What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Buffalo Bills - Same as it ever was*** (3 Viewers)

I'm not sure Brandon is as bad as you guys are making him out to be. He's not a football guy, but he's expanded the fan base and marketed the team pretty well despite the horrible product on the field.
BINGO

And he did this amid 14 straight non-playoff seasons. As Doug Marrone would say - Saint Brandon.

I know it's hard to shake the perpetual misery/half empty glass mentality after what we've gone thru the past 2 decades. I'm 29 and have only faint memories of the super bowl teams. Hell, I was 14 last time they made the playoffs.

This franchise has entered an entirely new Era as far as I'm concerned. We now have a new owner who has very deep pockets and is committed to winning. The 800 pound gorilla of this team being stolen from us has been lifted. We just beat a very good Chicago team on the road , that was nearly unanimously chalked up as a blow out loss by 99% of the "experts"

We have a solid core of veteran leadership that is hungry to win (FJax, K. Williams, Mario, Graham, Spikes) & a very good stable of young talent. We enter the home opener 1-0 against a division rival that we Swept last season. I would argue this is one of biggest games this team has played in quite some time.

The atmosphere at the Ralph will be electric. This will rival a playoff game in atmosphere. I'm dropping $250 on tickets just to experience what will be one of the best games I've ever had a chance to see the Bills play. The Dolphins have no clue what they are walking into Sunday & I cannot wait to be apart of it

I'm dropping $250 on tickets just to experience what will be one of the best games I've ever had a chance to see the Bills play. The Dolphins have no clue what they are walking into Sunday & I cannot wait to be apart of it
I'm SO tempted to do the same. If it weren't for the 8 hour drive back late Sunday night I'd do it in a heartbeat. I'm still on the fence...

I'm dropping $250 on tickets just to experience what will be one of the best games I've ever had a chance to see the Bills play. The Dolphins have no clue what they are walking into Sunday & I cannot wait to be apart of it
I'm SO tempted to do the same. If it weren't for the 8 hour drive back late Sunday night I'd do it in a heartbeat. I'm still on the fence...
Go for it man. Call in sick to work if you have to. I cannot imagine the atmosphere this Sunday at the Ralph. This is by far and away the biggest game I've ever had a chance to go to. The Ralph will be shaking. It's also going to be 66 and sunny. Cannot wait

OC Zed said:
The argument in favor of Whaley's performance as GM thus far: http://www.wgr550.com/Whaley-has-made-strong-case-to-stay-on-as-GM/19875462
I like Whaley, but to play devil's advocate:

1) I love Kiko. But his off field problems weren't the only reason he fell down the draft board. His extensive injury history was also a major problem. And here the Bills are without their best LBer and key to the middle of their defense because of another major injury. So I don't think you can definitely count that one as a win at this point.

2) Last offseason he let Levitre walk (which I thought he needed to do at that point) but also let his backup walk as well (who went and played pretty well in San Diego) and the LG position was an absolute nightmare all year. So they overpaid a journeyman Chris awilliams this year and he looks to be as mediocre as expected. They also jettisoned Urbik (who PFF actually graded faily well last year) ans slid Pears over to RG. They are doing a good job trying to draft some young guys to step up, but not really at the OG position. Richardson looks like he could be a starter soon, but there isn't anyone for the other OG position and their depth is terrible.

3) Alan Branch extension. No further comment needed.

4) Leodis McKelvin. He was surprisingly not nbad last year with Pettine. The contract they gave him still seems crazy though. He in no way had earned that much money when they gave him that contract. And now it looks like he could be sent back to the bench after his horrible play on Sunday and Graham looking fantastic.

5) The punting situation was a mess last year. And I love Mooreman and loved seeing him back in Buffalo, but it seemed obvious his career should be over. And yet the Bills end up cutting him and signing their punter just days before the season. It worked out well in Week 1 as the guy ended up with a fantastic game, but it was an ugly process with a lucky conclusion so far.

On the positive side, I would chalk up Robert Woods and Robey as wins too. Woods looks excellent and Robey is a stud nickel corner.

On the positive side, I would chalk up Robert Woods and Robey as wins too. Woods looks excellent and Robey is a stud nickel corner.
Robey was pretty bad on Sunday. Not sure why you call him a stud and rip McKelvin in the same post.
I didn't think Robey was too bad. He got a couple of big pressures on Cutler on blitzes and stuck to his receiver pretty well for the most part. The size disadvantage against Chicago's mammoth receivers did burn him a few times, but it wasn't like McKelvin losing both the size battle AND getting toasted deep.I mean, this is pretty awful from McKelvin:

Breakdown: Fans typically hope the leading tackler on their defense is a linebacker, or perhaps the strong safety. But when your starting corner leads the team with 10 tackles, things werent so rosy. Targeted a staggering 14 times, McKelvin surrendered 10 catches for 139 yards.

Signature Stat: The 5-foot-11 McKelvin had a rough go against Chicagos towering wideouts. Marshall and Jeffery combined to go 8-of-10 for 118 yards and a touchdown when working against him.
ETA: also, we had 4 years of mediocre to poor play fron McKelvin before last year.

Robey not only looked good last year, but he also played really well in the preseason and in camp. I'm much more willing to give him the benefit of the doubt than McKelvin. Hopefully it was just a rough matchup for McKelvin and he is fine the rest of the way, but if he doesn't pick up his play soon, I would like to see the Bills switch in Graham.

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny coincidence. I was just wondering what the current odds were for the Bills to win the division.

+900 as it turns out......hmmmmmm

I'm not sure Brandon is as bad as you guys are making him out to be. He's not a football guy, but he's expanded the fan base and marketed the team pretty well despite the horrible product on the field.
BINGO

And he did this amid 14 straight non-playoff seasons. As Doug Marrone would say - Saint Brandon.
I would be okay with keeping him around as our marketing guy. Seriously though, he shouldn't be anywhere near football decisions.

With all of the Miami starting LBers most likely out this week and the DBs' penchant for playing way off the receivers, I think Watkins and Spiller are both in for huge games this week. Watkins should excel with his YAC ability and Spiller should have a ton of space to work with.

With all of the Miami starting LBers most likely out this week and the DBs' penchant for playing way off the receivers, I think Watkins and Spiller are both in for huge games this week. Watkins should excel with his YAC ability and Spiller should have a ton of space to work with.
Agreed. I think we start to see the ascension of Watkins to take his throne on Sunday. 6-90-1 rec.........

BINGO

I would be okay with keeping him around as our marketing guy. Seriously though, he shouldn't be anywhere near football decisions.
Aside from hiring Whaley (because RW was essentially incapacitated at that point), he hasn't been. Whaley has been controlling football operations since that point (as he should given his position).

Go for it man. Call in sick to work if you have to. I cannot imagine the atmosphere this Sunday at the Ralph. This is by far and away the biggest game I've ever had a chance to go to. The Ralph will be shaking. It's also going to be 66 and sunny. Cannot wait
Imagine what the energy in that place will be like if the Patriots somehow find themselves down big to the Vikings.

There will be some energized scoreboard watching going on.

Agreed. I think we start to see the ascension of Watkins to take his throne on Sunday. 6-90-1 rec.........
Way off... :thumbdown:

;)

Bills homers, is there any reason to have Orton stashed in a 2QB league? Manuel has led them to 2-0 so I'm guessing there isn't.

Thanks!

Bills homers, is there any reason to have Orton stashed in a 2QB league? Manuel has led them to 2-0 so I'm guessing there isn't.

Thanks!
Depends on the league format, but I'd say no.

I have Manuel in a 32 team league where most all backup QBs are rostered, so I'm not ready to cut Orton, but by the time bye weeks roll around I might have to consider it, with the hope I can pick him back up after the byes. That said, it seems like it would take 3 stinker games before Manuel would get benched, so you can probably cut him and look to grab him back if Manuel has a couple really bad games.

'72 Dolphins on notice.
I laughed.

This really does feel like a turnaround season though. Things are actually breaking right for us, and while I'm still not sold on EJ by a long shot, he has so much talent around him that all he really needs to do is avoid mistakes -- we don't need him to single-handedly win games for us. Both lines look solid, the secondary is good, and the backs and receivers are very good.

Also, I was a little skeptical of the trade for Sammy Watkins -- not critical, just concerned that he would be worth two first-rounders. If today was any indication, we might look back on that trade as a steal. This was the guy's second NFL game and he was open more or less the whole game, despite playing through nagging injuries. 117/1 (or whatever his stat line was) could easily have been 170/3 had it not been for a couple of miscues. Really pleased to have Watkins on the team.

As a flyover country unaffiliated NFL watcher, this team is a little hard to believe in, but very easy to root for.

Not sure I remember seeing a guy get quite as much bad on-field press as EJ did heading into the season -- from fans and foes alike. So even though the warts are obvious, it's hard not to pull for the guy. Getting new ownership to re-up in Buffalo just makes it a better story. And all that plus the Jim Kelly stuff? Gosh, you guys are cuddly and likable. :thumbup:

Also, I was a little skeptical of the trade for Sammy Watkins -- not critical, just concerned that he would be worth two first-rounders. If today was any indication, we might look back on that trade as a steal. This was the guy's second NFL game and he was open more or less the whole game, despite playing through nagging injuries. 117/1 (or whatever his stat line was) could easily have been 170/3 had it not been for a couple of miscues. Really pleased to have Watkins on the team.
More games like this will also put the kibosh on the "Watkins can't be elite with Manuel" school of thought.

I also think Watkins will be viewed as a steal in a few years. Julio is the only other WR that I can recall in the past decade or more that cost two 1st round picks plus. He is now one of the top 3-5 WRs in the league, and CLE didn't do a lot with those picks.

I'm still not sold on EJ by a long shot, he has so much talent around him that all he really needs to do is avoid mistakes -- we don't need him to single-handedly win games for us. Both lines look solid, the secondary is good, and the backs and receivers are very good
been saying this for awhile. he doesn't have to be an elite QB for things to work out. just has to not be terrible with the nice group of talent they have put around him. and now with Orton in place as well, seems like the pieces are finally there for a run at the playoffs.

team has some nice depth at a lot of key positions.

Sea is in a class of its own, but Buf is in the next group when you are talking about dominating D at home. This group flies around the field at the Ralph, they did last year too.

Can't be happy about the Red Zone offense, but the Spiller kick return made me forget all my worries and all my concerns.

I'm still not sold on EJ by a long shot, he has so much talent around him that all he really needs to do is avoid mistakes -- we don't need him to single-handedly win games for us. Both lines look solid, the secondary is good, and the backs and receivers are very good
been saying this for awhile. he doesn't have to be an elite QB for things to work out. just has to not be terrible with the nice group of talent they have put around him. and now with Orton in place as well, seems like the pieces are finally there for a run at the playoffs.

Depends on your goal- IMO, this is a playoff-caliber team if he can be decent, but for them to really make a run, he's going to have to be much better than that.

Depends on your goal- IMO, this is a playoff-caliber team if he can be decent, but for them to really make a run, he's going to have to be much better than that.
he's only in his 2nd year.

Aaron Rodgers sat for 3 years before he saw real game action. People need to have some patience with young QBs. As long as he's not hurting the team, he'll get a chance to develop.

Making the playoffs would be a huge success for this year, IMO.

Aaron Rodgers sat for 3 years before he saw real game action. People need to have some patience with young QBs. As long as he's not hurting the team, he'll get a chance to develop.
Wat? I'm simply saying that this Bills team is good, but it isn't good enough to make a Super Bowl run with a QB who "only avoids mistakes" or just is "not terrible".

Making the playoffs would be a huge success for this year, IMO.
That's not an opinion. ;)

Spiller showing today he needs to be resigned. He was a game changer today. Certainly don't wanna crazy overpay but need to keep the youth & continuity on O. Just don't see EJ ever evolving into a 300 yd QB but games like today are perfect. We shoulda won by more but I'm very happy winning this way.

Wat? I'm simply saying that this Bills team is good, but it isn't good enough to make a Super Bowl run with a QB who "only avoids mistakes" or just is "not terrible".
:lmao: at Super Bowl run.

This team hasn't sniffed the playoffs in 15 years. Baby steps.

a week ago, plenty of people thought the Browns would be picking #1 and #2 overall in 2015. Now the expectation is super bowl or bust. Good times.

Spiller showing today he needs to be resigned. He was a game changer today. Certainly don't wanna crazy overpay but need to keep the youth & continuity on O. Just don't see EJ ever evolving into a 300 yd QB but games like today are perfect. We shoulda won by more but I'm very happy winning this way.
RBs don't cost a ton in today's NFL. They should be able to make it work.

I'm so torn on Spiller. He's borderline terrible when running in tight traffic. He just tenses up and waits for contact. He's great in space, but let's face it, an NFL RB doesn't spend a ton of time in space. They spend most of their time between the tackles, and a good chunk of their outside runs end up being in traffic, too. I'd really like to see him used more like the Vikings use Patterson or the Seahawks use Harvin.

:lmao: at Super Bowl run.

This team hasn't sniffed the playoffs in 15 years. Baby steps.

a week ago, plenty of people thought the Browns would be picking #1 and #2 overall in 2015. Now the expectation is super bowl or bust. Good times.
:lmao:

Yeah, that's what I said. Oof.

Yeah, I always thought Whitner was overrated, but he was solid. He seemed to get billing as a top 5 safety in the NFL because he made a ton of tackles, and I never agreed with that. Solid player, better-than-average safety, but never a playmaker. Either way he's nowhere near as bad as some other Bills picks in the past 15 years. Mike Williams :X
Mike Williams was the worst, but was offset by the Jason Peters project that same year I think.

Not sure I get the Marv Levy GM hate. He drafted Marshawn Lynch and traded up for Posluzny, and then added Trent Edwards with his first 3 picks. Sure, **** Jauron was a boring hire, but he worked out better than guys like Gregg Williams and Mularkey did I suppose.
I thought it was pretty obvious that listening to him talk, Marv was just out of it.

He'd constantly bring up the Bears stadium being rennovated & having to play 16 road games as a reason they stunk under Jauron. C'mon - that was only one year. Obviously the 13-3 year was the outlier, not one of the many bad years.

And then he'd constantly bring up the '89 Cowboys going 1-15 when defending Losman.

And mention all the recent SB teams who happened to have good safties (Polamalu & Ed Sanders) when justifying Whitner over Ngata.

Basically he was a fan on a message board....Cherrypicking useless anecdotal junk trying to win an argument. Those were tough years to believe in the organization.

Users who are viewing this thread