What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Le'Veon Bell, FA - 9.6.21 Workout For Baltimore (14 Viewers)

There is no difference. Only the perceived one you are making up because you don't know anything about the way Gurley lives or what he does. You might be right that Gurley is straight as an arrow, but you are just guessing and have no basis for it. So try to move the goal posts all you want it changes nothing. 
We KNOW Bell has been suspended in the past. We KNOW Gurley has not been suspended. We KNOW that Bell’s next violation will result in a four game suspension. We KNOW Gurley has somewhere between 1-3 more violations before he is suspended.

To argue the risks are the same is kind of strange.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000687567/article/leveon-bells-suspension-reduced-to-three-games

The link is from 2016, his last suspension.  He hasn’t been suspended since, so unless he’s been removed from the program (I’m not possible whether/if that’s possible), his next suspension for violating the substance-abuse policy is 4 games, as would be the next(first) suspension Gurley receives for violating the substance-abuse policy.  Seems the same to me.??‍♂️
One has missed 5 games to suspensions and another has missed zero (this can not be spun any other way). Not the same to me (or any GM) as far as a team doling out a new mega contract.

We KNOW Bell has been suspended in the past. We KNOW Gurley has not been suspended. We KNOW that Bell’s next violation will result in a four game suspension. We KNOW Gurley has somewhere between 1-3 more violations before he is suspended.

A bizarre stance and she doubles down with each post. :rolleyes:

No biggie, she can have the last word. :thumbup:

So at this point the only possible scenarios I see are:

1- Bell reports after 10 weeks, plays like 5 games, then sits out the playoffs

or

2- Bell gets to week 10, Steelers rescind the tag, Bell signs somewhere else for probably nowhere near where he would have signed if he was a free agent in the offseason

or

3- Bell gets to week 10, Steelers rescind the tag, and Bell just sits till the offseason.

Either way, I simply do not see Bell signing for anywhere close to where he THINKS he will after all this.  

One thing mentioned, I did not realize a couple things with the franchise tag rule.

1- I didnt realize that if he misses several games, he can still negotiate before signing the tag and still get the full 14.5 million.  I suppose it's possible he only misses a few games if he gets the full 14.5 million.

2- I did not realize that somehow the Steelers could still pay him more than 14.5 million this year.  

Bell might be out of the program and would have the same risks.

Imagine you getting a better job but your employer slaps you with a franchise tag. "Sorry you have to work for us for another year." Then they do it again a year later.

If you think Bell doesnt have a greater suspension risk than Gurley, then you are even more clueless than we already all think you are.
His risk is no different, depending on the reports. Bell maybe out of the program and we have no idea if Gurley has ever failed a test because it isn't reported until a possible suspension. Keep hurling the insults though.

One has missed 5 games to suspensions and another has missed zero (this can not be spun any other way). Not the same to me (or any GM) as far as a team doling out a new mega contract.
Are you saying suspension risk from the NFL?  i.e.-one is closer to a 10 game suspension than the other

Or are you saying an one would be more of a risk to sign by a NFL GM?

Because I read it as the first, but it now seems like you are arguing the second.

Imagine you getting a better job but your employer slaps you with a franchise tag. "Sorry you have to work for us for another year." Then they do it again a year later.
I keep seeing various versions of this posted over and over. I actually agree with the thought that the franchise tag is bull #### but the NFLPA has left it in through multiple contracts now. On top of that they kicked the rookies square in the  nuts last negotiation. When does the blame shift to the players? They have a union. Look at what the MLB, NBA and even NHL’s players unions get them. What does the NFL’s get you? Unilateral power from a complete ######## of a commissioner and no negotiating power until you’re 6 years into the league? Jesus, who negotiated that contract for them Jerry Jones?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reading fails you. If Gurley gets popped for a banned substance he gets 4 games. Wanna guess how long Bell gets for the same failed test?

Speaking of reading, I think you need to read up on the substance abuse policy. You're nuts if you think he and Gurley are on the same page regarding suspension risk.
OK, here is where I came in.  @Jed, you said @msudaisy26 was nuts in reply to his post that said the next time Gurley gets popped, he gets the same suspension as Bell does.  This is clearly talking about the two players being the same risk, WITH REGARDS TO THEIR POTENTIAL DISCIPLINE FROM THE NFL.  Now, you seem to be trying to morph your argument into a risk for NFL teams to sign him.

If some dude at his desk job took the option to sit out for a bigger payday everyone would be cheering him on.

Because people have Bell on their FF team they are angry he's trying to leverage his value.  

GTFO with that BS.

His risk is no different, depending on the reports. Bell maybe out of the program and we have no idea if Gurley has ever failed a test because it isn't reported until a possible suspension. Keep hurling the insults though.
According to this fantastic logic, everyone in jail should be let out because they have the same risk of committing future crimes than everyone else.  

I bet you let convicted child molesters watch your kids.  May as well.  They have the same chance of committing a future molestation than anyone else, right?

According to this fantastic logic, everyone in jail should be let out because they have the same risk of committing future crimes than everyone else.  

I bet you let convicted child molesters watch your kids.  May as well.  They have the same chance of committing a future molestation than anyone else, right?
:bow: Just a phenomenal analogy. The exact same thing. How do you do it?

If some dude at his desk job took the option to sit out for a bigger payday everyone would be cheering him on.

Because people have Bell on their FF team they are angry he's trying to leverage his value.  

GTFO with that BS.
That isn't true, some of these guys are Steeler fans and some are bitter people that are upset they can't do this at their job.

At this point, we're all in agreement that the plan seems to be to sit out until Week 10, right? Sitting out week 1 and then coming back before then doesn't make a lot of sense.

Crazy. I think he is going to get killed financially by doing this.
Well, maybe.  Some people pointed out that he could come back week 7 and still be able to negotiate to get his entire 14.5 million this year.  I did not realize that.

It was also mentioned (which wont happen) that the Steelers could pay him MORE than the 14.5 million this year.  

Why are you guys making this about past suspensions/risk? Has zero to do with anything. This is about getting paid guaranteed Gurley type money and nothing else. If Bell were Jesus Christ himself, perfectly pure, zero suspensions/violations this would play out exactly the same. The Steelers do not want to pay guaranteed money beyond year 1 although the horse has left the barn with the rest of the league. That is all. Their preference is to run backs into the ground then on to the next one. Conner next man up. Both have choices. Steelers made theirs. Bell has the right to get himself in a position to get long term guaranteed money and that’s what he’s doing. Trust me - as long as he stays healthy he will get paid. I’d hold out too. Let the Steelers get their lame duck 6 games. 

Why are you guys making this about past suspensions/risk? Has zero to do with anything. This is about getting paid guaranteed Gurley type money and nothing else. If Bell were Jesus Christ himself, perfectly pure, zero suspensions/violations this would play out exactly the same. The Steelers do not want to pay guaranteed money beyond year 1 although the horse has left the barn with the rest of the league. That is all. Their preference is to run backs into the ground then on to the next one. Conner next man up. Both have choices. Steelers made theirs. Bell has the right to get himself in a position to get long term guaranteed money and that’s what he’s doing. Trust me - as long as he stays healthy he will get paid. I’d hold out too. Let the Steelers get their lame duck 6 games. 
If it wasn't for the past suspensions, they very well might have signed him long term a couple years ago.  

Usually teams don't sign guys to huge deals when they were coming off a couple suspension.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, you seem to be saying that past behavior has no predictive value for future behavior.  

Which is, just, wrong.  
No, I didn't. Just keep digging though. I mean did you really just compare child molesters to a person that likes to smoke weed recreationally? WTF is wrong with you?

So at this point the only possible scenarios I see are:

1- Bell reports after 10 weeks, plays like 5 games, then sits out the playoffs

or

2- Bell gets to week 10, Steelers rescind the tag, Bell signs somewhere else for probably nowhere near where he would have signed if he was a free agent in the offseason

or

3- Bell gets to week 10, Steelers rescind the tag, and Bell just sits till the offseason.

Either way, I simply do not see Bell signing for anywhere close to where he THINKS he will after all this.  
Or he comes back anytime between week 2-10. Yes he probably doesn’t but as you posted right after this post he can talk to the Steelers and still get his 14.5 million if they agree to it. So maybe Conner isn’t gonna replace bell like a lot of people think he will and come week 4 the Steelers are going to be begging Bell to come back and he will save himself 4 games of touches and still get the full 14.5 mill. Lot of stuff can happen still so definitely more options then sitting till week 10

No, I didn't. Just keep digging though. I mean did you really just compare child molesters to a person that likes to smoke weed recreationally? WTF is wrong with you?
Yes, you did.  You absolutely did.  You just don't understand what you are talking about.

You said Bell has no greater suspension risk than Gurley, even though Bell has been suspended twice, and Gurley none.  That is what is known as terrible logic.

Well, you seem to be saying that past behavior has no predictive value for future behavior.  

Which is, just, wrong.  
You seem to be inferring what you want from this portion of the thread.

The discussion is about whether Bell is at greater risk to be suspended BY THE NFL than Gurley.  He’s not, he can’t be.  He was removed from the program in August, and seeing as he isn’t under contract to an NFL team, he can’t have committed a violation, so he can piss dirty 3 times before he can get suspended.  Gurley has never been suspended, but he could have between 0-3 violations we wouldn’t know about.  AT WORST, they are at the same place with regards to being suspended by the NFL (under the substance abuse policy).

You seem to be trying to argue that Bell is more likely to smoke than Gurley.  That may be true, but that isn’t what the discussion is about.  You bringing child molestation into this discussion because you don’t understand it is in bad form.

He pointed out the flaw in your logic using a much more extreme example to illustrate the point. Calling that a comparison is pretty disengenous. 

If it wasn't for the past suspensions, they very well might have signed him long term a couple years ago.  

Usually teams don't sign guys to huge deals when they were coming off a couple suspension.
Interesting.  Most of the posts backing the Steelers in this thread (I don’t know if you made any of them or not)argue that Pitt made offers that were more than fair each of the last two years.  Now you are saying if he hadn’t been suspended, they’d have already signed him to a long-term deal.  Those two statements seem contradictory to me. 

You seem to be inferring what you want from this portion of the thread.

The discussion is about whether Bell is at greater risk to be suspended BY THE NFL than Gurley.  He’s not, he can’t be.  He was removed from the program in August, and seeing as he isn’t under contract to an NFL team, he can’t have committed a violation, so he can piss dirty 3 times before he can get suspended.  Gurley has never been suspended, but he could have between 0-3 violations we wouldn’t know about.  AT WORST, they are at the same place with regards to being suspended by the NFL (under the substance abuse policy).

You seem to be trying to argue that Bell is more likely to smoke than Gurley.  That may be true, but that isn’t what the discussion is about.  You bringing child molestation into this discussion because you don’t understand it is in bad form.
If Bell is more likely to smoke, isn't he also more likely to be suspended by the NFL? 

Yes, you did.  You absolutely did.  You just don't understand what you are talking about.

You said Bell has no greater suspension risk than Gurley, even though Bell has been suspended twice, and Gurley none.  That is what is known as terrible logic.
No I wasn't and I am going to help you out because you fail at reading comprehension. I was arguing their risk for suspension. Gurley and Bell are at the same risk of suspension from the NFL for a failed test, actually Gurley might be at a higher risk because Bell is out of the program as of last month. Gurley could have missed a test or failed a test and we wouldn't know about it. That is another discussion though.

Then Jed moved the goal posts and tried to say well Bell is more likely to smoke weed or fail a test based on past results. Once again this is not true, because we have no idea if Gurley has ever failed a test. Are you friends with Gurley? I am not and I bet Jed isn't either. He might smoke weed or take PED's all the time and never have been caught.

You are wrong, but this should be nothing new to you. You are always wrong.

Interesting.  Most of the posts backing the Steelers in this thread (I don’t know if you made any of them or not)argue that Pitt made offers that were more than fair each of the last two years.  Now you are saying if he hadn’t been suspended, they’d have already signed him to a long-term deal.  Those two statements seem contradictory to me. 
They probably would have been more aggressive with a long term deal because he didn't have the suspension risk and off the field baggage. That's how I read it. 

Total BS. This is the Steeler way. 

“There are only two teams in the league that don’t guarantee beyond the first year, the Steelers being one of them,” Bakari added.”

They probably would have been more aggressive with a long term deal because he didn't have the suspension risk and off the field baggage. That's how I read it. 
Which is wrong as well. Maybe you heard about a guy named Ben Roethlisberger? He got in some pretty big trouble, more than just smoking weed. They had no trouble signing him.

If he hadn't been suspended, they likely would have offered him MORE MONEY.  

I said that Bells previous suspensions kept the Steelers from offering the big deal Bell was looking for (probably)

No I wasn't and I am going to help you out because you fail at reading comprehension. I was arguing their risk for suspension. Gurley and Bell are at the same risk of suspension from the NFL for a failed test, actually Gurley might be at a higher risk because Bell is out of the program as of last month. Gurley could have missed a test or failed a test and we wouldn't know about it. That is another discussion though.

Then Jed moved the goal posts and tried to say well Bell is more likely to smoke weed or fail a test based on past results. Once again this is not true, because we have no idea if Gurley has ever failed a test. Are you friends with Gurley? I am not and I bet Jed isn't either. He might smoke weed or take PED's all the time and never have been caught.

So the driver who has 5 speeding tickets is the same risk to insure as a person who we don't know how many speeding tickets they have?  

Im going to venture a guess that you are not an insurance actuary. 

So the driver who has 5 speeding tickets is the same risk to insure as a person who we don't know how many speeding tickets they have?  

Im going to venture a guess that you are not an insurance actuary. 
I am going to guess you aren't either. After so many years those tickets come off your record and the insurance actuary can't tell who has the bigger risk.

I am going to guess you aren't either. After so many years those tickets come off your record and the insurance actuary can't tell who has the bigger risk.
They may go off your record, but the insurance company has them in their database anyway and knows about it.  Just like we know about Bell's history even if he is at square one for the NFL drug policy. 

True, but in the case of Bell, we DO know his past issues, regardless of which stage he is in.  Hence, your faulty logic.  

This is so stupid.  The fact that I am entertaining this craptastic display of logic pretty much makes me just as dumb.  

Leveon Bell, who has been suspended twice for substance use (weed), has the same likelihood of a future suspension than Gurley, which means he has the same likelihood of suspension as every other player in the NFL.  Same as Tom Brady, same as Rodgers, same as Wilson.......................so ridiculous.  

OK, here is where I came in.  @Jed, you said @msudaisy26 was nuts in reply to his post that said the next time Gurley gets popped, he gets the same suspension as Bell does.  This is clearly talking about the two players being the same risk, WITH REGARDS TO THEIR POTENTIAL DISCIPLINE FROM THE NFL.  Now, you seem to be trying to morph your argument into a risk for NFL teams to sign him.
You missed me saying this:

Regardless, one player has been suspended twice, one has not. But OK, they are on the same risk page.

EDIT: I see he's not in the program as of last month. Still a huge risk difference between Gurley and Bell as far as potential suitors.

They may go off your record, but the insurance company has them in their database anyway and knows about it.  Just like we know about Bell's history even if he is at square one for the NFL drug policy. 
Still comparing apples to oranges. A team could use it against Bell in contract talks. I doubt they would, since they are trying to sign him and not piss him off. If an insurance company tried to hike up your rate after the tickets are off your record they will get into a lot of trouble. At least you tried and didn't compare him to a child molesters.

At this point, we're all in agreement that the plan seems to be to sit out until Week 10, right? Sitting out week 1 and then coming back before then doesn't make a lot of sense.

Crazy. I think he is going to get killed financially by doing this.
This is my question too. Are there any scenarios that make sense that he reports, say week 4? (or any other random week)

Seems like week 10 is very likely.

True, but in the case of Bell, we DO know his past issues, regardless of which stage he is in.  Hence, your faulty logic.  

This is so stupid.  The fact that I am entertaining this craptastic display of logic pretty much makes me just as dumb.  

Leveon Bell, who has been suspended twice for substance use (weed), has the same likelihood of a future suspension than Gurley, which means he has the same likelihood of suspension as every other player in the NFL.  Same as Tom Brady, same as Rodgers, same as Wilson.......................so ridiculous.  
  :lmao: So bad and so wrong. I can't help you, I don't think anyone can. Good luck

:lmao: So bad and so wrong. I can't help you, I don't think anyone can. Good luck
Venturing to guess maybe only 1% of the human population would agree with you in this back and forth.  

Need to have poll question "who is more likely to be suspended at some point in the future, Bell or Gurley"?  Should be an interesting poll result.  

Yet you whine about throwing around insults. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread