Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
belljr

Game of Thrones, tv only, books don't exist, no backstory

EC has to get over it.  Keeps trying to relive her GOT fame.  Unfortunately for her she has probably peaked professionally.

Peaked by a mountain

On 11/21/2019 at 11:08 AM, The Dude said:

EC has to get over it.  Keeps trying to relive her GOT fame.  Unfortunately for her she has probably peaked professionally.

Peaked by a mountain

Where's this coming from?

On 10/30/2019 at 11:56 AM, TLEF316 said:

For the hardcore fans of the show? Sure.

For the unwashed masses that made it a megahit (and weren't really all that turned off by the ending)....they'll tune in for the big splashy stuff.  

I'm talking about the people who don't know most of the characters names.

If anyone watched this show for the last decade, they know enough names.

So many larger than life characters developed and so many story lines with each.

Even if they don't remember off the top of their heads names like Joffrey or Ygritte.. they can tell you these stories.

Edited by matuski

1 hour ago, KarmaPolice said:

Where's this coming from?

I can't figure it out either.  Emilia Clarke is about the most likable celebrity in the world (Tom Hanks and her are 1a and 1b) and doesn't shy away from GoT or her role on it, which she gets asked about constantly.  As for peaking professionally, I would say it safe to say that most of the major actors on that show will never equal or top their GoT role, so that is not necessarily a bad thing.  I would definitely concede that Clarke is certainly a bit of a mark for her GoT character, as she clearly gets a big kick out of "Khaleesi" or "bend the knee" references, but I think that's just her personality.  She is adorably hilarious and silly and has no problem playing along with the references for the fun of it.  In a world of people who take themselves too seriously, her relaxed, down-to-earth attitude is a breath of fresh air. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ghost Rider said:

I can't figure it out either.  Emilia Clarke is about the most likable celebrity in the world (Tom Hanks and her are 1a and 1b) and doesn't shy away from GoT or her role on it, which she gets asked about constantly.  As for peaking professionally, I would say it safe to say that most of the major actors on that show will never equal or top their GoT role, so that is not necessarily a bad thing.  I would definitely concede that Clarke is certainly a bit of a mark for her GoT character, as she clearly gets a big kick out of "Khaleesi" or "bend the knee" references, but I think that's just her personality.  She is adorably hilarious and silly and has no problem playing along with the references for the fun of it.  In a world of people who take themselves too seriously, her relaxed, down-to-earth attitude is a breath of fresh air. 

💯 

• Like 1

My comment is in that she is now reliving her challenges with nude scenes - which I am sympathetic too - but time to move on career wise.  Time to talk about the present - but she has like nothing going in the present

21 minutes ago, The Dude said:

My comment is in that she is now reliving her challenges with nude scenes - which I am sympathetic too - but time to move on career wise.  Time to talk about the present - but she has like nothing going in the present

She is only reliving it because in her PRESENT projects, she says she is pressured for nudity because of her GoT past.

She doesn't seem to be the one with issues moving on.

Edited by matuski

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

I've seen her on shows and listened to a couple podcasts - and she is willing to talk about GOT b/c that is what people want to ask about, but also talks about her upcoming movie (Last Christmas, I think?) and her desire to get back to theater which is more of a passion for it seems.  

Except for a film that is doing well at the box office so far this month (top 5 its first two weeks), right? 

She was just in Solo last year. That was a huge movie. Maybe she’s just taking a break. 

23 hours ago, The Dude said:

You mean answering the questions she was recently asked specifically about them on Dax podcast?

She didn't just come out of the blue complaining :shrug:

And she has a movie that just came out, has been doing plays and just ended another movie....

:unsure:

• Like 1

On 5/19/2019 at 10:49 PM, OrtonToOlsen said:

The Wire is definitely one of the top 5 series ever.

Probably more like definitely one of the top 1 series ever. 

• Like 1

Regarding EC, I don’t see actors promoting a new movie by talking about scenes they did ten years ago.  

Move on

Was she asked a question about GOT, or did she bring it up?  I would assume that if she would refuse to talk about GOT stuff, she would be labeled as a #####.  

I thought it was interesting when I heard the Dax pod what she was talking about with the first S1 of GOT stuff and how actors, especially for first roles, might not know 100% what they signed up for or how to handle those situations.  :shrug:

2 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Gimmie that Lagavulin. Its good to be a Lannister.

:thumbup:

big Lannister fan, still.

who will drink Greyjoy?

What is drunk may never die

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1

12 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

What is drunk may never die

OMG I'm eternal!

I feel like this show went from the most important piece of pop culture maybe ever to a complete non factor in the span of a year. That’s crazy. I was fully invested, I still have a House Stark flag hanging in my office, and I can’t even begin to think about it without getting angry/depressed. What a bummer. 

Edited by bigmarc27
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, bigmarc27 said:

I feel like this show went from the most important piece of pop culture maybe ever to a complete non factor in the span of a year. That’s crazy. I was fully invested, I still have a House Stark flag hanging in my office, and I can’t even begin to think about it without getting angry/depressed. What a bummer. 

need to get over it, most shows endings suck.....GOT is a good as it gets.

On 10/30/2019 at 11:32 AM, KarmaPolice said:

If this was the case, why was it so wildly popular for the first few years? I would argue great characters and dialogue, not zombies and dragons.  So the safest bet might actually to give a #### about those 2 things again and get away from the zombie kidnapping quests.  

if only the fat man had finished the books, I mean its been what? since 2011 for the dance of dragons?

People think Sam was Martin inserting himself in the story. Really, I think he was Ramsey. "If you think this has a happy ending, you aren't paying attention".

5 minutes ago, IrishTwinkie said:

People think Sam was Martin inserting himself in the story. Really, I think he was Ramsey. "If you think this has a happy ending, you aren't paying attention".

FTFY.  

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1

On 2/11/2020 at 2:26 PM, otb_lifer said:

who will drink Greyjoy?

My money would be on Renly or Loras...or both :loco:

7 hours ago, bigmarc27 said:

Absolutely agree here. Show ended and that was it. There was no more discussion. It’s like the world collectively just agreed to quickly move on so as not to dwell on it. 

It’s sort of like how I just pretended the Hobbit movies never happened. 

• Like 2

Even if the show had stuck the landing, I’m not sure there’d be more buzz about it at this point. What’s left to talk about?  Is there another example of a show that continued to dominate pop culture a year after the series finale?

1 hour ago, thecatch said:

Even if the show had stuck the landing, I’m not sure there’d be more buzz about it at this point. What’s left to talk about?  Is there another example of a show that continued to dominate pop culture a year after the series finale?

Seinfeld.  NTTAWWT

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, D-Day said:

Seinfeld.  NTTAWWT

Seinfeld, Friends, Sopranos, Breaking Bad, etc...  

I feel like if they landed the ending, people would be scouring for leaks of every single prequel or offshoot that may come out. Instead, the only news is that one was cancelled and it doesn’t seem like anyone was too upset. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigmarc27 said:

I feel like if they landed the ending, people would be scouring for leaks of every single prequel or offshoot that may come out. Instead, the only news is that one was cancelled and it doesn’t seem like anyone was too upset. 

This.

This was my favorite show of all time and had they not blown the ending I'd be counting the hours until the spin-offs.

Now...meh

• Like 2

Why would anybody talk about a show like this anymore when we have stuff like The Stranger to talk about??

Has a top show ever missed the landing that badly? People generally didn’t like the Seinfeld finale but at least it held true to the show. This one they may as well of had the whole thing been a dream after Danny got plowed by Drogo. 

• Like 1

Just now, fruity pebbles said:

Has a top show ever missed the landing that badly? People generally didn’t like the Seinfeld finale but at least it held true to the show. This one they may as well of had the whole thing been a dream after Danny got plowed by Drogo. 

Seinfeld was never predicated on having a real ending. Most episodes were independent of each other, their were no multi year long plots that needed resolving. Maybe some wanted Jerry and Elaine to get together but that was pretty unlikely. 

20 hours ago, Trey said:

Absolutely agree here. Show ended and that was it. There was no more discussion. It’s like the world collectively just agreed to quickly move on so as not to dwell on it. 

It’s sort of like how I just pretended the Hobbit movies never happened. 

I wonder if in 5-10 years we get it rebooted as a movie trilogy, promising an ending the story deserves. 

14 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Seinfeld was never predicated on having a real ending. Most episodes were independent of each other, their were no multi year long plots that needed resolving. Maybe some wanted Jerry and Elaine to get together but that was pretty unlikely. 

True. This wasn’t even a hard ending to write. The parts were all there. There were dozens of fan endings that would have been ten times better than this one. The ending we got was written by a third grader. 

• Like 2

On 2/21/2020 at 7:49 AM, bigmarc27 said:

It is truly amazing how quickly it fell. There’s no way I wouldn’t have watched it again at least once if it had ended well. It wouldn’t have taken much to end well.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, fruity pebbles said:

True. This wasn’t even a hard ending to write. The parts were all there. There were dozens of fan endings that would have been ten times better than this one. The ending we got was written by a third grader. 

That’s why it was so sad. That one YouTube of the writers and studio meeting was a perfect wrap up of all the screw ups. Dragons are no match for Scorpions. Scorpions are no match for a dragon.

An ending would have been easy. I just wish the show folks didn’t think we cared more about Cersei and Jamie more than the WWs. It caused so many issues to make that the climax. The WWs decimated the north/Dany’s army and then voila, the biggest army is back.

39 minutes ago, stbugs said:

That’s why it was so sad. That one YouTube of the writers and studio meeting was a perfect wrap up of all the screw ups. Dragons are no match for Scorpions. Scorpions are no match for a dragon.

An ending would have been easy. I just wish the show folks didn’t think we cared more about Cersei and Jamie more than the WWs. It caused so many issues to make that the climax. The WWs decimated the north/Dany’s army and then voila, the biggest army is back.

It sucks because I read the books and they honestly did a pretty amazing job adapting the source material.  Once that ran out, they just picked the most direct and incoherent route to finishing. It’s really unfortunate and I blame obviously the writers, but Martin as well for sitting on his fat ### for the past decade. Stephen King could have put out 9 books in the same amount of time. 

• Like 4

That Lost finale was loved by everyone, if I recall. 

;) 

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

I definitely cared more about Cersei and Jamie and than the WWs. That said, how they resolved both of those groups was really disappointing. 

28 minutes ago, joey said:

That Lost finale was loved by everyone, if I recall. 

;) 

Who cares about Lost?

1 hour ago, bigmarc27 said:

Who cares about Lost?

Sorry to interrupt this super serious discussion about disappointing finales with a light hearted joke. 

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

4 hours ago, fruity pebbles said:

Dexter. 

The Game of Thrones ending wasn't great, but wasn't as terrible as many think.  It was merely "good." 

14 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

Dexter. 

The Game of Thrones ending wasn't great, but wasn't as terrible as many think.  It was merely "good." 

It sucked but you’re right Dexter may have even been worse. Dexter wasn’t on the level GOT was on though.

1 hour ago, fruity pebbles said:

It sucked but you’re right Dexter may have even been worse. Dexter wasn’t on the level GOT was on though.

Right, Dexter was a well liked show but GoT was a phenomenon. It’s like if Return of the Jedi ended with C3PO killing Vader in a sneak attack and then Luke joining the Dark Side with the Emperor to wipe out Han, Leia and Chewie. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Right, Dexter was a well liked show but GoT was a phenomenon. It’s like if Return of the Jedi ended with C3PO killing Vader in a sneak attack and then Luke joining the Dark Side with the Emperor to wipe out Han, Leia and Chewie. 

In!!!😀

7 minutes ago, dutch said:

In!!!😀

It would totally suck. Seriously. 🤮XWings clearly can't fly that fast. Completely unbelievable. 

37 minutes ago, dutch said:

In!!!😀

Oh and then Luke and the Emperor die when a fire breaks out in the Death Star laundromat that spreads to the thermal exhaust port that leads to the reactor system. 

On 2/21/2020 at 5:51 PM, bigmarc27 said:

seinfeld and sopranos ending sucked