What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jared Cook - What to expect? (2 Viewers)

FBG Email post on Cook: 

2. NO - TE Jared Cook's role to expand?

Source: The Times-Picayune - Luke Johnson

New Orleans Saints TE Jared Cook will be given the chance to show 'everything he can do' for the offense, according to tight ends coach Dan Campbell. 'The guy is over 30 and he still runs like the wind. He can absolutely smoke,' Campbell said. 'He's got 35-inch arms, he is long, and he is fast.'

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ FOOTBALLGUYS VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

We've seen Cook finish as a top-5 fantasy tight end like he did last season for the Raiders. This is a much better passing game with the Saints, so projecting him for similar output is not outlandish. We like where he's going off the board right now. Cook has a current ADP of TE8 (6.10) in 12-team PPR leagues.
D Carr had more passing yards then D Brees(4049 to 3992). FBG's is saying they like him as TE8.
It would be outlandish to expect J Cook to be D Brees 2nd option or D Brees to pass for 5000+ yards.
I'm not going to give away paid content, but no one at FBG's is projecting him to have an expanded role.

It would be outlandish to expect J Cook to be D Brees 2nd option or D Brees to pass for 5000+ yards.
Do you mean NOT outlandish? It's unlikely for Cook to emerge as the 2nd option outside of injury, but Brees has passed for 5,000 a few times.

And just a side note, if Brees hadn't sat out the last game he would have had more yards than Carr.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you mean NOT outlandish? It's unlikely for Cook to emerge as the 2nd option outside of injury, but Brees has passed for 5,000 a few times.

And just a side note, if Brees hadn't sat out the last game he would have had more yards than Carr.
Those 5000 yard seasons are over. The Saints have a good defense and running game. O. K. D Brees passes for 250 the last game.
That 200 yard difference still doesn't make the Saints that much better passing. I think the Saints do not want D Brees passing for 5000.
D Brees will still throw 25+ TD's compared to ?? for Carr. This will be J Cooks 5th team in 11 years, . His chances of finishing at TE5 are no
better then A hooper, H Henry, D Njoku, and K Rudolph. These guys could all score within 30 points of each other(PPR) Which is TE6 to 11. 

The top 3 are Kelce, Ertz and Kittle. They'll score 190+ (PPR) The next tier is E Engram, OJ Howard,
and E Ebron scoring 170+ or close to 170. The rest could be 150 to 170. 

nightmare said:
The top 3 are Kelce, Ertz and Kittle. They'll score 190+ (PPR) The next tier is E Engram, OJ Howard,
and E Ebron scoring 170+ or close to 170. The rest could be 150 to 170. 
Like Bill Murray just said, Cook could pull a rabbit out of a hat. Out of the 150-170 range tight ends, hes the only one with a chance to be Jimmy Graham. Not even trying to say it's likely, but you have to factor the possibility into your projections.

Like Bill Murray just said, Cook could pull a rabbit out of a hat. Out of the 150-170 range tight ends, hes the only one with a chance to be Jimmy Graham. Not even trying to say it's likely, but you have to factor the possibility into your projections.
You guys can think that, but I'm disagreeing. you better have a backup plan if you think he's going to put up tier one numbers.
It's good if you let J Cook fall to you in a redraft, but if your reaching for him 2 rounds you could get burned.

You guys can think that, but I'm disagreeing. you better have a backup plan if you think he's going to put up tier one numbers.
We didn't say this, I said he has a Tier1 ceiling.  That's a very different statement than the one I bolded above.

It's good if you let J Cook fall to you in a redraft, but if your reaching for him 2 rounds you could get burned.
At worst you just get a regular tight end. Low risk to me.

Drew Brees said he's "certainly" been impressed with Jared Cook throughout OTAs.

Coming off a career year in Oakland, the veteran has made a strong first impression with his new team. "He’s got a great feel for the game and I think he’s going to fit very well in our offense," said Brees, who also complemented Cook's catch radius and ability to win 50-50 balls. TEs coach Dan Campbell had previously mentioned drawing up plays for Cook similar to ones used during Jimmy Graham's heyday in the Big Easy. Primed for a major role in one of the league's highest-scoring offenses, the 32-year-old should be a no-brainer TE1 in fantasy drafts this summer.

SOURCE: New Orleans Advocate

May 26, 2019, 10:45 AM ET

Thoughts on him?

I don’t know how to feel.  Going to the Saints—a better offense—it makes sense that he should be good.

But he was easily the #1 option in Oakland.  Now in New Orleans he’s probably 3rd at best behind Thomas and Kamara.  

He’s also 32, and I worry he’s due for a decline.

Thoughts on him?

I don’t know how to feel.  Going to the Saints—a better offense—it makes sense that he should be good.

But he was easily the #1 option in Oakland.  Now in New Orleans he’s probably 3rd at best behind Thomas and Kamara.  

He’s also 32, and I worry he’s due for a decline.
I think he is a great play in 2019, maybe 2020 but I agree his age will catch up. I have him in my dynasty as a stop gap until Hockenson gets up to speed. Hes expendable for sure. 

I'll probably be targeting him in the subscriber contest, and he would be a nice cheap option in redraft if you're waiting on a TE 

I think he is a great play in 2019, maybe 2020 but I agree his age will catch up. I have him in my dynasty as a stop gap until Hockenson gets up to speed. Hes expendable for sure. 

I'll probably be targeting him in the subscriber contest, and he would be a nice cheap option in redraft if you're waiting on a TE 
I think he’s comfortably TE5-8 this year.  Age 32-33 isn’t a big deal at the position.  I’m more weighing the calculus of benefits of being in a great offense versus negatives of being in a great offense.  I’d rather he be stuck on a crap team as the main target hog, but I also think he’s still a strong play with Brees.  I wouldn’t lose much sleep losing him—or trying to get him—in a trade.  I think he will he will be a fine option in 19 and maybe 20, as above.

Color me skeptical. Not of Cook but Sean Payton's offense. It just seems he's becoming all about the deception factor.

I think there are too many situational vultures on that team who will cap Cook's upside (e.g. Taysom Hill, Zach Line, etc.). Almost completely opposite of many other teams where TE is a QB's safety blanket.

Could be very frustrating to own due to inconsistency.

My brother is on the NO staff and he's been telling me to prioritize making sure Cook is on my roster in any league I can. Said he'll be a league winning TE at his ADP or perceived value in trades right NOW in all league types.  They fully expect him to put up Graham numbers back when Graham was in NO.  Further said that in dynasty leagues that I'm not competing in, try to get him now because 2 games in, everyone else will be convinced and he'll command a 2020 1st for those who are making a run this year or next and need a TE. 

My brother is on the NO staff and he's been telling me to prioritize making sure Cook is on my roster in any league I can. Said he'll be a league winning TE at his ADP or perceived value in trades right NOW in all league types.  They fully expect him to put up Graham numbers back when Graham was in NO.  Further said that in dynasty leagues that I'm not competing in, try to get him now because 2 games in, everyone else will be convinced and he'll command a 2020 1st for those who are making a run this year or next and need a TE. 
Is this for real? 

Jared has a really, really nice age 31,season. I like him best of the Tier 3 TEs (Ebron, Njoku, Hooper, MacDonald.)

Spoken like Cook owner hunting for a trade offer

Journeyman?  I don't think so.  My uncle, who runs the vegas oddsmakers association, said Cook is really only 30
You’re right. My cousin, who is a licensed electrician, said no way is Cook a trained, skilled, and adaptable tradesman.

Saints TEs coach Dan Campbell said it's "pretty easy to see" the impact Jared Cook has had during training camp.

Campbell isn't the only one who's been impressed by Cook as team reporter Mike Triplett of ESPN notes that the 32-year-old has quickly emerged as a "go-to pass catcher" for Drew Brees while turning heads with his "size, athleticism and versatility." Triplett adds that it's "impossible to ignore" Cook's performance at camp, which has included a dazzling array of "big plays" and "contested catches." Coming off a career-year in Oakland, Cook belongs firmly in the TE1 discussion. He's a strong consolation prize for fantasy owners who miss on the first wave of tight ends including Travis Kelce, Zach Ertz, George Kittle and O.J. Howard.

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Aug 12, 2019, 10:06 AM ET

Mike Triplett @MikeTriplett

Unfortunately we won't see a Saints injury report until next week. So it's unclear if Jared Cook is dealing with anything significant. But he did stay on sideline/stick around for media interviews after his activity appeared to be limited last week. So reason to hope it's minor.

Saints not worried about the Jared Cook and Drew Brees connection after limited preseason (September 8)

NEW ORLEANS — A quirk, thanks to the unfortunate timing of an unspecified injury and the New Orleans Saints decision to rest quarterback Drew Brees for all but eight preseason snaps: When Jared Cook lines up on the field Monday night, almost six months after signing with his new club, that will be his first live-action scrimmage play on the same field as Brees. 

Cook himself played in just 31 preseason snaps ahead of Monday night’s opener, meaning there is scant live game evidence of what Cook can do in this offense just yet. At least, not for casual observers. 

New Orleans saw all it needed to see in training camp practices. 

“There’ll be some things you’ve got to iron out, but no, those guys have gotten a lot of work,” said coach Sean Payton. 

“We feel like the two of them have had a great rapport working together and they continue to have a great relationship,” added offensive coordinator Pete Carmichael.

Cook said the injury that caused him to be held out of the third preseason game was “a little frustrating,” but he was happy the team did not rush him back to the field for the sake of a few snaps in an exhibition game, ensuring he’d be able to get more valuable work with Brees in practices. 

“I’m glad we took our time with what we had going on to make sure everything right so I could get out there and do what I have to do,” Cook said. “You can never have good enough connection with your quarterback. 

“Me being the new guy here I feel like that’s something that’s constantly working to improve.”

The Saints sought Cook out this offseason to inject some life into their passing game at the tight end position. Last season, the Saints targeted their tight ends just 89 times, tied for the eighth-lowest mark in the NFL. 

Wide receiver Michael Thomas (147 targets) and running back Alvin Kamara (105 targets) were targeted on nearly 50% of the Saints’ pass attempts last season. Although they still figure to eat up a lion’s share of the passing game in 2019, Cook’s addition should make it trickier for teams to double team one or the other. 

“I'm very excited about him and the element that he brings to the offense and just the compliment with the other guys that we have as well,” Brees said. “You try to give defenses a lot to have to worry about and plan for.”

Jared Cook caught 2-of-7 targets for 25 yards in the Saints' Week 2 loss to the Rams.

Cook had a very bad game in Week 2, but the big issue for Cook is Drew Brees' potentially serious hand injury. Brees was uncomfortable gripping the ball on the sidelines and the broadcast never showed him even try to throw the ball once his thumb and hand were taped up. If Brees is out, Cook can't be trusted as a TE1 next week in Seattle with Teddy Bridgewater locking into Michael Thomas on Sunday.

Sep 15, 2019, 8:36 PM ET

We should’ve known ...

time to start streaming TE’s for us owners now. 

Unfortunately all I’ve got is Jimmy Graham, Will Dissley and Witten on the waiver wire.

decided to pick up Herndon and suck it up with Cook for another couple weeks 

Jared Cook caught 3-of-6 targets for 21 yards in Week 4 against Dallas

This was an upgrade from last week, when Cook was held to one catch. Cook has been a non-factor with Teddy Bridgewater starting and isn't getting many red-zone looks. He's a touchdown-dependent TE2 for a Week 5 matchup with the Bucs.

Sep 29, 2019, 11:58 PM ET

I don't know how to read him.  If you need a TE, could be had for nearly free.  Could be better days ahead.  

However, there's a real chance that he's just another faceless piece in this Saints offense.  

I don't know how to read him.  If you need a TE, could be had for nearly free.  Could be better days ahead.  

However, there's a real chance that he's just another faceless piece in this Saints offense.  
Oakland last year was an outlier caused by lack of other options. That's not the case in NO. He's droppable now.

i think he has value still because the options behind apex WR Thomas are so slim. the problem, of course, is that the game plan is out the window with Brees' injury. no one has any idea odfwhat the next 5-6 weeks will look like. 

you can tell they want to get him involved. he will probably have a couple big games.  but no way to tell when they will happen

Jared Cook (ankle) was sidelined for Wednesday's practice.

Cook's absence from practice could just be for rest. He's caught two touchdowns in as many games the past two weeks and has recently come on strong following a brutal 8/90/0 start to the season. Friday's practice will be telling.

SOURCE: Amie Just on Twitter

Oct 16, 2019, 5:34 PM ET

Jared Cook (ankled) remained sidelined on Thursday.

ESPN's Mike Triplett considers Cook in jeopardy of missing Sunday's road trip to Chicago. A "limited" session on Friday would put Cook on track to make the flight. Even if Cook does play, he has yet to rise above middling TE2 status this season.

SOURCE: Mike Triplett on Twitter

Oct 17, 2019, 5:27 PM ET

Jared Cook (ankle) is out for Week 7 against the Bears.

Cook wasn't able to practice this week and is week to week moving forward. The Saints will also be without Alvin Kamara and Tre'Quan Smith, so Michael Thomas and Latavius Murray will be this week's centerpieces.

SOURCE: Amie Just on Twitter

Oct 18, 2019, 4:04 PM ET

Jared Goff completed 22-of-37 passes for 268 yards, two touchdowns and zero interceptions in the Rams' 37-10, Week 7 win over the Falcons.

Goff, frankly, wasn't very good, but he was much better than Matt Ryan and the Falcons, who imploded in what could be a job-costing loss for coach Dan Quinn. Despite the solid box score, Goff lets tons of yards on the field with overthrows and general inaccuracy. He should have had a bigger day. His first score was admittedly a dime to Todd Gurley. His second came on a tight end screen to Gerald Everett where Everett did all the work. Facing a nonexistent defense on the road today, Goff gets another one at home for Week 8, where the Rams host the Bengals.

Saints TE Jared Cook (ankle) is out for the team's Week 8 matchup against the Saints.

Cook failed to suit up in Week 7 and will again be sidelined this Sunday. He caught at least three passes in Weeks 4-6. Josh Hill (68% snaps in Week 7, 3-43-1) can be treated as a boom-or-bust TE2 with the Saints' starting TE out in this cake matchup against the league's single-worst defense against the TE position.

SOURCE: Darren Urban on Twitter.

Oct 25, 2019, 4:52 PM ET

Thoughts on this guy going forward?  With Engram and Walker as my TEs, I'm thinking of taking a flyer.
I’m planning on grabbing this week in advance of Engram’s week 11 bye. Heck with Engram questionable I may need him this week. We only got to see him for one game with Brees and he was a fairly high pick on the expectation that they would do well together. I’m making the assumption he is to be back healthy this week after the bye? Does anyone know?

Users who are viewing this thread