What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Buffalo Bills - Same as it ever was*** (12 Viewers)

I'd be fine with them drafting O-line ahead of WR but not RB or TE. They need a true #1 WR, like Golladay, who can just go up and win 50/50 balls. Josh doesn't have that right now. He has either speed or possession guys, nobody is both and nobody is big besides Logan Thomas. I just think the benefit of a #1 WR outweigh the benefit and availability of a good RB or TE.
Absolutely, especially RB- have we not learned anything from wasting all that money on Shady? RB is the last place they should be spending assets, outside of a special few they are a dime a dozen.

Foster has 4 straight games at 95+ yards receiving. That's still a small sample size, but this guy may seriously be good. Think you guys are selling him short.

😪 This week will be Kyle Williams's last game. So glad that he got the playoffs last year and to be a part of developing their future with Edmunds, Phillips, etc.

Truly one of the Buffalo greats.

😪 This week will be Kyle Williams's last game. So glad that he got the playoffs last year and to be a part of developing their future with Edmunds, Phillips, etc.

Truly one of the Buffalo greats.
The image that I'll always remember from Week 17 2017 will be Kyle Williams celebrating with his kids in the locker room after Cincinnati beat Baltimore.  What a great moment to capture on video.  

(This makes me miss Eric Wood too).

Bills Pass Up Super Accurate Non-Racist QB For Scattershot Rocket Arm With Sketchy Social Media
This needed to be on record
Good thing you did. wonder if @GroveDiesel feels any different about their selection now

ETA: looks like he does... 

All I know is that the Bills are actually fun to watch right now with Josh Allen. And heading into that last drive, for the first time in a long time, I actually had some hope that they would pull it off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good thing you did. wonder if @GroveDiesel feels any different about their selection now

ETA: looks like he does... 
Eh, it was said tongue in cheek for the most part. The only QB that I really liked coming into the draft was Mayfield. 

As it stands now, we're a long way from knowing anything for sure on any of them, but I'd probably take Allen right behind Mayfield at this point. His upside is still the highest and he's darn fun to watch. Darnold, Rosen and Jackson all seem destined to be anywhere from mediocre to good, but none of those 3 look like they have the potential to be special to me.

Eh, it was said tongue in cheek for the most part. The only QB that I really liked coming into the draft was Mayfield. 

As it stands now, we're a long way from knowing anything for sure on any of them, but I'd probably take Allen right behind Mayfield at this point. His upside is still the highest and he's darn fun to watch. Darnold, Rosen and Jackson all seem destined to be anywhere from mediocre to good, but none of those 3 look like they have the potential to be special to me.
I would agree. I worry about Allen's long term health as running QBs seem to have trouble with staying healthy. And those who have some ability to run will need to adapt their game as they get older and potentially slower. His rushing puts him at a low floor for now, but QBs like him seem to have sophomore slumps as more teams start to figure them out. Mariota was one. Same with Goff- teams are getting more film on LAR and they see what works. 

No ill intent with my quote. I just thought it was interesting that many people in here were pretty bummed about Allen. I remember reading "we drafted the wrong Josh" somewhere in this thread. Hindsight is always funny to look back on, as long as you can laugh at yourself! 

I would agree. I worry about Allen's long term health as running QBs seem to have trouble with staying healthy. And those who have some ability to run will need to adapt their game as they get older and potentially slower. His rushing puts him at a low floor for now, but QBs like him seem to have sophomore slumps as more teams start to figure them out. Mariota was one. Same with Goff- teams are getting more film on LAR and they see what works. 

No ill intent with my quote. I just thought it was interesting that many people in here were pretty bummed about Allen. I remember reading "we drafted the wrong Josh" somewhere in this thread. Hindsight is always funny to look back on, as long as you can laugh at yourself! 
I'm still surprised that Rosen looked as bad as he did. One of the knocks was that he didn't do great when pressured because he didn't move well. Not sure if that was part of it or what. But his lack of accuracy when that was supposed to be his biggest plus has been surprising.

One positive for Bills fans, winning in Week 17 only cost them 2 draft positions. All things considered, I'll take the loss of 2 positions to send Kyle off with a game like that and have Allen finish the year like that.

I'm still surprised that Rosen looked as bad as he did. One of the knocks was that he didn't do great when pressured because he didn't move well. Not sure if that was part of it or what. But his lack of accuracy when that was supposed to be his biggest plus has been surprising.
I still have hope for him to take that step toward "looking great"

He certainly did not look very good to start the year. But he did not have much protection

One positive for Bills fans, winning in Week 17 only cost them 2 draft positions. All things considered, I'll take the loss of 2 positions to send Kyle off with a game like that and have Allen finish the year like that.
They actually would have picked either 5th or 6th had they lost (tied with the Bucs) so it cost them 3 or 4 spots in the draft.

That said, I'm more annoyed by the 1 pt. wins against the Titans and the Lions.

They actually would have picked either 5th or 6th had they lost (tied with the Bucs) so it cost them 3 or 4 spots in the draft.

Those are the games I was looking back at, too. 4-12 would have been an even better draft spot. That said, it doesn't feel like there will be a on of trading up into the top 6 this year, so maybe they're fine, as is.

I'd be thrilled with one of the top OL in the first and a WR in round 2.

I saw a mock today that had them taking Gary (from MI) in the first. If they spend more early draft capital on Defense this year I'll be pretty peeved.

Joe Buscaglia has been pretty on top of this (even so far as to showing why the Bills would pick 9th and not 10th like the NFL originally tweeted out last night).

He says Bills would have picked 7th if they had won: Link

Joe Buscaglia has been pretty on top of this (even so far as to showing why the Bills would pick 9th and not 10th like the NFL originally tweeted out last night).

He says Bills would have picked 7th if they had won: Link
That's possible, I was just looking at the current SOS.

Still annoying that they are drafting 9th when realistically there are only a couple of teams that were clearly worse than them this year IMO.

Still annoying that they are drafting 9th when realistically there are only a couple of teams that were clearly worse than them this year IMO.
The Bills started off the season as a historically bad team, literally.  By Week 17 though, I think they were legitimately better than everyone they're drafting behind.  I mean, would you really want to trade rosters with San Francisco?  Jacksonville?  The Giants?  For that matter, would you want to swap francises with the Dolphins or Broncos or Redskins right now?  I wouldn't.  

Edit: I honestly think the Jets are the only team in the top 10 that wouldn't trade rosters and staff with us given the choice, and we're about on par.

The Bills started off the season as a historically bad team, literally.  By Week 17 though, I think they were legitimately better than everyone they're drafting behind.  I mean, would you really want to trade rosters with San Francisco?  Jacksonville?  The Giants?  For that matter, would you want to swap francises with the Dolphins or Broncos or Redskins right now?  I wouldn't.  

Edit: I honestly think the Jets are the only team in the top 10 that wouldn't trade rosters and staff with us given the choice, and we're about on par.
But that's not how it works- you draft based on the entire season, not just the finish or if you'd trade rosters with someone else.

That being said, the Bills are pretty clearly one of the most talent deprived teams in the NFL right now IMO. Hopefully that changes if they can hit on this draft and in free agency.

But that's not how it works- you draft based on the entire season, not just the finish or if you'd trade rosters with someone else.

That being said, the Bills are pretty clearly one of the most talent deprived teams in the NFL right now IMO. Hopefully that changes if they can hit on this draft and in free agency.
They need a bit more depth on defense, but I think it would be hard to argue that they're talent deprived on that side of the ball. CB looked to be a major issue heading into the season, but Taron Johnson was great as the slot corner until he got hurt and Levi Wallace looks like he may be a solid #2 CB. If Edmunds takes another step forward, Milano comes back healthy and they get Alexander back for another year, they will be fine at LBer at least for next year. I'm still not exactly sure what to make of the D-line, but they certainly have talent.

Now the offense, that's a whole different story. There's only 5 or 6 offensive players that I think truly should be definites to come back and be part of the plan going forward (Allen, Dawkins, Jones, Foster, Croom and maybe Teller). Maybe Ford as well. Other than those guys, I don't think they have anyone with much future promise. Even Dawkins should probably be moved to RT and I see Foster and Jones topping out as a 2 or 3 type WR.

I think one thing we can say is that this staff can coach up a defense. Very very impressive what they have done w/ guys like T. Johnson, Milano, Poyer, Wallace.  

I personally don't think anyone except Allen and Foster are safe on the offensive side of the ball.  I'd expect them to really address OL in FA and then grab one of the top TEs in the draft. 

If they had an average offense this year, they probably win 10 games

They need a bit more depth on defense, but I think it would be hard to argue that they're talent deprived on that side of the ball. CB looked to be a major issue heading into the season, but Taron Johnson was great as the slot corner until he got hurt and Levi Wallace looks like he may be a solid #2 CB. If Edmunds takes another step forward, Milano comes back healthy and they get Alexander back for another year, they will be fine at LBer at least for next year. I'm still not exactly sure what to make of the D-line, but they certainly have talent.

Now the offense, that's a whole different story. There's only 5 or 6 offensive players that I think truly should be definites to come back and be part of the plan going forward (Allen, Dawkins, Jones, Foster, Croom and maybe Teller). Maybe Ford as well. Other than those guys, I don't think they have anyone with much future promise. Even Dawkins should probably be moved to RT and I see Foster and Jones topping out as a 2 or 3 type WR.
There are a lot of "if's" and "may be's" in there, but I agree, they have some talent on defense. However, we're talking about the entire team and comparing it to the rest of the league. IMO there are only a few teams with less talent overall on the roster at the moment.

I've said almost the exact same thing a few times over the last couple weeks. Besides Mayfield, I wouldn't take any of the other rookie QB's over Allen right now, and that's not even a sure thing given Allen's potential - which is most definitely the highest of all of them. That last game was so encouraging and fun to watch.

Allen week 17's AFC Offensive Player of the Week and Edmunds the Defensive Rookie of the Month 😆

I've said almost the exact same thing a few times over the last couple weeks. Besides Mayfield, I wouldn't take any of the other rookie QB's over Allen right now, and that's not even a sure thing given Allen's potential - which is most definitely the highest of all of them. That last game was so encouraging and fun to watch.

Allen week 17's AFC Offensive Player of the Week and Edmunds the Defensive Rookie of the Month 😆
Jim Kelly, Bruce Smith

I find it a little bit odd that the Bills fired the WR and OL coaches. Sure those units have underachieved, but they are about as devoid of talent in those units as any teams in the league. Very interesting...

I find it a little bit odd that the Bills fired the WR and OL coaches. Sure those units have underachieved, but they are about as devoid of talent in those units as any teams in the league. Very interesting...
I was a little surprised by Robiskie.  He seemed to get the most out of a terrible WR group once we finally got rid of Benjamin.  He seemed to get Zay on the right track and turned Foster into a legit weapon.  

Hope they have a good replacement for both seeing that I’m assuming we address both WR and Oline early in the draft. 

Hope they have a good replacement for both seeing that I’m assuming we address both WR and Oline early in the draft. 
I sure hope they don't use this as an excuse to not address those areas early...

"We had bad coaching. Let's go with what we have and draft more defense."

I sure hope they don't use this as an excuse to not address those areas early...

"We had bad coaching. Let's go with what we have and draft more defense."
I am a bit surprised by the firing of Castillo and Robiskie, but I don't think that the team is unaware of their personnel needs. My guess is that they know that they'll be bringing in plenty of young talent at those positions and want to go after younger coaches who can develop young players.

Robiskie surprised me the most as I agree that there seemed to be decent development for the young receivers, especially with their lack of pedigree. As for the O-line, the Bills didn't have a lot of blue chip draft picks there, but O-line doesn't always need that. There seemed to be very little development of young guys there and pretty poor play of veterans. I'm ok with moving on there.

And it was way beyond time for Crossman to go. Special teams has been not very good for a long time under him. Crazy that he lasted as long as he did through as many coaches as he lasted. Tons of dumb special teams penalties, no adaptation to new rules, and way way way too many times guys taking it out of the endzone (only to get tackled at the 20).

I think any writer that is linking the Buffalo Bills to Antonio Brown must not be paying attention to what the organization is trying to build.  

I don’t want to trade any picks (especially a 1st) for a player that is as selfish as he is.  I don’t care if he’s an all world talent.  

I think any writer that is linking the Buffalo Bills to Antonio Brown must not be paying attention to what the organization is trying to build.  

I don’t want to trade any picks (especially a 1st) for a player that is as selfish as he is.  I don’t care if he’s an all world talent.  
They only sign players with strong Christian beliefs. I agree Antonio Brown isn't coming here let alone giving up an asset.

I'd love Bell but he's not a "process" guy.  I'd pay Bell 15-16m a season over a guy like Moncrief or Tyrell Williams who will get $10m. Free agency is gross, guys like Albert Wilson get paid.  Now I don't think they'll sign Bell, he'd be the only free agent RB I'd consider.  I'd just draft a guy in round 3-5.

My List: - Hopefully they can add two lineman off here.

1. Matt Paradis

2. Le'Veon Bell

3. Donovan Smith

4.  Mitch Morse -

5. Grady Jarett

6. Golden Tate

7. Daryl Williams

8. Tyrell Williams

9. Roger Saffold

10. Cole Beasley

Glowinski, Max Williams, Jesse James, Tyler Eifert, CJ Uzomah, Jordan Phillips, Bobby Massie, Adam Humphires, Bradley Roby, Clay Matthews

I figure they'll land 2-3 potential starters in free agency.  The problem is many teams in the AFC have a TON of cap money too.  Colts, Jets, Browns, Texans.

and then others like the Raiders, Bengals, Broncos.  

I like that list in general, but I'm a hard "no" on Bell- they've already wasted way too much money at the RB position for putrid results, no reason to make it worse. I'd go in the opposite direction, cut Shady and spend that money on almost any other position.

Mr. Peterson said:
Anyone know anything about this Bobby Johnson guy we just hired as our new Oline coach? 
He was the assistant OL coach to the Colts this year when they totally turned around their line. Was assistant OL coach for Bills in 2010-2011.

Also Eric Wood and Kyle Rudolph both praised the signing.

That's the extent of what I know.

What's the feeling on Robert Foster's potential?  Picked him up late in the season under an injury crunch and didn't get to see him in action.  Undrafted but stats suggest he can be a deep threat.  Can he be an above average, regular part of their offense?

They only sign players with strong Christian beliefs. 
I like most the stuff you post on here, but you gotta let this one go.  It’s not true.  There’s plenty of players on this team who don’t have strong Christian beliefs.  

I get it, Peterman’s wife and McDermott's wife went to church together.  But I highly doubt that’s how Beanne and McDermott make their football decisions.  Yes, they typically look for high character players and players that are Christian usually have those qualities.  But it’s not like Beanne checks what church they go to or if they are saved.  

“Bills released TE Charles Clay.

Clay was due a $9 million cap hit in 2019, so cutting him was a no-brainer. With his release, the Bills will save $4.5 million against the cap while eating $4.5 million in dead money. Signed to an ambitious five-year, $38 million contract in 2015, Clay was a chronic underachiever during his four-year run in Western New York. The 30-year-old was essentially invisible in 2018, managing a meager 21-184-0 receiving line over 13 lackluster appearances. He was a healthy scratch for the Bills' final two games. We doubt Clay's phone will be ringing off the hook with offers, though he could be a fit for a tight-end-needy team like the Lions.”

So are we taking a TE in this draft or looking to FA? 

“Bills released TE Charles Clay.

Clay was due a $9 million cap hit in 2019, so cutting him was a no-brainer. With his release, the Bills will save $4.5 million against the cap while eating $4.5 million in dead money. Signed to an ambitious five-year, $38 million contract in 2015, Clay was a chronic underachiever during his four-year run in Western New York. The 30-year-old was essentially invisible in 2018, managing a meager 21-184-0 receiving line over 13 lackluster appearances. He was a healthy scratch for the Bills' final two games. We doubt Clay's phone will be ringing off the hook with offers, though he could be a fit for a tight-end-needy team like the Lions.”

So are we taking a TE in this draft or looking to FA? 
Both?

Oh.  Thanks.   :)

So what’s the big play?  Going heavy in FA?  Early in the draft?  We really don’t have anyone of significance on the roster. 
I don't want them to spend early draft capital at TE. I view the position a lot like RB. Unless you have a true stud, a mediocre one is sufficient.

Grab a FA, take a flyer with a 5th or 6th...

Oh.  Thanks.   :)

So what’s the big play?  Going heavy in FA?  Early in the draft?  We really don’t have anyone of significance on the roster. 
I think it’s a deep and good TE class. They might draft 2 guys this year. But at least one I would think

I don't want them to spend early draft capital at TE. I view the position a lot like RB. Unless you have a true stud, a mediocre one is sufficient.

Grab a FA, take a flyer with a 5th or 6th...
I’m thinking the same thing.  I don’t want us to take a TE in the first for sure.  And only take one in the 2nd or 3rd if one falls to us and we plan on him being a featured weapon for Allen.  

But I don’t think there’s one in FA I would like us to sign. 

I’d be ok if the Bills sign RT Daryl Williams and CB Kevin Johnson to a prove it kind of deal.  Too many injury concerns but both obviously very talented.  

I’m thinking the same thing.  I don’t want us to take a TE in the first for sure.  And only take one in the 2nd or 3rd if one falls to us and we plan on him being a featured weapon for Allen.  

But I don’t think there’s one in FA I would like us to sign. 
There's been a lot of chatter about the Bills going after Dwayne Allen as a blocking TE. 

The big thing here is that we don't necessarily want to load up on rookies. We need some veterans to help out as we have a young QB. Rookie TEs generally don't make immediate impacts in their rookie seasons. There are always exceptions obviously, but for the most part they have a steep learning curve.

Not way.  Antonio Brown to the Bills? 

If this is true I really really hope we don’t give up a 1st.  I’m actually not a fan of this move at all.  Guy is a selfish locker room cancer.  

Or a selfish, me first guy that will scream and yell at Josh when he doesn’t help Browns stats.  This could end up hurting Allen’s progress. 
Could be both.  I don't know. I would be excited as long as the first round pick isn't included. 

Users who are viewing this thread