What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Le'Veon Bell, FA - 9.6.21 Workout For Baltimore (9 Viewers)

Hoping the Jets revenge game narrative becomes reality.
I think it's a good game script for him because they should easily build a lead and have plenty of chances to work him in but can we really call it a revenge game? I guess that has more ring to it then  calling it a "something to prove" game but I'm thinking he should be thankful to the Jets organization for the rest of his life.

Traded Bell for Gurley  today. i needed a rb that I could plug and play every week and the Gurley owner could afford to take the gamble on Bell. This could go very well or very bad for me.

Well you'd think if there is ever a game Bell is going to go off, it would be this one 
I think it really depends if he is up to speed with the offense yet or not or needs more time practicing and learning the playbook first.  

Maybe he gets a couple extra snaps, but I doubt Reid is going to have any focus on giving him a revenge game and won't use him more than he is comfortable with yet (and I have no idea what the comfort level is).  If anything, I'd expect him to have bigger games as the season goes on as both the team and him become more comfortable with each other.  It's probably easiest for a RB to get up to speed than other positions, so I'm not sure how long that takes, but it will be interesting to see. 

I thought he looked good in his few carries last week. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Traded Bell for Gurley  today. i needed a rb that I could plug and play every week and the Gurley owner could afford to take the gamble on Bell. This could go very well or very bad for me.
Feels like a pretty solid trade.  Low floor/High ceiling for high floor/low ceiling.   I'd take the clear RB1 in a good-ish of late offense vs the Rb1B-at-best in KC.

Feels like a pretty solid trade.  Low floor/High ceiling for high floor/low ceiling.   I'd take the clear RB1 in a good-ish of late offense vs the Rb1B-at-best in KC.
That's what I figured. This is a 14 team league so I'm banking  on the sure starter. Barring injury, I can't see Gurley not producing week in and week out. Bell I can see as being more streaky.

The Le’Veon Bell revenge game could get ugly for Adam Gase’s Jets

On Sunday, Le’Veon Bell will face his former team, the New York Jets. While Bell hasn’t spoken to Kansas City media this week, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to know he’ll be fired up for this one.

For starters, Bell, who was released by the winless Jets a few weeks ago, went out of his way to land on a team that would face his former team within weeks of his signing. Amid reports that Jets coach Adam Gase never wanted Bell, who signed with New York as a big-money free agent in March 2019, it’s the perfect opportunity to avenge the lack of respect Gase showed him.

Let’s be very clear: That was his experience in New York. It’s not like Bell is an old man. He’s 28. Yet, Gase never adequately catered the offense to his strengths, and the desperate Jets released him midseason. It was a slap in the face, even if Gase wouldn’t say he expects Bell to be fired up for this one.

“Yeah, I’m pretty sure that he’s going to be worried about just winning a game, period,” Gase told reporters Thursday.

Problem is, kicking the Jets’ tails would go hand-in-hand with getting his revenge.

“I know he’s going to be hyped up — he’s supposed to,” said Jets running back Frank Gore, who has played for five different NFL teams and knows what it’s like to face an ex-squad. “Like you said, they just released him a couple weeks ago and he gets an opportunity to show that he still can play. I feel like he still can play.”

Former All-Pro running back Brian Westbrook agrees. Like Gore, he knows from experience. Westbrook starred for current Chiefs coach Andy Reid’s Philadelphia Eagles teams for eight seasons before facing his old squad in 2010 as a member of the San Francisco 49ers.

“It was almost like, ‘I don’t need to study this week — I just need to go out there and play,’” said Westbrook, who spoke to Yahoo Sports on behalf of Crown Royal’s purple bag project. “I was ready to play, I was excited to beat Andy and the guys that I played against for a long time and just hit them and be hit by them. It was a cool feeling for me, something that kind of gets your juices flowing and gets you excited when gameday comes around.”

Westbrook also offered the important caveat that he played for the Eagles far longer than Bell played for the Jets, so Bell doesn’t have the same attachment to the Jets that Westbrook had for the Eagles.

“I think if the Chiefs played the Steelers, he’d probably feel it a little bit more,” Westbrook said. “But he did play for the Jets, nonetheless.”

Which means Bell is set to go off for Kansas City, Westbrook said, not just this week — but beyond, too.

Why Le’Veon Bell is a perfect fit for Andy Reid’s offense

For starters, Westbrook loves the potential of what Reid can scheme up with his new running back tandem of Bell and rookie Clyde Edwards-Helaire, the NFL’s second-leading rusher. Westbrook made two Pro Bowls for Philly under Reid and knows what a running back needs to do to thrive in his system.

“It would probably take me an hour to tell you everything they can do together,” Westbrook said.

Both can run inside zone and outside zone, he said, and both can run power concepts. Plus Bell can line up outside and run quality, receiver-style routes, while Edwards-Helaire offers a big-play element. 

With all the talent around the Chiefs — Patrick Mahomes, Travis Kelce, Tyreek Hill, Sammy Watkins among them — opponents can’t devote resources to stopping either man, which should lead to a rushing yardage windfall this season.

“If you’re the defense, you’ve got to pick your poison a bit,” Westbrook said. “If I’m playing against Kansas City, I’m saying we have to get after Patrick Mahomes and not allow him to have so much success throwing bombs down the field.” 

In order to do that, Westbrook said, defenses have to back up their linebackers, safeties and cornerbacks and concede the short stuff.

“And that kind of lends itself to what we’ve seen the past couple weeks, where you just hand the ball to your running back and allow them to go to work,” Westbrook said. “It’s a hard offense to stop when you think about all the weapons.”

It’s even harder to stop when you’re as talent-deprived as the Jets. Yet, there is a scenario where the Chiefs’ run game doesn’t go crazy Sunday.

How the Jets can prevent a big Bell day 

If Gregg Williams, the Jets’ infamously aggressive defensive coordinator, concedes the run like all the other teams that have had success against Kansas City have done, Bell and Edwards-Helaire will have big games. 

Here’s the thing about that: doing so might negate one of the Jets’ few strengths. Their run defense has been adequate this year, as they rank 14th against the rush, according to Football Outsiders’ DVOA. 

On the flip side, they rank 28th against the pass in DVOA. If Williams sticks to his philosophy of taking away the run — which could be tempting, especially with a former Jet with hard feelings lining up in the Chiefs’ backfield — Kansas City’s passing game will likely go crazy.

It’s a no-win situation for the Jets. Anything can happen in the NFL, but the Chiefs (6-1) are 19.5-point favorites to win according to BetMGM, meaning Bell is highly likely to get his revenge, big individual day on the ground or not.

Yet, someone on Kansas City’s offense is probably going to go off Sunday, and it would be poetic justice if it’s Bell, who figures to have a better result against the Jets than Westbrook had in his “revenge game” against the Eagles in 2010, when he logged a single carry for 6 yards in the 49ers’ 27-24 loss.

“If you think about what you’ve seen from the Jets so far this season, you can’t help but think this kind of a homecoming game for the Kansas City Chiefs, a great stat game,” Westbrook said with a laugh. “It’s one of those games where you circle off on the calendar and say I’ve got to get a couple touchdowns today because this is going to help me boost my Pro Bowl status.”

Anyone actually bought on him?

I'm a bit RB needy in a dynasty league. 

I was offered Bell for Kirk and Tua in a non-SF league, but feel that's way overpaying.  Trying to get an idea of what level of guy Bell is worth.

personally I think people need to pump the brakes a little.....I feel Bell is coming in as a complimentary piece and the ceiling would be Hunt when Chubb is healthy.... IMO Reid could care less about any revenge angle, that's not what they are about in KC.....and he probably isn't going to run it up in any way shape or form when/if they get a big lead....he won't want it to seem like he is letting Bell go gang busters just to rub it in to the Jets....

I think they will let him get his revenge. 6 TDs is not out of question 
I think .6 is a reasonable estimate for both Bell and CEE.    Jets run defense is surprisingly good, their main weakness is the occasional big gainer, which neither Bell nor CEE are known for.

I'm just glad that we speak to people on behalf of their corporate sponsors now.

Did anybody catch that? We spoke to Westbrook as part of Crown Royal's Purple Bag Project blah blah blah.

That's disgusting. 

Truebluey said:
I think .6 is a reasonable estimate for both Bell and CEE.    Jets run defense is surprisingly good, their main weakness is the occasional big gainer, which neither Bell nor CEE are known for.
Who is CEE?

Le'Veon Bell rushed six times for seven yards in the Chiefs' Week 8 win over the Jets, adding three receptions for 31 additional yards. 

Aside from turning a screen into an 18-yard catch early in the first quarter, Bell failed to take revenge on his former club as the Chiefs barely ran the ball in a blowout victory. Bell failed to convert 3rd-and-2 and 4th-and-1 carries for first downs, with the latter coming from the Jets' 14-yard line in the third quarter. Bell now has just 12 totes through two games as a Chief. He has an appealing Week 9 matchup in the Panthers before the Chiefs head on bye, but we have not seen much reason through two games in red to regard Bell as anything more than a low-floor FLEX. 

- Rotoworld

Yeah its not just the Jets. He looks tentative and slow and done.

Maybe gase isn't QUITE as dumb as we all think 

Have you all watched Bell run before? His M.O. is patience which I understand could look like hesitance to some. He's never been the kinda back that will plow into the line whether there's a hole or not. 

He didn't look washed to me at all. He just looks like Leveon Bell looks when he's out of sync with his O-line. 

Have you all watched Bell run before? His M.O. is patience which I understand could look like hesitance to some. He's never been the kinda back that will plow into the line whether there's a hole or not. 

He didn't look washed to me at all. He just looks like Leveon Bell looks when he's out of sync with his O-line. 
The OL he had in Pitt was a huge luxury that afforded him some patience which fit his style.  Its not there with KC and for sure looks washed as well.  Faded not thread bare.  I see a difference between 23 yo LB and almost 29 yo LB just like i see it with most RBs. 

Hmmmm.

Adam Teicher

@adamteicher

Clyde Edwards-Helaire was not at the early part of Chiefs practice today. I'm told he was in the building earlier today. Will learn his situation when the Chiefs issue their injury report later

2:41 PM · Nov 19, 2020·Twitter for Android

Le'Veon Bell rushed five times for 22 yards in the Chiefs' Week 12 win over the Bucs.

Bell caught both of his targets for 10 yards in the passing game. Clyde Edwards-Helaire out-touched Bell 12-7, but neither was a factor with Patrick Mahomes throwing for 462 yards and three scores. Bell hasn't been a fantasy asset at all since signing with the Chiefs. He's been far more of a drain on CEH.

- Rotoworld

Le'Veon Bell rushed 11 times for 40 yards and caught 2-of-3 targets for 15 yards in Week 13 against the Broncos.

Bell was the lead back with Clyde Edwards-Helaire sitting out. He out-touched Darrel Williams (6), who got most of his carries running out the clock in the fourth quarter. Bell didn't put any heat on Edwards-Helaire with his performance, failing to convert two chances at the goal-line in the second quarter. He'll go back to a low-volume No. 2 role when Edwards-Helaire returns next week.

Dec 7, 2020, 12:00 AM ET

Le'Veon Bell rushed twice for 21 yards in the Chiefs' Week 14 win against the Dolphins, adding two catches for 14 yards. 

Bell tweeted after the game that he was "so confused" in what could be in reference to the Federal Reserve refusing to raise interest rates or his usage in KC's offense. Bell was coming off an 11-carry game against the Broncos, but that was without Clyde Edwards-Helaire, who missed the game with a stomach illness. CEH saw 21 touches against the Dolphins. Bell is nothing more than a bench stash for the season's final weeks.

- Rotoworld

Le'Veon Bell (knee) did not practice Wednesday.

Clyde Edwards-Helaire (ankle) also remained out of practice. In CEH's first game out last week, Bell was actually out-touched 14-8 by Darrel Williams, suggesting the Chiefs aren't going to be committing to Bell should Edwards-Helaire need to miss playoff games. We could see a lot of Darwin Thompson this week against the Chargers with the Chiefs resting all their key starters.

Dec 30, 2020, 8:57 PM ET

LE'VEON BELL RB, KANSAS CITY CHIEFS

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Chiefs RB Le'Veon Bell (knee) will be active but RB Darwin Thompson will see "the bulk of the carries" in Week 17 against the Chargers.

Rapoport didn't mention RB Darrel Williams but given that he did say Thompson would be getting the bulk of the carries, it's safe to assume Williams will be a non-factor for Week 17. Clyde Edwards-Helaire is out with a groin injury and could be sidelined for multiple weeks so the Chiefs will likely take a cautious approach with the use of his backups in a meaningless game. Thompson is a low-end RB3 because of his expected volume but all of that comes with the caveat that his offense will be helmed by Chad Henne this week.

RELATED: 

Darrel Williams

, Darwin Thompson

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Jan 3, 2021, 8:35 AM ET

So a dynasty drop with no hesitation for Bell this offseason or *maybe* he'd have a shot at some meaningful playing time if he signs with somehwere like Miami?  At this point I'm still holding but I hate roster cloggers and he seems to have transformed into that. Gurley feels like he's in the same boat... my how the mighty fall. 

I'm usually the last guy to cut someone with a resume like his, but if he looked that bad in KC, I don't see him a year older on a lesser team being a value pick.

So a dynasty drop with no hesitation for Bell this offseason or *maybe* he'd have a shot at some meaningful playing time if he signs with somehwere like Miami? 
Depends on league roster size but when you look at his time in KC, and 3 games specifically, it's very hard to build a legit case that a change of scenery would do him good. Put another way what situation could he go where it would compare to those 3 games I mentioned when he played on an offense as good as the Chiefs and his stiffest comp for touches was a RB the quality of Darell Williams?

Those 3 games are the two games that CHE missed and the game he was active but did not play.

Bell's PPR fantasy production those games: 7.5, 4.9 and .6

Really as someone who owns Bell I'm just glad I got those few games sample size so I could fully see that he's done. I in fact would not be surprised if does not play again.

Le'Veon Bell was held out of Thursday's practice after experiencing swelling in his knee. 

Bell was absent from Wednesday's injury report, but that is when the swelling began. He is now on the wrong side of questionable for Sunday's AFC title tilt with the Bills, but even if Bell was healthy, he was going to have a small role. That is even if Clyde Edwards-Helaire (ankle, hip) remains sidelined. Regardless of what happens going forward this week, Bell cannot be trusted in DFS. 

Looking for a RB in DFS?: Check out the lineup optimizer, salary tracker and projections with our exclusive DFS Tools, which you can get by purchasing the EDGE⁺ Max premium package.

SOURCE: Sam McDowell on Twitter 

Jan 21, 2021, 2:43 PM ET

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Chiefs RB Le'Veon Bell (knee, questionable) is not expected to play in the Conference Championship game against the Bills.

Even with Clyde Edwards-Helaire out, Bell was relegated to backup duties last week. He saw just two carries on 11 snaps and was unable to convert on any of his three targets. Darrel Williams logged 13 carries and four targets. With Bell out, there should be enough touches in the Kansas City backfield for both Williams and CEH to have fantasy-relevant roles. The split between the two will be indecipherable until kickoff but both are viable DFS plays in tournaments.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Jan 24, 2021, 9:06 AM ET

Le'Veon Bell (knee) is inactive for the AFC Championship Game against the Bills. 

With Clyde Edwards-Helaire (hip, ankle) returning, Bell wasn't going to be a part of the game plan, anyways. In his absence, Darrel Williams will split snaps and touches with CEH. 

Jan 24, 2021, 5:20 PM ET

Le'Veon Bell said he signed with the Chiefs in October because he wouldn't get a significant workload. 

Bell said he seriously considered signing with the Dolphins but wanted "to go somewhere where I can still have my body and still help the team win." In Miami, Bell figured he'd see far more touches than in KC's loaded offense. "That’s what separated the Dolphins and the Chiefs. I felt like if I went to the Dolphins, I would have done a little more," Bell added. "It’s hard even trying to explain it. But it was real close between the Dolphins, Bills and Chiefs.” It's a revealing comment -- one that shows an abnormal sense of how much work the aging running back can handle. In KC, Bell has started two games and rushed for 254 yards and two touchdowns on 64 carries. He'll be third in the team's backfield pecking order this Sunday against Tampa. 

RELATED: 

Clyde Edwards-Helaire

, Darrel Williams

SOURCE: MiamiHerald.com 

Feb 2, 2021, 10:57 AM ET

Le'Veon was never the most diplomatically savvy sort of guy, was he? He figured he'd get less work, huh? Hoo baby, back up the Brinks truck to sign this guy next year.

He's cooked. He was cooked when he sat out the year and signed with the Jets. Frank Gore flat out beat him out for the job.

Makes you wonder. These guys that opted out -- and I have nothing but sympathy for them so this isn't a loaded question to be a jerk -- are they going to be able to come back even if they want? I mean, take C.J. Mosely. It is assumed that he will step into the Jets starting MLB position next year, yet he hasn't played a down in two years. He can't be in football shape. I'm thinking of the Pats defense, etc., in addition to this. I think we're going to be in for a rude awakening for some guys next year, if the year isn't still marred by COVID complications. 

Users who are viewing this thread