What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Le'Veon Bell, FA - 9.6.21 Workout For Baltimore (9 Viewers)

I agree the money is nothing, but next year a team would use the you quit on them when they needed you most. He isn't quitting on anyone right now, he is refusing to work because they won't 0ay him what he is worth
That's where the issue is.  He's not worth what he's asking for.

I agree the money is nothing, but next year a team would use the you quit on them when they needed you most. He isn't quitting on anyone right now, he is refusing to work because they won't pay him what he is worth. 
That’s highly debateable. If he showed up he would have essentially gotten $25 million for the past two seasons. Whatever though, the wagons have been circled and circled again in this thread. 

I agree the money is nothing, but next year a team would use the you quit on them when they needed you most. He isn't quitting on anyone right now, he is refusing to work because they won't pay him what he is worth. 
Of course it would look bad if he skipped the playoffs.  But is that gonna drop his future contract from 40 million guaranteed to 15 million guaranteed?  No.  

He isnt risking getting nothing for 25 grand a game.  He isnt even doing that for 900 grand a game.

Of course it would look bad if he skipped the playoffs.  But is that gonna drop his future contract from 40 million guaranteed to 15 million guaranteed?  No.  

He isnt risking getting nothing for 25 grand a game.  He isnt even doing that for 900 grand a game.
You are reaching here, just like skipping the playoffs. 

I don't know if anyone saw this but Bell's agent is MJD's former agent. This agent was also MJD's best man at his wedding. MJD was on the NFL network saying that his former agent had learned from past mistakes, where MJD didn't hold out, was run into the ground by JAC to the point where he broke his foot. MJD says Bell should hold out until week 11 and since MJD is so close with Bell's agent you can tell he has some inside information about the situation.

Isn’t he one step away from a lengthy suspension? On that alone he’s not worth Gurley’s contract IMO.
I don't think he is. I forget the details, and I just tried to look it up, but I don't think he is in stage 2 or further. If he got popped for a banned substance I am pretty sure he would only get 4 games, not a year, but I could be wrong and can't find anything on it. 

You're just not paying attention or willingly have your head in the sand.  Its a very realistic possibility(if he does sit the 10 games)
How so? Because you said so? You are literally the only person that has said it. Not Bell, not his agent, not the Steelers, not any NFL insiders, not espn. It is realistic to you because you thought of it. 

I don't know if anyone saw this but Bell's agent is MJD's former agent. This agent was also MJD's best man at his wedding. MJD was on the NFL network saying that his former agent had learned from past mistakes, where MJD didn't hold out, was run into the ground by JAC to the point where he broke his foot. MJD says Bell should hold out until week 11 and since MJD is so close with Bell's agent you can tell he has some inside information about the situation.
Fudge

I asked this a few minutes ago. I also believe it's 4 PM. I think if he does not show by then, it says a lot.
Steelers should lock the doors today and not return calls. Leave a note saying first week roster is locked and all team and business transactions are done for week 1.  Open for business as usual Monday morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
msudaisy26 said:
How so? Because you said so? You are literally the only person that has said it. Not Bell, not his agent, not the Steelers, not any NFL insiders, not espn. It is realistic to you because you thought of it. 
Its actually been in articles posted in this very thread.

foxco said:
Isn’t he one step away from a lengthy suspension? On that alone he’s not worth Gurley’s contract IMO.
I believe he's one hot piss test away from a year suspension...

As part of the settlement that reduced his four-game suspension to three games, Le'Veon Bell was kept in Stage 2 of the NFL's substance abuse program.

This is a quietly big deal for Bell in Dynasty leagues. His next violation would not cost him ten games or a full season, which would've been the case had Bell advanced to Stage 3 of the substance abuse program. Instead, any future failed or missed test would only result in another four-game suspension. Expect to see Bell resume going in the late first round of fantasy drafts. DeAngelo Williams will only open the season starting three games, not four.

Source: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Fri, Aug 19, 2016 03:56:00 PM

So his next failed test would be a 4 game suspension.

ghostguy123 said:
You're just not paying attention or willingly have your head in the sand.  Its a very realistic possibility(if he does sit the 10 games)
stated this a while back in this thread; bell skips 10 games, no way he plays in playoffs for $26K+ first 2 games; think jerry jones like, one owner will indeed not care how many games bell skips, he will get paid; now whether he's worth it is not up to anyone but some crazy owner, and there is at least 1

msudaisy26 said:
I don't think he is. I forget the details, and I just tried to look it up, but I don't think he is in stage 2 or further. If he got popped for a banned substance I am pretty sure he would only get 4 games, not a year, but I could be wrong and can't find anything on it. 
Yeah part of his appeal for that suspension was he didn’t move up in the stages so would only be a 4 game suspension if something happened again

MJD also wrote an article about it. My previous post was him giving more context after the article was published.

Unlike Bell, I wasn't under the franchise tag, but I held out for 38 days prior to the 2012 NFL season. Having just won a rushing title -- logging an NFL-high 386 total touches in the process -- I felt I had earned a new deal. The Jaguars, who went through organizational changes that offseason, lacked communication with me and my reps about getting a fresh contract done. I didn't want to be a distraction to my teammates, so I reported right before Week 1 (in football shape) without a new deal. I ended up injuring my foot in Week 7 of the 2012 campaign (having totaled 100 touches already), and that Lisfranc injury ultimately ended my career. I wasn't able to get back to playing at a high level in 2013 and, as a result, never got my due.

Looking back, I wish I would have held out longer to prove my worth. That's why I feel so strongly about Bell sitting out right now.
Given how close MJD is with Bell's agent, I assume MJD is giving advice to Bell, whether it be directly or through the agent. 

If being guaranteed 14.5 million right now with a great chance at boatloads more next year is wrong, then I dont wanna be right.
If working a dangerous job for much less than I’m worth for an employer who has demonstrated that they will not pay me fairly and will put their interests ahead of mine is right, I want to be wrong. 

Every take you have in here is wrong.  Fascinating.  
Nah, it makes sense.  If Bell is willing to sacrifice $8.5M to limit wear on his body to preserve himself for FA, why would he expose his body to danger in playoff games (that he’s not contractually obligated to play) for a max of like $200K (IIRC)?

Rbs are of little value in today's game. It's a passing league and just about every hand off from a good QB is a waste. 

I can see teams with marginal QBs wanting someone like Bell, but the elite teams do not need him.

Rbs are of little value in today's game. It's a passing league and just about every hand off from a good QB is a waste. 

I can see teams with marginal QBs wanting someone like Bell, but the elite teams do not need him.
You realize you are like 5 years behind everyone else? Back then no one was taking 1st round running backs and the position was going RBBC. Now lots of teams are taking 1st round backs again.

The shift is going back to every down backs the pay just hasn't caught up yet.

You realize you are like 3 years behind everyone else? Back then no one was taking 1st round running backs and the position was going RBBC. Now lots of teams are taking 1st round backs again.

The shift is going back to every down backs the pay just hasn't caught up yet.
Only the foolish teams will go back to one 3 down back. I don't see the shift you are talking about. When was the last time a SB winner had an elite RB? They are not needed, and may actual be a detriment to teams with good QBs. What is the Steelers points per game with and without Bell?

MJD also wrote an article about it. My previous post was him giving more context after the article was published.

Given how close MJD is with Bell's agent, I assume MJD is giving advice to Bell, whether it be directly or through the agent. 
This is why I'm not unsympathetic to NFL owners. In a nutshell, MJD wished he'd held out for a megadeal, while acknowledging he was effectively done as a player 7 games after that. So, if things had worked out in his 20/20 hindsight world, he'd have a whole lot of cash he is not earning, resulting in dead money hurting the franchise for years to come. That's considered fair and just to people? I guess I'm just missing the principle.

Only the foolish teams will go back to one 3 down back. I don't see the shift you are talking about. When was the last time a SB winner had an elite RB? They are not needed, and may actual be a detriment to teams with good QBs. What is the Steelers points per game with and without Bell?
The Seahawks with Lynch. The Ravens with Ray Rice. Look at the draft, running backs are going earlier and earlier in the last 5 years. There are many ways to win a super bowl. Teams have done it without an elite qb, teams have done it without elite receivers, teams have done it with bad defenses. There is no exact formula. I am not looking through the numbers, but it is a small sample size and they still had an elite running back in most of those games with DeAngelo Williams. Connor might be elite, but if he isn't then I bet their points per game would suffer.

This is why I'm not unsympathetic to NFL owners. In a nutshell, MJD wished he'd held out for a megadeal, while acknowledging he was effectively done as a player 7 games after that. So, if things had worked out in his 20/20 hindsight world, he'd have a whole lot of cash he is not earning, resulting in dead money hurting the franchise for years to come. That's considered fair and just to people? I guess I'm just missing the principle.
I don't know, I'm honestly completely indifferent. I only care about how it applies to fantasy. 

This is why I'm not unsympathetic to NFL owners. In a nutshell, MJD wished he'd held out for a megadeal, while acknowledging he was effectively done as a player 7 games after that. So, if things had worked out in his 20/20 hindsight world, he'd have a whole lot of cash he is not earning, resulting in dead money hurting the franchise for years to come. That's considered fair and just to people? I guess I'm just missing the principle.
And what about the years before when the owners paid him peanuts for his elite production?

And what about the years before when the owners paid him peanuts for his elite production?
So the principle is the Jags should pay dead money in 2012-2014 to compensate MJDs 2011 season? Ok, maybe I'll go with that if guys who underproduce on whopper deals give money back. The principle can't work 1 direction.

The reason Barkley went so early this year is because one guy who can run and catch is harder to defend against than one guy who can run and one who can catch.  You can't make defensive substitutions on any down because of the personnel. You can go no huddle and be much more dangerous.  The premium guys are legitimately more valuable, but it's hard to plow 25 percent of your cap space into the QB and rb and still field a good team around them.  You really need to commit to the decision if you get one of these guys. 

So the principle is the Jags should pay dead money in 2012-2014 to compensate MJDs 2011 season? Ok, maybe I'll go with that if guys who underproduce on whopper deals give money back. The principle can't work 1 direction.
That isn't how it works, but if you want it that way then the Jags should have paid him like an elite running back after the other seasons.

Underperforming players are cut ALL THE TIME. It's exactly why Bell rejected the $70 MM 'deal' they offered. Because they'd have the ability to cut his ### after $10 MM and one season if he suffered a Lis Franc like MJD.

Bottom line is the days of teams getting to avail cheap rookie deals may be numbered. The players are figuring out that 4-5 years of your prime on a day 2+ contract is wholly unbalanced out of their favor. This is especially true for chewed up and spit out RBs. College kids have an even bigger gripe along the same lines, but they have zero ability to change it, whereas the pros can (and will probably now will more often) hold out and create a boat of drama - like Mack did successfully, and now Leveon is mimicking. I'm a Raiders fan and drafted Leveon last week on one of my two (not two hundred) teams. But I am also trying see what's really happening here and consider the full ramifications from an unbiased view.

In Mack's case, I thought he should've taken a hometown discount (i.e. the Von Miller+ contract that was offered), but he wanted and received a contract that blew that one out of the water, even if at the team's detriment. This even after getting paid $18 MM in 4 years already as a former top 5 pick. In Bell's case, the Stillers offer is laughable. Especially when you consider his prime years were spent getting $4m for 4 years. He did himself no favors by smoking the reef, but c'mon. That production and that contract were so out of whack and this new 'offer' was so lame that I am not surprised at all to see him take a #### you stance. This especially after seeing Gurley get paid and Mack use the same #### you tactic to get PAID.

You don't have to pick the player's side or the owner's side to understand both have valid positions.

In the end owners and players make decisions out of self interest and self preservation. 

Users who are viewing this thread