What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Le'Veon Bell, FA - 9.6.21 Workout For Baltimore (9 Viewers)

The key here, and it has been said about 30 times in the last two pages. IT IS NOT A LIS FRANK INJURY. Get that out of your head and move on. Way too much discussion of Lis Frank by you when it isn't that. Someone probably mentioned it on Twitter and everyone ran with it, but that was not the case.
Are we sure about that? Was there something/someone that come out and said that specifically or are you going by Tomlin's nebulous quote where he said "it's not as bad as Spaeth's Lis Franc injury".

Given that Spaeth's was a bad Lis Franc injury that required surgery that quote could be interpreted one of two ways. Either that Bell's Lis Franc injury (as it was previously reported) was the less severe kind that doesn't require surgery (compared to Spaeth's more severe one that did require surgery) or that Bell didn't have a Lis Franc injury at all. Was there anything that definitively said the latter interpretation is what Tomlin meant?

ETA: I could only find one report saying it's not a Lis Franc afterall.

http://www.upi.com/blog/2013/08/22/Lisfranc-injury-ruled-out-LeVeon-Bell-could-still-be-out-for-a-while/4541377200448/

Granted that a) I've never heard of upi.com and b) that article seems to be just trying to interpret Tomlin's quote above (in a manner that all the other news sources seem unwilling to leap to) and doesn't seem to have any other info.

If it's not a Lis Franc then that's great news, but at this point I think it's still nebulous as to whether he had the less severe kind of Lis Franc injury or no Lis Franc injury at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette describes Le'Veon Bell's right foot injury as a "small ligament tear," and expects Bell to miss "up to six weeks."

Six weeks seems like a long time at first glance, but it's nothing compared to initial fears of a Lisfranc sprain or fracture. Bell appears to have avoided that, and a six-week timetable could get him back into game action by the first week of October. Bell is worth no more than a mid- to late-round fantasy stab, but not all is lost. He still has a chance to be a 2013 fantasy asset.

Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Aug 23 - 4:25 PM

In one of my PPR dynasty leagues he was just traded for.....wait for it.....Bernard Pierce. Straight up.
Don't see anything wrong with that really.
You must be the owner of one side of that trade. Rice isn't going anywhere, so Pierce, while a good backup, is just that. Bell is a 3 down back and will be the starter as soon as he's healthy. Not seeing how a backup is worth a starter, especially when the backup has an all pro in front of him.

Evilgrin 72 said:
TheLurkerBelow said:
3C said:
Bell walking without pain. They are encouraged by the progress over the last 48 hours. No tear but a sprain.
I just read this great article someone else posted earlier. But it tries to clear up some terminology, including the fact that A Sprain is a Tear.

I think you may be misinformed if you heard he was walking without pain. You're not supposed to put any weight on a lisfranc for several weeks. Just how torn and separated things are in the foot determines if it will heal without surgery.
How am I misinformed if it came from his mouth?Ray Fittipaldo ‏@rayfitt1 48m

Le'Veon Bell said he is walking without discomfort. He is encouraged by his progress.
You would be misinformed for a couple of reasons:

1 - It was reported to be a mid-foot sprain, and thought to be a lisfranc injury.

2 - He is in a walking boot and on crutches.

3 - With a lisfranc, and I suspect (although I am no doctor, I'm only repeating my research) with a mid foot sprain the absolutely most important thing is never to put any weight on the foot, not for at least 4-6 weeks.

So, if Bell was "walking without discomfort" then he either doesn't have the kind of injury that was reported and should be ready to play in two or three days like Jamal Charles, or he is ignoring every doctor's advice and has removed the cast and is putting weight on it, or you are misinformed. I'm guessing that guy you linked to sent some bad information over twitter.

One last note. Sometimes text can be read a few ways. In no way is this any sort of personal attack, please don't read it that way. I'm just laying out the facts as they've been reported so that we're all as knowledgeable as we can be on the subject. I have a rookie draft coming up and there's a chance Bell falls to be so I've been studying this like the crazy obsessive person that I am. I did the same thing a few years ago with Mikel Leshoure and learned enough to pass on a guy with a ruptured Achilles, so far that has been a good decision.

My take on Bell is that he's safe to draft if no surgery is required because I'm more confident in his ability to heal to 100%. If surgery is required then there are players I think are much safer gambles at my draft slot.
Tomlin already talked to the media about this. It is not a Lisfranc injury and no surgery is required. Tomlin would only rule him out for Saturday's game against KC, then they'll take it from there.

All indications right now are that this is not nearly as significant an injury as was first reported. Use this information to your advantage. I acquired Bell in a straight swap for Alshon Jeffery yesterday (PPR) and Bell went in round 5, I took Jeffery in the 15th.
hey EG,I know you follow the steelers closely and respect your opinions about them (or knowledge of facts about them, as case may be)...

just wanted to clarify this , as obviously it could be really important with a lot of drafts taking place in next few weeks...

I can't confirm it, but maybe it just because hasn't hit the news cycle yet (though with something this big, it would seemingly be all over the news very quickly...

1 - since mon or tues, seemed to be consensus that bell does have mid foot sprain, confirmed to be lis franc...

2 - it may have taken additional day or two to get second opinion, but later emerged non-surgical rehab prescribed (best possible news under circumstances - given lis franc sprain)

3 - instead of almost certainly missing the whole season if surgery needed, the prognosis was reduced to 6-8 weeks (not sure if it was covered as much, as what I am about to note is more speculative, inferential, conjectural - it wouldn't be surprise if it ended up being longer, as some of the recent case history profiles, even with non-surgical, rehab variant, have been decidedly mixed, with MJD, for instance, who after an interval attempting to avoid surgery, needed it later anyways, merely prolonging recovery ETA...

* this question could be posed to board as well... is there any recent information or news that conflicts with or contradicts above?
The key here, and it has been said about 30 times in the last two pages. IT IS NOT A LIS FRANK INJURY. Get that out of your head and move on. Way too much discussion of Lis Frank by you when it isn't that. Someone probably mentioned it on Twitter and everyone ran with it, but that was not the case.
post 532 summed up some of the ambiguities about the specific language describing the injury...

there were some remaining questions about whether tomlin meant no lis franc, or a lis franc not as severe as spaeth...

it wasn't just on twitter...

I missed the part where 30 recent posts stated unequivocally and recited like a mantra no lis franc, as if there hasn't been an ongoing discussion about whether he did or not...

there has been conflicting information, when EG noted what sounded like new information, IMO it was worth exploring more closely...

you were responding to one post I made... that is way too much discussion by me? :)

whatever his injury, there is still enough uncertainty about return ETA to absolutely be worth discussing things like ADP impact, draftability, etc.

It's my best guess (and that's all this is) that he stays off of it for a few weeks and is back in the lineup by week 3 or 4. With a week 5 bye, if they don't put him on the PUP list, it's a pretty good sign that he'll be able to play in the first 4 weeks. I don't know that they'd carry him on the 53 for the first 4 games just so he can play week 6 after the bye.
They can't place him on the PUP list, as he has already practiced/played this preseason. PUP list is only available to players on the preseason PUP list, which includes players who have not passed their physical to be placed on the active list.

Just a slight correction, but notable considering we will not have any clue as to how long Bell is out, unless they hit him with the new IR rule, with the ability to return later in the year.
Can't go on PUP but could go on IR/designated for return. Think they'll be using that on Spaeth though.

Evilgrin 72 said:
TheLurkerBelow said:
3C said:
Bell walking without pain. They are encouraged by the progress over the last 48 hours. No tear but a sprain.
I just read this great article someone else posted earlier. But it tries to clear up some terminology, including the fact that A Sprain is a Tear.

I think you may be misinformed if you heard he was walking without pain. You're not supposed to put any weight on a lisfranc for several weeks. Just how torn and separated things are in the foot determines if it will heal without surgery.
How am I misinformed if it came from his mouth?Ray Fittipaldo ‏@rayfitt1 48m

Le'Veon Bell said he is walking without discomfort. He is encouraged by his progress.
You would be misinformed for a couple of reasons:

1 - It was reported to be a mid-foot sprain, and thought to be a lisfranc injury.

2 - He is in a walking boot and on crutches.

3 - With a lisfranc, and I suspect (although I am no doctor, I'm only repeating my research) with a mid foot sprain the absolutely most important thing is never to put any weight on the foot, not for at least 4-6 weeks.

So, if Bell was "walking without discomfort" then he either doesn't have the kind of injury that was reported and should be ready to play in two or three days like Jamal Charles, or he is ignoring every doctor's advice and has removed the cast and is putting weight on it, or you are misinformed. I'm guessing that guy you linked to sent some bad information over twitter.

One last note. Sometimes text can be read a few ways. In no way is this any sort of personal attack, please don't read it that way. I'm just laying out the facts as they've been reported so that we're all as knowledgeable as we can be on the subject. I have a rookie draft coming up and there's a chance Bell falls to be so I've been studying this like the crazy obsessive person that I am. I did the same thing a few years ago with Mikel Leshoure and learned enough to pass on a guy with a ruptured Achilles, so far that has been a good decision.

My take on Bell is that he's safe to draft if no surgery is required because I'm more confident in his ability to heal to 100%. If surgery is required then there are players I think are much safer gambles at my draft slot.
Tomlin already talked to the media about this. It is not a Lisfranc injury and no surgery is required. Tomlin would only rule him out for Saturday's game against KC, then they'll take it from there.

All indications right now are that this is not nearly as significant an injury as was first reported. Use this information to your advantage. I acquired Bell in a straight swap for Alshon Jeffery yesterday (PPR) and Bell went in round 5, I took Jeffery in the 15th.
hey EG,I know you follow the steelers closely and respect your opinions about them (or knowledge of facts about them, as case may be)...

just wanted to clarify this , as obviously it could be really important with a lot of drafts taking place in next few weeks...

I can't confirm it, but maybe it just because hasn't hit the news cycle yet (though with something this big, it would seemingly be all over the news very quickly...

1 - since mon or tues, seemed to be consensus that bell does have mid foot sprain, confirmed to be lis franc...

2 - it may have taken additional day or two to get second opinion, but later emerged non-surgical rehab prescribed (best possible news under circumstances - given lis franc sprain)

3 - instead of almost certainly missing the whole season if surgery needed, the prognosis was reduced to 6-8 weeks (not sure if it was covered as much, as what I am about to note is more speculative, inferential, conjectural - it wouldn't be surprise if it ended up being longer, as some of the recent case history profiles, even with non-surgical, rehab variant, have been decidedly mixed, with MJD, for instance, who after an interval attempting to avoid surgery, needed it later anyways, merely prolonging recovery ETA...

* this question could be posed to board as well... is there any recent information or news that conflicts with or contradicts above?
I'm going strictly by what came out of Tomlin's mouth rather than the various "it is a Lisfranc, it isn't a Lisfranc" reports. Tomlin said that the injury is not as sever as they had feared, that surgery definitely won't be needed, that he's already doing rehab exercises and can put weight on it without pain, and that he isn't definitively ruled out for any games beyond the one on Saturday. Now, I don't think he's playing again in the pre-season, but based on this, anything from week 1 to week 6 seems like a possibility, but they also said the walking boot he's wearing is "a precaution" and that it's a sprain, not a tear.

They also asked him about the 6-8 week reports and he said he hadn't been told that by anyone and isn't sure where that report came from. It's my best guess (and that's all this is) that he stays off of it for a few weeks and is back in the lineup by week 3 or 4. With a week 5 bye, if they don't put him on the PUP list, it's a pretty good sign that he'll be able to play in the first 4 weeks. I don't know that they'd carry him on the 53 for the first 4 games just so he can play week 6 after the bye.
thanks, EG...

that was helpful...

the statements that the injury was not as bad as feared, surgery not needed and sprain aren't mutually exclusive with lis franc...

but the most hopeful information is that he was doing weight bearing rehab already... i thought I read (maybe here in thread?) that lis franc would generally involve no weight bearing for two months (but maybe that was in reference to rehab for the kind associated with severity requiring surgery?) dunno, that would good to know...

unfortunately, it sounds like we can't use PUP inclusion to make inference about expected length of absence... i still also have some questions about what kind of game shape he will be in when he returns... but perhaps the weight bearing info bodes well there, too...

i really hope for his sake and the steelers playoff hopes bell has dodged a bullet - i like him and think he could be their primary RB (beyond this year, too, health permitting) with his developed passing game skills (receiving and blocking)...

still lot of uncertainty about ETA (maybe more risk of resprain than if he hadn't sprained in first place, even if he returns inside earlier state 6-8 week window?)... BTW, when asked, tomlin said that source was not internal... I think that came from prognosis, at best, IF it was lis franc sprain not requiring surgery, which some sources were reporting at one point?

In one of my PPR dynasty leagues he was just traded for.....wait for it.....Bernard Pierce. Straight up.
You must be the owner of one side of that trade. Rice isn't going anywhere, so Pierce, while a good backup, is just that. Bell is a 3 down back and will be the starter as soon as he's healthy. Not seeing how a backup is worth a starter, especially when the backup has an all pro in front of him.
Guess I'm just not sold on Bell to start with, it's not like he's shown anything at the NFL level yet, while Pierce has even if you have to be more patient with him.

I would not consider Bell the starter at this point in time.

Somebody has chosen a higher floor and seemingly more of a "sure thing" in Pierce over the potential for a higher payout at some unknown point in the future in Bell.

It's not hard to look at Pierce' usage late in the season last year + the state of the Raven's offense and come to the conclusion that Pierce has value regardless of Rice.

Many people believe Pierce is a better back.

Any update on when he will be back? Is he going on PUP? For keeper and dynasty folks, what rounds are you trying to grab and stash him?

What do you consider many? Like 20, 30 people? Does Pierce have a large extended family?

i think he might be...

but bell doesn't have ray rice in front of him, and it isn't like rice is ancient (or hasn't been durable).

Irrelevant, to some degree. Ask JStew owners.

Just FYI, but it looks like Redman may be the week 1 starter.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/8/27/4664252/steelers-isaac-redman-leveon-bell-injury

"The Pittsburgh Steelers will start running back Isaac Redman if Le'Veon Bell isn't ready to go for Week 1 of the regular season, according to Dale Lolley of the Washington (Pa.) Observer-Reporter. Redman was competing with Jonathan Dwyer for the starting spot in the event that Bell would have to miss the game.

Bell is considered day-to-day with a foot injury. It was initially feared that he had a Lisfranc injury, but it was later described as a mid-foot sprain ... before everyone went back to calling it a Lisfranc injury. Fortunately, it was not the kind of injury that required season-ending surgery.

Redman is also dealing with some injuries of his own. He's missed two preseason games with a stinger injury, and has been ruled out of the team's fourth preseason game. That said, he's close to coming back, and might have played this week if it were a regular season game."

Reports are all over the place on Bell. He's a nice stash as an Rb4 if you can get him there.
Bingo. He's value now.

Combo of the L-Word, and the line looking bad in preseason means you get a steal now. now he's a backup, and you don't need him till the bye weeks.

Right. I had a choice as a McCoy owner between Bell, pierce, and Bryce brown. Pierce was not considered and I went Bell over Broqn on upside alone even though I had handcuff value in Bryce. Once healthy I think Bells value far outstrips Browns.

Right. I had a choice as a McCoy owner between Bell, pierce, and Bryce brown. Pierce was not considered and I went Bell over Broqn on upside alone even though I had handcuff value in Bryce. Once healthy I think Bells value far outstrips Browns.
Bell and Moreno are on the wire right now. Neither was drafted.

Irrelevant, to some degree. Ask JStew owners.
I agree with both sides here. Pierce is a really good back and in dynasty you roll more with talent. But then there is reality too. "Ask JStew owners."

I look at it this way. If he hits big, he's going to be a Michael Turner type guy. If he misses, you won't have much trouble cutting him.

I look at it this way. If he hits big, he's going to be a Michael Turner type guy. If he misses, you won't have much trouble cutting him.
I presume you don't mean the "playing behind the established starter for several years" part of the Michael Turner experience?

Hey what does that emoticon mean? I've always wondered this.

It is great Bell has the boot off. Maybe he will be back by week 3.
When the old board software was running, the blackdot was to the left of all threads you had posted in.

Some people would post random things to mark the thread so they could easily revisit it later.

Eventually this blackdot emoticon was added as an easy click to mark and save a thread.

Now with the new software we have a blue/white star to the left of a thread you have posted in. But people still use this old emoticon.

Not sure what the Steelers saw in Bell... he kind of reminds me of <gulp> Daniel thomas.
wow, the guy has had what? 4 preseason carries and you are already writing him off?
Wouldn't say I'm writing him off, but he looked pretty meh and the youtube scouting didn't impress much either.
I don't know if that'll matter though. Steelers sounds like they really want to use him as a workhorse rb. If he's healthy, he'll likely be the starting rb.

Not sure what the Steelers saw in Bell... he kind of reminds me of <gulp> Daniel thomas.
wow, the guy has had what? 4 preseason carries and you are already writing him off?
Wouldn't say I'm writing him off, but he looked pretty meh and the youtube scouting didn't impress much either.
I'm one of the ones who thought he nimble enough for a big guy to succeed in the NFL, but I watched his carries against the Redskins and came away very unimpressed. I don't think he has very good vision and for a guy without an elite burst he runs somewhat soft. I'd be looking to sell him if I was an owner.

I'm one of the ones who thought he nimble enough for a big guy to succeed in the NFL, but I watched his carries against the Redskins and came away very unimpressed. I don't think he has very good vision and for a guy without an elite burst he runs somewhat soft. I'd be looking to sell him if I was an owner.
I just don't get all the hate, and I admit I like him more than most. How can you say he ran soft on 4 carries on a bad knee?

This place can be funny (and I'm not excluding myself).

Bell is a top 3 rookie, gets dinged, doesn't look great on 4 preseason carries, sprains his foot...and the sky is falling.

Eddie Lacy is fat, injury prone, threatened by Franklin, then looks good in one game...and he's the top rookie RB.

All from a few pre-season carries.

Hey what does that emoticon mean? I've always wondered this.It is great Bell has the boot off. Maybe he will be back by week 3.
It's the "black dot" emoticon to have a thread show up as one in which you replied on the thread list page of the forum.

The new board shows a star when you reply in a thread , the old board showed a black dot or something like that. Either way, people would just type a period in the thread so it would be listed among the threads they replied in, allowing them to more easily follow that thread. That turned into the Blackdot emoticon.

Bell should be a dynasty buy right now. If a month ago you thought Bell was close in value to guys like Ridley, Gio, Lacy, Miller, etc., you should be moving those guys for him+ right now, if you can afford to miss the RB2 production for 3-6 weeks. Nothing should have altered his value, with the exception of the 3-6 missed games. He's the same player he was a month ago.

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette describes Le'Veon Bell's right foot injury as a "small ligament tear," and expects Bell to miss "up to six weeks."

Six weeks seems like a long time at first glance, but it's nothing compared to initial fears of a Lisfranc sprain or fracture. Bell appears to have avoided that, and a six-week timetable could get him back into game action by the first week of October. Bell is worth no more than a mid- to late-round fantasy stab, but not all is lost. He still has a chance to be a 2013 fantasy asset.

Funny how there is no comment on this.

Like I said, it's not a lis frank.

Funny how there is no comment on this.

Like I said, it's not a lis frank.
WE LANDED ON THE MOON!

I took Bell early Aug in a keeper auction for $19-$20 (200 cap/18 roster).

After the injury I dropped him with the intention of rebuying him on blind bid waivers for cheaper.

I was thinking $6-10 would give me a fair shot at him especially since most franchises did not have more than $4-8 cap space (hard cap).

I gambled and lost out on the Bell bidding sweepstakes.

My bid was $7.05 and he went for just over $13 (2014 sal would be $19.80).

I'm ok with that but just thought I'd share my story.

I do see Bell still going in auctions (1 yr and keeper) for $9-15 range.

This place can be funny (and I'm not excluding myself).

Bell is a top 3 rookie, gets dinged, doesn't look great on 4 preseason carries, sprains his foot...and the sky is falling.

Eddie Lacy is fat, injury prone, threatened by Franklin, then looks good in one game...and he's the top rookie RB.

All from a few pre-season carries.
Agreed. When we have absolutely no evidence on how a player looks at the NFL level, even the tiniest scraps take on huge significance because that's all we have to go on. It's easy to lose sight of just how meager those scraps really are.

I think he is a good value pick right now. Just remember that since they have a week 5 bye, even if he came back in week 3-4 he would be eased in. Full load no earlier than week 6, but hey, thats 2/3 of a season..

Users who are viewing this thread