What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (11 Viewers)

I hope that’s not where you are putting large portions of what you want to invest. I’ve got a lot (sold 1/3 at $6.50 to kind of cover costs) of CYDY but it’s just a few percent and still up a bunch. Outside of that, everything I own is what I want for long term. Doesn’t mean I won’t sell some but it’s not speculative. All three stocks you listed are very speculative and it says something that the Bitcoin one may be the most stable. It wouldn’t shock me if all the people who talked up RWLK before you bought don’t own any right now.
These three represent just over 10% of my portfolio. Looking to bail from all speculative stocks (aren't they all?) and put back in measured portfolio as mentioned before.

These three represent just over 10% of my portfolio. Looking to bail from all speculative stocks (aren't they all?) and put back in measured portfolio as mentioned before.
They are all speculation but there’s a difference between buying Amazon right now and the others. 10% is definitely too much in those 3, because I think you had some other stuff similar as well. CYDY is probably about 4% of my portfolio now but it was closer to 1% when I bought it. Those stocks are down so they were closer to 15%+ before. Definitely way more than I could handle. I’ve gotten hammered the last two days but I’m OK with what I have. They ran up like crazy and June had a pretty hard pull back as well and I think a lesser one end of July. Really speculative stuff is typically a much shorter hold, which in some cases can be a much bigger tax hit making the stock even riskier. Good luck.

Hoping ROKU dumps a bit more.  Been looking to get into that one.
I watched ROKU for a while, got mad I didn’t buy it under $100 last year before it shot up to about where it is now. Bought some at $90ish on 3/9 and $65 on 3/16. It’s done well since that bottom. Like it long term as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
MIL turned over the keys to her account to me today.  She's had her account with a financial advisor (FA) and has lost money over the last five years.  Within 30 minutes she (FA) called her to find about why individual stocks were being purchased in MILs account.  MIL told her what was going on. FA says looks like he bought some Amazon, Sales Force, and a couple of companies I haven't heard of called DKNG and HGEN.  I bought HGEN at $1.99 and it was somewhere between $2.25 and $2.30. at that time.  Purchased 8 stocks for her today and all are int he green.  The FA has gotten 1% every year and in 1/2 a day her account has outperformed what the FA has done in 5 years.

As a side note, MIL asked the FA to buy amazon at $2400 but FA talked her out of it.  FA wouldn't and set up limit orders that were still there for $2200 and $2000.  FA said at the time that Amazon was overpriced at $2400.  FA said to her today that she wouldn't be surprised if those limit orders hit in by the middle of next week.  Just wanted to pass along that pro tip to you.

MIL turned over the keys to her account to me today.  She's had her account with a financial advisor (FA) and has lost money over the last five years.  Within 30 minutes she (FA) called her to find about why individual stocks were being purchased in MILs account.  MIL told her what was going on. FA says looks like he bought some Amazon, Sales Force, and a couple of companies I haven't heard of called DKNG and HGEN.  I bought HGEN at $1.99 and it was somewhere between $2.25 and $2.30. at that time.  Purchased 8 stocks for her today and all are int he green.  The FA has gotten 1% every year and in 1/2 a day her account has outperformed what the FA has done in 5 years.

As a side note, MIL asked the FA to buy amazon at $2400 but FA talked her out of it.  FA wouldn't and set up limit orders that were still there for $2200 and $2000.  FA said at the time that Amazon was overpriced at $2400.  FA said to her today that she wouldn't be surprised if those limit orders hit in by the middle of next week.  Just wanted to pass along that pro tip to you.
Can I give you my keys?

A lot of bad FA’s out there. Just like Bad Doctors, lawyers, CPA’s etc etc etc etc.

Todem said:
A lot of bad FA’s out there. Just like Bad Doctors, lawyers, CPA’s etc etc etc etc.
Yeah...that absolutely wasn't a shot at you.  You seem to have that perfect balance of growth and value that serves people well.  I think a lot of the older FAs are stuck on PE ratios to their detriment.  Added EXC today to that account.  Basically going to model it after your list.  She has had a run of bad luck.  3 bad FAs in a row.  Over 20 years she's probably down 30-40%.  At least this last one hasn't lost her money.

Yeah...that absolutely wasn't a shot at you.  You seem to have that perfect balance of growth and value that serves people well.  I think a lot of the older FAs are stuck on PE ratios to their detriment.  Added EXC today to that account.  Basically going to model it after your list.  She has had a run of bad luck.  3 bad FAs in a row.  Over 20 years she's probably down 30-40%.  At least this last one hasn't lost her money.
No offense taken at all. And that is awful. Hate to see that sort of thing. 

When it comes to growth I never get stuck on PE’s save for when they get incredibly out of hand on a company with little to no Moat. Then my red flags go up everywhere. 

Sheesh.  I thought I'd had some missteps by simply not making enough.

Added to some positions, only bigger move was MSFT.  Eyeing CRWD after seeing some 160-170 target prices.

And added AAPL since everyone else was doing it.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Sheesh.  I thought I'd had some missteps by simply not making enough.
Old people get ripped off.  The last guy had her in some fund that charged 3%-5% (I think it's the later but don't what to exaggerate) a year.  I couldn't even understand it after he explained it to me.  I flat out asked him how much commission he got on that and why not just go QQQ.  He never would answer my question.  I told her to dump him but he was a smooth talker and managed to keep her around for another couple of years before the losses got to big to hide.

Amazing that AAPL ended up slightly today after being down over 7% earlier. Should have added even more :lol:  
The one I don’t get outside of FOMO is Tesla. I mean they were the most overvalued of all the stocks I watch and didn’t get whacked as much as stocks that blew away earnings, which Tesla didn’t do. Up today amazes me, based on how much it ran up due to a split and due to being in the S&P. Still a lot of froth in it in my opinion. 

The one I don’t get outside of FOMO is Tesla. I mean they were the most overvalued of all the stocks I watch and didn’t get whacked as much as stocks that blew away earnings, which Tesla didn’t do. Up today amazes me, based on how much it ran up due to a split and due to being in the S&P. Still a lot of froth in it in my opinion. 
wouldn't touch Tesla...

Dumped TQQQ and SPXL before close for a nice 15/7% bump. Rode that wave nicely. Almost made up for some other dogs  :lol:  

Users who are viewing this thread