Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Phenix

Jared Cook - What to expect?

Recommended Posts

I'm back on board. I missed the hype train the first 3 or 4 go rounds so I am excited to get chance to be disappointed. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TripItUp said:

Is it a foregone conclusion that Cook gets more targets than Rodgers, considering Rodgers is still #1 on the depth chart?

I think the week 3 game will be telling in that regard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hot Sauce Guy said:

I think the week 3 game will be telling in that regard. 

If Rodgers holds down the starting job, he is a steal at his current ADP in deep leagues.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, TripItUp said:

Is it a foregone conclusion that Cook gets more targets than Rodgers, considering Rodgers is still #1 on the depth chart?

Rationally, no it isn't a foregone conclusion. However, at the spot Cooks is available it's too much fun.

Edited by Ilov80s
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Denny Carter of Living the Stream is pushing Jared hard. With the garbage QBs he has had over his career, he's still posted a much better average yards per target than Rogers. GB coaching/management specifically mentioned in the offseason that GB needed a guy that win deep in the middle of the field. GB rarely brings in FA so it is likely they have a real plan for Cook. That's his basic argument. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ilov80s said:

Denny Carter of Living the Stream is pushing Jared hard. With the garbage QBs he has had over his career, he's still posted a much better average yards per target than Rogers. GB coaching/management specifically mentioned in the offseason that GB needed a guy that win deep in the middle of the field. GB rarely brings in FA so it is likely they have a real plan for Cook. That's his basic argument. 

Sounds promising in theory 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, flapgreen said:

Sounds promising in theory 

That sums up Jared Cook. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On board big time after tonight. Major party of this offense. He's the 3rd pass catcher we have been looking for. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

On board big time after tonight. Major party of this offense. He's the 3rd pass catcher we have been looking for. 

yep, he is now official sleeper status and with a non televised game in many drafts he'll be valued...going way under the radar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Bucsfan5493 said:

Brutal, I bought into the hype instead of trusting myself with Dwayne Allen who I've been preaching all off-season.

I went Allen-Cook at the 13/14 turn. I'm glad I started Allen but there's no way I'm cutting bait on Cook. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, need2know said:

 Gb offense was off all game.  Kind of hard to blame this on cook

Yes, but he split snaps with Richard Rodgers and I think it's clear the Packers still want Davante Adams to be heavily involved. Best case scenario, Cook is the 4th option. We could see a few breakout games but I'm not sure he'll be a consistent low-end TE1.

Edited by ThePhillyPhanatic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ThePhillyPhanatic said:

Yes, but he split snaps with Richard Rodgers and I think it's clear the Packers still want Davante Adams to be heavily involved. Best case scenario, Cook is the 4th option. We could see a few breakout games but I'm not sure he'll be a consistent low-end TE1.

were people drafting cook to be a low end te1?  that's their wrong, not cooks.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Jared Cook said he expects more targets going forward.

 

Cook had just two targets in the opener. He outsnapped Richard Rodgers, but wasn't higher than the No. 4 option. Cook should remain a non-factor with a matchup against Vikings S Harrison Smith in Week 2.
 
 
Sep 16 - 7:02 PM

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would definitely hold on him - there's upside there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cook is a bum and always has been.  No upside.  Don't give away points by starting this guy.  Move on

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, flapgreen said:

Cook is a bum and always has been.  No upside.  Don't give away points by starting this guy.  Move on

Flap and his jedi mind tricks :lol: Let's over react to week 1 out comes shall we? Hopefully you drafted him as a a TE2 and are willing to see how things play out if not, by all means follow Flap's advice.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Dark Matter said:

Flap and his jedi mind tricks :lol: Let's over react to week 1 out comes shall we? Hopefully you drafted him as a a TE2 and are willing to see how things play out if not, by all means follow Flap's advice.

I'm reacting to years of Cook in the league.  Wake up

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cook might be huge this week. Don't be shocked if he doubles or even triples his output from week 1. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Cook might be huge this week. Don't be shocked if he doubles or even triples his output from week 1. 

:D

 

 Seeing as he got a grand total of .70 in my standard league, even if he got ten times that he would still "only" be barely startable. LOL.

 But I am assuming you posted that with a bit of sarcasm.    

 

 In a weird set of circumstances, I actually ended up with Cook  in my biggest money league, at the tail end of the draft.

 So I gave him the obligatory "1 week roll out" , and then I gave him the mandatory drop to the waiver wire.

 I hope he blows up.....and he just might, he just won't be doing it on my team.  :wall:

 I will start Kyle Rudolph, and the truth is, I will sleep better at night because of it. 

 

 In 2 or 3 weeks when the bye weeks begin, I will snag someone slightly less brutal. Barnidge was just dropped in that very league, but I will wait for waivers to clear. I am not using up priority for him either. If I get him great, and if I don't...thats great too~!

Its not like Barnidge is something I want to be hinging my fantasy season on.

 

 

 TZM

Edited by TZMarkie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, need2know said:

Dropped this turd for jesse james

This is a move I'm considering. I'm wondering if James will be more consistent with targets and especially red zone looks than Cook going forward. While I think Cook will have good games he feels like a much more inconsistent weekly option than James. I guess I'm talking myself into it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TZMarkie said:

:D

 

 Seeing as he got a grand total of .70 in my standard league, even if he got ten times that he would still "only" be barely startable. LOL.

 But I am assuming you posted that with a bit of sarcasm.    

 

 In a weird set of circumstances, I actually ended up with Cook  in my biggest money league, at the tail end of the draft.

 So I gave him the obligatory "1 week roll out" , and then I gave him the mandatory drop to the waiver wire.

 I hope he blows up.....and he just might, he just won't be doing it on my team.  :wall:

 I will start Kyle Rudolph, and the truth is, I will sleep better at night because of it. 

 

 In 2 or 3 weeks when the bye weeks begin, I will snag someone slightly less brutal. Barnidge was just dropped in that very league, but I will wait for waivers to clear. I am not using up priority for him either. If I get him great, and if I don't...thats great too~!

Its not like Barnidge is something I want to be hinging my fantasy season on.

 

 

 TZM

Totally agree, Cook is about to blow up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, ldizzle said:

I saw that he was only in for like 30 something snaps. Not enough for me to keep him since Rodgers spreads the ball 

Yep, The Outlaw was out there for 68 plays. 100% of Packers plays. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Yep, The Outlaw was out there for 68 plays. 100% of Packers plays. 

Reportedly not pass protecting particularly well. 

I like the kid, great name, could be solid. Not saying he's a bad pickup, but if he doesn't clean that up he won't be out there at that high of a % looking ahead. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hot Sauce Guy said:

Reportedly not pass protecting particularly well. 

I like the kid, great name, could be solid. Not saying he's a bad pickup, but if he doesn't clean that up he won't be out there at that high of a % looking ahead. 

Fair point, but he solidly outplayed and outproduced Cook week 1 which is very very impressive. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Fair point, but he solidly outplayed and outproduced Cook week 1 which is very very impressive. 

Neither had earth shattering weeks - Cook was just nonexistent. 

I expect GB to start working him in more. There was too much positive in the preseason - the chemistry was there. 

I'm holding for one more week - Cook was a FA pickup after my draft and my TE2. If I have to cut bait after this week I will. I still believe there's upside. 

Edited by Hot Sauce Guy
Spellibg - - I can't

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Cook has a bad game this week,almost everyone will be dumping him.Then he blows up in week 3,and everyone rushes to the waiver to get him again...the he sucks for 2-3 more weeks,gets dumped again,has another big game,get picked back up and so on...I think He'll be a hit or miss all year and a waste of a bench spot for a more productive TE on a weekly basis. Great athlete,just not a good football player! I'm not wasting my time on Cooks ever again. I've gotten suckered in too many times,thinking this might be the year. No Thanks!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't intentionally avoid him, but when it came time for me to get a second TE late in a draft or for a buck or two in auctions, I was going for Jesse James or Virgil Green, not this perennial bust who cannot catch the ball.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cook played 52% of GB's offensive snaps week 1, compared to 39% for Richard Rodgers.

I'm still hanging on to Cook in the league where I drafted him (which has a format where it makes sense to roster a backup TE), but if that number doesn't increase soon then I'll probably move on.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Biabreakable said:

I don't think Rodgers wants his passes clanking ineffectually off of Cooks hands. That's Davantae Adams job. 

I snorted at this. lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Knowing Murphys law of attraction Jered Cook will likely have his best game of the season against the Vikings even though objective analysis of the situation and match up suggests he won't. Simply because I am talking smack about him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cook has been a disappointment, but he has still averaged 49/638/3.1 per 16 games over the past 5 seasons. He doesn't need that big a boost over those numbers to be a fantasy starter.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, ZWK said:

Cook has been a disappointment, but he has still averaged 49/638/3.1 per 16 games over the past 5 seasons. He doesn't need that big a boost over those numbers to be a fantasy starter.

And arguably this is his best situation of his career, not coaching & QB-wise. 

Im not even sure it's debatable. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

And arguably this is his best situation of his career, not coaching & QB-wise. 

Im not even sure it's debatable. 

What isn't debatable is he sucks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMO He is looking at 3-7 targets a game all year. Depending on how good the other team's corners are and how slow their linebackers are, he will get more.   

He almost hauled in a 40 yard pass in the last game.  The coverage was very good.  The pass was just a little too far.  If he had caught the ball it would have been a great catch.  I don't fault him at all for the miss, but where would this conversation be if he makes that one catch?

He has one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time in his prime throwing him the ball. 1 or 2 injuries, and he gets the GOAT's regular radar.

Sometimes you just have to give time time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.