What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tony Romo New Deal (1 Viewer)

David Yudkin

Footballguy
Per Adam Schefter: Cowboys signed QB Tony Romo to a six-year, $108 million extension through 2019, including $55 million guaranteed.

Guess the Cowboys found some money after all. Good for Tony? He should really thank Flacco for this as all of the new QB deals should have some type of override that goes to Joe. How many millions per playoff win does that break down to?

On the flip side, he's a fiery competitor and I think he always tries to play thru the pain, doesn't complain a lot, seems like a great teammate for those around him. I'm not surprised by this, just not sure he is truly worth the money.

The Brady 3 years for $27 million extension is going to end up looking like a total steal for NE once some of the new QB deals get done. Rodgers extension to be announced soon said to be for $25 million a year.

The Brady 3 years for $27 million extension is going to end up looking like a total steal for NE once some of the new QB deals get done. Rodgers extension to be announced soon said to be for $25 million a year.
Guaranteed money only...Brady - $57mBrees - $55mRomo - $55mFlacco - $51mSurprised the spread isn't bigger.

Tony Romo uses his leverage on Dallas Cowboys

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League Editor

Tony Romo had all the leverage. He took advantage.

The Dallas Cowboys desperately needed salary cap space and owner Jerry Jones knows what it's like not to have a quality quarterback. It's not like there ever was a risk of Romo leaving Dallas.

So Romo's agents did what agents have done to Jones for years: They got Jones to overpay. Just not by as much as everyone thinks.

Romo will get a six-year contract extension worth $108 million, according to NFL.com's Ian Rapoport. The total deal is for $119.5 million over seven years. The contract extension includes $55 million guaranteed and a $25 million signing bonus, according to Rapoport. Yes, that's more guaranteed money than Baltimore Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco received despite the Super Bowl champion being five years younger.

Like so many big deals, the fine print on this contract will tell the story. NFL.com's Albert Breer reported that Romo will earn $57 million in the first three years of the deal. That's an average of $19 million-per-season. It's elite quarterback money that puts Romo in the neighborhood of Flacco, Drew Brees and Peyton Manning. The key number here: Three years.

After that, all bets are off. Romo will turn 35-years-old in 2016. And the Cowboys will have another big decision to make on his future then.

This contract will draw a lot of snickers from people pointing out Romo's lack of playoff success, but that's not necessarily fair. Romo would do very, very well on the open market. Other points to consider:

1. Romo is never getting close to the end of this contract. It doesn't really matter what he's getting paid from 2017-2019 when Romo is between 37- and 39-years-old. He will have been released or his contract will have been restructured by then.

2. With that in mind, the structure of the deal is what really matters here. Lost in the shuffle following Flacco's signing: The reality that Flacco truly signed a three-year contract that will be revisited in 2016. My strong guess is that Romo's contract will be similar. The only money that really matters is the next three years.

$108 million sounds crazy, but the number is ultimately phony. Few players get near the end of deals like this. The length of the contract allows the Cowboys to save as much salary cap room as possible in the present, pushing any pain into the future. This is what the Cowboys do.

3. Rapoport reported Thursday that the Cowboys would not be able to use the franchise tag on Romo after the 2013 season. That report puts this contract in a different light. They had to make a deal now because their entire offseason was held hostage until it happened. The Cowboys literally had free agent visitors that they couldn't immediately sign this week because of salary cap concerns.

4. For all the jokes that will be made at Romo's expense, it's worth noting that he's consistently a top-10 quarterback. Top-10 quarterbacks are hard to find and extremely valuable. Romo has been a better, more consistent quarterback on average than Flacco over the last five years.

Judging a quarterback solely based on playoff success is ridiculous. It's the argument of the lazy. By that logic, Tom Brady was a better quarterback in 2001 than he was in 2012. Put Romo on the 2007 Giants and they win the title.

Jones overpaid his star player because that's what the Cowboys do. Big, shiny numbers get attention. Big contracts are self-fulfilling prophesies. They justify Cowboys hype.

But let's not get carried away. Romo is not Roy Williams, Ken Hamlin, or even Doug Free. Romo is an above average starting quarterback, whether fans believe it or not. You can live with overpaying for a quality quarterback.

We just don't trust Jones to support Romo. It's all the other overpaid Cowboys on the roster that are really the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like so many big deals, the fine print on this contract will tell the story. NFL.com's Albert Breer reported that Romo will earn $57 million in the first three years of the deal. That's an average of $19 million-per-season. It's elite quarterback money that puts Romo in the neighborhood of Flacco, Drew Brees and Peyton Manning. The key number here: Three years.
Still ridiculous.

Romo is an above average starting quarterback, whether fans believe it or not. You can live with overpaying for a quality quarterback.
I completely disagree. Giving that kind of money to a single player severely limits what the team can do with other players.

Romo is a good regular season, non-big game QB and will always put up solid numbers. Romo has also been in the league for 8 seasons and has a proven track record of huge blunders in big games. Jerry Jones the owner likes him..that is all that matters.

Romo is an above average starting quarterback, whether fans believe it or not. You can live with overpaying for a quality quarterback.
I completely disagree. Giving that kind of money to a single player severely limits what the team can do with other players.
The deal gives them $5 mil more cap space this year.

I hate the long term commitment and cap hits as his age. That being said, I don't think the team had any other choice.

1. After this year, his contract voids and there is a loophole that would prevent him from being franchised.

2. The team is middle of the pack with its 2 best players over 30 (Witten/Ware) and I believe Jerry wants to give this core group a chance. Trying to find a QB through the draft or trade with Romo's skills would cost the team a few years to rebuild and while that may be a smart long term move, Jerry is a now guy.

3. It was one of the few possible big restructurings they could do to free up cap space this year.

Cap hit per year

Year Cap Hit

2013 $11.82 million

2014 $21.77 million

2015 $25.27 million

2016 $15.14 million

2017 $19 million

2018 $19.5 million

2019 $20.5 million

'moondog said:
Cap hit per yearYear Cap Hit2013 $11.82 million2014 $21.77 million2015 $25.27 million2016 $15.14 million2017 $19 million2018 $19.5 million2019 $20.5 million
I gotta think they redo it as early as next year for cap relief.

'David Yudkin said:
It was a steal the moment it was signed and everyone knew it then. It was so much of a steal, some people were wondering if there was a side deal attached to it.Having your wife be the major income earner in the family helps in not having to worry about millions of dollars and instead sign a deal which allows the Pats to try and win another championship.

'moondog said:
Cap hit per yearYear Cap Hit2013 $11.82 million2014 $21.77 million2015 $25.27 million2016 $15.14 million2017 $19 million2018 $19.5 million2019 $20.5 million
I gotta think they redo it as early as next year for cap relief.
I expect them to guarantee his 2016 salary as well in exchange for restructuring. Just an awful, awful deal for the Cowboys.

'David Yudkin said:
It was a steal the moment it was signed and everyone knew it then. It was so much of a steal, some people were wondering if there was a side deal attached to it.Having your wife be the major income earner in the family helps in not having to worry about millions of dollars and instead sign a deal which allows the Pats to try and win another championship.
The Pats took a lot of risk that Brady will stay healthy and his skills won't diminish with that contract.

I think this deal just proves that Jerry Jones has completely fallen off his rocker... Romo is not even close to worth that kind of money...

I think this deal just proves that Jerry Jones has completely fallen off his rocker... Romo is not even close to worth that kind of money...
Sold out stadium, jersey sales, brings in plenty of females because they like him. Popular guy, media loves him in terms of a real person. I think PR wise Jones will make back maybe not 10 fold but at least 3-4 fold from this.

Sold out stadium, jersey sales, brings in plenty of females because they like him. Popular guy, media loves him in terms of a real person. I think PR wise Jones will make back maybe not 10 fold but at least 3-4 fold from this.
So? He'll be dead soon. He sure won't be enjoying another SB victory.

The cowboys could always let Romo go and let Jerry pick a new QB. I enjoyed the Quincy Carter/Chad Hutchinson era.

I just hate when my team's QB averages 4400 yards & 30 TD per season with a 95.6 qb rating and is one of only 4 people with a 7+ ANY/A for their career.

First off, you have to be an idiot if you think he says out the length of his contract.It's a 2/3 year deal.
It's almost certainly a 3 year, $69M deal because he gets guaranteed $7.5M of his 2015 salary on the 3rd league day of 2014. Only 2016 is in question but he's only making $11.1M vs. a $10 cap hit if they cut him. However, due to his cap hits of $22M and $25M in 2014/2015 I expect them to guarantee 2016 as well in order to reduce their cap number. That means he'll be making $80M over 4 years before they cut him in 2017 and take the $5M cap hit.

The cowboys could always let Romo go and let Jerry pick a new QB. I enjoyed the Quincy Carter/Chad Hutchinson era.
I know right? I remember those days and still have nightmares. Based on THAT, as a fan, I'm fine with this.

This adds up to $133 million over 7 years. I thought that his deal was for $119.5 million over 7 years. Did he have $13.5 million in cap hit left over from his old contract?

I just hate when my team's QB averages 4400 yards & 30 TD per season with a 95.6 qb rating and is one of only 4 people with a 7+ ANY/A for their career.
I just hate when my team's QB has exactly one more playoff win than Quincy Carter.

This adds up to $133 million over 7 years. I thought that his deal was for $119.5 million over 7 years. Did he have $13.5 million in cap hit left over from his old contract?
The above figure is assuming all incentives are hit. The incentives come in 2018 and 2019 IIRC.

culdeus said:
ZWK said:
Cap hit per year

Year Cap Hit

2013 $11.82 million

2014 $21.77 million

2015 $25.27 million

2016 $15.14 million

2017 $19 million

2018 $19.5 million

2019 $20.5 million
The above figure is assuming all incentives are hit. The incentives come in 2018 and 2019 IIRC.
Do you have a source? That doesn't seem right.

Over The Cap lists all his money as either "base salary" or "prorated bonus", and the extra money seems to be part of the "prorated bonus" numbers, since those total $38.5M (which is $13.5M more than his $25M signing bonus). The prorated bonus all comes during the first 5 years, and after subtracting off the money for the $25M signing bonus (which prorates into $5M per year for the first 5 years of the contract) the additional prorated bonus cap hits all comes during the first 4 years: $5.3M in year 1, $3.3M in year 2, $3.3M in year 3, and $1.6M in year 4.

Although, if Romo's cap hit was going to be $16.8M before he signed the deal, and it's a six-year $108M extension, then we'd expect his total cap hit to be $124.8M over the next seven years ($16.8M + $108M). Which is in between the $119.5M and $133M numbers. Possibly, the difference between the $124.8M and $133M is based on incentives (although you'd think his agent would've announced the higher number), and the $119.5M comes from ignoring old dead money?

Last edited by a moderator:
Billy Ball Thorton said:
cstu said:
The Cowboys are so ####ed because of this deal.
Why? Very lame bump.
Because it handcuffs them to this "window" way longer than it should. Romo is 34. Garrett barely survives the hot seat every single year as they switch around the coaching staff on him to try and make it work and salvage their investment. And they're stuck with this situation for the foreseeable future because who wants to come and coach a team with:

1. Jerry Jones as the GM and decision-maker.

2. This huge deal handcuffing the team to a 35-36 year old Romo with huge cap consequences.

Billy Ball Thorton said:
cstu said:
The Cowboys are so ####ed because of this deal.
Why? Very lame bump.
Because it handcuffs them to this "window" way longer than it should. Romo is 34. Garrett barely survives the hot seat every single year as they switch around the coaching staff on him to try and make it work and salvage their investment. And they're stuck with this situation for the foreseeable future because who wants to come and coach a team with:1. Jerry Jones as the GM and decision-maker.

2. This huge deal handcuffing the team to a 35-36 year old Romo with huge cap consequences.
IMO issue #1 is far worse than issue #2. Romo's contract is what it is -- and next to Flacco's and Cutler's deals it doesn't look terrible to me. Romo's older than both those guys, but also significantly better IMO. The alternative was to blow things up and suck for a few years while purging the years of dead money / bad cap mgmt. That's not appealing either

Bottom line is the Cowboys' problems can be laid at the feet of Jerry Jones thinking he can be a GM. Romo and his contract are way down on the blame list for me.

Seeing that Dal had arguably the worst D in football last year and couldn't sign one of their only good defensive players this offseason I'd say the contract is a problem.

Seeing that Dal had arguably the worst D in football last year and couldn't sign one of their only good defensive players this offseason I'd say the contract is a problem.
The d was mostly due to injuries. People were praising the Dallas D the first several weeks until guys started dropping like flies.

Users who are viewing this thread