What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

a newer song you love? (1 Viewer)

It's not new -- in fact, it's quite old -- but I just recently discovered Daddy Cool.

Greatest. Disco. Song. Ever.

New single from Modest Mouses unreleased album Strangers to Ourselves

Lampshades on Fire

Edit: Changed link to youtube
I'm curious what others think of this song. I'm a Modest Mouse fan and like almost all their songs including this new one but I don't think it will have the mass appeal that "Float On" and "Dashboard" had.
It's every Modest Mouse song.
It's Truckers Atlas/Tiny Cities Made of Ashes/Float On/Bankrupt on Selling/Parting of The Sensory/Little Motel/Baby Blue Sedan?

wat?

Lampshades on Fire

I'm curious what others think of this song. I'm a Modest Mouse fan and like almost all their songs including this new one but I don't think it will have the mass appeal that "Float On" and "Dashboard" had.
It's Truckers Atlas/Tiny Cities Made of Ashes/Float On/Bankrupt on Selling/Parting of The Sensory/Little Motel/Baby Blue Sedan?

wat?
I have 4 Modest Mouse songs I've listened to over 35 times according to my iTunes: Float On, Ocean Breathes Salty, 3rd Planet, and Perfect Disguise. So, I'm not necessarily a Modest Mouse fan, since I don't listen to a lot of their catalog. But I do like some of their songs. To me, I only really have room for about four Modest Mouse songs, since they have such a distinctive sound that all their songs sound very similar to me. I can't get 10 seconds into a MM song and not know it's them.

There are some bands like that for me - Silversun Pickups, Dinosaur Jr., Brett Dennen.

So, to me, this is just another Modest Mouse song, just like all the others - good song, but not different enough from their others that it goes in my rotation.

Lampshades on Fire

wat?
I have 4 Modest Mouse songs I've listened to over 35 times according to my iTunes: Float On, Ocean Breathes Salty, 3rd Planet, and Perfect Disguise. So, I'm not necessarily a Modest Mouse fan, since I don't listen to a lot of their catalog. But I do like some of their songs. To me, I only really have room for about four Modest Mouse songs, since they have such a distinctive sound that all their songs sound very similar to me. I can't get 10 seconds into a MM song and not know it's them.

There are some bands like that for me - Silversun Pickups, Dinosaur Jr., Brett Dennen.

So, to me, this is just another Modest Mouse song, just like all the others - good song, but not different enough from their others that it goes in my rotation.
Gotcha. Thanks for the response. Music is personal; I was just confused if it was a crack on the songwriting or identity, or what. I think the catalogue is pretty diverse, but I agree that you probably know it's Modest Mouse when you hear it. I should probably phrase it a bit better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing new that comes to mind - at least nothing new within the last year.

However I recently began listening to Springsteen live recordings and dig them a lot.

Young Fathers have released 2 very good albums in the past 14 months. Last year's "Dead" won the Mercury prize and this year's "White Men Are Black Men Too" was released a few weeks ago with much critical acclaim as well. Lots of good songs on both---here's one from each:

Get Up

Shame

Nothing new that comes to mind - at least nothing new within the last year.

However I recently began listening to Springsteen live recordings and dig them a lot.
I hope you have checked out the 1978 tour recordings, by far his most amazing work. I think this is the only year he played the legendary intro to prove it all night, here is one of many versions- his guitar starts kicking in about 2:25

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsrvIVFE25I

even better version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWos8TS9yaE

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't recognize another 1D song if it hit me in the face but I caught a rerun of SNL the other night where they sang Ready To Run.

Catchy tune. Really like the chorus. The live SNL performance is better than the album's, which is overproduced.

Users who are viewing this thread