What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Le'Veon Bell, FA - 9.6.21 Workout For Baltimore (11 Viewers)

Man of Zen said:
The Steelers haven't had a running back catch more than 26 passes in a season since Mewelde Moore in 2008.
Wow.
That says more about the backs for the last 4 years, not what Bell would do for the Steelers
And Bruce Arians' system.
A good pass catching back will get 30+ catches a year, regardless of the system.
I don't know. Mendenhall is a pretty decent receiving back, and he didn't get much in the two full years he carried the mail. Donald Brown last year as well before he lost the starting gig to Ballard.I think it could very well be the Arians system.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man of Zen said:
The Steelers haven't had a running back catch more than 26 passes in a season since Mewelde Moore in 2008.
Wow.
That says more about the backs for the last 4 years, not what Bell would do for the Steelers
And Bruce Arians' system.
A good pass catching back will get 30+ catches a year, regardless of the system.
I don't know. Mendenhall is a pretty decent receiving back, and he didn't get much in the two full years he carried the mail. Donald Brown last year as well before he lost the starting gig to Ballard.I think it could very well be the Arians system.
Mendenhall is average at best, and Brown missed 6 games last year and was a back up for 6 games. He isn't a good example.

via rotoworld:

Le'Veon Bell (knee) returned to Steelers practice Friday.
He should be fine going forward. If Bell is healthy enough to practice in full, he should be healthy enough to make his preseason debut Monday in D.C. Aug 16 - 3:48 PM
Source: Dale Lolley on Twitter

I am curious why a guy with a mild knee problem would get the ball that much on the first drive, especially when he wasn't busting off 10 yard runs?

steelers

RB @L_Bell26 has a right foot injury. He will not be returning to the game. #SteelersMNF

8/19/13 5:23 PM

This guy can just not stay healthy. Man. He's off the list for me at 1.01! Lacy vs. Gio battle to the death.

This should help Bell's value as it is just a minor injury, but on national TV it will get a lot of coverage. He has the potential to be a nice value if slips a bit.

This should help Bell's value as it is just a minor injury, but on national TV it will get a lot of coverage. He has the potential to be a nice value if slips a bit.
Yeah, forget the fact that the line looks gawd awful and so did he in his few carries.

I'm guessing that stat everyone throws out about most yards after contact lat year for bell doesn't translate to the NFL

Question to Steeler fans...how concerned are you about the O line...do you think it's a unit that will get better as the year goes on or do you think it's limited?

Leveon bell the new darren mcfadden. Just effin give dwyer the job & be done with it. Another one of these guys that sneezes and breaks a rib.

Shutout said:
I'm guessing that stat everyone throws out about most yards after contact lat year for bell doesn't translate to the NFL
Easy to lead the nation in Yards After Contact when you also lead in carries. I'm sure Todd Gurley would be #1 on a per carry basis.

Phenix said:
Ilov80s said:
Yeah, forget the fact that the line looks gawd awful and so did he in his few carries.
Dwyer had 60 yards on 8 carries last I saw. Stephens-Howling had around 40-50 on 7 carries last week. The line can run block,it's the pass blocking that needs work.

Dwyer looked quicker to me... Made some pretty sharp cuts.

I'll say it - I was marginally impressed...

having watched Bell in all of his game at Michigan State, I think Pitt was just about the best fit for him. He is not going to run in any from 30 yards or more, hell he got caught from behind more times I can remeber, even when the DB's were 10 yards behind him. But he was great at the goaline and a tough runner.
It is a long shot but I think his ceiling is Edge James, I think his floor is a poor man's Forte but better around the goal line 1200 total yards, 6 to 8 total touchdowns. Assuming he wins the starting job.
His floor is 1200 total yards? wow

Bell could be a total flop, average 3.6 YPC, making the position a RBBC. That's his floor.

Everyone should be honest about Bell. I liked Bell, but had him rated as my 12th rookie going into the draft. Nobody else was super high on the kid. Now he lands with Pittsburgh in the 2nd round and he's a Edgerrin James/Matt Forte.

On tape, Bell is mostly a plodder. Sometimes he flashes being athletic, but he's not very fast and he's not entering a great situation.
Obviously you only read the part you wanted to be critical about. 1200 TOTAL YARDS assuming he wins the the starters job. I expect 300 to 400 yards receiving too.

Here is your recap. His floor is 800 or so rushing and 300 to 400 receiving with 6 to 8 touchdowns. If he wins the job.

His ceiling is Edge James when he was putting up about 2k total yards and 10+ touchdowns in his prime, but I give that about a 10 percent chance.
I have no problem with reading comprehension. I also said "total yards"

My problem is you listing that as his floor. That's assuming he is named the starter, keeps it for the entire season, doesn't get injured, gets enough touches for 1200 total yards, and is productive enough with those touches.

Here are the times a Steeler RB has gone over 1200 total yards(since 2000):

2010 Rashard Mendenhall 1440 on 347 touches

2009 Rashard Mendenhall 1369 on 267 touches

2007 Willie Parker 1480 on 344 touches

2006 Willie Parker 1716 on 368 touches

2005 Willie Parker 1420 on 273 touches

2000 Jerome Bettis 1438 on 368 touches

Here are the times a Steeler RB has gone over 300 yards receiving:

2008 Mewelde Moore 320 yards

2003 Amos Zereoue 310

2002 Amos Zereoue 341

Since Big Ben has taken over at QB, one Steelers RB has had 300 yards receiving or more.

You can see how difficult it is to obtain the 1200 total yards in the last 13 years for the Steelers. That's with two 1st round picks(Bettis/Mendy) and Fast Willie Parkers prime years. It's also very rare for a Steelers RB to have 300 yards receiving, yet along 400.

Last season Steelers RBs(didn't include FB's) had 385 total touches. If Bell had all of those, sure 1200 or higher is a very realistic number. However, he won't get all of them. Dwyer led with 174(45%). The previous year Mendy had 56%, when he was the established starter.

Take the 56%, give him 200 carries at 4 YPC= 800 rushing + 15 receptions at 8 YPC = 120. Much more realistic total yard expectation of 920 yards.

Why should Bell owners temper expectations?

-Bell doesn't possess breakaway speed and won't have many long runs. Bell had 382 carries last year, his long run was 40 yards.

-RBs get injured often in the NFL. Tall RBs 6'2 have a bigger target, so do 240 pound RBs. Both aren't in Bells favor, plus add in his 414 touches last season and it would be outside the norm if he started 16 games.

-Steelers OL has been poor for awhile. They ranked 30th in run blocked(PFF). They've invested in early round picks, but so far it's been a disappointment.

-Big Ben/Steelers don't throw to the RBs often. Once in his career a RB has gone over 300 receiving.

I think expectations of a 1200 yard floor for Bell will leave owners disappointed. A 900 yard floor is much more realistic.
Just bumping due to the last few posts.

I don't think anyone is at bust point yet, but its been injury bull sh@@ all pre season. Already touhgness in question, not what i want to see. Eff it, no problem with dwyer.

Shutout said:
Easy to lead the nation in Yards After Contact when you also lead in carries. I'm sure Todd Gurley would be #1 on a per carry basis.
I posted this earlier - Yards After Contact Per Carry last year for 11 RBs:

3.19 Giovani Bernard

2.88 Eddie Lacy

2.71 Johnathan Franklin

2.60 Joseph Randle

2.59 Andre Ellington

2.49 Montee Ball

2.41 Le'Veon Bell

2.18 Stepfan Taylor

1.95 Marcus Lattimore

1.76 Mike Gillislee

1.76 Christine Michael

Dwyer looked quicker to me... Made some pretty sharp cuts.

I'll say it - I was marginally impressed...
Quick? Sharp cuts?

I thought he made one really nice cut on a long run.....the one on 3rd and 18 where he failed to get the 1st down despite having a good gap, making a nice cut, and having a head of steam. I didn't see a whole lot of sharp cuts besides one.

Who thinks he will be cut?

Shutout said:

3.19 Giovani Bernard

2.88 Eddie Lacy

2.71 Johnathan Franklin

2.60 Joseph Randle

2.59 Andre Ellington

2.49 Montee Ball

2.41 Le'Veon Bell

2.18 Stepfan Taylor

1.95 Marcus Lattimore

1.76 Mike Gillislee

1.76 Christine Michael
something else that could be extracted from the high volume of carries at michigan state...

he was able to handle a high volume of carries (at least in 2012)...

did he only have one big year, though?

Shutout said:

3.19 Giovani Bernard

2.88 Eddie Lacy

2.71 Johnathan Franklin

2.60 Joseph Randle

2.59 Andre Ellington

2.49 Montee Ball

2.41 Le'Veon Bell

2.18 Stepfan Taylor

1.95 Marcus Lattimore

1.76 Mike Gillislee

1.76 Christine Michael
Did you notice halfway down the page where they breakdown offensive systems and how Bell came out there? Extremely well. Also the fact that Bernard and Ellington played in the ACC, and Franklin played the defensively challenged Pac-10 should probably be noted if you are going to arbitrarily use college football results. However, this was addressed in the link you provided:

• Approximately 23% of Franklin and Bernard’s yardage came from free runs. What this means is that 23% of their yardage came on only 7% of their carries. They picked up chunk yardage when the offensive line got to the second level and defenses couldn’t reach them in time. This could be both a reflection on both their O-lines and the defenses they played.
  • Lacy’s low 4.6% free carries doesn’t mean Alabama’s O-line was bad; Chance Warmack and Fluker alone should quell that criticism. It’s most likely a result of tougher SEC run defenses that swarmed faster to the ball.
  • Poor Bell. He had both the lowest percentage of free carries and yards out of all 11 RBs in the group. The Michigan State O-line just couldn’t open big running lanes or help him get chunk yardage. Although some of his other metrics have been simply average, there’s something to be said for a guy who runs into a wall of defenders, gets back up and does it again play after play.
Bernard and Franklin may be the two best RBs of this rookie class, but it has almost nothing to do with their yards after contact in college. If you give me Trent Richardson's YAC in 2011, I'm listening. Franklin running into Arizona's secondary all night, not so much.

Interesting tweet by bell tonight...

@L_Bell26 I favorite all the negative tweets...I'll NEVER forget, that's for sure...I'll come back and be stronger than before

"Come back"?

:unsure:

Wasn't planning on drafting this guy at all this year, but I'm REALLY hopinng this injury doesn't stop league mates from burning 2nd / 3rd round pick on the guy this weekend. :(

@SigmundBloom: Commence ADP freefall. RT @injuryexpert Bad news on Le'Veon Bell. Midfoot sprain is going to keep him out weeks on the low end.

Users who are viewing this thread