What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Marvels Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D (1 Viewer)

I liked the pilot. I don't really know where they are going with the plot, but I thought it was fun and the eye candy was a plus. As others have said, the car at the end was beyond ridiculous, but I'm willing to let that slide.

Just watched it with family tonight.

We are all huge fans of Whedon (loved everything he has done outside of Dollhouse, which we just liked).

Thought the pilot was fun. We agreed car at end was silly.

Whedon typically does a very nice job weaving in season long story arcs into what appears to be episodic television so I am not really going to be able to make any real judgements until that thread becomes more evident later in season 1 (assuming they make it that far). I don't think this thread will be the Colson story line although that will obviously fit into it.

As for Colson, we guessed either clone or cyborg.

Week 1 numbers were great. I would expect a big drop next week. I watched this and Black LIst this week, and I almost turned this off half-way through, due to my boredom. I stuck through it because it's a pilot, and being Avengers-related I guess it could do well. Black List, on the other hand, kept me on the edge of my seat and seemed to be written far better. Very tense for a pilot.

I'll give it another shot, but I suspect many others won't.

Week 1 numbers were great. I would expect a big drop next week. I watched this and Black LIst this week, and I almost turned this off half-way through, due to my boredom. I stuck through it because it's a pilot, and being Avengers-related I guess it could do well. Black List, on the other hand, kept me on the edge of my seat and seemed to be written far better. Very tense for a pilot.

I'll give it another shot, but I suspect many others won't.
I expect the numbers to drop a bit as well.

They did have the highest premier for a drama in 4 years. ABC is going to repeat the pilot on this Thursday, I assume hoping to scoop some viewers who missed but heard good word of mouth.

James Daulton said:
snogger said:
James Daulton said:
That hacker chick was smokin. I enjoyed how she was teasing with her bewbs when the hero was under the truth serum. I also lol'd a couple of times like when the agent was describing the doctors write-up of our hero and said she made a picture that "looks like poop."

Good Whedon dialogue.
:confused: It's a porcupine.. :shrug: looks like poop to me

:lol:
:lol: His dry delivery is awesome.
sorry that corner was very dark. Bulb mustve been out :lmao:

Arsenal of Doom said:
NCCommish said:
Arsenal of Doom said:
It was a little weird for me making the transition from seeing Coulson/Hill/SHIELD on the big screen to this episodic format with limited effects. None of the new characters really jumped out to me, aside from Skye being easy to look at. I'll definitely give the show and characters a chance to grow on me.

I'm curious to see where they go with the Coulson storyline. There would only seem to be a couple of viable options:

1. Coulson is really dead and this is either an android (Vision) or clone replacement with his memories

2. He died and was brought back through some sort magical means - like Thor going to the underworld and retrieving his spirit from Death

3. He was revived through some means, either technological or magical but after a much longer timeframe than he knows about. Perhaps frozen and brought back with some version of the Super Soldier serum. But then why could he never know about that?

What else?
That he never died and Fury lied?
That was what they basically gave as the cover story but later implied that something else is going on, which Coulson himself doesn't know about and can't know the truth for some reason.
Coulson is Finkle.

Liked it. Coulson is money. "Don't touch Lola." "Bulb must have been out." "lt looks like poop with an arrow coming out." My guess is clone that doesn't know he's a clone.

A lot of Whedon alumni, the SHIELD Dr, the Hero and a lot of signature Whedon type stuff. Such as characters with mysterious back stories alluded to. We have Coulson's trip to "Tahiti," Sky's erased past, Ming Na no longer a field agent and starting out in the episode as a desk jockey. Car at the end was silly but a lot of other jokes got chuckles out of me.

How I Met Your Mother is ending this year so hopefully SHIELD is a hit and we get a lot more Cobie Smoulders in the future.

Stars 1.5 Chinese girls. 0.5 more than most any other show. I'm in. :thumbup:

And nice of Joss to give a job to Gunn. Hope he brings on more Angel/Buffy characters to the show.

Stars 1.5 Chinese girls. 0.5 more than most any other show. I'm in. :thumbup:

And nice of Joss to give a job to Gunn. Hope he brings on more Angel/Buffy characters to the show.
Whedon is pretty well known for using his alumni. Ron Glass from Firefly was also in this.

No one in the main cast though is a Whedon alumnus.

So I hadn't gotten a chance to watch this until last night. Yay Hulu. I liked it. And as for the car really that's the part everyone is going to focus in on? A flying car in a comic book story is the sticking point?

Anyway I thought it worked. Coulson is the glue. If they get too cute with him it will fall apart so they need to be careful with whatever it is he must never know that we all know he'll know at some point. Definitely in for going forward.

Actually getting back to where I want to watch TV a bit. Some scripted shows that actually work out there. Death to reality television!

10 Things You Need to Know About Last Night's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/culture/agents-of-shield-back-story-0913

The highly anticipated (and heavily promoted) pilot for Marvel's new ABC show Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Tuesday night may have left some lingering questions. The live-action hour-length series, created by Joss Whedon, is Marvel's latest expansion of the superhero universe cultivated in films like Iron Man and The Avengers. The show's origins are rooted in both in those films and the original comic books. The creators of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. see this series as something that doesn't necessitate any background knowledge of the Marvel universe, but still, there were some small references in the pilot that could use some explanation.

With the help of Jeph Loeb, head of Marvel TV, we've highlighted ten things you should know after seeing the pilot.

1. The pilot is set after the events of The Avengers, in which Chitauri aliens attacked New York City and were thwarted by the team of superheroes. There are a lot of references to The Avengers in the pilot, but Loeb says the show runners aren't presuming viewers watched it. "While it certainly helps for you to be aware of the Marvel universe — whether it's in comics or games or publishing or the movies — you don't have to," Loeb says. "It's completely open."

2. Cobie Smulders's appearance as Agent Maria Hill is a guest spot. The actress remains a cast member on CBS's How I Met Your Mother and will play a big role in the upcoming Captain America sequel. Her presence here is meant as a nice bonus for fans of her character from The Avengers. "We thought it would be great if possible," Loeb says. "Joss asked, Cobie was terrific, and we'd love to have her more."

3. Agent Coulson (Clark Gregg) is the central figure of the series. Coulson, who "died" in The Avengers, has been conveniently resurrected for the show. In the pilot, Coulson says that he stopped breathing and woke up in a grass shack in Tahiti, but that's apparently not the whole story. "The first time that Joss and I sat down to talk about the show we both agreed that a very exciting way of gaining an entry point for the audience would be to have Clark Gregg on the show," Loeb says. "So we never discussed any other version of S.H.I.E.L.D. that didn't have Clark in it. It was just a question of how we were going to do that and it became a very compelling way to kick the show off to have a secret."

4. Coulson's car, a red vintage piece he calls Lola, may look familiar. In Captain America, set in the 1940s, Cap and his friends visit the World's Fair, where inventor Howard Stark shows off his latest creation: a red car that flies. In that film the car fails to levitate successfully, but by the end of the pilot it's clear that S.H.I.E.L.D. has perfected the technology.

5. Speaking of Howard Stark, the origins of S.H.I.E.L.D. were recently further explored in a Marvel One-Shots short called "Agent Carter" that accompanied the DVD release of Iron Man 3. That clip, spinning off the character of Agent Carter from Captain America, helps set up the early formation of the organization following World War II. In the end of the short, Stark invites Agent Carter to join him in the creation of a new organization called S.H.I.E.L.D.

6. The technology and otherworldly phenomena on the show are all meant to be grounded in reality, even the alien hardware and centipede device that offers superhuman power. "We have always found that anything that is unexplained in the Marvel universe can be explained through science," Loeb says. "Even the concept of magic is not something that is unreal. It's just science we don't understand."

7. The centipede technology references several of the Marvel films. At one point in the pilot, Agent Simmons explains that the centipede device works in a way that's "very similar to the formula Dr. Erskine developed in the '40s." Dr. Erskine created the super-soldier program seen in Captain America that was revisited in The Incredible Hulk. The technology also references the "Extremis" plotline in Iron Man 3, involving a serum that can enable superior physical and mental changes. "If you've seen Iron Man 3 then you get a little smile because you know something," Loeb says about this plotline. "And if you don't then it really doesn't change much in terms of the impacts of the story. Anything else that comes from anywhere else in the Marvel universe is icing."

8. The premise of the series is that you don't need superpowers to make a difference, so although Thor or the Hulk could show up in the series, it's not integral to the plot. "Our ad line is very much the theme of the show," Loeb says. "'Not all heroes are super.' It's important that that's what we keep in mind whenever we're telling our stories. In a world, where for many people this is a difficult time, to be told that even the ordinary can be extraordinary, and anyone at any time can rise up and be a hero."

9. Subsequent episodes will unfold similarly to the pilot with self-contained storylines. "Each story will begin and end within a single episode," Loeb says. "However there will be emotional arcs that carry throughout. And there may be some elements of plot that get carried through, but you won't feel like you're watching a serialized show in any way." There may be an overarching threat or villain, but Loeb is mum on that. "That's a Level 7 question," he says.

10. If the series gets its 22-episode pickup (it has an order for 13 now), there may also be a possible connection to Captain America: The Winter Soldier next year, particularly as that film will be very much set in the S.H.I.E.L.D. universe. The movie comes out April 4, 2014, around the time the series might be airing a season finale. Says Loeb: "The best way of answering that is to say, 'Wouldn't that be fun?'"

9. Subsequent episodes will unfold similarly to the pilot with self-contained storylines. "Each story will begin and end within a single episode," Loeb says. "However there will be emotional arcs that carry throughout. And there may be some elements of plot that get carried through, but you won't feel like you're watching a serialized show in any way." There may be an overarching threat or villain, but Loeb is mum on that. "That's a Level 7 question," he says.
Firefly was mostly like that. The overall story developed, but the episodes stood on their own

Firefly was mostly like that. The overall story developed, but the episodes stood on their own
Hopefully it gets a longer run than poor Firefly. At least the pilot got shown first for Shield unlike what the brilliant minds at Fox decided with the Serenity Pilot :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I missed the pilot, but tried watching it last night. Agree that the girls are hot, but still only made it 15 minutes. The fake gun scenes were like something from a bad 80's movie. Oof.

Rather enjoyed last night's episode. Getting a bit of a Firefly feel with the whole motley crew thing.

"Tahiti."

"It's a magical place."

I'll keep watching because the overall premise is good. But the airplane scene was hilariously ridiculous.

And Leonor Varela is (still) smokin' hot.

I like how they have smokin' hot women who are older. (Varela is 41 and Ming Na turns 50 next month!)

We enjoyed the second episode. Fun cameo at end.

I am not sure how to interpet the last scene with Skye.

was the text response suppose to indicate that she has successfully infiltrated Shield, meaning she wanted to be caught and expected to be asked to join?
They are promoting that you should never miss the last couple of minutes which it appears where they are trying to add in what ever small arc they have.

was the text response suppose to indicate that she has successfully infiltrated Shield, meaning she wanted to be caught and expected to be asked to join?
They are promoting that you should never miss the last couple of minutes which it appears where they are trying to add in what ever small arc they have.

i thought
the text was asking if she was still in for the plan the rising hand (or whatever they are) had going on and she said she was in
But I'm sure I'm wrong

i thought
the text was asking if she was still in for the plan the rising hand (or whatever they are) had going on and she said she was in
But I'm sure I'm wrongThat makes more sense. So she is playing both sides maybe. I was confused by the text saying they were shutting down? I may have read it wrong though.

Digging this show so far, they're doing a great job of tying into the movies without it being crucial or too distracting. Will be bummed if it doesn't last a few seasons at least.

Have been a fan of Seychelle Gabriel since M Night Shyamalan's butchering of Avatar the Last Airbender. Great to see her in this.

Previews for episode 3 had a nice clip of her unrestrained sweater puppies bouncing about in a sun dress as she sprinted. God bless Joss.

As expected the Shield ratings dropped this week from the premier episode but it still pulled in a healthy 8.6 million viewers.

Hopefully it can hold this level in the coming weeks.

Another good start to a new show. Liking it. As to the spoiler stuff above

Yes, I think the text implies she is still (so far) working with Rising Tide and has now confirmed that she has successfully infiltrated Shield.

Yes, I think the text implies she is still (so far) working with Rising Tide and has now confirmed that she has successfully infiltrated Shield.
I asked my daughter and her friend this question (both are Marvel geeks).

My daughter agreed with Acer, but her friend thought like you and I did.

Safe to say this was pretty ambiguous I guess. Perhaps that was on purpose and not just poor writing.

Safe to say this was pretty ambiguous I guess. Perhaps that was on purpose and not just poor writing.
You really thought that was "poor writing"? :lol: Do you need everything spelled out for your on tv shows? Let the thing grow and get revealed later on.

You really thought that was "poor writing"? :lol: Do you need everything spelled out for your on tv shows? Let the thing grow and get revealed later on.
Agreed. I can see both sides to this. She definitely seemed pained, so I am sure she will be pulled by her previous affiliation and by the fact that she will care for her new team. Definitely going to drag that out a bit.

ETA: Dragging it out is fine with me, she is smoking.

You really thought that was "poor writing"? :lol: Do you need everything spelled out for your on tv shows? Let the thing grow and get revealed later on.You misunderstood me. If they wanted it to be ambiguous it was good writing, if they were trying to make a specific point, they did not do a good job.

I love arc based stories so I am more than happy to let it be revealed later but that was not my point.

Users who are viewing this thread