What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jordan Reed - TE - SF (4 Viewers)

My gut says he doesn't play this week. In all reality why would the Redskins want him to play this week. I know Vernon Davis isn't the talent that Reed is but he's been filling in more than adequately and the Redskins have a bye week 9 which would give Reed another week of rest to fully and completely recover from his concussion. All games by the Redskins to hopefully get Cincinnati to game plan for Reed possibly coming back this week. We've seen teams play this game before with many players and then they end up not playing and we're probably not going to play in the first place.  

My gut says he doesn't play this week. In all reality why would the Redskins want him to play this week. I know Vernon Davis isn't the talent that Reed is but he's been filling in more than adequately and the Redskins have a bye week 9 which would give Reed another week of rest to fully and completely recover from his concussion. All games by the Redskins to hopefully get Cincinnati to game plan for Reed possibly coming back this week. We've seen teams play this game before with many players and then they end up not playing and we're probably not going to play in the first place.  
Because going into the bye at 5-3 sounds much better than going into the bye at 4-4

For me, Reed is not one of those "if he's active, he's in my line-up" guys at this point. He needs to get back on the field, get through a game and play like Jordan Reed before I slot him in...
There is no such thing as limited with concussion. This is not a soft tissue injury, you are either cleared and full go or you don't play. 

For me, Reed is not one of those "if he's active, he's in my line-up" guys at this point. He needs to get back on the field, get through a game and play like Jordan Reed before I slot him in...
When active, Reed plays like Reed. It's rare for him to be active and not have an impact.

When active, Reed plays like Reed. It's rare for him to be active and not have an impact.
Latest rotoworld blurb says that "Reed expects to play."

If he's cleared I don't see any reason not to start him. I'm not a concussion expert, but I assume that unlike a knee injury or something, you aren't "eased in" after a concussion. Your head is either cleared or it isn't.

1 more hit and he's out for weeks more if not season if not career

With as many as he's had ... has anyone continued a career with as many as he's had as severe as they've been ?

Reed had a long history of being active and playing one quarter or so. I've owned him forever and regretted it until last year.
Would like to see the data on this.

If this was all the case, why was Bloom recommending him on the 2/3 turn?

As an aside, Reed is saying he's packing his bags as if he's going to be cleared and heading to London.

Both Norman and Reed cleared to travel with the team per Gruden.

Who is starting? 

Who is playing it safe?

Have him in two leagues and alternatives are Fleener or C. Fiedorwicz. Leaning Reed for both. This is why I drafted him.

Starting Reed for sure if he plays. Good thing is we'll know early if he isn't or not. But I think he plays.
I kind of think we already know, he'd have had to visited the independent doc before he gets on the flight and I can't see him getting on that flight if he's did not get cleared.

that makes no sense.  Why would they put him on the plane if not cleared to play?
He was actually cleared by the independent neurologist to play so technically he's been cleared. 

At this point the team wants to, or at least is saying they want to, see how he responds to the flight and Friday's practice. Big difference between needing to get cleared to play versus needing to avoid a setback to play. So when Gruden or reports state he's not been cleared to play that's technically not correct, they are just leaving the door open in case he has a setback.

He was actually cleared by the independent neurologist to play so technically he's been cleared. 

At this point the team wants to, or at least is saying they want to, see how he responds to the flight and Friday's practice. Big difference between needing to get cleared to play versus needing to avoid a setback to play. So when Gruden or reports state he's not been cleared to play that's technically not correct, they are just leaving the door open in case he has a setback.
Understanding the number of concussions Reed has had, I think Gruden is just taking the politically correct approach here. 

God knows he doesn't want it on his head if Reed goes the wrong way 10 years down the line.

Just realizing that the Cinci/Wash game is in London and lineups need to be set by 9:30 EST. Great. Things are always complicated with Reed. Jeesh.

All indications are that Reed is playing, but you never know. Would be a shocker if he's inactive since all context cues point to Reed being Reed tmrw.

Would love to discard all my Reed plan Bs (Fleener, CJ Fied, Z. Miller) so I can attend to other issues in lineups, but feel like there's that 1% chance Gruden pulls a fast one tmrw morning.

And of course, I have a HWeen party that will keep me up late and makes early lineup decisions...questionable.

Anyone setting and forgetting Reed today? Would love to get the all clear signal today damn it.

It is now after 8:00 pm in London and it would be great if there was some kind of update on Reed and his status for tomorrow's game.

I just checked Twitter and didn't see anything new posted.  I will keep checking.

Why? He plays at 8:30.  We'll all be able to make an educated decision. 
6:30 for me. Which is when I'll be at the Redskins bar. Starting him over the Houston guy in one league. Benching for Graham in my other. When I drafted Graham as a backup in the 10th I said "he should be back to normal right when Reed gets another concision" :lol:  wait... :kicksrock:  

Anyone setting and forgetting Reed today?
Me and in many leagues.

He's good folks, for now anyway. There is nothing to worry about regarding him being active tomorrow. I mean we hear about players like Lynch having back spasms in warmups so anything can happen but going to take some out of the blue thing like that to happen. He got cleared by independent doctor before he ever got on that flight, unless you are sitting on Gronk or Olsen and can only start one TE put him in your lineup and sleep in.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Jordan Reed (concussion, questionable) is expected to play Week 8 against the Bengals.
As is Josh Norman (concussion, questionable). This is not a surprise after both traveled with the team to London, but it is good to get confirmation. Reed is a locked-in TE1 in a great matchup.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

The Redskins have four options at TE so not expecting much from Reed this year, but he looked good in his brief action against the Bills. Big body with good quickness. Definitely should be on all deep dynasty rosters (20+ players per team)
If you got 'em, smoke 'em. Reed's back in my lineup today. ??

What would you target in dynasty in a like-for-like swap? Eifert? Hunter Henry and a pick?

and a pick?  I dont think you could get Hunter Henry.

Maybe if the pick was with Reed for Henry.
Value change at all for you too? 

This isn't a troll or "told you so" posts (I don't do those). Serious. Now that he is back and balling like a beast, is it still smarter to trade him for a guy like Henry even if you have to throw in a pick? I' m back to holding. I just can't give those points up. 

This isn't a troll or "told you so" posts (I don't do those). Serious. Now that he is back and balling like a beast, is it still smarter to trade him for a guy like Henry even if you have to throw in a pick? I' m back to holding. I just can't give those points up. 
Value is same for me for both Henry and Reed. Reed is dominant and people overreacted saying he was done. I also think people overreacted to Henry being a TE1 right now, Gates was always going to cloud up his situation. But in terms of dynasty. I own both of them a lot,  in 3 different leagues I own both in same league and they are TE premium leagues. I still value Henry over Reed in dynasty, nothing for me changed on that over last 3 weeks.

Reed will remain a major injury risk, always. While I think people place to much emphasis on the number of concussions he has had what is an issue for him is he has shown he is prone to concussions and his last 3 have all required multi-week absences.  At some point the worry for me is not as much he gets up to number 7 or number 8 or whatever number but that he gets one he can't recover or the symptoms are so severe he's finally had enough-clearance or not. So for example he's a solid 5 years younger than Olsen which in dynasty would be huge as that's like half a career  or more but in his case I don't really see him that way as I can't sit here and truly feel confident he has that kind of career longevity.

That last line of you wrote is the huge key however and why I continue to take a gamble on him. Jordan Reed wins you leagues. When he suits up he's as much of a weekly difference maker as exists, at least in TE premium leagues.

Sebowski said:

With him seemingly coming back strong, in dynasty I would trade him for Henry straight up if I could work it out.

menobrown said:
That last line of you wrote is the huge key however and why I continue to take a gamble on him. Jordan Reed wins you leagues. When he suits up he's as much of a weekly difference maker as exists, at least in TE premium leagues.
Exactly.  Anyone who owns Reed in TE-prem, knows the difference he provides. If my team was a couple years away, then well sure I'd sell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Numbers were great but strongly aided by garbage time.  I'm very concerned with AC injury.  That isn't going to get better this year.  Could limit his snaps going forward.

Numbers were great but strongly aided by garbage time.  I'm very concerned with AC injury.  That isn't going to get better this year.  Could limit his snaps going forward.
Even if he's used in a more limited way (red zone and "chain moving" scenarios), the way that offence is performing currently, he's still a better gamble than most.

Users who are viewing this thread