What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Le'Veon Bell, FA - 9.6.21 Workout For Baltimore (11 Viewers)

I haven't changed anything -- the difference is that you read "power RB" as "short yardage RB" while by "power RB" I mean "inside banger" as opposed to a more versatile 3 down type. I also think that you are putting too much emphasis on the tiny sample size of Blount's short yardage carries, and ignoring the improvement in his short yardage efficiency last year.

Re: your projection, we're not that far apart -- but your projection (in PPR) would have put Bell at 13th in PPG last year (11th in standard), which isn't what I'm looking for in the 1st round, which is almost certainly where he'll be going. YMMV.
"Inside bangers" would be successful in short-yardage situations, right? So, if Blount was a good "inside banger," his SY stats should reflect that, right?I am basing this on what I've seen of Blount, and on stats that back up what I've seen. If you have any stats that counter that, please feel free to share them, but based on what I've seen, and the stats that exist, he isn't. He does well when he can get to the second level, he can run through holes and run over DBs, but he isn't very good at getting the tough yards that a "power rb"/"inside banger" should be good at.

With regards to this comment:

I also think that you are putting too much emphasis on the tiny sample size of Blount's short yardage carries, and ignoring the improvement in his short yardage efficiency last year.
You do realize that your are contradicting yourself, right? You say I am putting too much emphasis on a tiny sample size (although it's not a sample size, it's ALL of his short yardage carries in his career), and then suggest that an even smaller sample of 5 carries from 2014 are somehow more reliable? Andre Johnson hasn't scored a lot of TDs in his career, if he puts up 3 in the 1st game of 2014, is he suddenly a TD machine?Finally, the projections I gave would have made Bell RB10 in standard (193.2 FF points, Reggie Bush was 10 with 193.2), and 10th in ppr (240.2, ADP was 10 with 238.7), not 11th and 13th as you suggest.

While ADP is virtually meaningless at this point, ffcalculator has Bell as the 9th RB off the board (pick 2.04) as of today. He's not a first round pick, so you shouldn't pick him as one, but if you pick a stud WR at the end of round 1, you could do worse than Bell as your 2nd round pick. If you pick a RB in round 1, and get Bell as your RB2, all the better.
Not interested in arguing semantics, sorry.

And yes, the short yardage carries are too small a sample size from which to draw a meaningful conclusion, whether broken out or not. I'm certainly not the one basing anything significant on them.

You evidently missed the fact that I stated PPG for your projection -- my numbers are accurate.

We obviously disagree on the relative talent levels of Blount vs. Bell -- and that's OK. Good luck with him this year.
Why are 72 carries too small a sample size (again not a "sample;" it's his entire body of work), but a 5 carry sample from last year is worth drawing a meaningful conclusion?

I did miss the PPG (or actually, I mis-read it as PPR); my apologies.

I don't know that we really disagree all that much, and you are correct, we seem to be arguing semantics. Good luck to you as well.

As a steeler fan I love adding Bryant, Blount and Archer to the offense.

Also a healthy Heath Miller all year (hopefully)

But if I owned Bell, I'd be nervous the only reason to bring Blount in is to give Bell less of a work load.

Less work never turns out good
I just checked every NFL roster. They all have more than one RB on them.

But if I owned Bell, I'd be nervous the only reason to bring Blount in is to give Bell less of a work load.

A lot of people are going to blow Blount up as something more and cause Bell to be had for cheap in redrafts, I like that.

If Blount was so good he wouldnt be on his 4th team coming up in his 5th year.

I know where you stand on Blount, and I respect your FF analyses. However, I didn't restrict my data to just 3/4 down. My numbers are also from DD, but they include all 4 downs (with less than 3 yards to go), with regards to SY. The GL data I used (also from DD) includes any carries from in the 5. As I posted earlier, in his 4 year career, he ranks 41st amongst RBs in YPC in short-yardage situations, 42nd in 1st down conversion in short-yardage situations, and 31st in TD rate in GL situations. Those are from his entire 4 year career, you can't get any larger sample size than that.

With regards to his success rate last year, if drawing conclusions from a 24 carry sample is "statistically questionable," the same can be said with regards to drawing conclusions from a 5 carry sample (especially when it flies in the face of a larger sample size).

As far as Blount running over people, I've watched him most of his career. I owned him in several FF leagues during his 1st 2 years in TB, and I followed him last year as I owned Vereen & was vested in the NE RB situation. If you watch the film, most of the people he runs over are after he gets up a head of steam & they are often DBs. He is far less successful against DL and LBs.

Finally, with regard to his vision, I can't show any stats, data, etc, but in watching Blount, he doesn't seem to see openings, lanes, cut-backs, etc. You can draw your own conclusions, and we'll have to agree to disagree, because I know what I perceive in this area.
Well, I don't pay much attention to screen names so I figured I'd just be open about it.

Anyway, 1st and 3 or less is extremely rare. 2nd and 3 or less is hardly considered a short yardage situation. Defenses are forced to play the pass honestly there. The true judge of a SY back is on 3rd/4th down and goal line, of which Blount has an extremely small sample for a guy who has been in the league for 4 years. Looking at his career objectively, his rookie year he tore it up. His second year the entire team collapsed. Can hardly fault the guy for a mediocre 4.2 YPA on that dumpster fire of a team (especially when comparing him to a guy with 3.6 YPA on a good team). His third year he barely played and his coach openly disliked him. His fourth year he did quite well. He also got the most short yardage opportunity of his career and did the best out of all of them (he also posted his second 5.0 YPC of his short career, excluding an insane playoff game 24/166/4 - converted 6 of 9 attempts on downs with less than 3 yards to gain, 2/2 at goal line). Either way, the sample size is small and it is unfair for you to label him a bad power back based solely on a small sample of short yardage attempts. If anything, you should acknowledge the possibility he has improved with coaching, something he lacked his first two years.

I don't think anyone has seen enough out of Bell to say definitively that he's a better runner than a guy with a career 4.7 YPA and who just outshined a fairly well respected runner in Ridley under the same conditions. I think we all agree that Blount won't be stealing his job, but I play a lot of redrafts and I won't be spending a second rounder on Bell. The risk is too high.

Never said they dont. but nice work trying to be a smart ###. But its a lot different having a guy on your roster like Blount as a back up,

then Dwyer/Redman and the other mess they have had back their previously..

Never said they dont. but nice work trying to be a smart ###. But its a lot different having a guy on your roster like Blount as a back up,

Well you said "the only reason to bring Blount in is to give Bell less of a work load" - you could say that about any backup RB (they lessen the workload), but your implication seemed to that Blount was brought in as something more than just as a backup. Maybe he was, but it's not the only reason a team would sign another RB. The team had no other viable option besides Bell at the position.

Well you said "the only reason to bring Blount in is to give Bell less of a work load" - you could say that about any backup RB (they lessen the workload), but your implication seemed to that Blount was brought in as something more than just as a backup. Maybe he was, but it's not the only reason a team would sign another RB. The team had no other viable option besides Bell at the position.
right they could of brought back dwyer or redman, or you or me in the backfield but it wouldnt do much for Bells work load.. bringing in viable backup, is going to actually lighten is workload. There is different types of back up rbs in the league. Ones who will take carries away and ones who are mainly their for some carries but in case the main guy gets hurt.

either way bringing in blount hurts Bells workload

March 29, 2014 11:48 am

Report: LeGarrette Blount not signed strictly as backup
by Marty Gitlin | CBSSports.com
Running back LeGarrette Blount was not signed by the Steelers merely as a backup to Le'Veon Bell, according to Steelers Depot. His role has yet to be defined, but Pittsburgh did not spend nearly $4 million over two years to sit him on the bench and play him only if Bell is injured.

Blount blossomed as a featured back at the end of the regular season and in the playoffs with New England in 2013.

Bell had close to 300 touches in just 13 games a year ago. The addition of Blount could limit him to fewer carries and make him less of an injury risk.

Share: Twitter Facebook

Last edited by a moderator:

right they could of brought back dwyer or redman, or you or me in the backfield but it wouldnt do much for Bells work load.. bringing in viable backup, is going to actually lighten is workload. There is different types of back up rbs in the league. Ones who will take carries away and ones who are mainly their for some carries but in case the main guy gets hurt.

either way bringing in blount hurts Bells workload

March 29, 2014 11:48 am

Report: LeGarrette Blount not signed strictly as backup
by Marty Gitlin | CBSSports.com
Running back LeGarrette Blount was not signed by the Steelers merely as a backup to Le'Veon Bell, according to Steelers Depot. His role has yet to be defined, but Pittsburgh did not spend nearly $4 million over two years to sit him on the bench and play him only if Bell is injured.

Blount blossomed as a featured back at the end of the regular season and in the playoffs with New England in 2013.

Bell had close to 300 touches in just 13 games a year ago. The addition of Blount could limit him to fewer carries and make him less of an injury risk.

Share: Twitter Facebook
According to Steelers Depot? Just some guys opinion who writes for them is all nothing from coaches.

4 million of two years is back up money.

Donald Brown was signed for 10.5 over 3 years. They have Woodhead and Mathews, did they just sign Brown to be a backup to better backs or is that starter money?

Bell is going to get 280+ rushes and a bunch of catches because he is the best running back on the team, if Blount is so special why is he on his 4th team?

I know where you stand on Blount, and I respect your FF analyses. However, I didn't restrict my data to just 3/4 down. My numbers are also from DD, but they include all 4 downs (with less than 3 yards to go), with regards to SY. The GL data I used (also from DD) includes any carries from in the 5. As I posted earlier, in his 4 year career, he ranks 41st amongst RBs in YPC in short-yardage situations, 42nd in 1st down conversion in short-yardage situations, and 31st in TD rate in GL situations. Those are from his entire 4 year career, you can't get any larger sample size than that.

With regards to his success rate last year, if drawing conclusions from a 24 carry sample is "statistically questionable," the same can be said with regards to drawing conclusions from a 5 carry sample (especially when it flies in the face of a larger sample size).

As far as Blount running over people, I've watched him most of his career. I owned him in several FF leagues during his 1st 2 years in TB, and I followed him last year as I owned Vereen & was vested in the NE RB situation. If you watch the film, most of the people he runs over are after he gets up a head of steam & they are often DBs. He is far less successful against DL and LBs.

Finally, with regard to his vision, I can't show any stats, data, etc, but in watching Blount, he doesn't seem to see openings, lanes, cut-backs, etc. You can draw your own conclusions, and we'll have to agree to disagree, because I know what I perceive in this area.
Well, I don't pay much attention to screen names so I figured I'd just be open about it.

Anyway, 1st and 3 or less is extremely rare. 2nd and 3 or less is hardly considered a short yardage situation. Defenses are forced to play the pass honestly there. The true judge of a SY back is on 3rd/4th down and goal line, of which Blount has an extremely small sample for a guy who has been in the league for 4 years. Looking at his career objectively, his rookie year he tore it up. His second year the entire team collapsed. Can hardly fault the guy for a mediocre 4.2 YPA on that dumpster fire of a team (especially when comparing him to a guy with 3.6 YPA on a good team). His third year he barely played and his coach openly disliked him. His fourth year he did quite well. He also got the most short yardage opportunity of his career and did the best out of all of them (he also posted his second 5.0 YPC of his short career, excluding an insane playoff game 24/166/4 - converted 6 of 9 attempts on downs with less than 3 yards to gain, 2/2 at goal line). Either way, the sample size is small and it is unfair for you to label him a bad power back based solely on a small sample of short yardage attempts. If anything, you should acknowledge the possibility he has improved with coaching, something he lacked his first two years.

I don't think anyone has seen enough out of Bell to say definitively that he's a better runner than a guy with a career 4.7 YPA and who just outshined a fairly well respected runner in Ridley under the same conditions. I think we all agree that Blount won't be stealing his job, but I play a lot of redrafts and I won't be spending a second rounder on Bell. The risk is too high.
Couple of things

1-You point out that 1st and 3 (or less) situations are rare, and I agree, but they do happen at the goal line. Those are most definitely "short yardage" situations.

2-Also, you say that 2nd and 3 (or less) aren't "true" short yardage situations since defenses are forced to play the pass in those situations. You are also correct here, however the fact that defenses are forced to play the pass on 2nd and short should lead to better numbers for RBs who get carries in those situations, not worse. So, it makes no logical sense to discount RB carries on 2nd and short. If anything, a "power RB's" stats would look better, not worse, if you factor in carries on 2nd and short.

3-When you say "especially when comparing him to a guy with 3.6 YPA on a good team," I assume you are talking about Bell, and this is an incredibly inaccurate statement. The Steelers were anything but a good team last year. They backed into an 8-8 record, but they were not a good team. Their O-line, while improving towards the end of the season was in a constant state of flux, and by the end of the season was starting a 3rd-string center.

4-I'm not labeling him a bad power back based on what you call a small sample size, I'm labeling him a bad power back based on both the entirety of his short-yardage carries in his career, and what I've seen with my own eyes.

5-When you say Blount "outshined a fairly well respected runner in Ridley," that is true, but all facts must be taken into account. Blount had a huge game 17 against a team that was completely out of contention and had nothing to play for. Also, Blount had the advantage of getting many of his carries in the 4th quarter against D's that other RBs had "worn down" (although I dislike that phrase) for 3 quarters. 1/3 of Blount's carries came in the 4th quarter last year. He averaged 6.0 YPC on those carries (and scored 5 of his 7 TDs). So, yes, Blount did put up better numbers than Ridley in 2013, but he didn't do it under the exact same conditions, he had fresh legs and got to face defenses that may have been tired, not as quick, "worn down" by other NE RBs, etc.

And I suppose you are right that we haven't seen enough out of Bell to really know how good/bad he is, but I have seen enough out of Blount to know that he is an adequate NFL RB, but is not a RB that the Steelers are going to lean on, or replace Bell with.

What are people expecting out of Archer? Seems like a gadget player on offense who's real value will be in the return game. Not sure I see him as a great threat. I'd expect little out of the backfield action from him and more lined up in the slot or moved around type stuff.
Apparently people forget how well Bell can catch. Archer is a soaking wet 174.
Catching the ball isn't the issue, it's what can they do after they catch it. Archer is literally .3 faster in the 40, why can't he become a Darren Sproles type of threat out of the backfield? I think Bell owners are in denial, signing Blount and drafting Archer means more weapons and less touches on offense. For a player that needs a lot of touches to be productive = not an increase in value
You note Archer's 40 time, but you don't mention the 2 RBs' body types.Sproles is 5'6", 187 lbs.

Archer is 5'8", 173 lbs.

So, Archer is 2 inches taller, and 14 lbs lighter. Sproles is already a small RB, Archer is substantially smaller. Sproles isn't able to get regular carries or inside catches because he will get beat up; most of his touches are outside. This will be even more the case for Archer.

Then look at Sproles' production. He didn't come in as a rookie and put up "Darren Sproles" numbers. No, he put up scat-back numbers. He didn't get 100 offensive touches until his 3rd season, and didn't get more than 150 touches until he went to New Orleans, which you'll have to agree is a MUCH different offensive situation than the one in Pittsburgh.

Bottom line is that if Archer is the only back in the backfield, defenses are going to know it's a pass play. He's not a threat to run the ball, therefore his presence on the field limits what the D will have to defend. If Bell wasn't a good receiver, Pittsburgh might have to accept this fact. Since, however, Bell is a great receiving RB, they are able to keep him on the field, making D's defend both the run AND the pass.

Because of Archer's speed, they will take shots with him on offense, but if he gets 50 offensive touches this year, I'd be very surprised.
I would think Haley runs plays where both Bell & Archer are on the field. Bell lined up in back field with Archer in motion.

What are people expecting out of Archer? Seems like a gadget player on offense who's real value will be in the return game. Not sure I see him as a great threat. I'd expect little out of the backfield action from him and more lined up in the slot or moved around type stuff.
Catching the ball isn't the issue, it's what can they do after they catch it. Archer is literally .3 faster in the 40, why can't he become a Darren Sproles type of threat out of the backfield? I think Bell owners are in denial, signing Blount and drafting Archer means more weapons and less touches on offense. For a player that needs a lot of touches to be productive = not an increase in value
You note Archer's 40 time, but you don't mention the 2 RBs' body types.Sproles is 5'6", 187 lbs.

Archer is 5'8", 173 lbs.

So, Archer is 2 inches taller, and 14 lbs lighter. Sproles is already a small RB, Archer is substantially smaller. Sproles isn't able to get regular carries or inside catches because he will get beat up; most of his touches are outside. This will be even more the case for Archer.

Then look at Sproles' production. He didn't come in as a rookie and put up "Darren Sproles" numbers. No, he put up scat-back numbers. He didn't get 100 offensive touches until his 3rd season, and didn't get more than 150 touches until he went to New Orleans, which you'll have to agree is a MUCH different offensive situation than the one in Pittsburgh.

Bottom line is that if Archer is the only back in the backfield, defenses are going to know it's a pass play. He's not a threat to run the ball, therefore his presence on the field limits what the D will have to defend. If Bell wasn't a good receiver, Pittsburgh might have to accept this fact. Since, however, Bell is a great receiving RB, they are able to keep him on the field, making D's defend both the run AND the pass.

Because of Archer's speed, they will take shots with him on offense, but if he gets 50 offensive touches this year, I'd be very surprised.
I would think Haley runs plays where both Bell & Archer are on the field. Bell lined up in back field with Archer in motion.
The same way he used McCluster, Rainey and Wheaton in the past?

Bell owners will be in denial until the year starts.

Steelers had all sort of cap issues they could of went with a cheaper alternative then Blount at RB.

Back up money but gets almost as much as the starter..

I am not saying Bell is taking a back seat to Blount. But he will see a decreased workload.

And as i mentioned from the start thats good for the Steelers it'll keep Bell fresh longer, but what is good for the team might not be as good for fantasy players

Couple of things

1-You point out that 1st and 3 (or less) situations are rare, and I agree, but they do happen at the goal line. Those are most definitely "short yardage" situations. Ok, I looked it up. He's had 3 in of them in 4 years. Scored 1 TD. So small that I can draw no conclusions here.

2-Also, you say that 2nd and 3 (or less) aren't "true" short yardage situations since defenses are forced to play the pass in those situations. You are also correct here, however the fact that defenses are forced to play the pass on 2nd and short should lead to better numbers for RBs who get carries in those situations, not worse. So, it makes no logical sense to discount RB carries on 2nd and short. If anything, a "power RB's" stats would look better, not worse, if you factor in carries on 2nd and short. Everybody's stats should look better, but putting in a guy who primarily plays on rushing downs does tip your hat more than putting in a 3-down back. So I'd think these situations would benefit 3-down backs more than 2-down backs.

3-When you say "especially when comparing him to a guy with 3.6 YPA on a good team," I assume you are talking about Bell, and this is an incredibly inaccurate statement. The Steelers were anything but a good team last year. They backed into an 8-8 record, but they were not a good team. Their O-line, while improving towards the end of the season was in a constant state of flux, and by the end of the season was starting a 3rd-string center. Luckily Bell played more towards the end of the season than the beginning, so he caught the team at the right time. Pit was still a productive offense while the dumpster fire Bucs in 2011 were not (23.7 pts/gm vs. 17.9).

4-I'm not labeling him a bad power back based on what you call a small sample size, I'm labeling him a bad power back based on both the entirety of his short-yardage carries in his career, and what I've seen with my own eyes. So you are basing it on a small sample size of one aspect of a power back's game AND your eye-ball test. Got it. :oldunsure:

5-When you say Blount "outshined a fairly well respected runner in Ridley," that is true, but all facts must be taken into account. Blount had a huge game 17 against a team that was completely out of contention and had nothing to play for. Also, Blount had the advantage of getting many of his carries in the 4th quarter against D's that other RBs had "worn down" (although I dislike that phrase) for 3 quarters. 1/3 of Blount's carries came in the 4th quarter last year. He averaged 6.0 YPC on those carries (and scored 5 of his 7 TDs). So, yes, Blount did put up better numbers than Ridley in 2013, but he didn't do it under the exact same conditions, he had fresh legs and got to face defenses that may have been tired, not as quick, "worn down" by other NE RBs, etc. Hey, I'm as big of a detractor from week 17 games as anyone, so let's then replace his week 17 game against a team out of contention with his week 19 game against a playoff team in the playoffs. As I've been writing these responses, I have had an inkling that there was a caveat to Blount's rushing stats in 2013, but I just couldn't recall what it was. And you hit it on the head with the 4th quarter stats. That is enough to give some pause. Not write off his season, but it is worth taking into account.

And I suppose you are right that we haven't seen enough out of Bell to really know how good/bad he is, but I have seen enough out of Blount to know that he is an adequate NFL RB, but is not a RB that the Steelers are going to lean on, or replace Bell with. Again, never said they were going to replace Bell. I just worry about his workload and productivity. I don't want to draft a guy in the 2nd round who isn't going to crack 1000 yards rushing. I'd rather have Mathews, Spiller, or Stacy a round later. Hell, I'd rather have those guys straight up. It's crazy to think they can be had later than Bell.

Expect to hear that from Haley's mouth during training camp, like we hear every year from some team, and then of course it never happens.

I will say that it's better to have Archer out there playing WR than DHB. Of course, I doubt he even makes the team.

Archer is 5'8", 173 lbs.

McCluster had 114 carries and 46 catches under Haley in 2011 -- granted that was the year every RB in KC got hurt, and that was the year Crennel took over for the last few games, so it probably doesn't mean too much.

Wheaton is a pure WR and totally irrelevant here.

Rainey was more a pure KR IMO, and a wife beating moron, so he was cut after his rookie year.

I'm not expecting much out of Archer, personally, but the fact that the Steelers invested a 3rd round pick in him tells me they have some role in mind. He's hugely unlikely to have an impact on Bell's carries, but even one catch per game is somewhat significant in PPR.

It's the combined threat of Blount and Archer that gives me pause, personally, given Bell's top 10 RB pricetag. Blount taking an extra 3 carries / game more than Dwyer did last year plus Archer taking one catch / game would probably be enough to keep Bell from living up to his draft position.

`I 'm not expecting much out of Archer, personally, but the fact that the Steelers invested a 3rd round pick in him tells me they have some role in mind. He's hugely unlikely to have an impact on Bell's carries, but even one catch per game is somewhat significant in PPR.
If we are worrying about one catch per game either way, we're really just talking about variance or randomness. I guess we can all downgrade Antonio Brown as well, since Archer could take one catch per game away from him as well.

I see Blount as a small threat to Bell for carries, because yes he is a better backup RB than Jonathan Dwyer - but even that is probably overblown - he's still a backup to a better talent. Every starting back has another RB taking carries away from him - and let's see if Blount looks any better than Bell running behind the same inferior line than what Blount has been used to running behind.

At the risk of repeating myself, I just don't see Archer as taking away targets specifically from Bell, because they are in no way going to be used in the same role - other than in the sense that every target that goes to anyone wearing a Pittsburgh uniform not worn by Bell takes away a target from him. Why aren't we saying "Wow, with Emmanuel Sanders and Jericho Cotchery out of the picture, Bell's targets should be going way up this year?" - because that would also not make much sense, is why.

comparing year 2 of blounts rookie deal and bell is 2 different things.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1978747-breaking-down-steelers-salary-cap-situation-heading-into-free-agency#articles/1978747-breaking-down-steelers-salary-cap-situation-heading-into-free-agency

yup flat out wrong. They had no cap issues coming into the off season.

funny how on the Steelers Thread here its even mentioned about the cap situation.

http://overthecap.com/teamcontract.php?Team=Steelers

just lol..

But these forums are all same shyt different toilet if you have Bell you'll swear Blount wont hurt his value.

I am happy the Steelers brought Blount in, but I'd be moving Bell down my board from a fantasy perspective.

Good luck to you guys.

`I 'm not expecting much out of Archer, personally, but the fact that the Steelers invested a 3rd round pick in him tells me they have some role in mind. He's hugely unlikely to have an impact on Bell's carries, but even one catch per game is somewhat significant in PPR.
If we are worrying about one catch per game either way, we're really just talking about variance or randomness. I guess we can all downgrade Antonio Brown as well, since Archer could take one catch per game away from him as well.

I see Blount as a small threat to Bell for carries, because yes he is a better backup RB than Jonathan Dwyer - but even that is probably overblown - he's still a backup to a better talent. Every starting back has another RB taking carries away from him - and let's see if Blount looks any better than Bell running behind the same inferior line than what Blount has been used to running behind.

At the risk of repeating myself, I just don't see Archer as taking away targets specifically from Bell, because they are in no way going to be used in the same role - other than in the sense that every target that goes to anyone wearing a Pittsburgh uniform not worn by Bell takes away a target from him. Why aren't we saying "Wow, with Emmanuel Sanders and Jericho Cotchery out of the picture, Bell's targets should be going way up this year?" - because that would also not make much sense, is why.
We disagree here. Given the level of investment in Archer, I definitely see him playing some snaps as a passing down RB moving forward -- and those are snaps that would have gone to Bell.

Incidentally, I'd take the same position on any non-elite type RB whose team added significant upgrades at RB. I want no part of Stacy or Ivory, and downgraded Gio after this offseason. If the Packers had spent a 2nd or 3rd on a RB, I wouldn't be pulling the trigger on Lacy in the 1st either. I'd rather spend my premium picks on other positions and mine value at RB in the middle rounds. Either way, good discussion.

We disagree here. Given the level of investment in Archer, I definitely see him playing some snaps as a passing down RB moving forward -- and those are snaps that would have gone to Bell.

Incidentally, I'd take the same position on any non-elite type RB whose team added significant upgrades at RB. I want no part of Stacy or Ivory, and downgraded Gio after this offseason. If the Packers had spent a 2nd or 3rd on a RB, I wouldn't be pulling the trigger on Lacy in the 1st either. I'd rather spend my premium picks on other positions and mine value at RB in the middle rounds. Either way, good discussion.
It's certainly possible - teams spend "high" picks for all different reasons. They are playing real football out there (I know you know this), so Archer could have been their target for special teams play and to be an OW (a relatively new term for these gadget players) and even if he's not a huge contributor to the offensive gameplan, they can still be happy with their investment if he contributes a few big kickoff returns or a handful of big plays on offense over the course of the season.

I understand the point. I realize Bell was a "volume" player in fantasy. I think his per touch metrics go up this season though, and losing a few touches will be offset by that.

I also agree that he's not a first round fantasy pick though.

Couple of things

1-You point out that 1st and 3 (or less) situations are rare, and I agree, but they do happen at the goal line. Those are most definitely "short yardage" situations. Ok, I looked it up. He's had 3 in of them in 4 years. Scored 1 TD. So small that I can draw no conclusions here.

Yes, 3 carries is too few to draw conclusions, but when you include them into the entire sum of all his short-yardage carries, they help to show how effective/ineffective he is as a short-yardage runner.

2-Also, you say that 2nd and 3 (or less) aren't "true" short yardage situations since defenses are forced to play the pass in those situations. You are also correct here, however the fact that defenses are forced to play the pass on 2nd and short should lead to better numbers for RBs who get carries in those situations, not worse. So, it makes no logical sense to discount RB carries on 2nd and short. If anything, a "power RB's" stats would look better, not worse, if you factor in carries on 2nd and short. Everybody's stats should look better, but putting in a guy who primarily plays on rushing downs does tip your hat more than putting in a 3-down back. So I'd think these situations would benefit 3-down backs more than 2-down backs.

But, even if you want to make that point, it still returns us to a "typical" short-yardage situation, where the defense is expecting a run, and the "power RB" is expected to use his power to get the yards. As such, these situations should be included in an evaluation of Blount as a short-yardage runner.

3-When you say "especially when comparing him to a guy with 3.6 YPA on a good team," I assume you are talking about Bell, and this is an incredibly inaccurate statement. The Steelers were anything but a good team last year. They backed into an 8-8 record, but they were not a good team. Their O-line, while improving towards the end of the season was in a constant state of flux, and by the end of the season was starting a 3rd-string center. Luckily Bell played more towards the end of the season than the beginning, so he caught the team at the right time. Pit was still a productive offense while the dumpster fire Bucs in 2011 were not (23.7 pts/gm vs. 17.9).

Bell started playing in week 4, it's not like he came back in week 11. He had to deal with the less than stellar performance of the Steeler's offense/O-line when they were at their worst. Furthermore, the Steeler's offense put up 54 more yards on 46 more plays in 2013 than the Bucs did in 2011. The Bucs had a harder time getting the ball into the end-zone, but with regards to yards and plays, the two offense weren't all that different.

4-I'm not labeling him a bad power back based on what you call a small sample size, I'm labeling him a bad power back based on both the entirety of his short-yardage carries in his career, and what I've seen with my own eyes. So you are basing it on a small sample size of one aspect of a power back's game AND your eye-ball test. Got it. :oldunsure:

Save the sarcasm and rolly-eyes; I'm not using a small sample size, I'm using EVERY short-yardage play of his career, the sample size can't get any bigger, because it's every single play. Furthermore, if you have access to stats that show his success between the tackles vs on the edge, and his success within 2-3 yards of the LOS (against DL and LBs) vs in the defensive backfield (against DBs), I'd be happy to discuss that. Otherwise, the stats that are available, and what I've seen with my own eyes are all I've got, just as the stats that are available, and what you've see with your eyes are all you've got.

5-When you say Blount "outshined a fairly well respected runner in Ridley," that is true, but all facts must be taken into account. Blount had a huge game 17 against a team that was completely out of contention and had nothing to play for. Also, Blount had the advantage of getting many of his carries in the 4th quarter against D's that other RBs had "worn down" (although I dislike that phrase) for 3 quarters. 1/3 of Blount's carries came in the 4th quarter last year. He averaged 6.0 YPC on those carries (and scored 5 of his 7 TDs). So, yes, Blount did put up better numbers than Ridley in 2013, but he didn't do it under the exact same conditions, he had fresh legs and got to face defenses that may have been tired, not as quick, "worn down" by other NE RBs, etc. Hey, I'm as big of a detractor from week 17 games as anyone, so let's then replace his week 17 game against a team out of contention with his week 19 game against a playoff team in the playoffs. As I've been writing these responses, I have had an inkling that there was a caveat to Blount's rushing stats in 2013, but I just couldn't recall what it was. And you hit it on the head with the 4th quarter stats. That is enough to give some pause. Not write off his season, but it is worth taking into account.

I'm not writing off his season, and I said that you are correct, Blount had a better season than Ridley. I was just adding some context to the situation.

And I suppose you are right that we haven't seen enough out of Bell to really know how good/bad he is, but I have seen enough out of Blount to know that he is an adequate NFL RB, but is not a RB that the Steelers are going to lean on, or replace Bell with. Again, never said they were going to replace Bell. I just worry about his workload and productivity. I don't want to draft a guy in the 2nd round who isn't going to crack 1000 yards rushing. I'd rather have Mathews, Spiller, or Stacy a round later. Hell, I'd rather have those guys straight up. It's crazy to think they can be had later than Bell.

I've already posted some conservative, early projections for Bell. If he hits those numbers, which I don't think is a stretch, he'll have no trouble giving value for a 2nd round pick.

Is it possible that the youngest back in the NFL last season, who missed most of camp and the first three NFL games - and showed improvement as the season went on - gets a little better in his second season and improves his per touch metrics?

Also, once again the drafting of Archer doesn't really have much to do with Bell at all - no one expects Bell to get every touch or every target - the team also lost Emannuel Sanders and Jerricho Cotchery, their second and third WRs last season so there's additional targets available. I don't think Archer is going to be much more than a Chris Rainey type player, and even if he becomes Sproles, his targets do not necessarily need to come at Bell's expense, since their roles will be very different. Pierre Thomas still saw plenty of targets in NO, even though Sproles was there.
Is it possible he gets better? Sure it is, anything is possible.

However I'm of the contention that Bell is only a value in FF based on volume and situation last year. Bell averaged 3.5 ypc and yet people are trying to justify it. I remember the same arguments with trich's 3.6 ypc his rookie year...it's his ribs etc.

If Pittsburgh thought Bell was a franchise, why did they sign blount? They have salary cap issues and more important holes on their team then backup rb.

If Pittsburgh thought bell was a franchise rb and signed blount to only be a backup, why draft a rb/weapon in round 3? They surely didn't draft him as a sole returner based on the newer kickoff rules or solely as a slot player because they signed Lance Moore to fill that role. They also signed dhb and drafted Bryant, so I doubt Archer gets time as an x or z.

Last season Pittsburgh was lacking weapons. Bell had 68% of all rb rushing attempts, while missing 3 games. That's an absurd amount that won't be repeated. Plus blount>>>>Dwyer, redman, Felix, etc.

Bell had 66% of all rb receptions. Archer is >>>>>Dwyer, Felix, Stephens howling, redman in catching the football.

At the very least blount and archer will cut into bells touches more than last season. Which will hurt bells FF value because he's a volume player ( anti spiller/Charles). Now if you think he will improve from 3.5 ypc to 4.5 ypc, that's a different argument. But Pittsburgh has surrounded itself with more rb talent in 2014 to take some of the load off of bell. Bell is looking at being a rb2 this season.

Blount adds value as a kick returner if they use him as such. 17 for 494 yards.

Maybe they will use him or Archer to replace / spell Wheaton since he's expected to play WR more this year.

However I'm of the contention that Bell is only a value in FF based on volume and situation last year.

I've already posted that Bell could put up low RB1/high RB2 numbers with less carries, without a lot of improvement (he would need to get to 4.0, when he was averaged 3.9 over the last part of 2013). It's on the previous page (I think)

If Pittsburgh thought Bell was a franchise, why did they sign blount? They have salary cap issues and more important holes on their team then backup rb.

Because they needed a backup RB? If you've paid attention to the Steelers over the last few years, they haven't always made the smartest personnel choices, so yeah, it might have made sense to spend less money, but the fact is that Blount isn't getting a huge contract. To have a RB who can be a solid back-up and fill in if/when your main RB gets hurt, they aren't really over-spending that much.

If Pittsburgh thought bell was a franchise rb and signed blount to only be a backup, why draft a rb/weapon in round 3? They surely didn't draft him as a sole returner based on the newer kickoff rules or solely as a slot player because they signed Lance Moore to fill that role. They also signed dhb and drafted Bryant, so I doubt Archer gets time as an x or z.

Again, they haven't made great personnel choices, including the draft the last few years.

Last season Pittsburgh was lacking weapons. Bell had 68% of all rb rushing attempts, while missing 3 games. That's an absurd amount that won't be repeated. Plus blount>>>>Dwyer, redman, Felix, etc.

Bell had 66% of all rb receptions. Archer is >>>>>Dwyer, Felix, Stephens howling, redman in catching the football.

Agreed, which is why they signed/drafted them, even if it was too early/too much. IMO, Blount will likely get somewhere between 100-150 carries (barring injury), and Archer might get 20-25 catches (although I doubt it). Bell will still get plenty of work.

As a Bell owner am I not worried at all. Blount wasnt anything special last year, he was just better than Ridley, doesnt mean he is some threat to Bell. Archer is too small to be a threat to anyone.
You're wildly under-rating Blount. He's a good, if one dimensional, power RB. He's probably not a threat to steal Bell's job outright, I agree. But he doesn't have to be to seriously dent Bell's value. Again, even a 10% reduction in volume would have been enough (PPG) to bounce Bell out of RB1 territory last year. Blount is waaaaaay better than Jonathan Dwyer by any measure.
Actually, you're over-rating him. Blount is a below average power RB. In his 4 years in the league, he ranks 41st amongst RBs in YPC in short-yardage situations (3 or less yards to go). He ranks 42nd in 1st down conversion in short-yardage situations, and he ranks 31st in TD rate in GL situations. He runs too upright, he dances too much, and he doesn't hit the hole hard in those types of situations. He has good speed for a bigger RB, but that doesn't help in short-yardage situations. He can truck DBs, but again, that's not very important in SY/GL situations. He could/should be a good short-yardage RB, because of his size & build, but he isn't.
I agree that he hasn't been good in short yardage. I was speaking to his overall ability -- and he's massively under rated. The guy is a good runner.
The game film and stats say otherwise.He is a big RB who doesn't run big.

IF he gets to the defensive secondary, he is a load to bring down, but he doesn't run like a power back (which was your contention). Power backs are generally successful in SY situations (hence the term, "power" back), Blount isn't.

His vision isn't as good as Bell's, he isn't as good a SY runner as Bell is, he isn't as good of a receiver as Bell is. What he is is, is a substantial improvement over their back-up RBs from last year.
Yeah, we're not going to agree here. Blount is a good player. He's at 4.7 YPC for his career, including two years at 5.0. He has a 1000 yard rushing season under his belt. I personally put more weight on the larger sample size provided by looking at his entire career portfolio vs. just pulling out a few short yardage carries. I agree that he danced too much early on in Tampa; I didn't see much of that at all last year. IMO Blount is solidly in the tier of guys on the starter / strong backup borderline -- he's clearly not a scrub that might / might not hold on to his roster spot like the guys behind Bell last year.I'm also a Steelers' homer who has seen every touch of Bell's career. I know what he is. And what he isn't. Bell is certainly better than the picture painted by just looking at his YPC last year -- but he's certainly not in the elite tier of NFL RBs for whom added competition just doesn't matter. I do expect his efficiency to improve this year, but also think that his volume will take a hit with the new additions.

The bottom line is value -- and I definitely don't see it being in Bell's favor. There is a sizable contingent of folks who seem to be taking Bell's stats from last year, boosting his efficiency, and multiplying by 16 games = stud RB1. I don't see it as likely at all. He was pacing for over 350 touches last year; I don't think he come close to that total in 2014. 300 is about where I'd set the ceiling, which makes him more of a strong RB2. I'll happily let others draft him in the late 1st / early 2nd this fall.
We likely aren't going to agree, but (in part) that is because you are changing your "argument." I never said Blount isn't a good player, but your OP (that I responded to) said he was a good "power RB." Power RBs are RBs who are good in SY situations. That is the nature of that designation. You don't expect a "power RB" to make multiple defenders miss with jump-cuts, spin moves, and hurdles, you expect them to get the yards when there are 9, 10, 11 men in the box, and they have to run through those men. Blount, based on watching him, and his stats (from his ENTIRE career) is not a good power RB.

You say he is a borderline starter/solid back-up; I said he is a substantial improvement over their back-up RBs from last year. I don't think we are that far off with regard to that point, but if you insist on contending that Blount is a good (or even adequate) power RB, we will have to disagree.

I'm not a Pittsburgh homer, but I do live in the area, and I watched pretty much every play of Bell's pro career, as well. He improved substantially over the latter part of last season, which I attribute to getting more familiar with the NFL game, the offense, play-calling, etc. I expect him to improve again this year (a more stable/improved O-line would help, as well).

While the people who are "taking Bell's stats from last year, boosting his efficiency, and multiplying by 16 games = stud RB1;" are making a mistake, you saying "I don't see more than 300 touches" without actually looking at how those touches will add up is also a mistake.

I already posted some rough projections earlier; I'll put a little more thought (and reasoning) behind them here. Keep in mind these will be very early, and very conservative (for the purposes of this discussion)

I expect the Steelers to run about 950 offensive plays next year.

I also expect them to slightly bump their rush totals to 41% (390 rushes).

Bell got 79% of the carries once he hit the field last year; I'm going to drop that % to 65% (254 carries).

Bell averaged 3.1 YPC over his 1st 7 games, and 3.9 YPC over his last 6. I'm going to give him a SLIGHT increase (being conservative, for the sake of this discussion) to an even 4.0 YPC (254 X 4.0 = 1016 yards).

Bell received 66 targets in 13 games (5 targets/game) last year, and caught 68% of those targets. That accounted for 72% of the RB targets during those 13 games.

Haley gives his RBs between 100-115 targets (with the exception of 2011 when Charles was hurt, and he was fired during the season), so I'm going to project 110 targets for Pitt RBs in 2014.

Blount isn't much of a receiving threat, so I'm comfortable giving Bell 75 targets for 2014 (4.7/game). That's a drop in his RB target rate (68%).

I'll also drop his catch rate to 62% (47 catches).

I'll also drop his YPR from 8.9 YPR to 8.0 (376 rec yards).

Since Bell is a more effective SY back than Blount, and should get a score or 2 via the air (although he didn't do so in 2013), I'll project him for 9 TDs. This is essentially the same amount of rushing TDs as he got last year (in comparable carries), plus projecting one through the air.

So, almost 1400 YFS (1392), and 9 TDs or 196 FF points (non-PPR). That would have made him RB10 last year.

I projected him for a very slight increase over his YPC at the end of last year, I projected him for a smaller % of the carries, a smaller number of targets/game, a lower YPR, a lower target rate, a lower catch rate, and a slightly lower TD/carry rate (although I did give him a receiving TD). I left 35% of the carries for the other RBs (110-125 for Blount, 12-27 for Archer/Johnson/"other" RBs), and 32% of the RB targets for other RBs.

So without merely extrapolating his numbers to a full 16 game schedule, or projecting massive improvements, or failing to account for the other RBs, I have a conservative projection for Bell of RB10. That's more than a strong RB2. Furthermore, I expect him to do better than this in several areas; I deliberately lowered my projections to demonstrate that even with Blount and Archer, Bell should still be considered a solid FF RB1 for 2014.
I'll bump this one then.

I'm projecting 380 carries for rbs(uptick of 29 from 2013).

Bell isn't going to get nearly the same percentage as last year due to talent around him.

Bell 225

Blount 125

Archer 30

That's 59% Bell and much more balanced.

45 receptions was high, I agree blount isn't great at catching, but he's not stone hands either ( he's a returner).

Receptions

Bell 30

Blount 10

Archer 20

If Bell lost 1 TD(34 less touches) and maintained his ypc he would be at 177.5 in ppr. For bell to achieve his FF points from last year, he would need to increase his ypc by .6 to 4.1. That's a big jump.

"Level of investment" and 3rd round pick aren't exactly scary together. Teams spend 3rd round picks on depth and special teamers all the time.

LaMichael James was a 2nd round pick and did nothing but return punts. You mentioned that you would be scared off of Lacy if the Packers had drafted a RB around that spot, yet they drafted one in the 4th round just last year.

Teams have seen how much of a difference an electric special teamer can make. A big play can completely turn around a game, and the threat of a big play can give you never ending field position advantages that you'd otherwise miss out on. That's worth a 3rd round pick. Archer is more than likely a toy to be used in this manner and as a slot guy at times, maybe a few gadget plays out of the backfield.

Blount is more of a threat, though a legitimate backup can be an important part of a team, especially in the minds of the Steelers who just spent several years having to trot Isaac Redman out there repeatedly because they didn't have one. Sure, he'll take more carries than Dwyer would have when Bell is healthy. But if Bell's numbers are more in line with what he did at the end of the year and not what he did in his first couple of games coming off an injury after missing his entire inaugural NFL offseason then he probably won't need those extra carries.

In a vacuum, of course you'd rather Pittsburgh have re-signed Isaac Redman than brought in Blount and Archer. Of course they will affect his value to an extent. The length of that extent is being way overblown in my opinion, though.

I'll bump this one then.I'm projecting 380 carries for rbs(uptick of 29 from 2013).

Bell isn't going to get nearly the same percentage as last year due to talent around him.

Bell 225

Blount 125

Archer 30

45 receptions was high, I agree blount isn't great at catching, but he's not stone hands either ( he's a returner).

Receptions

Bell 30

Blount 10

Archer 20

If Bell lost 1 TD(34 less touches) and maintained his ypc he would be at 177.5 in ppr. For bell to achieve his FF points from last year, he would need to increase his ypc by .6 to 4.1. That's a big jump.
1-They are probably going to have more than 380 rushes. They want to run the ball more, and they don't have the receiving threats that they did a few years ago (or even last year).

2-Blount is not (barring injury) going to get 33% of the carries, especially when putting him in the game makes Pittsburgh very 1-dimensional. The split is much more likely to be around 65/25-30/5-10 (other RBs).

3-Pittsburgh has thrown 74 & 78 passes to RBs while Haley has been OC, now you're projecting them to have only 60? That makes no sense.

4-Bell doesn't have to improve from 3.5 to 4.1, he has to improve from 3.9. Essentially, the first month or so of last season was Bell's offseason, pre-season, and TC.

You obviously don't think Bell should be ranked/drafted as high as he is/probably will be. That's fine; there will be other RB options available in the early 2nd round.

As a Bell owner am I not worried at all. Blount wasnt anything special last year, he was just better than Ridley, doesnt mean he is some threat to Bell. Archer is too small to be a threat to anyone.
You're wildly under-rating Blount. He's a good, if one dimensional, power RB. He's probably not a threat to steal Bell's job outright, I agree. But he doesn't have to be to seriously dent Bell's value. Again, even a 10% reduction in volume would have been enough (PPG) to bounce Bell out of RB1 territory last year. Blount is waaaaaay better than Jonathan Dwyer by any measure.
Actually, you're over-rating him. Blount is a below average power RB. In his 4 years in the league, he ranks 41st amongst RBs in YPC in short-yardage situations (3 or less yards to go). He ranks 42nd in 1st down conversion in short-yardage situations, and he ranks 31st in TD rate in GL situations. He runs too upright, he dances too much, and he doesn't hit the hole hard in those types of situations. He has good speed for a bigger RB, but that doesn't help in short-yardage situations. He can truck DBs, but again, that's not very important in SY/GL situations. He could/should be a good short-yardage RB, because of his size & build, but he isn't.
I agree that he hasn't been good in short yardage. I was speaking to his overall ability -- and he's massively under rated. The guy is a good runner.

IF he gets to the defensive secondary, he is a load to bring down, but he doesn't run like a power back (which was your contention). Power backs are generally successful in SY situations (hence the term, "power" back), Blount isn't.

His vision isn't as good as Bell's, he isn't as good a SY runner as Bell is, he isn't as good of a receiver as Bell is. What he is is, is a substantial improvement over their back-up RBs from last year.
Yeah, we're not going to agree here. Blount is a good player. He's at 4.7 YPC for his career, including two years at 5.0. He has a 1000 yard rushing season under his belt. I personally put more weight on the larger sample size provided by looking at his entire career portfolio vs. just pulling out a few short yardage carries. I agree that he danced too much early on in Tampa; I didn't see much of that at all last year. IMO Blount is solidly in the tier of guys on the starter / strong backup borderline -- he's clearly not a scrub that might / might not hold on to his roster spot like the guys behind Bell last year.I'm also a Steelers' homer who has seen every touch of Bell's career. I know what he is. And what he isn't. Bell is certainly better than the picture painted by just looking at his YPC last year -- but he's certainly not in the elite tier of NFL RBs for whom added competition just doesn't matter. I do expect his efficiency to improve this year, but also think that his volume will take a hit with the new additions.

The bottom line is value -- and I definitely don't see it being in Bell's favor. There is a sizable contingent of folks who seem to be taking Bell's stats from last year, boosting his efficiency, and multiplying by 16 games = stud RB1. I don't see it as likely at all. He was pacing for over 350 touches last year; I don't think he come close to that total in 2014. 300 is about where I'd set the ceiling, which makes him more of a strong RB2. I'll happily let others draft him in the late 1st / early 2nd this fall.
We likely aren't going to agree, but (in part) that is because you are changing your "argument." I never said Blount isn't a good player, but your OP (that I responded to) said he was a good "power RB." Power RBs are RBs who are good in SY situations. That is the nature of that designation. You don't expect a "power RB" to make multiple defenders miss with jump-cuts, spin moves, and hurdles, you expect them to get the yards when there are 9, 10, 11 men in the box, and they have to run through those men. Blount, based on watching him, and his stats (from his ENTIRE career) is not a good power RB.

You say he is a borderline starter/solid back-up; I said he is a substantial improvement over their back-up RBs from last year. I don't think we are that far off with regard to that point, but if you insist on contending that Blount is a good (or even adequate) power RB, we will have to disagree.

I'm not a Pittsburgh homer, but I do live in the area, and I watched pretty much every play of Bell's pro career, as well. He improved substantially over the latter part of last season, which I attribute to getting more familiar with the NFL game, the offense, play-calling, etc. I expect him to improve again this year (a more stable/improved O-line would help, as well).

While the people who are "taking Bell's stats from last year, boosting his efficiency, and multiplying by 16 games = stud RB1;" are making a mistake, you saying "I don't see more than 300 touches" without actually looking at how those touches will add up is also a mistake.

I already posted some rough projections earlier; I'll put a little more thought (and reasoning) behind them here. Keep in mind these will be very early, and very conservative (for the purposes of this discussion)

Bell got 79% of the carries once he hit the field last year; I'm going to drop that % to 65% (254 carries).

Bell averaged 3.1 YPC over his 1st 7 games, and 3.9 YPC over his last 6. I'm going to give him a SLIGHT increase (being conservative, for the sake of this discussion) to an even 4.0 YPC (254 X 4.0 = 1016 yards).

Bell received 66 targets in 13 games (5 targets/game) last year, and caught 68% of those targets. That accounted for 72% of the RB targets during those 13 games.

Haley gives his RBs between 100-115 targets (with the exception of 2011 when Charles was hurt, and he was fired during the season), so I'm going to project 110 targets for Pitt RBs in 2014.

Blount isn't much of a receiving threat, so I'm comfortable giving Bell 75 targets for 2014 (4.7/game). That's a drop in his RB target rate (68%).

Since Bell is a more effective SY back than Blount, and should get a score or 2 via the air (although he didn't do so in 2013), I'll project him for 9 TDs. This is essentially the same amount of rushing TDs as he got last year (in comparable carries), plus projecting one through the air.

So, almost 1400 YFS (1392), and 9 TDs or 196 FF points (non-PPR). That would have made him RB10 last year.

I projected him for a very slight increase over his YPC at the end of last year, I projected him for a smaller % of the carries, a smaller number of targets/game, a lower YPR, a lower target rate, a lower catch rate, and a slightly lower TD/carry rate (although I did give him a receiving TD). I left 35% of the carries for the other RBs (110-125 for Blount, 12-27 for Archer/Johnson/"other" RBs), and 32% of the RB targets for other RBs.

So without merely extrapolating his numbers to a full 16 game schedule, or projecting massive improvements, or failing to account for the other RBs, I have a conservative projection for Bell of RB10. That's more than a strong RB2. Furthermore, I expect him to do better than this in several areas; I deliberately lowered my projections to demonstrate that even with Blount and Archer, Bell should still be considered a solid FF RB1 for 2014.
I'll bump this one then.

I'm projecting 380 carries for rbs(uptick of 29 from 2013).

Bell 225

Blount 125

Archer 30

Receptions

Bell 30

Blount 10

Archer 20

Blount has talent? He is just a guy. Nothing more. A guy who is on his 4th team or a guy the Steelers invested a lot in by drafting him in the 2nd round? One is younger and better.

Bell was a rookie last year and didn't Pittsburgh have one of the worst OLines in football? So after his learning season they are gonna hold him back?

Pretty basic football IQ here. Pittsburgh had no one to back up Bell, they paid 2 million a year to have a guy with experience to get the Dwyer and Redman carries for that role. Those combined may go to Blount and Archer is of no threat to get one here and there. This and they are still thin at RB.

Blount will get carries as a lot of teams give out carries, they gave some carries to Brown in Philly and Polk too. They gave carries to Davis in KC. They give carries to two runners who were Top 15 last year in PPR in Detroit, one of them was Top 10. Bell will be just fine, there is arguably no one with better hands then him at the RB position.

Sometimes drafting a player early isn't about hitting a home run, its about safe production. I better see all of you people saying Blount is a threat to Bell in the McCoy thread talking about how Sproles is a threat to McCoy equally or else you look like your just trying to pump up Blount unjustifiably.

Not really complicated unless you have some sort of motivation to think the opposite. Like having Blount on your fantasy team and the guy you trying to trade him to comes here and reads this, that's the only reason I could think someone believes a journeyman is a threat to a second round back with unlimited potential, NFL wise not fantasy wise even.

I'll bump this one then.I'm projecting 380 carries for rbs(uptick of 29 from 2013).

Bell 225

Blount 125

Archer 30

Receptions

Bell 30

Blount 10

Archer 20

Blount has talent? He is just a guy. Nothing more. A guy who is on his 4th team or a guy the Steelers invested a lot in by drafting him in the 2nd round? One is younger and better.

Bell was a rookie last year and didn't Pittsburgh have one of the worst OLines in football? So after his learning season they are gonna hold him back?

Pretty basic football IQ here. Pittsburgh had no one to back up Bell, they paid 2 million a year to have a guy with experience to get the Dwyer and Redman carries for that role. Those combined may go to Blount and Archer is of no threat to get one here and there. This and they are still thin at RB.

Blount will get carries as a lot of teams give out carries, they gave some carries to Brown in Philly and Polk too. They gave carries to Davis in KC. They give carries to two runners who were Top 15 last year in PPR in Detroit, one of them was Top 10. Bell will be just fine, there is arguably no one with better hands then him at the RB position.

Sometimes drafting a player early isn't about hitting a home run, its about safe production. I better see all of you people saying Blount is a threat to Bell in the McCoy thread talking about how Sproles is a threat to McCoy equally or else you look like your just trying to pump up Blount unjustifiably.

Not really complicated unless you have some sort of motivation to think the opposite. Like having Blount on your fantasy team and the guy you trying to trade him to comes here and reads this, that's the only reason I could think someone believes a journeyman is a threat to a second round back with unlimited potential, NFL wise not fantasy wise even.
How is Blount any different from, say, Chris Ivory? Other than being able to actually stay healthy that is.

You're slamming Blount and gushing over Bell, yet somehow Blount is more than a full yard better in career YPC. No, Blount isn't better than Bell -- but the talent gap as far as running between them isn't even remotely close to as big as you're making it out to be.

As far as Bell having "unlimited potential" and "the best hands of any RB" that's just wild hyperbole. He's just not that good. He's a solid all around RB, but nowhere near elite. As a Steelers' fan, I really wish he was, but he's just not. Sorry.

Bell 225

Blount 125

Archer 30

Receptions

Bell 30

Blount 10

Archer 20

How is Blount any different from, say, Chris Ivory? Other than being able to actually stay healthy that is.

You're slamming Blount and gushing over Bell, yet somehow Blount is more than a full yard better in career YPC. No, Blount isn't better than Bell -- but the talent gap as far as running between them isn't even remotely close to as big as you're making it out to be.

As far as Bell having "unlimited potential" and "the best hands of any RB" that's just wild hyperbole. He's just not that good. He's a solid all around RB, but nowhere near elite. As a Steelers' fan, I really wish he was, but he's just not. Sorry.
Good posting.. It comes down to if you own Bell currently or dont. I am not saying dont draft Bell just be careful of taking him early.

Also as Steeler fans as long as the ground game is producing we wont care if its Bell 1200 . Blount 800, Bell 500 Blount 1000 etc.

less of a workload for Bell will be in order this year.. it'll save him for the long haul, and over the course of the season..

What is good for the team isnt always what FFowners want to hear

Bell 225

Blount 125

Archer 30

Receptions

Bell 30

Blount 10

Archer 20

As a person who is not a Steelers fan, Bell is that good, he just is. Sorry. Bell played one season and Blount has played four, so compare more career stats. Seems to make sense since Bell was just a rookie last year.

I'm gushing over Bell because he is good, I'm hating on Blount because he is not. Seems simple enough.

Blount has talent? He is just a guy. Nothing more. A guy who is on his 4th team or a guy the Steelers invested a lot in by drafting him in the 2nd round? One is younger and better. Bell was a rookie last year and didn't Pittsburgh have one of the worst OLines in football? So after his learning season they are gonna hold him back?

Good posting.. It comes down to if you own Bell currently or dont. I am not saying dont draft Bell just be careful of taking him early.

Also as Steeler fans as long as the ground game is producing we wont care if its Bell 1200 . Blount 800, Bell 500 Blount 1000 etc.

less of a workload for Bell will be in order this year.. it'll save him for the long haul, and over the course of the season..

You will think any post that agrees with you is a good posting. Regardless of how wrong they are in the process. Quite simple, people who own Blount love him, maybe that's why there are so few of you.

:lmao:

So is Bell even better than Chris Ivory was last year? No one has any huge resources tied up in LeGarrette Blount to be defensive about, guy. Certainly no one "loves" him. The argument isn't that Blount is anything spectacular -- it's that Bell isn't. And besides your own personal "watch the guy play" eyeball test (and after your laughable position on Ivory last year, no thanks on trusting that), there's really not much evidence to support your position; nothing objective at all supports Bell being elite. This is just more baseless unsupported hype.

Phenix said:
ebsteelers said:
Coeur de Lion said:
Phenix said:
Blount has talent? He is just a guy. Nothing more. A guy who is on his 4th team or a guy the Steelers invested a lot in by drafting him in the 2nd round? One is younger and better. Bell was a rookie last year and didn't Pittsburgh have one of the worst OLines in football? So after his learning season they are gonna hold him back?

You will think any post that agrees with you is a good posting. Regardless of how wrong they are in the process. Quite simple, people who own Blount love him, maybe that's why there are so few of you.
right cause you know how I post. I applaud when people bring something to the table.. Stats are nice. Facts are nice..

I've already said I like Bell, but bringing Blount in will take touches away from him.

Why is everyone acting like Bell averaged over 4 yards a carry last year

If he averages 23.8 touches a game. it puts him well over 350 touches.. Not exactly ideal or what the Steelers would want. Especially considering hes already been banged up in his early career.

Le’Veon Bell 0 0 0 21 0 19 20 20 26 25 23 28 25 24 29 29 21 23.8

I dont own Blount, I dont own Bell. I am a Steelers fan though .

I hope Bell rushes for 1800 yards that'd be great Hope Blount can bring even more yards to keep the d fresh.

The better the running game will be the better the team will be and frankly if i dont own Bell or Blount thats all I care about.

Whatever people will have their opinions either way. so no point in beating a dead horse with some of you.

Good luck if you have Bell or will be acquiring him this year. Same with Blount

Coeur de Lion said:

So is Bell even better than Chris Ivory was last year? No one has any huge resources tied up in LeGarrette Blount to be defensive about, guy. Certainly no one "loves" him. The argument isn't that Blount is anything spectacular -- it's that Bell isn't. And besides your own personal "watch the guy play" eyeball test (and after your laughable position on Ivory last year, no thanks on trusting that), there's really not much evidence to support your position; nothing objective at all supports Bell being elite. This is just more baseless unsupported hype.
Everyone says your wrong, but doesnt bring anything to back in up.

3.5 yards a carry for Bell last year and you would of thought he rushed for 5 or 6

he averaged a little over 4 yards a touch (catches/carries)

289 touches in 12 games, puts him over 350 touches in 16 if he can stay healthy long enough.

Heres to Bell becoming a stud this year!! :thumbup:

Coeur de Lion said:

Everyone says your wrong, but doesnt bring anything to back in up.

3.5 yards a carry for Bell last year and you would of thought he rushed for 5 or 6

he averaged a little over 4 yards a touch (catches/carries)

289 touches in 12 games, puts him over 350 touches in 16 if he can stay healthy long enough.

Heres to Bell becoming a stud this year!! :thumbup:
You can't take touches from last season, then multiply it out for 16 games and 350 touches. CONTEXT is everything. That's like saying Brian Hoyer is going to pass for 3200 yards and 27 touchdowns based on his 3 games as a starter for last season and ignoring they drafted Johnny Football!!!

Last season the Steelers had crap for backup RBs(that's why they went through so many), so they force-fed Bell the football. He had 79% of the carries in games he played and had 45 receptions. With much better backups he won't see nearly the amount of touches. If Bell has 79% of the carries in 2014, i'll quit these forums.

Coeur de Lion said:

:violin:

Just as baseless as your hate. YPC is what your going off of, you know that is a big number based off Oline play right? Understanding how bad the Pittsburgh OLine is quite important, also when people have knowledge and eyes, they can use the eyeball test.

But since stats are all that matters to you how did Ivory do when he got more than 15 carries a game? What was his yards per game? Its OK, use your eyes to look it up. (I'll do it for you, 105.2 yards per game in those 5 games) A stat that shows the Jets were a bad team and couldnt run the ball a lot and it has nothing to do with the talent of a player, because given the volume they can perform unless they have a bad OLIne. Just like the Pittsburgh line was bad, those things can effect players regardless the number of carries. Not to mention Ivory never recovered from his Hammy it seems. Enough about Ivory.

As far as the no one has huge resources tied up in Blount, can you be so sure, you know everyone's roster of those supporting Blount? Seems like unsupported hype for Blount. If Blount was so much better than Ridley, why did the Patriots not resign him and keep Ridley? Or why did the Buccs trade him for a late round pick? or why did Tennessee cut him? Or why did a team not give him 3yrs/10.5 million? Because Blount is just not good, he is just a guy, regardless of what you say about Bell. Bell is good, I dont need to try to convince anyone of that, you dont wanna believe it, thats your fault. I think its funny how angry you get because someone likes Bell for being better than Blount and thinking Blount will have little impact.

Exactly. It's hysterical that people would discount Bell based on Archer.

Steelers GM Kevin Colbert compared third-round pick Dri Archer's potential NFL impact to ex-Lions return specialist Mel Gray.
It's a reminder that the Steelers see Archer as more of a return specialist than offensive impact player, though he may be involved in some packages. Gray was a 5-foot-9, 167-pound kick and punt returner who earned three first-team All-Pro berths. He never had more than 14 offensive touches in a season. Archer had four kick return TDs at Kent State, though he didn't do much punt returning. May 25 - 11:45 AM

Is it possible that the youngest back in the NFL last season, who missed most of camp and the first three NFL games - and showed improvement as the season went on - gets a little better in his second season and improves his per touch metrics?

Also, once again the drafting of Archer doesn't really have much to do with Bell at all - no one expects Bell to get every touch or every target - the team also lost Emannuel Sanders and Jerricho Cotchery, their second and third WRs last season so there's additional targets available. I don't think Archer is going to be much more than a Chris Rainey type player, and even if he becomes Sproles, his targets do not necessarily need to come at Bell's expense, since their roles will be very different. Pierre Thomas still saw plenty of targets in NO, even though Sproles was there.

However I'm of the contention that Bell is only a value in FF based on volume and situation last year. Bell averaged 3.5 ypc and yet people are trying to justify it. I remember the same arguments with trich's 3.6 ypc his rookie year...it's his ribs etc.

At the very least blount and archer will cut into bells touches more than last season. Which will hurt bells FF value because he's a volume player ( anti spiller/Charles). Now if you think he will improve from 3.5 ypc to 4.5 ypc, that's a different argument. But Pittsburgh has surrounded itself with more rb talent in 2014 to take some of the load off of bell. Bell is looking at being a rb2 this season.
Why is that a different argument? You can look at several RB's who made that jump from rookie season to second season. No one is disagreeing with the idea that the volume of touches will go down but I think it's a non issue. I don't see, barring injury, how Bell doesn't get 300 carries and 50 receptions.

Why is that a different argument? You can look at several RB's who made that jump from rookie season to second season. No one is disagreeing with the idea that the volume of touches will go down but I think it's a non issue. I don't see, barring injury, how Bell doesn't get 300 carries and 50 receptions.
Because it IS a different argument. One argument is that his volume of touches will go down, one argument is that his yards/carry will improve. He can see his touches go down, and separate from that, see his YPC go up (or vice versa).

no way Bell's value drops with the addition of draftee Archer, but any fantasy owner who is not worried about the Blount signing has his head in the sand. Blount runs hard and certainly looks the part of a Steelers RB. Tomlin and Haley are buying in to the 2-headed monster movement and I expect Blount to really eat into Bell's carries. I do agree with the prior poster who implied that Bell is a better back than Blount but it's not by a huge amount. Call it thunder and thunder--you're probably looking at a 70-30 split (if not 60-40) in carries which kills the value of both backs imo. NFL-wise, though, i love the idea of pounding the ball with these two backs.

(if not 60-40)
  • The 60/40 is probably close to correct. But on 1st and 2nd down only.
Steelers 28th with 394 rushes. Year before with 412.

He had 244 in 12/13 games last year. You had 133 by other RBs.

He had 66 targets and all others had 32. He will get most all of them now as a sophomore.
  • Blount wont take any passing situation snaps away from Bell. None.
On 3rd and 4th down with short-yardage-to-go, Bell averaged... 4.67 per carry.

Blount? For his career on 3rd and 4th with short yards to go... 0.93 yards per carry.

Blount is the perfect 1st and 2nd down and normal distance compliment that comes in every 3rd possession or so.

He can also be relied upon heavily fore those same situations if Bell is banged up or totally gassed. Or the game out of reach.

Blount fumbles once every 64 touches whereas Bell had 1 fumble in 290 touches last year and had 0 fumbles in 761 college touches.

Later in the games -- the closer the game is the more reps Bell will get (by design) and the less Blount will get.
  • 60 catches, 550 yards.
  • 267 carries, 1041yards.
426 carries, 396 carries by RBs.

200 = 130 on 1st (65%)

140 = 92 on 2nd (65%)

50 = 40 on 3rd (80%)

6 = 5 on 4th (83%)

Thats probably as perfect as the Steelers want it (well they would prefer even more rushing, granted).

With 130 or so carries for 600 yards by Blount. Which makes Blounts ypc noticeably better then Bells.

Thats an increase of about 250 yards rushing more as a team, and about the exact pace the Steelers had over the final 8 games last year.

I have zero concern about his competition - if Blount or Archer become any sort of threat to Bell then that's Bell's fault.

My concern is about Bell himself and would not pay top 20 overall prices for him.

Rotoworld:

Le'Veon Bell - RB - Steelers

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin has been impressed with Le'Veon Bell this offseason.

"Le'Veon has had a great offseason," Tomlin said. "He's really shown that he is excited about taking the next step, particularly from a conditioning standpoint." Bell had 71 percent of the Steelers' carries in his 13 starts last year and will be a lock for 300-plus touches if he can stay healthy. LeGarrette Blount isn't a threat to Bells workhorse status.

Source: NFL.com

Jul 12 - 3:58 PM
Excerpt from the actual article:

"Le'Veon Bell has had a great offseason," Tomlin said on Friday's edition of NFL Total Access. "He's really shown that he is excited about taking the next step in terms of work that he's done thus far, particularly from a conditioning standpoint.

"LeGarrette Blount has a definite football playing personality, one that not only is evident on the field but in the locker room. Think he's going to be positive to our efforts."

Tomlin also expressed his wish to get the ball in the hands of third-round pick Dri Archer. Tomlin called Archer a "speed guy" who will play both running back and wide receiver.

"I'm excited about letting these guys sort themselves out from a division of labor standpoint," Tomlin said. "I know that they're all committed to being a significant component to what we do."

Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette observed last month that the Steelers "mixed and matched" Bell and Blount during minicamp, a possible sign Blount could have a bigger role than originally anticipated.

Still, Bell's workload and growth last season tells us he'll be The Man in Pittsburgh. We imagine a 75/20/5 touch split for Bell, Blount and Archer in 2014.

Users who are viewing this thread