific basis on how their drug will bind to the coronavirus spike protein to prevent entry and be filtered out by the liver.  One of the other names getting some press today is Akers Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ: AKER).  What they have is a vaccine that is likely to have a broad spectrum approach.  This means that it should work for more people but what is so innovative about the technology is the manufacturing.  Many are saying that it will take 12 – 18 months to come to market with a vaccine but the company’s proprietary manufacturing techniques might be able to accelerate development.

SUMMARY

CYDY is going on FOX business news to break a story at 11:45PM Pacific Time.  [UPDATED] Whatever the news it will likely be worth watching.  The overall market is very concerned that many people are going to die and that we are going to run out of ventilators. This one stock could change the trajectory.  Although it might not be the magic bullet, existence of this drug could reinvigorate the economy as people no long fear that COVID-19 might be a death sentence.  Anecdotally it’s safe to say this drug works or as Trump put things, people have a right to try.  Results are coming out as soon as Friday and investors shouldn’t count out a Trump podium announcement of a third and possible front runner as a COVID-19 treatment option.

Disclosure: Insider Financial and its owners do not have a position in the stocks posted and have posted this article for free without editorial input. This article was written by a guest contributor and solely reflects his opinions.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a bond guy, I'd also offer up this resource. If people want a sanity check on an individual security, you can use this website to check where bonds are currently trading. Helps figure out if they have access to capital markets. It also sometimes is a good double check on the investment. I don't always think the bond market is smarter than the equity guys as people say (see Toys R Us), especially since bond guys are usually covering 2-3x as many companies as equity guys. That said, if bonds are in the $50s, there is likely a going concern risk with that company so may want to think twice about an equity investment. Especially since the bond has to get a 100% return before any value accrues to the shareholder (and also have recovery value protection). Anyways, if you don't have access to Bloomberg, this is the best public place I could find, I'd just look for $500k-$1MM+ trades as indicative of the real price. 

https://finra-markets.morningstar.com/BondCenter/Default.jsp

Haven’t got in yet. It’s already a 5 bagger from a year ago. Too late to get in? I’ve seen these tumble to pennies before.  Gambling money so can play but for an OTC stock seems rich. What percent of these make it? How many big pharma companies came from OTC?

Haven’t got in yet. It’s already a 5 bagger from a year ago. Too late to get in? I’ve seen these tumble to pennies before.  Gambling money so can play but for an OTC stock seems rich. What percent of these make it? How many big pharma companies came from OTC?
This has been one wild ride....Chet had this on everyone’s radar even before Covid right? What if it turns out to be a homerun for this virus.....unbelievable. Fingers crossed, sorry I’m not much help for your question but this is one for the ages. 

The CYDY train been running since mid-Dec at least. Remember seeing Chet discuss right before Xmas and it made for some happy holidays!

For sure hard to buy near the top but just dip the toes a bit. 

GoBirds said:
This has been one wild ride....Chet had this on everyone’s radar even before Covid right? What if it turns out to be a homerun for this virus.....unbelievable. Fingers crossed, sorry I’m not much help for your question but this is one for the ages. 
It's like a 9 bagger since Chet first raised it.  I waited a little too long but I've got like a 3 bagger, but I'll take it.

I gotta say this stock trading has replaced my Fantasy Football / Gambling fix. Really have no clue what I'm doing other than "Well that makes sense let's buy some of that", "I like Apple and Google so pick up those", and read a lot of posts in here.

I can self-manage my 401k and have always had a good chunk in individual stocks and that portion has accumulated much faster than the Mutual Funds they let me choose from so have had more ammo aka POWDER! heading into this.

Because of listening to folks in here I'm at -2% YTD so that sucks but talking with some good friends I work with today and they are at like -18% and -24% YTD so feeling pretty good.

Thanks again to all the knowledgable folks in here. You know who you are!

Capella said:
Yea I bought my first 300 shares today. Don’t really care what happens with it, just gambling. 
750, but only because I sold BLMN

Because of listening to folks in here I'm at -2% YTD so that sucks but talking with some good friends I work with today and they are at like -18% and -24% YTD so feeling pretty good.
Yeah, I'm roughly negative 3 years salary. That sucks. But I'm not retiring any time soon.

Yeah I took a leap with my first ever purchase and half my CYDY is at .29.  Been an awesome ride so far.  
That is an awesome ride. So is anybody taking profits or is everyone doubling down? I mean if this thing truly is the fix it's got big pharma type market cap.  Or Stage 2 could fail and it's close to zero.  I did see news on several of my health system customers, one of them being Novant, taking this to stage 2.  That is promising.  I've just never, ever had any luck with anything OTC. Still, I'm bored and like others might just do a what the heck type gamble with money I can afford to lose.

That is an awesome ride. So is anybody taking profits or is everyone doubling down? I mean if this thing truly is the fix it's got big pharma type market cap.  Or Stage 2 could fail and it's close to zero.  I did see news on several of my health system customers, one of them being Novant, taking this to stage 2.  That is promising.  I've just never, ever had any luck with anything OTC. Still, I'm bored and like others might just do a what the heck type gamble with money I can afford to lose.
Last week I took a chunk I had @1.20 and sold at 3.  Planned on reinvesting the profits in something else but CYDY dipped again a few days later so I rebought at 2.40.  Ended up adding total more shares then I started with for the same initial investment.  

I had a limit order at $1.00 a few Fridays ago before it rocketed to $3 the following Monday.  Still, I got in at $2.35 so let's go CYDY!

Like the article linked above Trump was just on a phone interview on Fox and mentioned putting  Boris’ people in touch with a couple companies, one of which has an AIDS treatment.  :tinfoilhat:

You can’t make up this storyline, if that news is true and breaks you have to think that pop would be a good chance to sell some. I’ve sold 1/3, something like that hits I’ll sell at least another 1/3. 

Like the article linked above Trump was just on a phone interview on Fox and mentioned putting  Boris’ people in touch with a couple companies, one of which has an AIDS treatment.  :tinfoilhat:

You can’t make up this storyline, if that news is true and breaks you have to think that pop would be a good chance to sell some. I’ve sold 1/3, something like that hits I’ll sell at least another 1/3. 
That would be nice for sure!  But the real long term play is the HIV and Breast Cancer applications.  🤞   

I am the proud owner of 2050 shares, mostly bought around 1.20ish I think.  I will fly to Chet's estate, polish his Lambos and film myself inhaling an Outback steak in 3 minutes or less if this hits 100. 
While you polish the Lambos, I'll fly out and take Chet out to a steak house a bit better than Outback.

Is CYDY announcing something at 11:45 TONIGHT? Going off that article above. Confused and a bit stoned :lol:  
No. That was PT and AM, already happened, but the Fox Business interview wasn't as good as expected. Not the info, seemed like the interview itself was too short and not fully baked from the Fox side. I wanted to watch, but had back to back meetings.

Judge Smails said:
Free money's been made.  Easy money is going.  I haven't sold a share.  I worked in Investment Banking for 25 years and this is the best idea I've ever seen.

The General said:
Fly there on Delta, stay at a Marriott Courtyard, search some #### on Google, on your new MacBook, while buying some new 501’s after injecting Leronlimabisone with some equipment you bought from Abbott. 
And post all your pics on Pinterest. 

Free money's been made.  Easy money is going.  I haven't sold a share.  I worked in Investment Banking for 25 years and this is the best idea I've ever seen.
Chet either way you have a private tour of the Xmas ship next year. Wish I’d know when I was there but I’m going to visit next year when they pull in. Private tour of course

Thanks. Is there a post # I can go to and start getting educated on the idea? Don’t know where to start 

Not sure if I’ll follow thru, but I’ve never bought and sold individual stocks. Just have my 401k. As simple as signing up with say TD Ameritrade and placing an order? Don’t really have a lot of cash laying around but I’m intrigued with the idea of placing a speculative small bet on one or two of these potential Covid treatment stocks. Maybe it’s too late?

Not sure if I’ll follow thru, but I’ve never bought and sold individual stocks. Just have my 401k. As simple as signing up with say TD Ameritrade and placing an order? Don’t really have a lot of cash laying around but I’m intrigued with the idea of placing a speculative small bet on one or two of these potential Covid treatment stocks. Maybe it’s too late?
The huge gains have already happened, I'm talking the 300% to 1000% gains. Is there still money to be made, sure, f you can find the winner.

The huge gains have already happened, I'm talking the 300% to 1000% gains. Is there still money to be made, sure, f you can find the winner.
Kinda disagree... if one of these treatments proves to be a legit cure and they can ramp production, I think 3x-10x spikes are still in the cards. 

IF LeronLimlab cures the PM of the U.K., that stock is blowing past 2x potentially toward double digit land (3+x). From there profits will be taken and it will pull back.

If it's confirmed legit and suddenly becomes the de facto treatment I think it settles comfortably in double digits. 

I've been a buy and hold guy forever so I have a question about selling stocks for a profit.  I've googled buying and selling the same stock and all the the articles are about the wash rule and selling a stock for a loss.  But what if you sell for a profit?  Say I sell XYZ stock for a profit today, can I buy it back tomorrow without any tax implications?

ETA:  I understand I have to pay capital gains taxes on the sale of the stock, but I'm asking about any tax rules for selling a stock for profit and then buying that same stock again.

Boris Johnson was on oxygen but was never placed on a ventilator. I believe I heard that yesterday.  This morning he is reported to be improving with lowered temp and breathing on his own.  Doubt our drug made its way to the UK for him.  But who knows.  

Today feels like the day momentum turns. :popcorn:

Opening up a point or two but see things following yesterday (crest and pull back), only with a more profound move negative that precedes some selling into the weekend. 

I've been a buy and hold guy forever so I have a question about selling stocks for a profit.  I've googled buying and selling the same stock and all the the articles are about the wash rule and selling a stock for a loss.  But what if you sell for a profit?  Say I sell XYZ stock for a profit today, can I buy it back tomorrow without any tax implications?

ETA:  I understand I have to pay capital gains taxes on the sale of the stock, but I'm asking about any tax rules for selling a stock for profit and then buying that same stock again.
There is no equivalent "wash sale" for gains, if you keep realizing gains you just keep paying the taxes.

Do you have any price targets for which you begin taking profits or lowering your cost basis?

I took a toehold in MFA

Although I doubt they can keep their P/E of 1.56 or annual div. of 60%
The company has elected to be taxed as a REIT and would not be subject to federal corporate income taxes if it distributes at least 90% of its taxable income to its stockholders. M 

There is no equivalent "wash sale" for gains, if you keep realizing gains you just keep paying the taxes.
You do, however, reset your basis for the holdings. 

It probably doesn't help that much, but if you find yourself making less income this year, you might want to realize some of the gains in your taxable account by selling and then buying the same equity. 

ChooseFI did a better job explaining in a recent episode, it doesn't help me much but the concept might help others.

I had never done it until about a month ago. It's easy peasy. I signed up with Fidelity. From some reading in here, that seems a better option, feewise from what I've seen. I have most of my stuff in 401k and with a financial advisor. Took some fun money and put it into an account mid March. It's been fun so far, and profitable, following along in here. 

Today feels like the day momentum turns. :popcorn:

Opening up a point or two but see things following yesterday (crest and pull back), only with a more profound move negative that precedes some selling into the weekend. 
Nostradamus!

Users who are viewing this thread