What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Buffalo Bills - Same as it ever was*** (4 Viewers)

I'm not knocking any pick they made. I just think it's not a bad idea to keep drafting QBs until you find one. If you wind up with two or three good ones, some team out there will be glad to take one off your hands for a premium.

I think it was a good draft and I really like Whaleys aggressive approach. Pretty excited about the talent and depth on offense now. A lot riding on EJ so hopefully he can stay healthy and win a lot of games.

I'm still learning how to Faust properly.

Borden said:
Bills should have simply made a run at Jimmy Graham

Posted by Mike Florio on May 11, 2014, 7:17 PM EDT
graham.jpg
Getty ImagesThe Bills made a big splash on the first night of the draft, sending the ninth overall pick in the draft, a 2015 first-round selection, and a 2015 fourth-round pick to the Browns for the ability to secure the rights to receiverSammy Watkins.

It was a bold move by G.M. Doug Whaley. Some would call it insanity to give up that much for an unproven receiver. If it’s insanity, it was calculated.

Whaley knows he’ll soon have a new owner. Whaley needs to make the team into a contender so that the new owner won’t be able to sell firing Whaley to the fan base. Otherwise, Whaley will be a former General Manager, and former General Managers in recent years have had a hard time becoming General Managers again.

But if Whaley was opting for calculated insanity, Whaley should have gone all in, taking the best available player with the ninth overall pick in 2014 and then promptly signing Saints tight end Jimmy Graham to an offer sheet.

By crafting an offer sheet that the Saints wouldn’t or couldn’t match, the Bills could have had him for first-round picks in 2015 and 2016. Which means that could have used their 2014 first-round pick while also giving up future picks that Whaley may not be there to use.

In the end, the Bills gave up more to get Watkins than they would have had to give up to get Graham. For Watkins, it was two first-round picks (one of which was a top-10 selection in 2014) and a fourth-round pick. For Graham, it would have been a first-round pick in 2015 and a first-round pick in 2016.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/11/bills-should-have-simply-made-a-run-at-jimmy-graham/

I'm still learning how to Faust properly.

Borden said:
Bills should have simply made a run at Jimmy Graham

Posted by Mike Florio on May 11, 2014, 7:17 PM EDT
graham.jpg
Getty ImagesThe Bills made a big splash on the first night of the draft, sending the ninth overall pick in the draft, a 2015 first-round selection, and a 2015 fourth-round pick to the Browns for the ability to secure the rights to receiverSammy Watkins.

It was a bold move by G.M. Doug Whaley. Some would call it insanity to give up that much for an unproven receiver. If it’s insanity, it was calculated.

Whaley knows he’ll soon have a new owner. Whaley needs to make the team into a contender so that the new owner won’t be able to sell firing Whaley to the fan base. Otherwise, Whaley will be a former General Manager, and former General Managers in recent years have had a hard time becoming General Managers again.

But if Whaley was opting for calculated insanity, Whaley should have gone all in, taking the best available player with the ninth overall pick in 2014 and then promptly signing Saints tight end Jimmy Graham to an offer sheet.

By crafting an offer sheet that the Saints wouldn’t or couldn’t match, the Bills could have had him for first-round picks in 2015 and 2016. Which means that could have used their 2014 first-round pick while also giving up future picks that Whaley may not be there to use.

In the end, the Bills gave up more to get Watkins than they would have had to give up to get Graham. For Watkins, it was two first-round picks (one of which was a top-10 selection in 2014) and a fourth-round pick. For Graham, it would have been a first-round pick in 2015 and a first-round pick in 2016.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/11/bills-should-have-simply-made-a-run-at-jimmy-graham/
See, here's the thing: while Watkins was a "win now" move, it wasn't financially reckless. Watkins contract will cost the Bills' salary cap $19,935,603 over four years. Meanwhile, the Bills divested themselves of the Stevie Johnson contract which broke out like this: (2014) 3,925,000, (2015) 6,025,000, and (2016) 6,125,000. So, bottom line, the annual expense of 4 years of Sammy Watkins was slightly less than three years of Stevie Johnson.

Now, in the scenario proposed above, the Bills would have hamstrung their future finances by paying Jimmy Graham, what? $104 million over 8 years with 40 million guaranteed? If the big knock on the Sammy Watkins trade up was "You still have EJ Manuel as your QB" then lavishing money on Jimmy Graham would have added the element of "You still have EJ Manuel as your QB and you owe 160 million to Jimmy Graham and Mario Williams and you have no wiggle room to resign your young talented players - CJ Spiller, Stephon Gilmore, Dareus, Glenn, etc."

No thanks.

Edit to add: I completedly made up the contract terms the Bills would need to land Graham. It sounds like the Bucs offered him 5 years, 58 million with ~17 million guaranteed. I still say I'd rather not go that route.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're right that the cap concerns are what makes this difficult. However, only this year would be the problem.

Stevie's numbers are still counted against the Bills in someway this year. Next year, FJax will likely be gone, I doubt Spiller will be getting a big contract since he will be 28 next year, Kyle Williams is going get 7 mil next year and start the season as a 32 year old and there are a few others take could be moved or restructured too.

I'm guessing the Bills could get Graham for 10mil per year but trying to find the money after the picks are signed this year would be the problem.

I just think it's not a bad idea to keep drafting QBs until you find one. If you wind up with two or three good ones, some team out there will be glad to take one off your hands for a premium.
I agree with this - especially now that there is a rookie contract salary cap.

In hindsight after the Stevie Johnson trade, I wonder if they would have considered dangling SJ to the Redskins for Kirk Cousins. I suppose the Skins would have wanted something more - but I have no idea what teams are expecting for trade value depending on the position and current contract values.

I just think it's not a bad idea to keep drafting QBs until you find one. If you wind up with two or three good ones, some team out there will be glad to take one off your hands for a premium.
I agree with this - especially now that there is a rookie contract salary cap.

In hindsight after the Stevie Johnson trade, I wonder if they would have considered dangling SJ to the Redskins for Kirk Cousins. I suppose the Skins would have wanted something more - but I have no idea what teams are expecting for trade value depending on the position and current contract values.
Where would you draft this QB and what would your expectations be? Of the 32 teams, only three have starting QBs drafted past the third round (Tom Brady, Tony Romo and Ryan Fitzpatrick). And any new guy is going to be even younger and more inexperienced to the system than the guys already on the roster. How is he going to develop? You need to give Manuel all the reps and playing time he can get to maximize his own development and the huge investment you've already made in him.

Meanwhile, if you did indeed spend a 2nd or 3rd round pick on this new backup QB, then you forego upgrading RT or MLB - two positions which we badly needed long-term answers for. If you spend a 4th round pick or later on the new backup, then your odds for success drop greatly while also sacrificing depth and possible starters at other positions (ie, guard and CB).

ETA: And I say all of this as someone who isn't overly optimistic in EJ. But once you've made your decision on the guy, you have to see it through to really determine whether it's the right course.

3rd round QB picks have done ok, particularly the past couple years.

Russell Wilson

Nick Foles

Mike Glennon

Bills 3rd round picks recently:

Marquise Goodwin

TJ Graham

Kelvin Sheppard

Alex Carrington

You really miss much if you pass on those guys for a potential starter or #2 QB? Can't find a speed receiver or depth front 7 player later or in free agency?

3rd round QB picks have done ok, particularly the past couple years.

Russell Wilson

Nick Foles

Mike Glennon

Bills 3rd round picks recently:

Marquise Goodwin

TJ Graham

Kelvin Sheppard

Alex Carrington

You really miss much if you pass on those guys for a potential starter or #2 QB? Can't find a speed receiver or depth front 7 player later or in free agency?
The Bills' poor recent track record in the third round isn't a justification to buck conventional wisdom and undercut your current QB. Rather, the answer should be to simply draft better players to begin with.

A third round pick is still thought of to generally be a player that will contribute heavily, and possibly start, early on. You can theoretically get those guys in free agency, but they are going to cost a heck of a lot more than a rookie. And this doesn't answer the problem of how you are going to adequately develop that QB if most of the practice reps and all of the playing time are being given to your 2nd year QB who is also still developing.

Would those of you upset about the Bryce Brown trade preferred the Bills have given up what it would have taken to trade up and get Hyde?

Would those of you upset about the Bryce Brown trade preferred the Bills have given up what it would have taken to trade up and get Hyde?
I've officially changed my stance on the Brown trade. After thinking about it a bit more, I like the deal considering how soft Spiller has seemed to be and the fact that Freddy is bound to lose a couple steps (isn't he?).

I also really like Hyde. I would have liked if they could have pulled that off, as well.

Even really liking Hyde, I prefer the deal for Brown. It was a lot cheaper (2015 4 versus 2014 3,5,6? 3,4,7?) and Brown has proven to not be a bust.

I was a big fan of the Brown trade, but would not have been in favor of the Bills trading up to get Hyde - Buffalo needs more picks/players, not fewer.

Although the fact that they wanted to trade up for Hyde says to me that the writing could be on the wall for Spiller (which I don't agree with). That can still change, however, if Spiller stays healthy this year.

I was a big fan of the Brown trade, but would not have been in favor of the Bills trading up to get Hyde - Buffalo needs more picks/players, not fewer.

Although the fact that they wanted to trade up for Hyde says to me that the writing could be on the wall for Spiller (which I don't agree with). That can still change, however, if Spiller stays healthy this year.
I actually think the Bills are screwing up. Maybe I'm wrong and Spiller's agent wants big money, but after last year I would think the Bills could sign Spiller at a nice price. Being afraid of more injuries or something and holding off is going to either cost the Bills a very dynamic player or cost them a lot of extra money to keep him.

I got the feeling last year though that Marrone and Hackett really got turned off of Spiller during the season. They kept running him up the middle instead of getting him into space and then they criticized him for not reading things to their liking.

I actually think the Bills are screwing up. Maybe I'm wrong and Spiller's agent wants big money, but after last year I would think the Bills could sign Spiller at a nice price. Being afraid of more injuries or something and holding off is going to either cost the Bills a very dynamic player or cost them a lot of extra money to keep him.

I got the feeling last year though that Marrone and Hackett really got turned off of Spiller during the season. They kept running him up the middle instead of getting him into space and then they criticized him for not reading things to their liking.
We'll find out in the next month. Whaley said before the draft that extending Spiller and/or Dareus would be the next items on the agenda following the draft (he didn't say how hard they would try). You have to figure the Dareus extension is now on hold, so they can focus solely on Spiller if they choose.

The worst case scenario is that they let Spiller play this season without a new deal. If he disappoints, they let him walk and let Brown assume the starting role. If Spiller has another 2012 type season, they can try to resign him long term or tag him for one more year. Not a lot of downside for the Bills at this stage.

Not sure how the Brown trade & Hyde trade attempt can be viewed as anything but hedging their bets against starting a 34 year old RB. Freddy is gone after this year. And considering his age, there's a decent chance he'll wear down and be less effective in 2014. Marrone would be stupid not to bring in another younger back as insurance & eventual replacement.

I'm not seeing this as an indictment of Spiller at all. It had very little to do with him.

They're calling it "minor" and saying he'll be OK by camp, but can you imagine if the Bills had given Byrd all that money and then he has this "minor" back surgery on a disk in his back? Especially after his foot injuries the last two years? Yikes.

They're calling it "minor" and saying he'll be OK by camp, but can you imagine if the Bills had given Byrd all that money and then he has this "minor" back surgery on a disk in his back? Especially after his foot injuries the last two years? Yikes.
Yeah, that could end up being a bullet dodged. However, like you said, it probably is minor...

Grigs Allmoon said:
GroveDiesel said:
Yeah, that could end up being a bullet dodged. However, like you said, it probably is minor...
maybe it's minor now but would he not have milked it for all it is worth like he did the feet?

Grigs Allmoon said:
GroveDiesel said:
maybe it's minor now but would he not have milked it for all it is worth like he did the feet?
He's got his money now. I'd like to think he wouldn't milk an injury at this point.

I can't believe how stupid Dareus is. What a waste of talent. How do you sit there and blab on about your bad decisions being behind you and not being a troublemaker (for something that happened just 2 weeks earlier) and then get busted for drag racing and hitting a car just 2 days later?

He's almost certainly going to see at least a 4 game suspension from the league.

What a lazy, irresponsible moron.

I was reading this list of top 10 available free agents, and was wondering -

Would it be a good idea for the Bills to sign Asante Samuel to a team-friendly 1 or 2 year contract and try him out at free safety? Apparently he still provided "average" coverage at CB last year, so why not see if he can make a Rod Woodson late career shift to pro bowl safety work?

I was reading this list of top 10 available free agents, and was wondering -

Would it be a good idea for the Bills to sign Asante Samuel to a team-friendly 1 or 2 year contract and try him out at free safety? Apparently he still provided "average" coverage at CB last year, so why not see if he can make a Rod Woodson late career shift to pro bowl safety work?
They seem to really like Aaron Williams and just gave him a pretty nice contract extension to play FS. I doubt they bring anyone else in. SS may be the bigger question mark.

Duke Williams or Searcy will most likely start at SS.

The other option at FS would most likely be a similar situation to what you described with Samuel but the Bills could move Corey Graham to FS. I think they want to use him at nickel for now, but my guess is he'll also be the backup FS.

Annnnnnnd, apparently Dareus was drag racing against Jerry Hughes. Fantastic.

And Dareus didn't hit another car, he wrapped his Jag around a tree outside of a Chinese restaurant.

Gottabesweet said:
He also had a small amount of weed on him which isn't in any reportings they didn't document. Surely he'll get 2-4 games now?
Link?
Know a couple Hamburg Cops, Reliable source says that he had a small amount on him and they booked him for the traffic infractions.
Assuming Dareus doesn't have any other violations against the league's drug policy, I'm guessing he'll get a 2-game suspension based on the two arrests. They can't use merely hearsay of marijuana being in his car in Hamburg against him.

I know that, it was nice of the Hamburg cops not to bust him for that too, they'll make more on three traffic tickets. The felony in Alabama and misdemeanors in Hamburg should net two games. Takes the NFL way to long to hand penalties

So you already have one major arrest, and you decide it's a good idea to go drag racing in a Jag with weed on you?

Hello, idiot. Thanks for doing your part to continue the doom of the Buffalo Bills.

For those who want to be optimistic about Manuel, this "highlight" video from last year shows some really fantastic throws, especially earlier in the year. Some are just gimmes, but some are legit elite passes, including a few really nice deep balls.

http://billsmafia.com/2014/06/06/ej-manuel-2013-highlight-video/
I'd love to see them throw the deep ball more often this year. He's got a big arm - use it. It'll also keep defenses honest and hopefully open things up for the run and underneath stuff.

For those who want to be optimistic about Manuel, this "highlight" video from last year shows some really fantastic throws, especially earlier in the year. Some are just gimmes, but some are legit elite passes, including a few really nice deep balls.

http://billsmafia.com/2014/06/06/ej-manuel-2013-highlight-video/
This only confirms my opinion that Robert Woods is the must have sleeper WR in 2014.
His highlight video is pretty impressive. He makes tough catches, runs superb routes and gets separation.

http://billsmafia.com/2014/06/07/10208/

Early report here but Goodwin left with a knee injury this morning when he and Duke Williams got tied up on a deep ball.
Sounds like he went back in, fielded a kick, and then went back go the trainers' room. Hopefully not too bad, I love the field stretching dimension he brings.

Early report here but Goodwin left with a knee injury this morning when he and Duke Williams got tied up on a deep ball.
Sounds like he went back in, fielded a kick, and then went back go the trainers' room. Hopefully not too bad, I love the field stretching dimension he brings.
Agreed, If Manuel can keep the ball inbounds and give these guys a chance he could be a huge asset.

I'd love to open the season 3 wide with Goodwin, Woods and Williams and EJ in shot-gun with Spiller and Watkins in the backfield.

I don't know what is going on with me, but I seem to like Woods, Manuel and especially Spiller more than the consensus. I can't quit Spiller. The guy was a no brainer 1st round pick last year, averaged 4.6 y/c on a bad foot and now it seems that no one wants to touch him. Going mid-late 3rd as RB 16 is a huge value, imo.

I don't know what is going on with me, but I seem to like Woods, Manuel and especially Spiller more than the consensus. I can't quit Spiller. The guy was a no brainer 1st round pick last year, averaged 4.6 y/c on a bad foot and now it seems that no one wants to touch him. Going mid-late 3rd as RB 16 is a huge value, imo.
I think it's about right actually for Spiller. He certainly has upside from there, but he has downside as well.

As for EJ and Woods, I like them a little more than the consensus as well, but still not enough to target them or anything. Say EJ ends up as QB 18 or so- that would be good value relative to ADP, but that doesn't really help. You still wouldn't want to be playing him in the vast majority of leagues, and that kind of production isn't worth much of anything in trade value.

I was reflecting a little more about the Sammy Watkins pick and it's not really adding up for me.

We are supposed to believe that the Bills forfeited future picks because management feels that they need to 'win now' or else new ownership will replace them.

The problem is that it's very unlikely that Watkins produces in his first year. Even for stud WRs, the first year is usually light on production. The best case scenario is that the Bills got a player comparable to Calvin Johnson. In Calvin's first year, his production wasn't really any better than a typical Stevie Johnson year. I think you find the same for similar 1st round WRs in their first year (AJ Green, Julio Jones).

Now I'm not saying it's a bad trade or bad pick - but I do not think it's a 'win now' pick. I don't think this will really pay dividends until year 2 or 3.

Looks like Dareus is going to get his felony charge in Alabama reduced. I don't know how/if that will effect any NFL action, but it probably means he won't be serving any prison time.

Link.

I love beer and football, but I'm also a dad and considering how a group of drunks nearly ruined my son's first experience at Ralph last year, I think this money grab is a really bad idea. Bills fans get tanked enough on their own in the parking lot at 11am.

I don't know. Maybe it won't effect the out-of-control drunks at all, merely providing a super expensive alternate source of beer. Still, it sounds like a bad idea.

Jeff,

It's in effort to prevent binge drinking in the lots. The idea will be having one or two beers inside at $10.00 a pop. I won't be going in but maybe some will.

I was reflecting a little more about the Sammy Watkins pick and it's not really adding up for me.

We are supposed to believe that the Bills forfeited future picks because management feels that they need to 'win now' or else new ownership will replace them.

The problem is that it's very unlikely that Watkins produces in his first year. Even for stud WRs, the first year is usually light on production. The best case scenario is that the Bills got a player comparable to Calvin Johnson. In Calvin's first year, his production wasn't really any better than a typical Stevie Johnson year. I think you find the same for similar 1st round WRs in their first year (AJ Green, Julio Jones).

Now I'm not saying it's a bad trade or bad pick - but I do not think it's a 'win now' pick. I don't think this will really pay dividends until year 2 or 3.
I don't think Watkins necessarily has to put up big stats this year to be a difference maker. He's so dangerous that it changes how defenses can play the Bills. Stevie Johnson put up good but not outstanding numbers but wasn't really elite in any one area (other than maybe the way he ran his routes). The speed, quickness and athleticism of Watkins makes him dangerous enough that teams have to account for that in ways that are much different than they had to account for Stevie.All that being said, I don't think they only took Watkins as a "win now" pick. I think they think he will be a truly elite playmaker for a long time.

I don't think Watkins necessarily has to put up big stats this year to be a difference maker. He's so dangerous that it changes how defenses can play the Bills. Stevie Johnson put up good but not outstanding numbers but wasn't really elite in any one area (other than maybe the way he ran his routes). The speed, quickness and athleticism of Watkins makes him dangerous enough that teams have to account for that in ways that are much different than they had to account for Stevie.All that being said, I don't think they only took Watkins as a "win now" pick. I think they think he will be a truly elite playmaker for a long time.
Near the end of last night's Audible podcast a question came-in about which position makes the biggest leap in their 2nd year and Cecil emphatically and without any hesitation said WR. Cecil brought up many fine points why rookie WRs don't grasp everything about the position in the first year and Sammy's name came up.

Cecil said that Watkins ran a very-limited route tree and he would have a lot to learn his rookie season. Lammey felt Sammy would be a guy who will take a significant leap in his 2nd year whichh hints he may struggle some or not do as much as he's capable in his rookie season.

This blurb came out yesterday about Sammy and E.J. not being on the same page.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000361951/article/bills-sammy-watkins-ej-manuel-still-developing-trust

Bills' Sammy Watkins, EJ Manuel still developing trust

The Around The League Podcast has spent the past month debating which wide receiver will lead the Buffalo Bills in production this season.

In an interview that aired Thursday night on NFL Total Access, Watkins acknowledged to NFL Media's Alex Flanagan that his connection with Manuel remains a work in progress.

"It's not fully there. I mean, we've been connecting at minicamp, and OTAs," Watkins said. "But at the same time, I could be wide open, and if he don't feel it, or if I run it a different type of way, he won't throw the ball.

"So it really just got to come with him believing in me. I believe in him. He can throw just about any ball. So it just comes down to ... we just need a lot of reps."

Although Watkins is an early favorite for Offensive Rookie of the Year, he doesn't expect to break any records in his first season.

"I think we have enough players for me not to think I need to have 1,500 yards receiving," Watkins explained.

The good news for Watkins is that he has plenty of time this summer to get on the same page with Manuel. If that happens, the No. 4 overall pick will bypass Woods as the go-to receiver in a run-heavy offense.
I like Watkins as a long-term dynasty target but I'd have to agree with anyone who feels that he may not blow-up out of the gate in his rookie season. Also it doesn't mean it would be a bad trade because I think the Bills W/L record hinges on the progress of E.J. Manuel over any other factors.

Add as a Browns fan I am not wishing Sammy struggles or that the Bills have a bad year just so we get a higher pick. I hope that other Browns fans don't do that either. Many NFL talking heads feel the Bills will be a suprise team and they may be if E.J. makes a big leap. I don't know what to expect of him but even if he makes a big improvement I don't think its fair to expect too-much out of Sammy Watkins in his rookie season but I do feel he is a good long-term dynasty buy.

Manuel is definitely the far bigger piece to success than Sammy. No doubt about that.

The piece about not having chemistry yet is pretty funny to me. It's been what, 5 or 6 practices so far? And that includes time learning the offense, installing new offensive pieces, etc. if there is any WR saying that that they have good chemistry with their QB after 5 to 6 practices, they're either delusional or lying.

I think the Bills offense is similar to the Eagles were with Vick after Kelley came in.

Manuel - Vick

Watkins - Jackson

Woods - Maclin/Cooper

Spiller+Jackson - McCoy

I think it would be fair to say that offensive scheme and player talent are both superior in Philly but I think the comparison is closer than someone might think at first glance. The Bills and Eagles were one and two in rush yards per game. The Bills were 28th in pass yards per game and the Eagles 9th. If Watkins can step into a Desean Jackson type role it could make a huge difference. Even if Watkins runs his two routes, a screen and a 9, and that's it (a little tongue-in-cheek here) it should be enough to keep defences honest. Manuel doesn't need to be pin point on a screen and doesn't need to be overly in sync with Watkins to throw a 9 route. They can work the chains with the run game and Woods and use Watkins as a big play target.

If this is how Bills management feels then the trade for Watkins was worth it. I think the Bills have a better defence than the Eagles too. I want to see the Bill in the playoffs!!!

So Dante Whitner apparently didn't like that Watkins said in an interview that he would play against the browns with a chip on his shoulder (after he was asked). So Whitner got all internet tough guy and has been going at it with Watkins, Bills fans and Tim Graham. Making a real fool out of himself which is nothing new for that moron.

Users who are viewing this thread