What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Buffalo Bills - Same as it ever was*** (6 Viewers)

With the money Justin Houston just got, Whaley should be given a ton of credit for getting Hughes as cheaply as they did. Houston is better statistically, but Hughes goes up against the LT about 10 times as often as Houston and is getting half of what Houston just signed for.
Agreed

Nice article detailing just how badly Marrone handled EJ Manuel:

The fact that the Bills were 3.6 yds per play BETTER when EJ Manuel passed on 1st down, yet Marrone ran 70% of these plays is simply asking for trouble for your young quarterback.
http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/how-a-rookie-head-coach-derailed-a-rookie-quarterback-then-vanished-with-4-million-071515
Kind of crazy it took this long for someone to match the stats with what many of us were ranting about with Marrone. What's especially insane is how much they let Orton throw on 1st down despite the fact he was much worse than Manuel.

i gotta say i think Marrone was a big part of the problem for the team over the last 2 years, not using spiller efficently trading up for watkins (can any1 say stay and get OBJ? Evans(maybe)? Cooks? Benj?) not worth the price he paid to move up 5 spots. and this is coming from a guy who is a huge watkins fan. (but i am also a fan of evans/OBJ) felt like he was trying to save his job and just get wins now.

The Man also took Manuel, who I was not very high on(and alot of people also did not like), he could of probably got him in the third. Kinda felt like he was just reaching, honestly take the ####ty year and hope for a better qb next year.. bridgewater.. car.. bortels.. (he probably would have picked manzeil lol)

i may be negitive i may be sour, but i just never liked him. much preferred gailey, he put all the peices in place for this team to start winning. little more excited for rex. to bad the wont be able to get a QB next year because the team should finnish high enough to not get a qb, but anything is possible.

i gotta say i think Marrone was a big part of the problem for the team over the last 2 years, not using spiller efficently trading up for watkins (can any1 say stay and get OBJ? Evans(maybe)? Cooks? Benj?) not worth the price he paid to move up 5 spots. and this is coming from a guy who is a huge watkins fan. (but i am also a fan of evans/OBJ) felt like he was trying to save his job and just get wins now.

The Man also took Manuel, who I was not very high on(and alot of people also did not like), he could of probably got him in the third. Kinda felt like he was just reaching, honestly take the ####ty year and hope for a better qb next year.. bridgewater.. car.. bortels.. (he probably would have picked manzeil lol)

i may be negitive i may be sour, but i just never liked him. much preferred gailey, he put all the peices in place for this team to start winning. little more excited for rex. to bad the wont be able to get a QB next year because the team should finnish high enough to not get a qb, but anything is possible.
Whaley traded up for Watkins not Marrone and I'm fine with it. I agree the play calling and Nate Hackett were an issue, Spiller should have played more but could never really stay on the field, and Marrone's ego and paying attention to the media was a big problem. Buddy Nix took EJ and Whaley is a class act and won't throw him under the bus and saying they both took EJ.

It'll be interesting but I'm hopeful like always.

Whaley traded up for Watkins not Marrone and I'm fine with it. I agree the play calling and Nate Hackett were an issue, Spiller should have played more but could never really stay on the field, and Marrone's ego and paying attention to the media was a big problem. Buddy Nix took EJ and Whaley is a class act and won't throw him under the bus and saying they both took EJ.

yeah but there is no way that marone dident have a say in who they where picking as his players, to place it on nix and whaley is just ridiculous.

Team dose have a ridiculous Defense they just need a compitent QB(think alex smith or better), and if they make it into the playoffs they have a chance.

What's the current record for most typos in a single post?

yeah but there is no way that marone dident have a say in who they where picking as his players, to place it on nix and whaley is just ridiculous.

Team dose have a ridiculous Defense they just need a compitent QB(think alex smith or better), and if they make it into the playoffs they have a chance.
Not really.

tangfoot said:
burnall said:

Even his username is misspelled. I assume he's a big Mark Brunell fan

tangfoot said:
burnall said:

I'm glad you bring something creative or constructive to really add to the converstaion. great work! keep it up, really helps topics flourish.

tangfoot said:
burnall said:

I'm glad you bring something creative or constructive to really add to the converstaion. great work! keep it up, really helps topics flourish.
If you want to be taken seriously (or even be read at all), have the self-respect to write properly. I see a post like yours and I imagine a 15-year old C student. You could very well be a professor of college literature, but you don't come across as someone that I should pay any attention to.

Last edited by a moderator:
tangfoot said:
burnall said:

If you want to be taken seriously (or even be read at all), have the self-respect to write properly. I see a post like yours and I imagine a 15-year old C student. You could very well be a professor of college literature, but you don't come across as someone that I should pay any attention to.
so we continue the point of your just a troll with no real opnion at the topic at hand? personal attacks on me are really helpfull! just keep on contributing! your doing great!

Nobody's trolling. Everyone just points out everything you say is false. You sure you're a Bills fan and in the right place?
Okay, perhaps i was wrong about the watkins trade up. I never seen the article about him either storming out or walking out of the room because of the trade. so I admit i'm wrong there. but what about taking manuel? was i wrong about that? or his gross misusage of Spiller? wrong there too? and the last paragraph is clearly opinion, and its just that an opinion so it cant really be wrong. So everything i say isnt false, but let me guess you liked marone.

Nobody's trolling. Everyone just points out everything you say is false. You sure you're a Bills fan and in the right place?
Okay, perhaps i was wrong about the watkins trade up. I never seen the article about him either storming out or walking out of the room because of the trade. so I admit i'm wrong there. but what about taking manuel? was i wrong about that? or his gross misusage of Spiller? wrong there too? and the last paragraph is clearly opinion, and its just that an opinion so it cant really be wrong. So everything i say isnt false, but let me guess you liked marone.
Yes again, wrong on both accounts. Buddy Nix was on record saying the Manuel move was all him and he wanted to have a quarterback attached to his resume on his way out. Spiller was misused but, Marrone's misused alot of players. Doesn't help when Spiller cough's and he gets hurt.

Nope, wasn't a Marrone fan.

Again please try to proof read before you post in here, for everyone's sake.

Yes again, wrong on both accounts. Buddy Nix was on record saying the Manuel move was all him and he wanted to have a quarterback attached to his resume on his way out. Spiller was misused but, Marrone's misused alot of players. Doesn't help when Spiller cough's and he gets hurt.

Nope, wasn't a Marrone fan.

Again please try to proof read before you post in here, for everyone's sake.
Why I sure can, and will do so for the future. Thank you very much for having a informitive reply rather then just being insulting.

ps. I'm a casual fallower of the bills not hardcore. Sorry I dont keep up with all the headlines as much as you guys. I was under the assumption that the head coach would have some say in most personal choices.

Super classy headline from dirtbag Mike Florio: @ProFootballTalk: Guy from team with a history of finishing second finishes second in the Pan Am Games long jump http://t.co/C82ac71WX5
Huh. I didn't realize Mike Florio was that much of a hack. I'll have to remember that.
He's always come off like a total jock-sniffer ######## to me.
He has some serious axes to grind. He definitely leans towards the players in any conflict between players and management/owners, he consistently ridicules any religious players and he has a serious beef with Bills fans.

I don't remember the exact circumstances, but several years ago he ripped the Bills for something, was wrong about it, and Bills fans teed off on him in the comments. He then proceeded to go on a rampage with all sorts of posts taking shots at the Bills and even Bills fans for a while. He still pretty obviously carries a grudge and seems to take any chance he can get to slight the Bills.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/172621/bills-working-out-free-agent-ot-gosder-cherilus

PITTSFORD, N.Y. -- Two days before they are set to open training camp, the Buffalo Bills are working out free-agent offensive tackle Gosder Cherilus, a source confirmed.

Cherilus, 31, was released by the Indianapolis Colts on Sunday after two disappointing seasons with the team. He signed a five-year, $34 million contract with the Colts in 2013 and started 29 games for Indianapolis.

He battled knee, shoulder and groin problems last season and was placed on injured reserve before the playoffs. Cherilus had offseason knee surgery, which kept him from taking part in organized team activities, including a mandatory three-day minicamp in June.

The Bills have a need along their offensive line following the retirement of tackle Wayne Hunter last week and the release of guard Chris Williams on Tuesday. Their numbers are particularly low at tackle, where 2014 second-round pick Cyrus Kouandjio and 2014 seventh-round pick Seantrel Henderson are likely to battle for the starting right tackle job opposite Cordy Glenn at left tackle.

NFL Network first reported Cherilus’ visit with the Bills.

I'd be ok with this if the prices right. Cheaper and younger than Mathis and RT is more of a worry than guard with Koundjio unproven and Henderson poor season.

Through 3 days of camp, the summary basically is:

1) All the QBs are awful. Not a single one has been anywhere near even average. Looks like yet another year of a bottom 5 QB situation. No question the Bills have the worst QB situation in the league at this point. Cassel has been atrocious, EJ has been woefully inaccurate, slow to pull the trigger and has dropped multiple snaps, and Taylor immediately leaves the pocket every play and can't hit short or medium range passes.

2) the defensive line is much better than the offensive line. Not really a surprise snc e the Bills probably have the best front 7 in the league. But Henderson and Cyrus have both struggled and Wood apparently got torched a bunch today too. Sounds like Glenn, Incognito, Wood and Miller are all pretty well locked into starting roles. I think that seems about right anyway. So the Rat spot is the only one up for grabs.

3) McKelvin can't even put weight on his ankle. At this point, he's almost assuredly going to start the season on the PUP list. Almost have to think that his season could be in doubt. On the positive sign, it sounds like Darby has been great and that he could conceivably start across from Gilmore and be just fine.

4) Watkins sounds totally healthy and has reportedly been open at will. Such a shame the Bills don't have a QB that can get the ball into his hands.

Hearing that Hoyer has the lead now in Houston for their starting job bums me out. His upside was so much better than Cassel's. The Bills really blew it first chasing McCown and then trading for a thoroughly mediocre to bad Matt Cassel. Now they're stuck with 3 atrocious options at QB. At this point, I'd almost rather just jettison Cassel or Manuel and give Matt Simms a legit chance. The thing that drives me the most nuts about Cassel is that he's been so incredibly inaccurate so far during camp. It's one thing to not have a great arm and be limited athletically, but the Bills didn't necessarily need that. But if he can't even throw short to medium passes accurately, then he's beyond useless.

Through 3 days of camp, the summary basically is:

1) All the QBs are awful. Not a single one has been anywhere near even average. Looks like yet another year of a bottom 5 QB situation. No question the Bills have the worst QB situation in the league at this point. Cassel has been atrocious, EJ has been woefully inaccurate, slow to pull the trigger and has dropped multiple snaps, and Taylor immediately leaves the pocket every play and can't hit short or medium range passes.
Well, don't count out how bad Clev's QB situation is. I'd say they are the bottom 2 for sure heading into the season. That really sucks to be honest. This team could be competitive, even playoff worthy, with just average QB. Hell, maybe even slightly below average.

This is literally the only situation in Bills camp I care about. Sorry, not a Bills fan. I want to see them succeed for some reason, though. Probably just because I'm tired of the Pats.

At this point the only real hope is that EJ has a light come on. Cassel is who he is. Taylor is way too much athlete and not enough QB IMO.

:cry:

How hard is it to get average QB play?
It's kind of amazing that we managed to completely whiff on this position so many times. Partly it's a result of blowing it off and trying to just get by with warm bodies, but you'd think we would have stumbled onto someone serviceable by now just by pure luck.

Living in Houston, I follow the Texans closely. It is amazing how similar their situation is to the Bills. Both could have dominant defenses yet both could struggle to make the playoffs because of insufficient play at QB. I happen to think the Texans will make the playoffs because they will get at least average play out of their QB's, but that is no where near a sure thing, and many in the local media disagree with me. I, too, would love to see the Bills take a step forward at the expense of the Patriots. Brady and Belicheck deserve each other, and in my opinion, deserve to be knocked down a peg or two.

:cry:

How hard is it to get average QB play?
It's kind of amazing that we managed to completely whiff on this position so many times. Partly it's a result of blowing it off and trying to just get by with warm bodies, but you'd think we would have stumbled onto someone serviceable by now just by pure luck.
EJ is the only QB they've drafted in the last 7 years (besides 7th rounder Levi Brown). It's a joke how many times they've passed on the position.

In drills against no defenders in practice tonight, Manuel was missing receivers by 10-15 YARDS. He's done. Might as well cut him at this point. He's a lost cause.

Cassel will be the starting QB.

The Bills need to do everything in their power to accumulate draft picks for next year to be able to draft multiple QBs.

In drills against no defenders in practice tonight, Manuel was missing receivers by 10-15 YARDS. He's done. Might as well cut him at this point. He's a lost cause.

Cassel will be the starting QB.

The Bills need to do everything in their power to accumulate draft picks for next year to be able to draft multiple QBs.
I've said this before, but they should be drafting at least a QB every year -- probably more -- until they hit on one. I understand that there's good value on the draft board at other positions, but you can't let yourself get into this kind of situation. This is easily a playoff team but for the guy under center.

Question for those that attend camp.

Is it the norm for QBs to be perfect throwing to WRs with no defenders or can they occassionally have an off night or miss a few throws? I assume Manuel doesnt always miss these throws or we would have heard about it by now.

There was a lot of buzz about these missed throws early but then he followed it up with a good practice (based in tweets)

I just wonder if this is a case of confirmation bias and the people/media? who want EJ to fail so they can be right see only the negative.

One of these games was EJ Manuel against Hou, the game that was so horrible that some think he should be cut (he never got another chance and may not). One was Joe Flacco...against that same D later in the year.

Completion 42%. 195 yards. 2 TDs. 3 INTs

Completion 47.7%. 225 yards. 2 TDs. 2 INTs.

Cassel bites. Keep the two kids and see if one can develop with proper coaching.

Manuel was drafted as a project, the two years with Marrone and Hackett dont tell me a thing about whether he is a project that can still develop or a bust.

Tyrod Taylor may have a legit shot at winning the QB battle. The biggest criticism I've seen of him so far is that he leaves the pocket too early. But it sounds like he's making impressive throws a lot more often than everyone else.

Question for those that attend camp.

Is it the norm for QBs to be perfect throwing to WRs with no defenders or can they occassionally have an off night or miss a few throws? I assume Manuel doesnt always miss these throws or we would have heard about it by now.

There was a lot of buzz about these missed throws early but then he followed it up with a good practice (based in tweets)

I just wonder if this is a case of confirmation bias and the people/media? who want EJ to fail so they can be right see only the negative.
I would think an NFL QB shouldn't be missing WRs by 8-15 yards in drills. That's not even close.

Users who are viewing this thread