timschochet

The North Korea Thread: Trump has completely blown this

5,268 posts in this topic

39 minutes ago, Matthias said:

He conceded more than anyone had before.

I'll bite.  What did he give them?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

irishidiot said:


I'll bite. What did he give them?


A photo op.

Remember when George Costanza got the picture of the model and used it to get into all the cool clubs and get sympathy attention from women who thought he was a widower? Well, that's what the summit meeting accomplished for Kim. That meeting elevates his status with all the cool countries, making them less likely to cut him off.

Also, Trump gave Kim another thing that no other president gave him: extra time to rebuild his nuke program without scrutiny. Every other president kept pressure on NK, but not Trump. Trump is allowing Kim to rebuild his nuke program right now and we aren't saying a damn thing about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reduction of US forces in South Korea. Ringing endorsement and treated as an equal, with an upcoming visit to the White House. Probability of opening up trade. Being cast as a sympathetic figure for Ren for all the poor, starving North Korean children. A Donald Trump-autographed record.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Matthias said:

Reduction of US forces in South Korea. Ringing endorsement and treated as an equal, with an upcoming visit to the White House. Probability of opening up trade. Being cast as a sympathetic figure for Ren for all the poor, starving North Korean children. A Donald Trump-autographed record.

See, that was my understanding as well however when challenged I couldn't find sufficient backup.  Link?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Amused to Death said:

See, that was my understanding as well however when challenged I couldn't find sufficient backup.  Link?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/03/world/asia/trump-troops-south-korea.html

 

He proposed looking into reducing the troops in May prior to the big meeting. And like Matthias posted, has already canceled all military exercises. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Matthias said:

The Pentagon announced Tuesday that Ulchi-Freedom Guardian, an intensive military readiness exercise involving tens of thousands of U.S. and South Korean troops, would not take place this August. This confirmed one of the most remarkable outcomes of the June 12 Trump-Kim summit — when President Trump announced at a news conference that the United States would suspend military exercises with South Korea.

Calling these exercises “provocative” and “expensive,” Trump also suggested that he was willing to consider removing all 28,500 U.S. troops stationed in South Korea in exchange for North Korean advances toward its denuclearization pledge.

Perfect, thank you.  I'm not always good at internetting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bucky86 said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/03/world/asia/trump-troops-south-korea.html

 

He proposed looking into reducing the troops in May prior to the big meeting. And like Matthias posted, has already canceled all military exercises. 

Thanks, so I was completely wrong earlier today.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Amused to Death said:

The Pentagon announced Tuesday that Ulchi-Freedom Guardian, an intensive military readiness exercise involving tens of thousands of U.S. and South Korean troops, would not take place this August. This confirmed one of the most remarkable outcomes of the June 12 Trump-Kim summit — when President Trump announced at a news conference that the United States would suspend military exercises with South Korea.

Calling these exercises “provocative” and “expensive,” Trump also suggested that he was willing to consider removing all 28,500 U.S. troops stationed in South Korea in exchange for North Korean advances toward its denuclearization pledge.

Perfect, thank you.  I'm not always good at internetting.

I had a 12-yo show me how to find stuff on it other than pr0n. There's a lot out there. Who knew.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Joe Summer said:


A photo op.

Remember when George Costanza got the picture of the model and used it to get into all the cool clubs and get sympathy attention from women who thought he was a widower? Well, that's what the summit meeting accomplished for Kim. That meeting elevates his status with all the cool countries, making them less likely to cut him off.

Also, Trump gave Kim another thing that no other president gave him: extra time to rebuild his nuke program without scrutiny. Every other president kept pressure on NK, but not Trump. Trump is allowing Kim to rebuild his nuke program right now and we aren't saying a damn thing about it.

 

14 minutes ago, Matthias said:

Reduction of US forces in South Korea. Ringing endorsement and treated as an equal, with an upcoming visit to the White House. Probability of opening up trade. Being cast as a sympathetic figure for Ren for all the poor, starving North Korean children. A Donald Trump-autographed record.

 

10 minutes ago, Bucky86 said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/03/world/asia/trump-troops-south-korea.html

 

He proposed looking into reducing the troops in May prior to the big meeting. And like Matthias posted, has already canceled all military exercises. 

 

I'll bite, what else did we give up?

Edited by Sheriff Bart
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Matthias said:

Reduction of US forces in South Korea. Ringing endorsement and treated as an equal, with an upcoming visit to the White House. Probability of opening up trade. Being cast as a sympathetic figure for Ren for all the poor, starving North Korean children. A Donald Trump-autographed record.

Well your 1st contention is wrong.   Ringing endorsement?  You were all up in arms when he called him Rocket man.  Which way do you want it?  Next-Is there a date set for the White house visit?    Next:  "probability" I think is the key word here.  Date set yet?   "cast as a sympathetic figure"  Guess I didn't really glean that but if that's your take more power to you.  And last but not least:   "autographed record"?  I doubt that is much of a concession.  IMO

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

irishidiot said:


Ringing endorsement? You were all up in arms when he called him Rocket man


Why do you think it has to be one or the other?

Do you really think that it's not possible for a human being to condemn without using petty name calling?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Joe Summer said:


Why do you think it has to be one or the other?

Do you really think that it's not possible for a human being to condemn without using petty name calling?

"Honey, I'm going to need you to do both.  Stop sleeping with the neighbor and stop stabbing him in the crotch with a knife."

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, irishidiot said:

Well your 1st contention is wrong.   Ringing endorsement?  You were all up in arms when he called him Rocket man.  Which way do you want it?  Next-Is there a date set for the White house visit?    Next:  "probability" I think is the key word here.  Date set yet?   "cast as a sympathetic figure"  Guess I didn't really glean that but if that's your take more power to you.  And last but not least:   "autographed record"?  I doubt that is much of a concession.  IMO

When you have a crazy dictator who's working on nukes, it's a bad idea to push towards military conflict. It's also unnecessary and unseemly to treat him as a legitimate leader and suck his #### in public. 

In most of life, there's more than 2 options on things. Today you learned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Matthias said:

When you have a crazy dictator who's working on nukes, it's a bad idea to push towards military conflict. It's also unnecessary and unseemly to treat him as a legitimate leader and suck his #### in public. 

In most of life, there's more than 2 options on things. Today you learned.

This started with you saying that Trump gave up way more concessions to NK than Clinton.   I asked what concessions Trump gave up.  Your answer was basically nothing except for we gave Kim

 

5 minutes ago, Matthias said:

When you have a crazy dictator who's working on nukes, it's a bad idea to push towards military conflict. It's also unnecessary and unseemly to treat him as a legitimate leader and suck his #### in public. 

In most of life, there's more than 2 options on things. Today you learned.

You started by saying that Trump gave way more concessions to NK than Clinton. Your recent reply carries an element of smugness but a little info on the Clinton deal:

For 16 months, Gallucci and his team conducted intense negotiations with North Korea. The countries locked horns on what it would take for North Korea to stop producing nukes. Finally, they came to an agreement—the Agreed Framework.

Just four pages long, the agreement said that North Korea would shut down its main nuclear reactor in Yongbyon, abandon two others, and seal fuel that could potentially be used to create a nuclear weapon. In exchange, the U.S. would provide oil to make up for the fuel lost from the dismantled plants and would build two new “light fuel” plants from which it would be harder to extract nuclear materials. If North Korea did try to get fuel out of the new plants, it would be easy for nuclear watchdogs to identify—and hard to hide. In addition, the agreement promised that the U.S. would lift economic sanctions and its diplomatic freeze on North Korea and agree that it would not use nuclear weapons of its own on North Korea.

Thanks for the "learned" lesson though.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Joe Summer said:


Why do you think it has to be one or the other?

Do you really think that it's not possible for a human being to condemn without using petty name calling?

It's possible & preferred.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol I love when you guys prove we gave absolutely nothing up with sources. Great work.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Weebs210 said:

Lol I love when you guys prove we gave absolutely nothing up with sources. Great work.

It’s amazing this gets complained about when the hostages are home and we are no longer on the brink of war. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, GoBirds said:

It’s amazing this gets complained about when the hostages are home and we are no longer on the brink of war. 

He is the one who took us to the brink of war.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, GoBirds said:

It’s amazing this gets complained about when the hostages are home and we are no longer on the brink of war. 

Can you provide us with a status update on the NK denuclearization and returns of the Korean War remains?

TIA

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bucky86 said:

Can you provide us with a status update on the NK denuclearization and returns of the Korean War remains?

TIA

 An you provide an update on our hostages? 

Scurry back under the bridge. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GoBirds said:

 An you provide an update on our hostages? 

Scurry back under the bridge. 

Don’t stay up too late. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, GoBirds said:

 An you provide an update on our hostages? 

Scurry back under the bridge. 

 

3 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

Don’t stay up too late. 

:goodposting: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bucky86 said:

 

:goodposting: 

Go grab some fresh air and sit a few plays out there hoss. The consistent whining isn’t good. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GoBirds said:

Go grab some fresh air and sit a few plays out there hoss. The consistent whining isn’t good. 

So....are you not going to update on the NK denuclearization and war remains return?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bucky86 said:

So....are you not going to update on the NK denuclearization and war remains return?

 

Maybe let it play out and don’t act like a little child whenever a liberal publication posts something negative? Relations are way better than when chubs was firing rockets over Japan and torturing US hostages so complaining just looks like more of the same. Your a broken record with no credibility.  :rolleyes:

Edited by GoBirds
2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GoBirds said:

Maybe let it play out and don’t act like a little child whenever a liberal publication posts something negative? Relations are way better than when chubs was firing rockets over Japan and torturing hostages so complaining just looks like more of the same. *Your a broken record with no credibility.  :rolleyes:

*You're

K

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bucky86 said:

*You're

K

This is actually way better than your typical post. Congrats I guess. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GoBirds said:

This is actually way better than your typical post. Congrats I guess. 

K

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, sho nuff said:
5 hours ago, GoBirds said:

It’s amazing this gets complained about when the hostages are home and we are no longer on the brink of war. 

He is the one who took us to the brink of war.

Don't bother. The Trump is too strong in him

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, msommer said:

Don't bother. The Trump is too strong in him

If you can get him to stop trolling me you’ll get a reward. An MSNBC shirt or something else really sweet. Thanks. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, GoBirds said:

If you can get him to stop trolling me you’ll get a reward. An MSNBC shirt or something else really sweet. Thanks. 

You're welcome, but he wasn't trolling. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, packersfan said:

Sorry Trump said hundreds of families stopped him on the campaign trail and said they wanted their sons’ remains returned.

He must have meant "sons" in the "sons of liberty" sense and not the literal sense. Or else there's hundreds of 110 year olds attending campaign events. It's not like he would just make something up!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, sho nuff said:
11 hours ago, GoBirds said:

It’s amazing this gets complained about when the hostages are home and we are no longer on the brink of war. 

He is the one who took us to the brink of war.

We were never on the brink of war guys :shrug:

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Commish said:

We were never on the brink of war guys :shrug:

 

Perhaps...the point is that tensions escalated because of Trumps actions and now he and his supporters want everyone to credit Trump for having those tensions now lower...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, The Commish said:

We were never on the brink of war guys :shrug:

 

We have always been at war with Eastasia.  :shrug:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

Perhaps...the point is that tensions escalated because of Trumps actions and now he and his supporters want everyone to credit Trump for having those tensions now lower...

We aren't any better off today with NK than we were when Trump took office.  I guess the good news is, we aren't any worse off either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

We have always been at war with Eastasia.  :shrug:

Because of the lack of paperwork and official declarations you mean?  Agreed....I think you know what I meant though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.