What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (32 Viewers)

I used to tout BRZU (Brazil long leveraged etf) and I did make some coin but never had the guts to keep riding it and if you look at it, since it reverse split, it has gone completely parabolic. It’s odd because everything I’m seeing the Brazil economy is not doing very great and the virus is hitting them really hard. They have an insane sttong man hard right authoritative leader who is basically blowing off Covid while his people die. Ok, no more politics. I’m looking to take an inverse position next week in the short etf BZQ. I think you can bank 100% in less than two weeks. Of course don’t invest more than you can lose everything on. These aren’t for the faint of heart. Brazil is leading the world in new infections and I think the chickens will come home to roost.

Last edited by a moderator:
What mutual funds would you recommend for a new person who wants to get in on the market, wants to diversify, and doesn't want to manage it daily?

Thoughts on LK (Luckin  Coffee)? Lots of scandal regarding it's accounting practices, but showing signs of a rebound. Anyone willing to buy on a low(er) end?

What mutual funds would you recommend for a new person who wants to get in on the market, wants to diversify, and doesn't want to manage it daily?

Thoughts on LK (Luckin  Coffee)? Lots of scandal regarding it's accounting practices, but showing signs of a rebound. Anyone willing to buy on a low(er) end?
I would suggest VTI, Vanguard Total Stock Market ETF.  

LK is not something you want to buy and hold IMO.  Some folks in here have done well with short term trades but it is very volatile.

Seems like a good time to start a position in MET if you're a dividend investor. Hits all the value stock buttons and seems to be leaving its base. It's not for me but if I was looking for income, it's a 4.52% yield and they raised the dividend at the end of April which is saying something.

I don’t understand any of this. Looks like maybe he says the 3rd quarter could be ugly? Care to explain for a clueless person?
I mean calling exact timing is fool's errand. Not to mention, 3Q starts in three weeks so could be then or in September. I probably should have provided some background but didn't want to just regurgitate it. I mean, at the end of the day, you can always find indicators that point to buying or selling. Heck, people can look at the same indicator and call it bearish or bullish. 

Full disclosure, I've been bearish on the way up. Didn't like the rally at 2,750, liked it less at 3,000 and obviously don't like it now. While the market is forward looking, it's just been awfully optimistic. Obviously that has been rewarded. But the main reason I posted that is that a lot of folks try to use that it's the most hated rally ever, there is a ton of money on the sidelines (via hedge funds and CTAs) with their net short positions in the futures indicate this could run a lot further as those funds will have to close out shorts and go long. You essentially need to start finding incremental buyers to keep it going higher.

So my big takeaway is just that some of the gasoline that people point out to to keep things going may not be as great as people think. If and when some of these long/short HFs turn bullish, it's unlikely they'll be able to carry the market that much higher. The put/call ratio is one of those that people can use to justify either position but I usually look at it as a contra-indicator. Essentially a put/call ratio below 1 means that people are buying more calls than puts. That means people are bullish and that is helping to carry the market higher but at least at extreme levels, it points to irrational exuberance. It means that people are getting complacent with this market and that people think the market will go higher so are likely fully invested. So if selling starts happening, you may not have a lot of money to buy the dip. 

Like I said, you can probably find indicators that point to new ATHs. And that article doesn't necessarily dispute that. I think it just highlights that folks are actually invested in this market a lot more than people have said. I think on top of what that article stated, you're seeing '99 level irrationality driven by retail folks. How long can that last? Your guess is as good as mine. If you want to trade it and make money on a bankrupt Hertz? You can probably make some money. But if you're investing long-term, I'd just be cautious. I wouldn't be throwing a ton of money into this market right now and if you wanted to pare down your risk, assuming you've either ridden back the market or maybe invested at the bottom, I think that is prudent. Market irrationality can exist a long time and you're starting to see that with behavior in here or tweets like this (https://twitter.com/stoolpresidente/status/1269706445299335171). In my experience, the people who do well in the long-term aren't worried about picking up pennies in front of steamroller or chasing markets like this. Stick to the game-plan. Don't take money out of your house or put any savings you may need into the market thinking it'll double or triple because you saw someone do that last month. 

It's late to be delisted.  Now maybe people have inside information that this won't happen and that;s driving the price up.  Too much money to be made in US stocks to mess with china IMO.

I made some money last week on Singapore Airlines.  There may be more to be made there if it follows the US Airlines.

WFC is still trading in the low 30s.  Can anyone explain to me why this stock isn't a lock to be trading in the $45-$50 range in the next two years?

If all these hoards of protesting people all over the country dont cause a huge spike in cases, then ya gotta think everything just opens with minimal restrictions right?  

My lord some of these crowds are just massive shoulder to shoulder oceans of people.  

WFC is still trading in the low 30s.  Can anyone explain to me why this stock isn't a lock to be trading in the $45-$50 range in the next two years?
Solid buy long...who knows in the short term.  

Most of the banks are good value right now IMHO.  I've been holding JPM  for a few months now...I'm playing it long.

If all these hoards of protesting people all over the country dont cause a huge spike in cases, then ya gotta think everything just opens with minimal restrictions right?  

My lord some of these crowds are just massive shoulder to shoulder oceans of people.  
The spike (or at least significant rises) are happening already. 

is this still EXACTLY what a Bear rally looks like?    :lol:   Steady gains the past 3 months has SPY over 320 pre-market today .... higher than any point in 2019.

But the record unemployed .. and small business closings ... it's a recession ... no, we're in a depression ...   :rolleyes:

I've started putting more cash back in. I'll take my chances on the second "crash" that so many of the so called experts are calling for. 

is this still EXACTLY what a Bear rally looks like?    :lol:   Steady gains the past 3 months has SPY over 320 pre-market today .... higher than any point in 2019.

But the record unemployed .. and small business closings ... it's a recession ... no, we're in a depression ...   :rolleyes:

I've started putting more cash back in. I'll take my chances on the second "crash" that so many of the so called experts are calling for. 
I have no idea. But I'll bet on stonks being higher in a few years than today.

Right now I'm just cheering for another ~3% gain this week so I can regain that second comma. 

I did own it and lost   Dollar costing down and as soon as I got the pop I sold. Essentially reduced my cost basis by 4% for the amount I was comfortable with. Pretty hard to get too excited about it trading at 80% of its peak when there were stocks on the board like the airlines and kohl’s and financials begging for a double up
I hadn’t looked at Kohl’s before. Do you think it’s still a decent value here?

I used to tout BRZU (Brazil long leveraged etf) and I did make some coin but never had the guts to keep riding it and if you look at it, since it reverse split, it has gone completely parabolic. It’s odd because everything I’m seeing the Brazil economy is not doing very great and the virus is hitting them really hard. They have an insane sttong man hard right authoritative leader who is basically blowing off Covid while his people die. Ok, no more politics. I’m looking to take an inverse position next week in the short etf BZQ. I think you can bank 100% in less than two weeks. Of course don’t invest more than you can lose everything on. These aren’t for the faint of heart. Brazil is leading the world in new infections and I think the chickens will come home to roost.
Thanks....

I wanted to take a $500 starting position at the open.  Saw it in the green and about fell over that I had actually bought $5000.  It was up 1% so I fixed that error and made quick $45.  That could have gotten ugly in a hurry.

I hadn’t looked at Kohl’s before. Do you think it’s still a decent value here?
I sold most of mine off.  I'm torn on it.  They should benefit from the competitors that have gone under in the long run, but man their locations were filled with a lot of inventory shuttered up for a long time.  I'll probably add on a pull back, but if it just marches onward I will let it go.  It's approaching WFC position relative to past pricing.  I fell more comfortable that WFC has less downside.

I sold most of mine off.  I'm torn on it.  They should benefit from the competitors that have gone under in the long run, but man their locations were filled with a lot of inventory shuttered up for a long time.  I'll probably add on a pull back, but if it just marches onward I will let it go.  It's approaching WFC position relative to past pricing.  I fell more comfortable that WFC has less downside.
I ask myself with retail whether we shop there or if it's big among teens. Neither really applies with Kohl's. Wife goes there occasionally but it's definitely not a primary store.

BassNBrew said:
Bear case: Asset cap doesn't get lifted, rates go negative, and the new CEO can't solve cultural/cost issues.

Considering taking my 10% gain and walking on NARI, not that I don't still believe longterm... I just see a bunch of more immediate bigger opportunities.  

From what I can see, Lenzilumab is somewhat similar to Leronlimab, but it seems like it's behind time-wise.  Lenzilumab started a Phase III clinical study in April 30 and did not announce the first enrollee until May 15.  The target end date of the study is currently Sept.   In my completely non-professional opinion, if Leronlimab presents good data July 1, by the time Sept rolls around the Covid ship for Lenzilumab could very well have sailed already.

Lenzilumab Study

Also, Humanigen is also OTC (HGEN)
And on no news that I see, HGEN  jumped 35% today to a 52 week high (3.39), dropped back to 3.10 and now back around 3.30

DraftKings tumbling again.  Anybody getting in or adding more?
About a 20% drop from it's peak a week ago.  BETZ still green for today and DKNG is the largest holding in that.  

I do like DKNG for a little day/week trading action with how much it's been moving.  BETZ I'm strictly holding long and until all sports are back.  

Like more of the todem plays.

I feel like I can come back to NARI in a month or two and still be in the 50s.  

Of course the more I type the less sense I feel like I am making.  :lol:
I’m with you.  So many great buys if the market keeps running.  If it doesn’t, they’ll drop 10-30% and I’ll feel like an idiot if I buy now.

Users who are viewing this thread