What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Tom Brady, TB (1 Viewer)

Interesting how all over the map some of these reports are. Yesterday, ESPN reported / suggested on Get Up that the Brady camp was fluffing up the interest level of teams when it was very possible there is not much of a market for him. Then today we get that TB is all in to sign Brady. If the reports are accurate, he is seeking to become a de facto general manager and offensive coordinator with the right to manage the roster and call the plays. It will be an interesting week . . .

Yahoo Sports' Charles Robinson writes the Buccaneers and Chargers are in position to make a run at Tom Brady.

Robinson notes that these two teams, plus the Titans and 49ers, are waiting on how things shake out between Brady and the Patriots. ESPN's Mike Reiss reported on Tuesday that they are "no closer to an agreement" and that there is "uncertainty" throughout New England with just days remaining before the legal tampering period kicks off. Both the Bucs and Bolts have the receiving weapons (and likely the salary) Brady is looking for at this stage in his career but actually leaving the Pats organization may be easier said than done. It's expected that the Patriots will offer Brady a reasonable contract before free agency begins. The question is if he'll accept it.

SOURCE: Yahoo Sports

Mar 11, 2020, 10:49 AM ET

Even though the world may be ending, there is still football related stuff going on. Reports coming out of Boston today that the deal BB made to Brady was for one year only and for less money than he made last year. There was also insider talk that the TB to SF rumor has legs. 

Interesting how all over the map some of these reports are. Yesterday, ESPN reported / suggested on Get Up that the Brady camp was fluffing up the interest level of teams when it was very possible there is not much of a market for him. Then today we get that TB is all in to sign Brady. If the reports are accurate, he is seeking to become a de facto general manager and offensive coordinator with the right to manage the roster and call the plays. It will be an interesting week . . .
If he wants a future in the front office or as a coordinator, I'd think j Rob and vrabel would be on board. 

IMO Brady fails everywhere but TEN...

TB would be a disaster
As much as I'd like it for Howard, you're probably right. Whenever a coach and QB aren't on the same page, that's a problem for sure. 

Even though the world may be ending, there is still football related stuff going on. Reports coming out of Boston today that the deal BB made to Brady was for one year only and for less money than he made last year. There was also insider talk that the TB to SF rumor has legs. 
If that is true it seems highly unlikely Brady is going to be fine with that and it looks like he’ll be gone.

Even if I wasn’t a Pat hater, I’d think this would be the most interesting storyline in the NFL in 2020 and I’d be rooting for Brady to sign somewhere else. I’m more curious to see what Bill and the Pats would do than what happens to Brady. I still think Brady can be effective and win games but at 42/43 he’s obviously is at the end of the line, but it would still be interesting to see what he brings to a new team. Heck I may even pull for him to do well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brady to TB seems completely stupid. Arians runs a vertical offense and that part of Brady's game has been diminishing for several seasons.
But Arians is pretty stupid, so who knows.  I guess stupid might be the wrong term - he acts stupidly because he is blinded/biased by his desire to win before he retires.

IMO TEN can support him defensively and with a good running game. I dont think Brady can do it himself; he needs a good supporting cast. NE, unless they make significant changes, doesnt have that. TB, LAC, IND... none of them are set like TEN is. We could make an argument for TB offensively, but defensively and in the running game- no chance. 
Brady's long game is deteriorated to the point he would negate AJ Brown, who is pretty much the only bright spot among the receivers. He's hatdly as mobile as Tannehill so he'll have to air it out more, and Humphries is hardly Edelman, Walker/Smith are not Gronk, so yes there is Derrick Henry but other than that it'll be frustration for Brady in TEN, and equally for those of us tgat don't want him to come to Nashville 

Great news IMO , happy for Titans fans, AJ Brown owners, and Brady owners too (I still think Brady would do better in TB or Indy) 
I think for his personal on field success and team success no place trumps San Fran and have thought that ever since I thought they become remotely viable.

I think for his personal on field success and team success no place trumps San Fran and have thought that ever since I thought they become remotely viable.
Yeah I'm just not buying that, but I agree he would do great there with the  D, run game, and short-intermediate routes that Deebo likes. 

NBC Sports' Chris Simms reports free agent Tom Brady is down to the Patriots and Buccaneers.

Simms also reports Brady's top choice was the 49ers, but they've dropped out of the Brady sweepstakes and are focusing on Jimmy Garoppolo as their franchise quarterback. With Ryan Tannehill securing a long-term deal with the Titans, Brady's options are dwindling. This report suggests Brady will be choosing between staying home on an average deal or moving down to Florida on a more lucrative deal to pair up with Mike Evans and Chris Godwin. Simms ultimately predicts Brady staying with the Patriots, but this isn't settled yet. In fact, we can't even rule out a wild card team making a last-second push. Time is ticking for Brady to find what's best for his last couple of NFL seasons.

RELATED: 

San Francisco 49ers

, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

SOURCE: NBC Sports

Mar 15, 2020, 3:26 PM ET

I think he's gonna be a Buc, and I'm betting they commit to drafting lineman early to protect him better. He'll definitely have the best weapons he's had in a loooong time. 

Brady and NE said to be not close to a deal. Legal tampering period starts later today. Brady to become a free agent on Wednesday afternoon. NE not trying to free up cap room at the last second heading into free agency. So it is said they are either thinking the market will be soft for TB12 in free agency or they are prepared to just move on. 

Has his dead cap hit been explained in here?  I'm sure it has, but:

For starters, Brady put into his contract last summer that it voids at the start of the 2020 league year (March 18) and that he cannot be hit with the franchise or transition tag. The quarterback cannot sign with any other team before March 18 and furthermore, he and his representatives cannot even speak to other teams until March 16, the day the legal tampering window begins.

With that being said, the Patriots can sign him to a new contract at any point — they have the exclusive rights to negotiate with him up until March 16.

What happens also has implications on the Patriots’ 2020 salary cap.

If Brady were to retire, the Patriots would have $13.5 million of dead money in 2020. If he re-signs with the Patriots prior to March 18, the number would be split over 2020 and 2021, so $6.75 million would be added to the Patriots’ 2020 salary cap. If Brady were to sign a new contract before March 18 and his 2020 cap hit was $20 million, it really would be $26.75 million.

If he were to sign with the Patriots or another team after March 18, there would be $13.5 in dead money for the Patriots in 2020. That means if Brady signs a deal with a $20 million cap hit with the Patriots after March 18, his cap hit would really be $33.5 million.

So, if the Patriots are going to bring him back, it makes a ton of sense for it to happen before March 18. But, that might be difficult to do because Brady wouldn’t get a true sense of what his value is on the open market.
Whatever happens is going to happen in the next few days.   

Has his dead cap hit been explained in here?  I'm sure it has, but:

Whatever happens is going to happen in the next few days.   
Brady signed a multi year extension last year with only one real year. So there is a pending $13.5 million cap hit floating in the ether that has not been charged yet. If NE signs him by the end of day Wednesday, they can split that cap charge over this season and next season. If they don’t sign him by Wednesday, then they have to eat that $13.5 million cap charge immediately. Even if they end up re-signing Brady after that. 

Patriots tagging guard Joe Thuney and re-signing safety Devin McCourty leaves the coffers pretty much empty to bring back Brady. By my math, NE down to $10-12 million in cap space. Will lose another $6.75 million end of Wednesday if Brady is not signed. Looks like the end of the TB12 era is upon us. 

:banned:

Anarchy99 said:
Patriots tagging guard Joe Thuney and re-signing safety Devin McCourty leaves the coffers pretty much empty to bring back Brady. By my math, NE down to $10-12 million in cap space. Will lose another $6.75 million end of Wednesday if Brady is not signed. Looks like the end of the TB12 era is upon us. 

:banned:
At the very least even if Brady would play for $12MM, which is doubtful, they'd have no cap space to bring in new weapons (without getting creative).

At the very least even if Brady would play for $12MM, which is doubtful, they'd have no cap space to bring in new weapons (without getting creative).
There are ways for them to free up more cap space . . . like trading Thuney, reworking other deals, cutting Gostkowski or Sanu, etc. But I doubt there is time to do all that in 48 hours.

Rotoworld:

CBS' Jason La Canfora reports the Bucs' interest in free agent Tom Brady is "real and sincere."

So far, the Bucs seem to be the only team with legitimate interest in the greatest player of the 21st century, if not all time. Even the Pats' interest is unclear. A New England return is probably still most likely, but it's a bad sign that Brady and Bill Belichick have not already hashed this one out.

RELATED: 

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

SOURCE: Jason La Canfora on Twitter

Mar 16, 2020, 12:36 PM ET

The Athletics' Vic Tafur reports the Raiders, "aren't totally out of" the running for QB Tom Brady.

Tafur added that the Buccaneers are ahead in line against the Raiders. The Patriots are also obviously still thought to be plenty involved. The Chargers are also reportedly in the mix, while ESPN's Chris Mortensen hinted at the possibility of potential mystery teams. It remains to be seen where Brady will sign, but plenty of reports have indicated the Buccaneers are going all out to get TB12. Brady's decision will ultimately go a long way towards shaping the rest of the free agent class.

SOURCE: Vic Tafur on Twitter

Mar 16, 2020, 4:50 PM ET

It's worse than that as of now. Right now, their top 51 contracts are ~$174.8M. Their dead money is ~$7.8M. Their current draft picks, should they all make the team, would have a collective 2020 cap hit of ~$9M. That totals to ~$191.6M. 

They rolled over ~$5.4M from the 2019 cap, meaning their total 2020 cap is ~$203.6M. Deducting the top 51 contracts, dead money, and draft picks leaves ~$12M.

But they have to pay the practice squad, which will cost $2.142M. And they need to reserve $3M to $4M for IR replacements during the season. So they are probably down to ~$6M.

This is all based on the top 51 contracts including a $6.75M cap hit for Brady. If they don't sign him by the deadline, the extra $6.75M hit means they literally have nothing left to spend.

I'm sure they can make some moves to free up cap space. For example, they can presumably work out a long term contract with Thuney and lower his 2020 cap number. But I don't see how they can free up enough space to bring Brady back unless he is playing for an unprecedently low salary. Much less get more weapons.

:popcorn:  

ETA: I just realized, since the Pats have more than 51 players under contract, the rookies will displace veterans who currently have minimum salaries. So ~$5M of the cost of the rookies will be offset by pushing minimum salary vets out. So they probably really have about $11M to work with without further moves, so the extra $6.75M hit for Brady would drop them to about $4M without any further signings of free agents, whether internal or external.

To summarize the above, NE has $21M in cap room less whatever the cap hit for Devin McCourty is for this year (not sure how his 2 year, $23M new contract is structured). And then they lose another $6.75 million after Wednesday for additional unaccounted for cap money for Brady. To make up a number for McCourty, if we assign him a cap hit of $11M for this year, that would leave NE with under $4M in cap room once they don’t resign Brady. That’s if they don’t do anything (and obviously they will make roster moves at some point).

But I don't think you are accounting for practice squad and IR replacements. That stuff combined will take $5M to $6M.
I am going off of what Spotrac lists for available cap space for NE. Their bottom line number for NE is $21,051,477. They don't have anything for McCourty listed yet. I am guessing their bottom line number is about as official a number there is. LINK

No matter how you slice it, no matter what the numbers actually are, adding Brady to that number would be impossible without many other moves to get under the cap in less than 48 hours (unless Brady agrees to play for $10 million this year).

Curious if the craziness in the world influences this situation at all. Giselle has to be pushing hard core for him to retire, stay home and not travel all over the place. 

Clearly more important things to worry about right now than Brady, just a random thought. 

Of course, the same points work for both Tampa and SD. 
Weather yes, but WRs are MUCH better in TB. But I see your point for sure. Also isn't Tom friends with Trump? if so, maybe he wants to be closer to all those golf courses down in Florida. ;)

Tom Brady resurrecting the franchise with the worst career winning percentage in the history of the sport is one Hell of a way to go out. 

Also a big reason why I don't think there's any way he comes to Tampa.  :lol:

Weather yes, but WRs are MUCH better in TB. But I see your point for sure. Also isn't Tom friends with Trump? if so, maybe he wants to be closer to all those golf courses down in Florida. ;)
As far as the detective game is played the guy he has a connection with is the Miami Owner who is a huge Michigan donor...there had been rumblings about Brady getting an ownership stake with the Dolphins as well...he also opened up a production company in LA recently so there is that connection as well...one thing that Miami, LAC and Tampa have in common is that they definitely need a QB...should find out very soon.

Users who are viewing this thread