What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jordan Reed - TE - SF (4 Viewers)

I'm stuck debating grabbing Davis or running Gates out there; otherwise picking up a CLE TE or something along those lines.  Of course the year I have Reed on my team he does this early in the season...

I'm stuck debating grabbing Davis or running Gates out there; otherwise picking up a CLE TE or something along those lines.  Of course the year I have Reed on my team he does this early in the season...
Why would this year be different just cause you own him. Reed goes down at some point every year.. about as certain as death and taxes

Last edited by a moderator:
If Reed doesn't play, does that make Vernon Davis playable over guys like Watson, Clay, etc.?
I can't imagine Watson or the Ravens will be able to maintain this pace they opened up with (against two very poor teams). 

I CAN see Vernon Davis, if he has the job to himself, doing well against the Raiders. They are TE fantasy-friendly. 

Polish Hammer said:
If he's available, try to grab Jared Cook of the Raiders.   If Reed can't go, Cook makes for a great play against the Redskins.   They've given up 90+ yards receiving  to TEs in both matchups (Ertz in Week 1, Everett in Week 2).   

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Jordan Reed (chest, shoulder, toe) will be a game-time decision.

Schefter says he is "more unlikely to play" than to suit up, but Washington will still take it to the wire. The good news for Reed owners is Vernon Davis is available in most leagues and a great fill-in option if Reed cannot play.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Didn't see anything from yesterday regarding his practice status.  Sucks too as he's a MNF play this week and likely another game time decision..?

Any smart Reed owner has Davis on their bench, so when he doesn't play you don't miss a beat. What will suck is if he's healthy enough to play but is on a limited snap count. Historically at least, when Reed can play he's a TE1. He had one of his best weeks last year playing through a sprained AC joint, going back into the game and dominating. He gets injured easily but he's not "soft" once he's injured, if that makes sense. 

What is worrisome is that he hasn't actually been a difference maker yet this year, so we haven't seen that he's even good to go from the toe injury he came into the season with. That sucks.

If he plays I think you're safe to assume he's a TE1.  The first game vs Philly the Eagles were destroying the Skins OL and all of Reeds targets were short little dinks.  It also appeared like Wash was trying to force feed Prior that game.  Week two he was seeing plenty of targets and then got injured.  

If Cousins really can produce like he did last week vs Oak AND Reed plays I'm willing to bet he puts up good numbers. 

Reed is certainly injury prone, but he's one of the toughest players in the NFL. What he did in the game last season after separating his shoulder was nothing short of astounding.

I suffered the same grade of separation in the same joint in high school & it was the most painful thing I've ever done to this day (when trying to play with it). I don't care if you shoot enough painkiller in there to put a horse to sleep & do cocaine on top of it, it's excruciatingly painful. Reed is one tough SOB.

Any smart Reed owner has Davis on their bench, so when he doesn't play you don't miss a beat. What will suck is if he's healthy enough to play but is on a limited snap count. Historically at least, when Reed can play he's a TE1. He had one of his best weeks last year playing through a sprained AC joint, going back into the game and dominating. He gets injured easily but he's not "soft" once he's injured, if that makes sense. 

What is worrisome is that he hasn't actually been a difference maker yet this year, so we haven't seen that he's even good to go from the toe injury he came into the season with. That sucks.
any smart owner has davis but if he plays and is limited-- those owners are in deep trouble... Makes sense 

any smart owner has davis but if he plays and is limited-- those owners are in deep trouble... Makes sense 

Then I went on to say that historically, when he plays he's startable, even if he's injured. 

Now to be fair, that post was kind of a stream of consciousness thing where I was just posting my thoughts. But if you read through to the end I think its clear where I stand--if he is active, start him. If he's not, you should have Davis to pop into your lineup if you're smart (unless you already had a better option play, I guess--but you probably had to draft Reed pretty high and there aren't a lot of great TE's this year yet).

You just picked up Kelce?
Yes. Here is why:

Reed plays on Monday night. Therefore the only way to cover for him in case he sits is to have someone playing in the same aforementioned Monday night game. I think Kelce can outscore Vernon Davis. Ergo my picking up of Kelce. I know what you’re going to say, but Nils Paul is already rostered. 

Yes. Here is why:

Reed plays on Monday night. Therefore the only way to cover for him in case he sits is to have someone playing in the same aforementioned Monday night game. I think Kelce can outscore Vernon Davis. Ergo my picking up of Kelce. I know what you’re going to say, but Nils Paul is already rostered. 
OK. Just thought it was weird that you would pick up a guy like Kelce. Seems like there are lots of better options out there.

ConnSKINS26 said:
Then I went on to say that historically, when he plays he's startable, even if he's injured. 

Now to be fair, that post was kind of a stream of consciousness thing where I was just posting my thoughts. But if you read through to the end I think its clear where I stand--if he is active, start him. If he's not, you should have Davis to pop into your lineup if you're smart (unless you already had a better option play, I guess--but you probably had to draft Reed pretty high and there aren't a lot of great TE's this year yet).
The way Davis looks, the smart move would be for the Skins to get Reed back to as close to full strength as possible

I'm allowed to back up with Davis, so I'm obviously starting Reed if he goes. You definitely risk him playing limited snaps or getting reinjured, but he's talented not to play when active. With no Berry, I like his chances. Hopefully the extra week has given his toe some time to heal (I know it's a lingering issue). 

I don't have Davis but I have Cook. Cook's matchup ain't great but I can't afford a zero on Monday night.
I feel like Cooks matchup is better than you think. I'm expecting him to be the primary today with Cooper having the gips and Crabtree probably out. Cooks over a part time Reed all day for me. 

But then again, ya never know in this stuff...

Did he even get a target in the 2nd half last night? 
Not that I saw and I'd guess most of his 13 snaps were in the first half. Maybe his pain meds wore off the longer the game went.

They did this with him last year as well, rushing him back when he's a shell of himself. Kind of dumb IMO to do with a bye week coming up and Vernon showing he's capable.

Just read tweet by Skins beat writer who confirmed Reed was on a pitch count(not re-injured) and that Gruden said "For Sure" he should be fully healed in week 6. 

Color me shocked! 

Ertz on bye and Reed out. Need to venture into the ugly, perverted world of Celek or James for the 2nd straight week. Christ. 

for a hamstring? He's the most frustrating player in the league to own.
They are totally out of the playoffs right now, and he's under contract long term.  Why risk him?  Give that roster spot to someone else so they can see what they have in that guy.

for a hamstring? He's the most frustrating player in the league to own.
Report I read a few weeks ago said he tore his hamstring when he tried to return the last time. Hamstrings can easily be 6+ week injuries, got Woodhead put on IR and two months later he still don't look quite right.

Then factor in both his toe and chest/shoulder injuries both of which are reportedly still lingering issues and it makes total sense  to shut him down.

It sucks and up until today I continued to hold out hope he'd atone for his sins and drop a big game week 15 or 16 when needed the most. As is he'll go down as my worst pick of the year by a mile.  One of the more frustrating guys to own for sure, but if price is right,and should be fairly cheap, I'll sign up for the ride again next year.

Redskins placed TE Jordan Reed on injured reserve with a hamstring injury, ending his season.

It's the only logical end to what was a lost 2017 for the would-be star tight end. Always injured, Reed was limited to a career-low six games. Reed reported to camp with a toe injury that had been bothering him since 2016. Things went downhill from there as he battled shoulder, chest and hamstring ailments, amongst others. When Reed was on the field during his age-27 campaign, he was ineffective, averaging a fullback-like 7.8 yards per catch. Signed through 2021, Reed will head into 2018 having averaged 10 games across five NFL seasons.

Source: Redskins on Twitter 

Dec 12 - 4:02 PM

Always amazes me to see people that drafted this eggshell in here being all surprised he was hurt and missed games. It's the same thing EVERY SINGLE YEAR.

Always amazes me to see people that drafted this eggshell in here being all surprised he was hurt and missed games. It's the same thing EVERY SINGLE YEAR.
No one is surprised he's hurt. We draft him because he puts up explosive weeks. Unfortunately, it only happened once this year.

Report I read a few weeks ago said he tore his hamstring when he tried to return the last time. Hamstrings can easily be 6+ week injuries, got Woodhead put on IR and two months later he still don't look quite right.

Then factor in both his toe and chest/shoulder injuries both of which are reportedly still lingering issues and it makes total sense  to shut him down.

It sucks and up until today I continued to hold out hope he'd atone for his sins and drop a big game week 15 or 16 when needed the most. As is he'll go down as my worst pick of the year by a mile.  One of the more frustrating guys to own for sure, but if price is right,and should be fairly cheap, I'll sign up for the ride again next year.
Agree, but the price is rarely right. 

Users who are viewing this thread