What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jordan Reed - TE - SF (2 Viewers)

I wouldn't expect more of the same going forward. As I mentioned, Jordan Reed is on pace to match or exceed the best marks for r/g and ypg by a rookie TE since 1980. He's basically performing at a Jeremy Shockey pace right now. I know that TE production is up across the entire league, but this is still a ridiculously high level of production for a rookie TE.

With that said, I do think 40 yards per game is a pretty achievable figure going forward. If you took his RoS numbers and pro-rated them to 16 games, I'd expect them to be about the equivalent to a 60/640/6 type season. Solid starter, not a huge difference-maker.
You know I love you SSOG, but have some issues with your take.

He isnt just a "TE". He is as much a WR once the ball is snapped. Particularly for Washington.

He is literally the lightest TE in the fantasy top 35 of TEs.

1. 25 = 33% (38 yards/6 targets)
  2. 29 = 48% (18 yards/3 targets)
  3. 30 = 39% (50 yards/6targets)
  4. Inactive
  5. Bye Date
  6. 55 = 71% (58 yards/6targets)
  7. 00 =000 (134 yards/9 targets)
>>> Removing his best game >>> 164 yards in 4 games played is 41 yards per contest and playing only 47.75% of the snaps. Now if he plays 80% of the snaps? Think about that. You said 40 ypg?

To me it would seem very odd for his play to increase (which it is) and his targets (and thus opportunities) to decrease below what he did in limited play time.
:goodposting:

I'm guessing a big part of why rookie TEs have a history of struggling offensively is that they have to worry about developing their blocking game in addition to working on their receiving assignments. Reed apparently doesn't have to worry about the blocking game at all, just like Aaron Hernandez didn't. So I can see Reed having a very successful rookie campaign just like Aaron Hernandez did, especially considering Reed is on pace for a lot more targets than Hernandez got in his rookie season.

>>> Removing his best game >>> 164 yards in 4 games played is 41 yards per contest and playing only 47.75% of the snaps. Now if he plays 80% of the snaps? Think about that. You said 40 ypg?
To me it would seem very odd for his play to increase (which it is) and his targets (and thus opportunities) to decrease below what he did in limited play time.
Where are you getting the snap count data? I thought he was in on over 50% of the offensive snaps most weeks.

Where are you getting the snap count data? I thought he was in on over 50% of the offensive snaps most weeks.
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/snapcounts

Jordan Reed offensive snap counts:

Week 1: 33%

Week 2: 48%

Week 3: 39%

Week 4/5: Injured/Bye Week

Week 6: 71%

Week 7 data isn't up yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a Gronk Jordan Reed owner I feel now is the time I should try to move Reed I don't think his value could be any higher. If I were to deal him what value should I expect to receive back in a deal. To me if I'm gonna deal him I have to do it this wk!

As a Gronk Jordan Reed owner I feel now is the time I should try to move Reed I don't think his value could be any higher. If I were to deal him what value should I expect to receive back in a deal. To me if I'm gonna deal him I have to do it this wk!
FWIW, I was in the same situation in a 1 TE start league (no flex) and opted to trade Gronk.

FWIW, I was in the same situation in a 1 TE start league (no flex) and opted to trade Gronk.
Wow don't think I could trade the more proven player

big time upgrade at two IDP and two firsts helped make the decision.

if I can get Reed off waivers I am going to promptly try to trade Witten for a RB.

He should be the #1 option on this team going forward.
I think he will be, unless other teams decided to alter their usual coverage schemes to give him extra attention. LB's just can't cover him, and his moves get him open when he's covered well initially. Most other teams haven't caught on to him yet.

The guy's getting better week to week. You can see it on the field. If his injuries don't slow him down I don't think anything else will. Griffin looks for him a lot.

Thought on playing @ Denver as a matchup?
It's definitely a plus match-up. This is what they've given up to TEs by team..

BAL - 8/100

NYG - 8/86/0

OAK - 2/21/0

PHI - 6/107/0

DAL - 9/150/1

JAC - 2/29/0

IND - 6/45/1

It looks like the middle is very exploitable. Clark, Myers, Witten, Fleener and to a lesser extent Celek all had good games versus them.

Is Reed better than what Finley was in the GB offense? He is a bigger mismatch problem than Finley?
That's hard to answer, for me. What Finley could be - and was for flashes - is likely on another level, due to his physical gifts. That said, I think Reed is a much more natural receiver and will prove to be a bigger mismatch than Finley. Reed is a much better football mind, and knows where to be to help his QB; something Finley has struggled with. Reed has better hands and is a more fluid route runner. Reed is quicker. Finley is bigger, stronger, faster.

Is Reed better than what Finley was in the GB offense? He is a bigger mismatch problem than Finley?
That's hard to answer, for me. What Finley could be - and was for flashes - is likely on another level, due to his physical gifts. That said, I think Reed is a much more natural receiver and will prove to be a bigger mismatch than Finley. Reed is a much better football mind, and knows where to be to help his QB; something Finley has struggled with. Reed has better hands and is a more fluid route runner. Reed is quicker. Finley is bigger, stronger, faster.
Exactly. Finely chronically squandered blatant potential but the differences between him and Reed are like night and day. It's akin to Hernandez vs. Gronk if Gronk had stone hands.

He should be the #1 option on this team going forward.
Ahead of le Garcon?

This was something of a shootout. Hard to replicate that situation. I'd be more impressed with a 100 yard 1 TD game in say a normal 27-20 ball game.
As far as the Redskins offense goes, it was really more of a "scorefest" than a shootout (to me, shootout = pass, pass, pass, then pass some more) . Griffin attempted the fewest number of passes this week than he has in any game this year and the offense had 14 more rushing attempts than passing attempts (43 to 29). And that's the type of end-game stats the Shanahan's would like every week. It's what they did regularly during their winning streak last year, and not surprisingly, their 2 wins this year are the only games they've been able to run more than pass.

If anything, the "hard to replicate" part of Reed's game this week may be his reception/target percentage. I can easily see his targets/game stay in the 7-9 range but he certainly won't be catching 100% of his targets every week.

For laughs...

In my PPR league, Reed got 28, my opponent had Peyton--who only got 25
I'm in a league with HUGE TE premiums (1.5 PPR, 0.15 points per yard), and Jordan Reed was the highest scoring player last week, regardless of position. The only non-TEs to post a higher score in any game this year are Peyton Manning (his 7-TD week 1 performance), Tony Romo (his 500 yard game against Denver), and Antonio Brown (his near-200 yard game against the Bears).

I wouldn't expect more of the same going forward. As I mentioned, Jordan Reed is on pace to match or exceed the best marks for r/g and ypg by a rookie TE since 1980. He's basically performing at a Jeremy Shockey pace right now. I know that TE production is up across the entire league, but this is still a ridiculously high level of production for a rookie TE.

With that said, I do think 40 yards per game is a pretty achievable figure going forward. If you took his RoS numbers and pro-rated them to 16 games, I'd expect them to be about the equivalent to a 60/640/6 type season. Solid starter, not a huge difference-maker.

He isnt just a "TE". He is as much a WR once the ball is snapped. Particularly for Washington.

4. Inactive
  5. Bye Date

I still like my 40ypg projection going forward. I think people overrate the predictive power of a small sample of games to begin the season, and underrate the predictive power of historical norms.

4. Inactive
  5. Bye Date

I'm guessing a big part of why rookie TEs have a history of struggling offensively is that they have to worry about developing their blocking game in addition to working on their receiving assignments. Reed apparently doesn't have to worry about the blocking game at all, just like Aaron Hernandez didn't. So I can see Reed having a very successful rookie campaign just like Aaron Hernandez did, especially considering Reed is on pace for a lot more targets than Hernandez got in his rookie season.
As a rookie, Aaron Hernandez averaged... 3.2 receptions and 40.2 yards per game. Pretty much bang-on what I was predicting for Reed going forward.

Also, it wasn't a case of Hernandez getting better as the season went on. Through 5 games, Hernandez had 22 receptions for 301 yards (Reed, by comparison, has 26 for 298). The rest of the way, Hernandez averaged 2.5 receptions for 29 yards.

4. Inactive
  5. Bye Date

As a rookie, Aaron Hernandez averaged... 3.2 receptions and 40.2 yards per game. Pretty much bang-on what I was predicting for Reed going forward.

Also, it wasn't a case of Hernandez getting better as the season went on. Through 5 games, Hernandez had 22 receptions for 301 yards (Reed, by comparison, has 26 for 298). The rest of the way, Hernandez averaged 2.5 receptions for 29 yards.
Dollars to donuts, I doubt Hernandez's snap count % during his rookie year would even approach what Reed's will for the rest of the season.

Top NFL Rookie of Week Seven: Washington Redskins' TE Jordan Reed

By Rob Rang | The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com

October 22, 2013 8:57 pm ET

ach Tuesday of the NFL season NFLDraftScout.com Senior Analyst Rob Rang will identify his Rookie of the Week. To qualify, the first-year professional player must have played a significant role in a competitive NFL game, demonstrating not just flashes of talent but the potential to emerge as a legitimate long-term standout. The player's draft status -- whether as a former first round pick or undrafted free agent -- does not apply.

NFL Rookie of Week Six: Washington Redskins' TE Jordan ReedFor a draft class that many characterized as lacking in top talent, a number of rookies continue to perform well week in and week out. Jets' rookie quarterback Geno Smith out-dueled Tom Brady. Eddie Lacy continued to look like a missing piece to a formidable and well-balanced offense in Green Bay. San Diego Chargers' first round pick D.J. Fluker did precisely what many said he couldn't - play well at left tackle - when pressed to switch sides due to injuries in his team's victory over Jacksonville. Losing the game and their quarterback Sam Bradford to injury made Week Six a tough one for the St. Louis Rams, but a silver lining was the play of rookie running back Zac Stacy, who contributed 87 all-purpose yards and scored the first touchdown of his NFL career.

For the second week in a row, however, it was a big-play tight end who stole the spotlight as Washington's Jordan Reed proved a difference-maker in the Redskins' 45-41 shootout win over Chicago Bears.

Reed had emerged in recent weeks as a dependable target for Robert Griffin III, hauling in at least three passes in all four of the games in which he was healthy enough to play. He missed Week Four against the Oakland Raiders due to a quadriceps contusion.

That said, he took his game to another level against the Bears, more than doubling his previous career highs with nine receptions for 134 yards, including hauling in a touchdown from Griffin with just :27 seconds remaining to give Washington a 24-17 halftime lead.

If Reed's statline isn't impressive enough, consider the trust that the Washington coaches have already placed in the rookie. Because of the dependability the No. 85 overall pick of the 2013 draft has demonstrated in his early career, the Redskins elected to make incumbent starting tight end Fred Davis a healthy inactive for this contest.

Head coach Mike Shanahan and his son, offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan have long utilized athletic mismatches as featured elements in their West Coast Offenses. As such, the 6-foot-2, 236-pound Reed is an ideal fit for their scheme. Quick enough off the snap to pose problems for linebackers and too big for most defensive backs to handle one on one, Reed is a perfect example of the "moveable chess pieces" NFL teams are finding so en vogue in today's pass-happy offenses.

Reed demonstrated his versatility throughout this contest, catching his touchdown on a fade while split out wide but also catching other passes from the traditional tight end formation as well as inside in the slot.

It wasn't just how he got open but how efficiently he took advantage of his opportunities that saved the day for Washington.

The rookie from Florida caught all nine passes thrown to him in this contest. He was clearly a focal point of Washington's strategy, catching two of Griffin's first three passes. Two of his most critical receptions came on the Redskins' game-winning drive, a 26-yard completion up the seam to put the ball at midfield and a 10-yarder on third-and-four that placed the ball on the three-yard line with less than a minute remaining. Veteran running back Roy Helu, Jr. ran the ball in for the game-winning score seconds later.

Highly athletic and possessing both sticky hands and excellent hand-eye coordination, Reed is a perfect fit in this offense. He's clearly gained Griffin's trust. Considering the quarterback's ability to attack defenses with his legs, linebackers and safeties must be aware of Griffin's willingness to scramble. As such, doubling Reed is nearly schematic suicide. As such, expect the rookie tight end to continue to flourish.

4. Inactive
  5. Bye Date

I bolded a non-trivial statement from my last post. Hernandez was targeted 64 times in his rookie season; Jordan Reed would have to average under 3.5 targets a game for the rest of the season to finish the year with that few targets. Barring some type of injury, I don't see that being a likely scenario, particularly considering Reed has gotten 6 or more targets in 4 of 5 games he's played and his snap count has been on the rise since the season started, albeit unevenly.

I'm all for the predictive power of historical norms, but when dealing with a player who is a TE in name only, like Jordan Reed is, which is something that's really only started to happen in very recent times, I think it's incongruous to compare Reed to past TEs and I'd even say it may be more appropriate to compare him to past WRs. So although the comparison to Hernandez works great, he's really just about the only 'TE' I can think of who played the kind of role that Reed is currently playing in his respective rookie season, which obviously isn't much of a sample size to be making historical comparisons.

4. Inactive
  5. Bye Date

I bolded a non-trivial statement from my last post. Hernandez was targeted 64 times in his rookie season; Jordan Reed would have to average under 3.5 targets a game for the rest of the season to finish the year with that few targets. Barring some type of injury, I don't see that being a likely scenario, particularly considering Reed has gotten 6 or more targets in 4 of 5 games he's played and his snap count has been on the rise since the season started, albeit unevenly.

I'm all for the predictive power of historical norms, but when dealing with a player who is a TE in name only, like Jordan Reed is, which is something that's really only started to happen in very recent times, I think it's incongruous to compare Reed to past TEs and I'd even say it may be more appropriate to compare him to past WRs. So although the comparison to Hernandez works great, he's really just about the only 'TE' I can think of who played the kind of role that Reed is currently playing in his respective rookie season, which obviously isn't much of a sample size to be making historical comparisons.
My initial impulse was to bring up Jimmy Graham, but... Here's something from the above article:

Head coach Mike Shanahan and his son, offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan have long utilized athletic mismatches as featured elements in their West Coast Offenses. As such, the 6-foot-2, 236-pound Reed is an ideal fit for their scheme. Quick enough off the snap to pose problems for linebackers and too big for most defensive backs to handle one on one ...
And that made me think maybe we have seen this before:

Shannon Sharpe, 6'2", 228.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SharSh00.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SharSh00/gamelog/

And he of course played for who else, Shanny, and absolutely tore it up. One game he went 12/214/2 and had multiple 100+ yard games in his career. Today he has a HOF jacket.

Considering rolling him out over Jordan Cameron this week with the match up. I know Jason Campbell is a check down machine and will target Cameron a bit too. I like the match up vs Denver though

Considering rolling him out over Jordan Cameron this week with the match up. I know Jason Campbell is a check down machine and will target Cameron a bit too. I like the match up vs Denver though
This is why I like flex. Starting both where I have them both (over nicks) and Reed in all 3 leagues I own him in.

I'm in the same boat...I think I'm going to give Reed a go because of the match-ups. I just don't trust that Browns offense vs. the Chiefs.

I don't know if Reed is a week in week out starter for fantasy, but I sure do love his matchup this week.

4. Inactive
  5. Bye Date

You raise a lot of good points which are inarguably true. The problem is that, for any given player, there are always reasons why they will be the one to completely defy history. With the benefit of hindsight, it's easy to see why those reasons were wrong or misleading. Defying history is hard, even for "TEs-in-name-only" like Reed.

At the end of the day, there are a whole range of possibilities surrounding Jordan Reed. He could go for 70 yards a game from here on out and finish the season with 1,000 yards. He could get injured tomorrow and finish the season with 300 yards. He could finish anywhere in between. Some of these outcomes are more likely than some of the others, but once you weight and average them all, I think my current projection (season-ending stat line of around 64 receptions and 710 yards) is extremely reasonable. We're talking season-ending numbers in the Owen Daniels, Jermaine Gresham, Dennis Pitta range (despite missing a game!) Even if you think the "TE" part of "Rookie TE" doesn't mean much, surely the "rookie" part still does.

I've also found that it's very dangerous projecting players after a huge "breakout" game. I think people overrate the predictive power of a big game. Right now, Reed is on pace for 78/890, but no player's pace is ever higher than it is after his career game. That's going to regress some. Jordan Reed is the 41st rookie since 1995 to go over 130 receiving yards in a game. Here are the most recent (not counting Reed and Terrance Williams, whose games came this year), along with their totals in their big game, and their per-game stats excluding their big game.

Justin Blackmon - 7/236, 3.8/41.9 per game

Michael Floyd - 8/166, 2.5/26.4 per game

Denarius Moore - 5/146, 2.3/39.3 per game

Torrey Smith - 5/152, 3.8/45.9 per game

Greg Little - 5/131, 3.7/37.9 per game

Jahvid Best - 9/154, injured

Jordan Shipley - 6/131, 3.3/33.5 per game

Jacoby Ford - 6/148, 1.3/21.5 per game

Mohammad Massaquoi - 8/148, 1.7/31.8 per game

Jeremy Maclin - 6/142, 3.6/45.1 per game

Donnie Avery - 6/163, 3.4/36.5 per game

Eddie Royal - 9/146, 5.9/59.6 per game

Eddie Royal - 6/164, 6.1/58.3 per game (he did it twice)

Dwayne Bowe - 8/164, 4.1/55.4 per game

Anthony Gonzalez - 6/134, 2.6/36.9 per game

I got bored of going back after that. The next entry would have been Colston, who would have obviously blown away the pack (he had three 130+ yard games), and the remaining rookies were Reggie Bush, Hank Baskett, Roy Williams, Michael Clayton (twice), Boldin, Boerigter, Antonio Bryant, Rod Gardner (joins Boldin, Blackmon, and Eddie Kennison as the only rookies in the sample with a 200 yard game), Coles, Kevin Johnson (twice), Marty Booker, Randy Moss (three times), Oronde Gadsden, and Eddie Kennison. Even comparing Reed to his rookie WR peers, it seems that 4/40 is a pretty fair projection going forward. Sometimes, a big game was an indicator that a rookie was the next Eddie Royal or Dwayne Bowe. Most of the time, it was an indication that he was the next Anthony Gonzalez or Torrey Smith.

Finally, coming at this from another angle, Jordan Reed's 6 targets per game rank 14th among TEs this year. His 10 yards per target is matched only by Jimmy Graham and Vernon Davis. WRs in the 10 ypt range include Desean Jackson, Torrey Smith, Eric Decker, Demaryius Thomas, Jordy Nelson, and Julio Jones- so, basically, either be the best deep threat in the league, play with the best quarterback in the league, or both. Reed's targets per game will likely increase, yes, but his efficiency per target is going to decrease at the same time.

Adding it all together, I think 40 yards per game from here on out is a very reasonable EV for Reed. He could easily exceed it (in fact, if we simulated the season 1,000 times, we should expect him to exceed it pretty frequently), and I know this is a hype thread, but that seems a very fair and reasonable target for us to peg our expectations.

Jordan Reed will 'scare the hell out of' Ds, Jaws saysBy Marc Sessler

Around the League Writer

It's been a good week for Jordan Reed.

The Redskins rookie tight end popped off the screen during Washington's 45-41 win over the Bears on Sunday, catching nine passes for 134 yards and a touchdown against a Chicago defense that couldn't keep up.

We examined Reed's handiwork in this week's Game Rewind Takeaways, and the Redskins see enough in the first-year pro to turn veteran tight end Fred Davis into trade bait, according to NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport.

Reed showed fine chemistry with Robert Griffin III, who made some of his best throws to the young tight end against Chicago. Reed exhibits a knack for splitting coverage and creating windows for his quarterback. ESPN's Ron Jaworski gushed over Reed's play after watching the tape.

"The guy will be sensational," Jaws said, per ESPN.com. "He's one of the guys that jumps off the tape at you. I like to use the word 'flash.' We saw a little bit of it earlier this season but clearly against Chicago I saw a lot more of it.

"We were talking here, he reminded us on the field of an Aaron Hernandez," Jaworski said. "He has that kind of wide receiver movement for a big guy. This guy is going to scare the hell out of defenses. They can't load up the box when you have the ability to get him down the field matched against linebackers and safeties. That's a mismatch. He has a chance to be really good. We talk about splash plays; the splash plays against Chicago came from him."

It hasn't been a pretty season for the Redskins, but after 2012 sixth-round draft pick Alfred Morris emerged as a wunderkind in the backfield last season, Washington has hit the jackpot again.

Reed was passed over twice by every team in the league until the Redskins grabbed him in the third round of April's draft. If Washington plans to make another late-season push, as they did last year, expect Reed to play a major role.

We previewed every Week 8 game in the latest "Around The League Podcast."

All aboard! Ha ha ha ha ha ha haaaa!

Ay, Ay, Ay, Ay, Ay, Ay, Ay

Crazy, but that's how it goes

Millions of people living as foes

Maybe it's not too late

To learn how to love

And forget how to hate

Mental wounds not healing

Life's a bitter shame

I'm going off the rails on a crazy train

I'm going off the rails on a crazy train

Let's Go!

Might want to keep an eye out for another injury. I saw him take himself out on WAS's second to last drive and I'm not sure if he ever came back in.

Might want to keep an eye out for another injury. I saw him take himself out on WAS's second to last drive and I'm not sure if he ever came back in.
He was in on the last drive -- he dropped the ball which led to the last INT.

If he would've made that catch he would've been over 100 yds for the day.

He was in on the last drive -- he dropped the ball which led to the last INT.If he would've made that catch he would've been over 100 yds for the day.
Didn't see that play, but he has a good game even with apparently one bad play. Clearly a top target for Griffin

Two drops but several nice catches. Their passing offense runs best when running through him in my opinion.

He was in on the last drive -- he dropped the ball which led to the last INT.If he would've made that catch he would've been over 100 yds for the day.
Didn't see that play, but he has a good game even with apparently one bad play. Clearly a top target for Griffin
And Cousins was targeting him like crazy as well.

He took himself out at least twice today for brief periods of time.

By the way I did pay attention to his blocking on one play which was run wide to his side. He held his block 6-8 yards downfield and looked above-average. But that's one play only. I know he has a reputation as "can't block" but has anyone else actually watched how he blocks this year?

What is Reed's value? I've really only seen the last couple of games from him, he looks good...worth a late rookie 1st?
Worth more than that.
Depends on starting lineup. If you can start more than one TE, he's worth a mid to high first. If you start 1 TE and 2-3 RB, 3-4 WR, then a late first might be okay but I'd still want more.

Where did Eifert get drafted in your league? Reed is worth a little more than that now. 2014 appears to be a Better year for rookies but reed is proven.

Users who are viewing this thread