What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Le'Veon Bell, FA - 9.6.21 Workout For Baltimore (9 Viewers)

Not a Gase or Bell fan, but Manish Mehta is the source here and he is a total hack. 

Just two weeks ago Mehta tweeted how the Jets weren’t making a change and any rumblings were 100% false. 

If I owned Bell I would be moving him. Age, prior suspensions, new team. How great is Bell vs. how great is the system he played in? DeAngelo Williams put up big numbers near the end of his career when he had to step in. James Conner put up pretty big numbers when he had to step in. I'm not saying Bell is junk but I think there are a lot of things pointing to a lot less success with the Jets.

The story is more about the rift between Gase and fired GM Mac. But holy hell does Gase have cheese for brains? Instead of alienating a player, maybe just shut up or simply say positive things about having a stud offensive weapon.
Adam Gase essentially told Stephen Ross to #### himself. This is going to be fun. Both these men deserve each other. The sad part of it is Darnold looks like he’s an actual franchise QB. Gase could crush that or it could be 3-5 years before they’re able to put a team around him.

Exactly the reason I stated I would avoid Bell. Gase is a joke of a coach. Drake was >>>>> Gore yet he stuck with Gore.

I can't and won't trust him with Bell. This recent news only cements my feelings. 

Exactly the reason I stated I would avoid Bell. Gase is a joke of a coach. Drake was >>>>> Gore yet he stuck with Gore.

I can't and won't trust him with Bell. This recent news only cements my feelings. 
The money is already paid. He's didn't want to pay the RB position that much. He's going to play Bell and play Bell a lot.

I don't think this changes anything for Bell or his fantasy prospects. Either way Bell was going to get cut or traded after the 2020 season when his guaranteed money has mostly run out. Bell will be a Jet for 2 years, when he'll move on or retire. I think that there's less than a 10% chance that he's a Jet at the start of the 2021 season, especially if other RB contracts for decent RBs come in at a value lower than his. 

That said, I think that they use Bell a ton this year and next, and that he has enough volume to be a top 12 RB, but not top 5. 

I don't think this changes anything for Bell or his fantasy prospects. Either way Bell was going to get cut or traded after the 2020 season when his guaranteed money has mostly run out.
That was my thought when he signed the contract but now I could see them actually upping this a year via trade and parting ways after just one year. If Jets traded him before June 1 next year they would take a $6M  dead money hit but money spent is money spent, that's a sunk cost. They would actually save $9.5M in cap space. Extra cap space for 2020, draft pick compensation and being done paying RB major money might all be to much for them to pass next year if things don't great for all parties involved this upcoming season.

I know I’m probably classified as a hater at this point but I would have legitimate concern that Gase gets pissed about Bell’s running style. I remember thinking at times during his Steelers days that the Steelers are one of the few teams who staff tolerates this. 

Never mind... skipped over the trade rumors. Life comes at you fast. Pittsburgh should cough up a two just to be the most bitter team of all time.

@JohnClaytonNFL on Le'Veon Bell: "If there's a suitor, I could absolutely see the Jets trading him before the start of the season."
Since any team that acquired him before the season would owe him all but $2M of the contract he signed the only way I think this happens is something like an Osweiler trade where Jets have to pay someone to take Bell. I'd not rule it out.

ETA- Actually I was not thinking straight when I wrote the above.

If the Jets traded him this off-season they would have covered $8M of his bonus but they could do it from a cap angle with ease.

The team trading him for him would essentially owe him this:

2019:  $6.5M with another $500K available in "other bonus" which at most pushes his pay to $7M.

2020-$13.5M which I think is fully guaranteed.

So two years of Bell for $20M and no cap hit if they want out. That's not so bad.

Then if his potential new team wanted to keep him:

2021- $11.5M without a penny guaranteed

So two years of Bell essentially guaranteed to cost $20M for two years or 3 years of Bell for $31.5M with $20M guaranteed and zero cap hit to release him after two years.

Looking at how Gase wanted some key talent out of Miami he did not think helped the culture he was trying to create along with Bell no-showing the off season for the most part I can absolutely see this happening. Tampa?

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, but just this rumor has to have Bell fuming, right? This team could completely blow up before Week 1 even hits. I'd say there's a non-zero chance that Gase is fired before ever coaching a game in NY.
He’d be in good company.  The list of “Jets head coaches who never coached a game” has an incredible track record of subsequent success.

This seems like it is already turning into an avoid Bell at all costs situation. Again...

Maybe, just maybe, Kenyan Drake is nowhere close to as good as LeVeon Bell?
Does that mean Gase is more or less likely to make an example out of Le'veon when he looks at Gase the wrong way? 

I really like Le'veon, but Gase is a complete idiot who constantly makes points by benching the best players.  Jay Ajayi, Devante Parker, Kenyan Drake were all held back by Gase being so smart he can win with inferior talent as long as they obey his every command at all times. 

kittenmittens said:
Does that mean Gase is more or less likely to make an example out of Le'veon when he looks at Gase the wrong way? 

I really like Le'veon, but Gase is a complete idiot who constantly makes points by benching the best players.  Jay Ajayi, Devante Parker, Kenyan Drake were all held back by Gase being so smart he can win with inferior talent as long as they obey his every command at all times. 
Devante Parker was held back by Devante Parker

Why would a team give up a pick next year when they could have had him without sacrificing a pick this year?
Correct me if I am wrong but has happened before I believe? And I think the Jets were involved? I thought they signed Teddy Bridgewater, drafted Darnold and then traded Bridgewater to the Saints for a pick? I'm going on my feeble memory so I may be wrong.

Correct me if I am wrong but has happened before I believe? And I think the Jets were involved? I thought they signed Teddy Bridgewater, drafted Darnold and then traded Bridgewater to the Saints for a pick? I'm going on my feeble memory so I may be wrong.
I think that's true.

And I think I read that if the Jets trade him, they eat the signing bonus - which would be enticing to the new team. 

It would be similar to the Browns paying umpteen million dollars to Houston to get Osweiler and a second.

Jets coach Adam Gase said he is "excited" Le'Veon Bell is on the team.

Gase was reportedly not on board with paying a running back big money in free agency, but he says he is happy to coach Bell now that he is on the team. "Everybody can criticize the contract all you want, but he's here," Gase said. "When you get a chance to coach a great player, I'm excited for that opportunity." The coach also shot down chatter about the Jets trading Bell now that ex-GM Mike Maccagnan is out the door, calling the idea ridiculous. Despite the rocky offseason, Bell should be a workhorse in 2019.

SOURCE: Ralph Vacchiano on Twitter

May 23, 2019, 10:20 AM ET

If he winds up falling to the 2nd, slam dunk.  But I don't think that will be the case.
I just got him pick 2 of round 2. It’s an FFPC superflex league where Mahomes and Luck are already drafted but even still he’s likely falling to the 12-14 overall range. I couldn’t pass him up.

Le'Veon Bell reported to the Jets' facilities ahead of Tuesday's mandatory minicamp.

Although his attendance was never in doubt, Jets fans can breathe a sigh of relief that Bell is in the building and ready to go for the team's three-day minicamp — the first and only mandatory event of the spring. Had he not shown up, Bell would've been subjected to numerous fines. It will be the first time we've seen the 27-year-old on a practice field in the last 17 months.

SOURCE: New York Jets on Twitter

Jun 3, 2019, 4:38 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread