What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jared Cook - What to expect? (2 Viewers)

It's taken a while but I think the seam and crossing routes will ultimately hit with Brees. Unfortunately because of the thumb injury and Cook's injury opportunities to gain chemistry and timing have been really limited between the two, like 1 game limited. But I saw it with Bridgewater, who i don't think is really up to that kind of thing but it's there for Brees. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Jared Cook caught both of his targets for 33 yards and a touchdown in New Orleans' Week 11 win over the Bucs.

Cook made his only end zone look count as he skied over S Andrew Adams to put the Saints up 20-0 at the beginning of the second quarter. His other catch was a 30-yard deep shot up the seam on the team's opening drive. Even on limited usage, Cook's involvement on 12 targets out of the team's bye puts him on the radar as a streaming TE1 over the second half of the season. He'll be ranked as such in Week 12 against the Panthers.

Nov 17, 2019, 6:10 PM ET

Jared Cook caught 6-of-8 targets for 99 yards and a touchdown in the Saints' Week 12 win over the Panthers.

Cook continues to look like Jimmy Graham during his Saints days, as Cook hauls in a difficult catch or two on a weekly basis. He is becoming a significant threat to defenses over the middle of the field and in the redzone. That's four touchdowns in five weeks, and the 99 yards is a season-high for Cook. He is clearly second in the receiver pecking order behind Michael Thomas.

Jared Cook caught 3-of-6 targets for 85 yards in the Saints' Week 13 win over the Falcons.

Cook should have had a much better night, but he dropped a touchdown and also had another sideline shot go off his fingertips. They were catches that needed to be made. That's Cook, though; a consistently inconsistent plus athlete who has never really lived up to his potential. Cook is still having a fine second half of the season with 74 yards and/or one touchdown in six straight games. He'll get a date with the 49ers' tough defense in Week 14.

Nov 29, 2019, 12:15 AM ET

Jared Cook exited Week 14 against the 49ers with a concussion and will not return.

Cook caught both of his first-quarter targets for 38- and 26-yard touchdowns, but Cook took a shot to the head from CB Ahkello Witherspoon on the second touchdown. Cook at least made the most of his opportunities before getting hurt. Josh Hill and Taysom Hill are getting plenty of run in Cook's absence.

Dec 8, 2019, 2:24 PM ET

I gotta go Njoku if he's out and that guy has his own issues.  Would really suck to get stuck with no TE for the semis.

Jared Cook (concussion) was "limited" in Thursday's practice.

It's a good sign, but few, if any, teams are tighter lipped with injury information than the Saints. There is no way of knowing where Cook might be in the concussion protocol. The 32-year-old does have an extra day to get cleared for Week 15 with the Saints playing on Monday Night Football. Fantasy players can tentatively pencil Cook into their semifinals lineups. Concussions are not game-time decisions. We should know Cook's status by Sunday morning.

SOURCE: Katherine Terrell on Twitter

Dec 12, 2019, 4:52 PM ET

Rotoworld:

Jared Cook (concussion) practiced in full on Friday.

Cook caught both of his targets for 64 yards and a pair of touchdowns on just eight snaps in Week 14 before exiting the game. He's earned high-end TE1 treatment if active as Drew Brees' undisputed No. 3 pass-game option behind only Michael Thomas and Alvin Kamara. Josh Hill has surpassed 50 receiving yards in just 3-of-100 regular season games and likely won't command the same volume as Cook if the Saints' starting TE is ultimately sidelined. Treat Hill as a touchdown-dependent TE2 if Cook is inactive.

SOURCE: Neworleanssaints.com

Dec 13, 2019, 4:53 PM ET

He practiced in full today.  That has to be a good sign that he’ll clear the protocol by Monday night, right?  

i believe they have to make the official announcement before noon on Sunday regardless. 

I’ve heard we’ll know by sunday morning. Concussions apparently can’t be GTD. 

from my knowledge of the protocol, yes it's a great sign
This is exactly the kind of information that comes in very valuable in the decision making process.

If we know by noon on Sunday of J Cook's status that is very helpful information. Wasting a spot for say Josh Hill too early would be one of the reasons. Or finding a spot for an OJ Howard or Njoku. Or playing Hollister in a 1:00 game. I gonna hold steady with Cook looking good.

Coach Sean Payton said TE Jared Cook (concussion) is expected to suit up for the Saints' Monday night matchup against the Colts.

Cook practiced in full on Friday. He caught both of his targets for 64 yards and a pair of touchdowns on just eight snaps in Week 14 before exiting the game. Cook has earned high-end TE1 treatment if active as Drew Brees' undisputed No. 3 pass-game option behind only Thomas and Alvin Kamara.

SOURCE: Mike Triplett on Twitter

Dec 14, 2019, 3:08 PM ET

"Expected".  He still hasn't cleared the protocol as far as I know so I can't chance it.  :wall: There's no pickups for us in the playoffs.

The last thing I read stated Cook practiced in full on Friday and wasn't listed on the team's final injury report.

I'm playing him over Hollister and will be forced to pick up Josh Hill if Cook doesn't play.

Did he have a setback? I don't mind if he sits this one out....  :scared:
I’ll be watching from behind my couch just like that smiley 

I think he’s fine. The communication chain has been a bit cryptic in that he’s “expected to play” but I think that’s just us jaded fantasy owners reading through the tea leaves 

But I still find it odd that I never saw any factual news that he cleared concussion protocol.  I read and re read the protocol today and you technically can practice in full without taking hits and still be in the protocol. But I think again it’s just wishful thinking going against him in a close matchup. 

I did Pick up Josh Hill just in case.

I made the right call in starting Higbee over him last week. But this week feels like time to go back to Cook. 
TE premium and I gotta consider Cook in the flex over Kupp or Golloday who have rough matchups. Have Kittle as regular TE. It seemed like once the game was out of hand they took him out earlier than others.

I made the right call in starting Higbee over him last week. But this week feels like time to go back to Cook. 

TE premium and I gotta consider Cook in the flex over Kupp or Golloday who have rough matchups. Have Kittle as regular TE. It seemed like once the game was out of hand they took him out earlier than others.
You could tell as last weeks game progressed that Cook was not going to be a big factor once the game got out of control. He's definitely a potential solid start playing against the team that drafted him this week if the game is within 2 scores. NO seems to be hell bent for election now with Brees leading the way. If they need Cook he's like option 3 in the passing game, although the Taysom Hill, a QB is a bit worrisome. If T Hill was designated QB/WR/TE/RB - heck just designate him QB/FLEX then things would get even more dicey. That ain't gonna gonna happen. Taysom does take away from others scoring potential. Kamara is way overdue. Does he score in week 16? Who gets the NO potential 4 TD's is what we're all after. Thomas a lock and load 100 yards + and at least one score.

My option is Hollister or Cook this week. Hollister against ARI is mighty tasty. 

You could tell as last weeks game progressed that Cook was not going to be a big factor once the game got out of control. He's definitely a potential solid start playing against the team that drafted him this week if the game is within 2 scores. NO seems to be hell bent for election now with Brees leading the way. If they need Cook he's like option 3 in the passing game, although the Taysom Hill, a QB is a bit worrisome. If T Hill was designated QB/WR/TE/RB - heck just designate him QB/FLEX then things would get even more dicey. That ain't gonna gonna happen. Taysom does take away from others scoring potential. Kamara is way overdue. Does he score in week 16? Who gets the NO potential 4 TD's is what we're all after. Thomas a lock and load 100 yards + and at least one score.

My option is Hollister or Cook this week. Hollister against ARI is mighty tasty. 
IMO Hollister is a must start against AZ. He’s currently in over Cook, Hooper and Waller

IMO Hollister is a must start against AZ. He’s currently in over Cook, Hooper and Waller

Remember what TE Seals-Jones did last week vs ARZ Def....  3 of 4 for 29 yards & 2 TD! 

Granted it was Baker throwing to him.... 
Yep! It is well documented that TE's eat large against ARI. Hollister is up next. Yes, I have Cook. I had Dissly. Throw into the mix that I also have Lockett, and even DK Metcalf to start as well. Imagine two SEA WR's & TE starting. That's about it for me. Or start A Miller over DK with eyes on J Watson too.

Jared Cook caught 3-of-4 targets for 84 yards and two touchdowns in the Saints' Week 16 win over the Titans.

Against the team that drafted him, Cook caught his Nos. 7 and 8 scores of the year, setting a new career high for the 32-year-old. Cook has really turned it on over the second half of the season and gets a Week 17 date with the Panthers, who he beat up for 6-99-1 on eight targets in Week 12 at the Superdome.

Jared Cook caught 5-of-5 targets for 54 yards in the Saints' Wild Card loss to the Vikings.

Cook balled out to the highest of levels once Drew Brees returned from injury, posting weekly finishes as the PPR TE8, TE11, TE3, TE12, TE3, TE11, TE4 and TE11 to end the regular season. The soon to be 33-year-old TE flashed a fantasy-friendly combination of soft hands and after-the-catch goodness. This was easily the best version of Cook we've ever seen: his average of 10.8 yards per target easily surpassed his career-best mark of 9.4 yards back in 2011. Additionally, Cook set career-high marks in touchdowns (9) and yards per reception (16.4). Cook will be worthy of mid-tier TE1 consideration in fantasy drafts come August as the No. 3 pass-game option in this (normally) high-scoring offense.

Jan 5, 2020, 5:18 PM ET

I get the lack of trade value in dynasty given his age, but I don't see why Cook isn't being talked about more as a value TE1 who is bound to have week-winning games in this offense.

I get the lack of trade value in dynasty given his age, but I don't see why Cook isn't being talked about more as a value TE1 who is bound to have week-winning games in this offense.
New Orleans acquired additional WR options and drafted a highly-regarded rookie TE.

Cook will certainly have week-winning games in this offense, but it will be impossible to predict when they will be.  He's a Best Ball TE only, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread