What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (14 Viewers)

For your first question, your brokerage should give you the option to "reinvest" the dividends.  The dividends will typically just buy more shares of the fund the dividends came from.  So if you got $50 of dividends in a Growth fund, and the Growth fund costs $10 per share, you would just get 5 more shares.  You can probably direct those dividends however you want, but reinvesting is usually the way to go.  It's like getting free shares.

As to your second question, anything is possible.
@ghostguy123 I would disagree with the bolded. I would have agreed with it before every major brokerage went to $0.00 trades but assuming your ROTH is at one of those brokerages, I like having my dividends go to cash so I can select which stock to add to and when (like if they went down on earnings but they are still strong, you can add on the dip instead of automatically buying more shares of something that has gone up 80% in three months).

@ghostguy123 I would disagree with the bolded. I would have agreed with it before every major brokerage went to $0.00 trades but assuming your ROTH is at one of those brokerages, I like having my dividends go to cash so I can select which stock to add to and when (like if they went down on earnings but they are still strong, you can add on the dip instead of automatically buying more shares of something that has gone up 80% in three months).
This. 1000x this.

Here's the replay.  Bruce Patterson and Jay Lalezari were great and Nader struggled.  
Liked hearing both Bruce and Jay talk about the differences between Leronlimab and remdesivir (from GILD) around 22 mark.  How they are completely different concepts in terms of how they treat the virus.  Yet it's remdesivir that gets all the coverage lately.  Bruce mentioned how covid has potentially opened doors for future indications for Cytodyn, like the flu for potential use of leronlimab in combination with an anti-viral.  Interesting discussion.  

Jay had a great quote (32:40) - "The God of the universe smiled on Cytodyn, and uh, everyone will understand that in a couple of weeks."   He admitted his bias, of course, but his optimism is refreshing.  

Liked hearing both Bruce and Jay talk about the differences between Leronlimab and remdesivir (from GILD) around 22 mark.  How they are completely different concepts in terms of how they treat the virus.  Yet it's remdesivir that gets all the coverage lately.  Bruce mentioned how covid has potentially opened doors for future indications for Cytodyn, like the flu for potential use of leronlimab in combination with an anti-viral.  Interesting discussion.  

Jay had a great quote (32:40) - "The God of the universe smiled on Cytodyn, and uh, everyone will understand that in a couple of weeks."   He admitted his bias, of course, but his optimism is refreshing.  
I thought that was kinda smarmy, tbh

Good point - I guess it is more the difference of wanting to be a passive investor vs. active, and I'm more of an index fund guy.  But yes - if you want choice, and are willing to put in the time, cash is the way to go.

ETA:  Also, by asking the question, I assumed the OP was newer to investing and not sure I would advise a new investor to be in individual stocks.  But he certainly has that option.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jayrok said:
I'm no scientist, but it seems that since leronlimab and Remdesivir work so differently that they could easily be used together.  At a minimum, leronlimab could have the Rollie Fingers role and be used when a patient doesn't respond to Remdesivir like with what happened with Dr. Otto Yang's patient.

Huge day today. 2/3 of my current holdings were up double digits.   Getting close to 20% return since peak Dow.  Sitting on 25% cash and will continue to target that amount in case we get another pullback. Wanted to sell a little at the end of the day, but I really like everything I’m holding as core positions as we rebound. Props again to everyone in this thread who have been helpful with picks. Many of the suggestions posted here this week in oil and finance came up huge today.  Time to go take a shower in @Todem bloomin sauce

Huge day today. 2/3 of my current holdings were up double digits.   Getting close to 20% return since peak Dow.  Sitting on 25% cash and will continue to target that amount in case we get another pullback. Wanted to sell a little at the end of the day, but I really like everything I’m holding as core positions as we rebound. Props again to everyone in this thread who have been helpful with picks. Many of the suggestions posted here this week in oil and finance came up huge today.  Time to go take a shower in @Todem bloomin sauce
How did you do in 2008 with BB&T?  I remember you being huge on them after the crash.  

You've got a lot more in cash than I do, by like 10 fold as a percentage, probably 100x in real numbers. 

Every single holding across 3 accounts was positive today (after purchasing BABA, that was down for the day) except CYDY. 🤷‍♂️

chet said:
Here's the replay.  Bruce Patterson and Jay Lalezari were great and Nader struggled.  

Really good explanation of how the disease works and why leronlimab will be the most effective treatment.  Essentially, you get sick from the virus but you die from the immunological storm that follows in severe cases.  

Does anyone know a site where I can upload some soundbites?
Sweet Dee & Dennis's real dad?  Did not see that coming.

ghostguy123 said:
Next, people seem to want things back to normal soooooooo badly both with real life and with the stock market.  Is it possible that we remain on the same path we are right now with things being closed for say the next 18 months, and the market stay where it is?  Can people WILL the stock market to success without any other tangible rationale for it?
No, even the Fed likely couldn't will the market for 18 months. Actually scratch that, the Fed can do whatever it wants but at that point, it'd be monopoly money. There is no way we can do status quo for 18 months and the market stays and we'd be a paltry 15% off all-time highs. I mean I think 15% off ATHs is crazy as it is so take that for what it's worth. But the longer this stuff continues, the bigger the gap between the winners and losers, the haves and have nots will widen. So even if the S&P may trade sideways, the longer this goes on, airlines will trend towards 0 while something like COST goes up. 

I did see this stat: "The 80% of the market called ex-FAANGM is still down 20% from the highs, even with all the gobs of support from the Fed, the Treasury and Congress. Four out of every five stocks are still in a bear market after all the “stimulus”. What to for an encore?"

I know analysts usually use the breadth or lack thereof as a sign of how good a rally is. But I almost think it makes more sense that this rally isn't broad based. While it could signify that this is a bear market rally, it could also show that the rest of the market hasn't really gotten that far ahead of itself and is still greater than 20% down. 

How did you do in 2008 with BB&T?  I remember you being huge on them after the crash.  
Probably alright. I think I sold everything off after it took 10 months to do a loan with them and went thru 3 different branch managers during that time frame. Figured if they were that clueless I shouldn’t be invested with them.  That said, everyone hates their bank. Well actually I love first citizens where I bank

ghostguy123 said:
Two random questions.

In my roth IRA, if there are dividends, they just get put into my available cash correct?  Nothing ever taxed in these accounts right?

Next, people seem to want things back to normal soooooooo badly both with real life and with the stock market.  Is it possible that we remain on the same path we are right now with things being closed for say the next 18 months, and the market stay where it is?  Can people WILL the stock market to success without any other tangible rationale for it?
Bro.......we would be in the wild wild west. The country, the world as you know it right now would cease to exist.  

You can’t be serious even making an assumption like this. 

The economy would not survive 4 months of a shutdown. 18 months? You are talking about the destruction of our way of life......permanently. 

We are all getting back to work over the next 6-8 weeks and natural selection is going to do what it does. It really is that simple. There are over 328 million people in the USA. If 0.006 of the population dies from the virus.....as harsh as this may sound (and believe me I am not minimizing anyones life what so ever) so be it. You can’t allow this to rule our way of life. We truly have no clue what the real mortality rate is because we are not testing 328 million people. 

18 months!!!! LOL lord brother. 1 month has been bad enough. Look at the job destruction.....in one month.  This is over. We are getting the country re-opened over the next month and half. We have too or we are done. The market will collapse.....and all of us would up ####s creek without a paddle. 

I am deadly serious about that. And there are idiots out there in the media and being interviewed by the media that are just out of the minds with these draconian suggestions of staying home for months upon months.....not freaking happening people. 

Ok rant over.

No, even the Fed likely couldn't will the market for 18 months. Actually scratch that, the Fed can do whatever it wants but at that point, it'd be monopoly money. There is no way we can do status quo for 18 months and the market stays and we'd be a paltry 15% off all-time highs. I mean I think 15% off ATHs is crazy as it is so take that for what it's worth. But the longer this stuff continues, the bigger the gap between the winners and losers, the haves and have nots will widen. So even if the S&P may trade sideways, the longer this goes on, airlines will trend towards 0 while something like COST goes up. 
There would no market anymore. No more financial markets, we would be trading gold and toilet paper. 

18 months!!! Of a shut down? We all would need to own guns. 

Probably alright. I think I sold everything off after it took 10 months to do a loan with them and went thru 3 different branch managers during that time frame. Figured if they were that clueless I shouldn’t be invested with them.  That said, everyone hates their bank. Well actually I love first citizens where I bank
Had same issue banking and loan wise.  With SECU now.  I knew you bought low, figured you made huge bank.

chet said:

Really good explanation of how the disease works and why leronlimab will be the most effective treatment.  Essentially, you get sick from the virus but you die from the immunological storm that follows in severe cases.  

Does anyone know a site where I can upload some soundbites?
Thanks for posting this. I was able to view the whole webinar. Generated more enthusiasm for the stock.

My Roth discourages me from adding to my shares unless I pay broker commission since its a penny stock.

Bro.......we would be in the wild wild west. The country, the world as you know it right now would cease to exist.  

The economy would not survive 4 months of a shutdown. 18 months? You are talking about the destruction of our way of life......permanently. 

We are all getting back to work over the next 6-8 weeks and natural selection is going to do what it does. It really is that simple. There are over 328 million people in the USA. If 0.006 of the population dies from the virus.....as harsh as this may sound (and believe me I am not minimizing anyones life what so ever) so be it. You can’t allow this to rule our way of life. We truly have no clue what the real mortality rate is because we are not testing 328 million people. 

18 months!!!! LOL lord brother. 1 month has been bad enough. Look at the job destruction.....in one month.  This is over. We are getting the country re-opened over the next month and half. We have too or we are done. The market will collapse.....and all of us would up ####s creek without a paddle. 

I am deadly serious about that. And there are idiots out there in the media and being interviewed by the media that are just out of the minds with these draconian suggestions of staying home for months upon months.....not freaking happening people. 

Ok rant over.
It was a hypothetical question.

I think things will for the most part be open in another month.

However, anything that is a huge gathering will be banned for quite some time.  Maybe till 2021.  Think concerts, sporting events.........

When you could have been in CYDY from the beginning, but blew it all on IP, you turn to your backup plan.

You Get Rich Woman Now!!
Why invest in paper?  Do you work in the paper industry?  Or did someone give you a recommendation?  Always invest in something you understand or believe in.  Obviously, investing in CYDY takes some faith.  But personally, it would take more faith from me to invest in the paper industry.

Why invest in paper?  Do you work in the paper industry?  Or did someone give you a recommendation?  Always invest in something you understand or believe in.  Obviously, investing in CYDY takes some faith.  But personally, it would take more faith from me to invest in the paper industry.
Not the Michael Scott Paper Company, in its hedyday....

Serious answer is I have two brokerage accounts and two Roths where I buy decent dividend stocks and sell covered calls against them, just salty (and a bit tipsy) that I got a haircut on IP.

OR

Serious answer is I have two brokerage accounts and two Roths where I buy decent dividend stocks and sell covered calls against them, just salty (and a bit tipsy) that I got a haircut on IP.

OR
But why did you invest in IP?  Did your broker recommend it?  I have a story about my parents.  They got in the stock market in about 1980.  They made 2 investments.  One of which was their idea and the other was the idea of their broker.  Their broker told them to invest in Seneca Oil.  It was trading at $9 a share but the broker said it was worth $18 a share.  They also invested in Mattel.  Mattel was my parents' pick.  They had kids at the time and knew that plastic toys were going to be big.  Mattel didn't go up right away and Seneca Oil dropped to $6 a share.  But their broker said Seneca was still worth $18 a share.  So my parents sold their Mattel stock and doubled up on Seneca.  Seneca went to $0.  Mattel exploded.  My parents knew more than their broker without knowing anything.

But why did you invest in IP?  Did your broker recommend it?  I have a story about my parents.  They got in the stock market in about 1980.  They made 2 investments.  One of which was their idea and the other was the idea of their broker.  Their broker told them to invest in Seneca Oil.  It was trading at $9 a share but the broker said it was worth $18 a share.  They also invested in Mattel.  Mattel was my parents' pick.  They had kids at the time and knew that plastic toys were going to be big.  Mattel didn't go up right away and Seneca Oil dropped to $6 a share.  But their broker said Seneca was still worth $18 a share.  So my parents sold their Mattel stock and doubled up on Seneca.  Seneca went to $0.  Mattel exploded.  My parents knew more than their broker without knowing anything.
Perhaps you missed my post where I admitted I was ###### autistic?

My strategy

It was a hypothetical question.

I think things will for the most part be open in another month.

However, anything that is a huge gathering will be banned for quite some time.  Maybe till 2021.  Think concerts, sporting events.........
Agree.

And hypothetically, no way the Fed can backstop that long....can’t happen.

I get what you're saying, but the applications far exceed 3D TV. Especially if social distancing becomes more routine. The training values for dangerous professions is huge. The military has been using various types for a while now. 

It's hasn't really caught on for the household but part of that is price. I'm not necessarily talking full blown VR, but augmented reality, even as simple as the Pokemon game which was big for a bit, or for use in sports can be big.

I don't think I'm saying anything really new here, I just haven't seen which companies are best yet. Google glass didn't cut it.
VR is interesting as I wonder how much this experience will change live events.  If we can't go to a concert until sometime next year, it would sure be cool to put on some headphones and VR glasses and go to a virtual concert.

Looks like Apple is about to (or maybe already has) bought NextVR who has partnerships in place with the NBA, Fox Sports, Wimbledon, and other live music and sporting event partners.

Ok rant over.
I'd like to see some of this rage focused on why the United States was not better prepared to contain the virus. It just didn't fall from the sky without warning like a tornado.

If we had been mobilized and taking the actions that are occurring now two-three months ago its a different story.  And I personally have a problem with those who talk about the death rate and the necessary harshness of killing off our people. I somehow feel that inside they do not think it can happen to them or someone they love.

We are going to have effective treatments soon and the United States would be well served to pump money into financing the research of those doing such work (companies are still doing too much of this on their own) and also indemnify those whose professions require them to treat the infected.

Here is another local article about Stephanie Mottet.

Vancouver company continues to see progress with possible coronavirus treatment

by Kellee Azar, KATU Staff    Saturday, April 18th 2020

VANCOUVER, Wash. — Vancouver Company CytoDyn continues to make great progress with their HIV drug, turned into possible coronavirus treatment.

The drug, Leronlimab, has been administered to more than 30 people. Many, even some severe cases, are seeing incredible improvements.

Samantha Mottet is one of those severe cases.

“I was really tired back on March 16th. Then the next day, I had a bit of an eye infection,” Mottet said.

She thought it was a cold.

By March 22, she knew something wasn't right.

“They did a chest X-ray and sent me home. They said, ‘You don’t have the flu, your chest looks good and our hospital is full of the coronavirus, so it’s best you go home.’ But they did swab my nose for coronavirus,” Mottet said.

A day later, that test came back positive.

And a week after that, Mottet was admitted to the hospital, not breathing on her own, hooked up to feeding tubes. Things, as she says, weren't looking good.

“I felt like the devil was trying to drag me down. That he had me by the jugular, and I fought tooth and nail to live,” Mottet said.

At times, she said she was certain she would die.

She said her doctors tried multiple experimental drugs.

But by April 1, things were worse. That’s when doctors decided to try the experimental drug Leronlimab, created by CytoDyn. On April 3, through a shot under her skin, they gave her the drug.

And within 24 hours, everything changed.

“Within 24 hours, my breathing tube was no longer needed and oxygen, I wasn’t needing as much oxygen. Then on April 5th, my 55th birthday, they took out my breathing and feeding tube. By the next day I didn’t need oxygen,” Mottet said.

Mottet was sent home shortly after, where she continues to recover. She says breathing is difficult at times, but she feels lucky to be alive.

As for CytoDyn, they are in Phase 2 of their FDA trial. They have four hospitals across the country who will be trying the drug Leronlimab. They say the drug has been administered to more than 30 people so far. All are seeing improvements. Ten people who received the drug were considered severe cases, Mottet was one of those cases.

Their hope is to get their drug approved by the FDA within the next month as a treatment for coronavirus.

Isn't that what a shot is?
Intramuscular(think crazy person being sedated), sub cutaneous(think insulin injection) or intradermal (think TB test where they slide the needle under your skin injecting a little liquid making a small bubble under your skin).

Not sure which one lebronsinthemob is. 

Intramuscular(think crazy person being sedated), sub cutaneous(think insulin injection) or intradermal (think TB test where they slide the needle under your skin injecting a little liquid making a small bubble under your skin).

Not sure which one lebronsinthemob is. 
Know what all those have in common? The shot goes through the skin

Users who are viewing this thread