What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Tom Brady, TB (1 Viewer)

NFL Media's Jim Trotter reports the Chargers believe they are out of the running for Tom Brady.

Brady's camp reportedly has "led the Chargers to believe he is going to stay back East because of family considerations." It's a significant report because it limits Brady's choices to just a handful of teams. The frontrunner at this point seems like the Buccaneers because they've expressed public interest in him and we know there's been contact between the two parties, but it's still just a waiting game and Tampa Bay isn't exactly close to home if proximity is important to him.

RELATED: 

New England Patriots

, Los Angeles Chargers

, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

SOURCE: Jim Trotter on Twitter

Mar 17, 2020, 6:05 PM ET

BREAKING: Buccaneers expected landing spot for Tom Brady, per Adam Schefter via ESPN

ESPN's Adam Schefter confirms free agent Tom Brady is expected to sign with the Buccaneers.

"There's no signing date or announcement officially set up, but Brady is expected to be a Buccaneer," Schefter reported. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport piggybacked with a report that Brady is expected to fetch "roughly" $30 million per season. It's possible there is a mystery team or two, but with the Patriots out of the running and Brady believed to have ruled out the Chargers, the Bucs are the only game in town for the NFL icon. It should become official some time within the next 24 hours, and likely as early as Tuesday evening.
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-POoS817ZuuU/VrOhQTNyYNI/AAAAAAACsEk/PUVAbsSnuxc/s1600/118%2B-%2Bjack_swagger%2Bshock%2Bwwe.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Bucs agreed to terms with QB Tom Brady, formerly of the Patriots.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport the deal is worth roughly $30 million per season. It is likely a two-year pact. Bruce Arians is the coach and Byron Leftwich is the play-caller, but as was the case with Peyton Manning in Denver, Brady should mostly be installing his own system. Frenetic down-field passing to Mike Evans and Chris Godwin will likely be a thing of the past. Brady focuses on hyper efficiency setting up his deep shots. His arm appeared noticeably worse in 2019, but an awful supporting cast, especially down the field, made it difficult to say for sure. Brady still rated as Pro Football Focus' 11th most effective deep passer. Brady's yards per attempt, meanwhile, was his lowest since 2002. Brady will be 43 in Week 1. There's a chance this provides a bigger boost to the ticket office than on-field product.

RELATED: 

New England Patriots

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Mar 17, 2020, 7:06 PM ET

That’s how irrelevant the Bucs were until today. People didn’t even know the QB they’re replacing is a free agent.  Thanks, Tom. 

Why not. I’m a homer but the team is relatively stocked. Went 7-9 last year and the qb have up a 116 points off turnovers. 
True. Even with Brady on the decline, all he has to do is not turn the ball over at a record pace and they should improve by 2-3 wins and maybe even 4-5.  

True. Even with Brady on the decline, all he has to do is not turn the ball over at a record pace and they should improve by 2-3 wins and maybe even 4-5.  
Right. Jameis essentially gave the other team 7 points a game. The Bucs lost 7 games by less than that amount (I believe). Easy to see how quickly this could turn. 

This is insane. I roster Godwin in dynasty, so I was happy to see the Jameis-Godwin connection continue, but I think I'll like this, too. And Tampa was rumored to be taking an RB in the draft, but now you have to wonder if it won't be Melvin Gordon going there as a vet who knows pass protection schemes probably a little better than a rook.

Either way, it's a heck of a sports story in a grim landscape these days. 

This is insane. I roster Godwin in dynasty, so I was happy to see the Jameis-Godwin connection continue, but I think I'll like this, too. And Tampa was rumored to be taking an RB in the draft, but now you have to wonder if it won't be Melvin Gordon going there as a vet who knows pass protection schemes probably a little better than a rook.

That's a dude I know Brady can reach with the ball. :D

Still glad for Brady that he gets to dictate how his career ends. Still hopeful he realizes the end is nigh and doesn't roll out there until it's painful to watch.

That's a dude I know Brady can reach with the ball. :D

Still glad for Brady that he gets to dictate how his career ends. Still hopeful he realizes the end is nigh and doesn't roll out there until it's painful to watch.
I can guess by your handle that you're a Pats fan (Bill Simmons used to call their logo that back in the day). I'm a Jets fan. I have no love lost for Brady, but it's nice to see him out of the division and, as a fantasy footballer, with Godwin and Evans. 

Seems like a terrible fit. Doesn’t an Arians offense offer minimum protection, send WRs on deep routes and require the QB to take a lot of hits while making a lot of risky down field throws? I hate this fit for everyone.

Don't be shocked if Rex Burkhead finds his way to Tampa Bay.

Seems like a terrible fit. Doesn’t an Arians offense offer minimum protection, send WRs on deep routes and require the QB to take a lot of hits while making a lot of risky down field throws? I hate this fit for everyone.
That was when Monken was the OC.  

Not sure how much of the 'non-protection/QB taking hits' Arians adopted.

You should read both ESPN and PFF today. Both have articles about Brady in TB.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28919127/grading-tom-brady-move-bucs-facts-fiction-fit-goat-tampa

PFF might be behind a paywall, but it's one of the lead articles.

Here's from a fantasy perspective. https://www.pff.com/news/fantasy-football-new-tampa-bay-buccaneers-quarterback-tom-brady-brings-fantasy-relevance-to-tampa-bay

I think Barnwell had an article in the USA Today about it, too. 

If Bruce Arians  runs the same kind of offense he did when he was in Pittsburgh then Brady is likely to take a lot more hits than he is used to.

If Bruce Arians  runs the same kind of offense he did when he was in Pittsburgh then Brady is likely to take a lot more hits than he is used to.
Well, if the reports that circulated last week are accurate, Brady is seeking to be the LeBron James of football and take control (or a big chunk of it) away from coaches and management. There was talk he wants considerable say in personnel / roster moves and the play calling. In many ways I think this is not great for Arians, because if things work out it will be Brady getting the credit and if they don't it will be Arians taking the blame. He sort of gets emasculated somewhat if that's how things play out.

At this stage of the game, I am not sure Brady has the patience and the temperament to endure growing pains, so I see a lot of bickering and Brady getting in the face of people a lot. He's also had some nagging injuries the past couple of years, and I doubt those go away and he can't heal faster than he used to. Long story short, I think the transition will be more difficult than some people may be considering. Not saying that it can't or won't work out . . . only that it will be harder than it sounds / looks.

At this stage of the game, I am not sure Brady has the patience and the temperament to endure growing pains, so I see a lot of bickering and Brady getting in the face of people a lot. 
There are reports that Brady wants AB in Tampa Bay so if the above plays out it should be fun to watch cause Mr. Big Chest loves it when QBs call him out.

Users who are viewing this thread