What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** 2013 New TV Show Cancellation Contest (Maik J wins) (1 Viewer)

I only watched one episode of the new show Rake with Greg Kinnear. It wasn't bad. Kinda reminds me of that show Terriers from a few years ago. I'm a fan of Kinnear so I'll give it another episode or two.

Upsetting, but time I guess...Psych Cancelled
So that's what USA does when it's voted best comedy on cable TV for People Choice. Sad. I love that show.
Yeah, I think I'd feel better if it was "the cast decided not to return for a 9th season" rather than a "USA cancelled." It is my favorite dramady, probably of all time.
Not sure if there was any unexplored territory left in that universe, but I will miss hanging out with those characters, especially Shawn Spencestar and Gus T.T. Showbiz ("the extra T is for extra talent").

NBC finally called it quits on The Michael J. Fox Show.
The show wasn't terrible, just awfully formulaic. You saw every set-up and punchline coming a mile away. It seemed more of an 80's sitcom than "Family Ties". I read that NBC contractually committed to twenty-two episodes, but have only aired fifteen. Do they have to pick up the costs for the remaining shows as well as pay for the show occupying the new slot?
I would imagine they'll owe the license fee for the unaired episodes as part of a "pay or play" deal. As far as the show replacing it, the new timeslot occupant is "Hollywood Game Night", which must cost about $73 to make an episode of.
Turns out that the MJFox show started shooting so early that all 22 episodes have already been shot & paid for by the network. So while it's off the schedule immediately, NBC will probably "burn off" the unaired episodes later in the year. Assume a lousy Saturday or Sunday night in June or July.
Any chance during the burnoff that NBC will rebrand it as "The Bunk Is Still Strictly A Suit And Tie Mother####er", or are they contractually bound to call it "The Michael J Fox Show"?

Agree with lots of other folks on how in the world do major networks continue to find audiences. The shows are mostly vanilla and stale.
You just described most of the viewing public. I think the people that frequent this board lose sight about how the majority views TV, books, politics, etc.

I know I'm way behind in scoring. Just a placeholder post that today ABC announced there will be no second season of "Once Upon A Time in Wonderland". It does not appear anyone picked it.

Enlisted: last aired 3/28/14, FOX announced it was off the schedule on 3/26, pending official network announcement Canceled 5/7

Sleepy Hollow: renewed

Lucky 7: canceled

Betrayal: last aired 1/19/14. Don't see any official decision notice yet. Canceled 5/9

We Are Men: canceled

Once Upon a Time in Wonderland: canceled

Dads: TBD canceled 5/7

Trophy Wife: canceled 5/8

The Crazy Ones: canceled 5/10

Dracula: Last aired 1/24/14. Don't see any official decision notice yet. Canceled 5/10

Reign: Renewed

Ironside: Canceled

The Goldbergs: renewed

Junior Masterchef: renewed for Season 2 and Season 3

Super Fun Night: canceled 5/9

Brooklyn Nine-Nine: renewed

Hostages: canceled, have to figure out exact date of notice officially on 5/10

Michael J Fox Show: last aired 1/23/14. Not officially canceled yet. Canceled 5/11

Welcome to the Family: canceled

Back in the Game: canceled

Sean Saves the World: canceled 1/28/14, last aired 1/23/14

Almost Human: canceled 4/29/14, last aired 3/3/14

The Millers: renewed

Marvel's Agents of SHIELD: renewed

The Originals: renewed

The Tomorrow People: Canceled 5/8

Mom: renewed

The Blacklist: renewed

Last edited by a moderator:
When are upfronts? I still have a shot at 5/5, the link below has Trophy Wife and Super Fat Night both likely to get cancelled.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/04/20/bubble-watch-almost-human-trophy-wife-the-mentalist-and-the-tomorrow-people-still-likely-canceled/255690/
Upfronts are next week. NBC announces 5/12, so does FOX. ABC on 5/13, CBS on 5/14, and CW on 5/15.

Contest officially runs through the last day of the season, 5/12, for scoring purposes. It's possible that some bubble shows may not officially know their fate until then. Shows not announced at the upfront might still be renewed as potential winter/midseason replacements.

When are upfronts? I still have a shot at 5/5, the link below has Trophy Wife and Super Fat Night both likely to get cancelled.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/04/20/bubble-watch-almost-human-trophy-wife-the-mentalist-and-the-tomorrow-people-still-likely-canceled/255690/
Upfronts are next week. NBC announces 5/12, so does FOX. ABC on 5/13, CBS on 5/14, and CW on 5/15.

Contest officially runs through the last day of the season, 5/12, for scoring purposes. It's possible that some bubble shows may not officially know their fate until then. Shows not announced at the upfront might still be renewed as potential winter/midseason replacements.
I think the rules in your first post indicate that it goes through 5/21, which would make sense that it would be after the upfronts.

4) Contest scoring accumulates through the final night of May Sweeps (May 21, 2014). The "cancellation date" for a show is the last original episode airdate prior to the network announcing the removal of a show from the regular primetime schedule, and cessation of show production (a show removed from the fall schedule, but which continues production for relaunch on a regular primetime night later in the scoring period with original episodes is not considered canceled. Neither is a change of timeslot a cancellation. However, shows announced as removed from the schedule, but with original episodes airing irregularly as part of a contractual obligation after production has halted, typically but not necessarily on weekends, afternoons, or during holiday periods, (also known as "burn off") are still considered canceled as of the last original air date prior to the network announcement). Shows not renewed for a second season by the final date of the contest are considered canceled, provided the show's network has presented a 2014-15 TV season schedule without the show at an Upfront Presentation before the end of the contest scoring period. Dated cancellation confirmation (not "rumors") posts from Deadline.com will be used to determine the network announcement dates. TV Media Insights, TheFutonCritic, and the MediaWeek websites, or other such television industry news sources, may also be used at the official scorer's discretion (that's me). The official scorer may change, clarify, or modify rules at his own discretion at any time, and may otherwise rule on any discrepancies, confusions, or other points of order as they arise. All decisions are final. The contest is presented in AS-IS condition with no warranties, guarantees, or refunds.

Trophy Wife gone. Just waiting on Super Fat Night. I think per the rules if it gets left off the upfront schedule by the end of scoring it could be considered cancelled.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/agents-of-shield-returns-plus-other-abc-renewals-cancellations/
Super Fun Night is gone: http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2014/05/09/abc-pulls-the-plug-on-suburgatory-super-fun-night-21411/10875/

not a good year for me
All of a sudden,all 5 of my picks are now cancelled.

Fennis:Dads (FOX). Tuesdays at 8PM. Premieres 9/17. Odds 8:1, Bonus +6

Trophy Wife (ABC). Tuesdays at 930PM. Premieres 9/24. Odds 7:1, Bonus +9

Welcome to the Family (NBC). Thursdays at 830PM. Premieres 10/3. Odds 4:1, Bonus +18

Super Fun Night (ABC)http://www.thefutoncritic.com/showatch/super-fun-night/. Wednesdays at 930PM. Premieres 10/2. Odds 5:1, Bonus +15

Back in the Game (ABC). Wednesdays at 830PM. Premieres 9/25. Odds 3:1, Bonus +21

tie breaker: 10/11

Trophy Wife gone. Just waiting on Super Fat Night. I think per the rules if it gets left off the upfront schedule by the end of scoring it could be considered cancelled.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/agents-of-shield-returns-plus-other-abc-renewals-cancellations/
Super Fun Night is gone: http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2014/05/09/abc-pulls-the-plug-on-suburgatory-super-fun-night-21411/10875/

not a good year for me

Welcome to the Family (NBC). Thursdays at 830PM. Premieres 10/3. Odds 4:1, Bonus +18

Super Fun Night (ABC)http://www.thefutoncritic.com/showatch/super-fun-night/. Wednesdays at 930PM. Premieres 10/2. Odds 5:1, Bonus +15

Back in the Game (ABC). Wednesdays at 830PM. Premieres 9/25. Odds 3:1, Bonus +21

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:18 PM

Ironside (NBC). Wednesdays at 10PM. Premieres 10/2. Odds 6:1, Bonus +12

We Are Men (CBS). Mondays at 830PM. Premieres 9/30. Odds 8:1, Bonus +6

Dads (FOX). Tuesdays at 8PM. Premieres 9/17. Odds 8:1, Bonus +6

Super Fun Night (ABC). Wednesdays at 930PM. Premieres 10/2. Odds 5:1, Bonus +15

Sean Saves the World (NBC). Thursdays at 9PM. Premieres 10/3. Odds 3:1, Bonus +21

Me too.

not a good year for me

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:18 PM

Ironside (NBC). Wednesdays at 10PM. Premieres 10/2. Odds 6:1, Bonus +12

We Are Men (CBS). Mondays at 830PM. Premieres 9/30. Odds 8:1, Bonus +6

Dads (FOX). Tuesdays at 8PM. Premieres 9/17. Odds 8:1, Bonus +6

Super Fun Night (ABC). Wednesdays at 930PM. Premieres 10/2. Odds 5:1, Bonus +15

Sean Saves the World (NBC). Thursdays at 9PM. Premieres 10/3. Odds 3:1, Bonus +21

Me too.
Me three :pickle:

Corporation:

Lucky 7 (ABC)

Trophy Wife (ABC)

Super Fun Night (ABC)

Back in the Game (ABC)

Sean Saves the World (NBC)

October 8 as tiebreaker

ETA: I didn't realize until I pasted this that I had a thing against ABC this year.

I was surprised "The Crazy Ones" wasn't given another year. It wasn't a great show, but it seemed to find a stride in the last half dozen episodes. When Robin Williams reins it in, he's a compelling actor.

Interesting how the two big names of the season--Williams and Michael J. Fox--both fizzled out.

With 'Super Fun Night' officially gone, I'm now 5/5 too. Whew. That would have been embarrassing.

The networks waited until this weekend to make official announcements about a lot of shows that we've strongly suspected would be canceled. "Michael J. Fox", "Betrayal", and "Hostages" only got their legal walking papers over the last few days.

I've updated the above post with my best info for when the network notices went out, looks like the verdict is in on all series. Gimme some time to work backwards from the dates and figure out the official order and scoring per the rules.

I was surprised "The Crazy Ones" wasn't given another year. It wasn't a great show, but it seemed to find a stride in the last half dozen episodes. When Robin Williams reins it in, he's a compelling actor.

Interesting how the two big names of the season--Williams and Michael J. Fox--both fizzled out.
i thought it was terrible, but i gave up in february or march

With 'Super Fun Night' officially gone, I'm now 5/5 too. Whew. That would have been embarrassing.

The networks waited until this weekend to make official announcements about a lot of shows that we've strongly suspected would be canceled. "Michael J. Fox", "Betrayal", and "Hostages" only got their legal walking papers over the last few days.

I've updated the above post with my best info for when the network notices went out, looks like the verdict is in on all series. Gimme some time to work backwards from the dates and figure out the official order and scoring per the rules.
Thanks again for running this. Had a great time tracking the TV chopping block through this contest, even though my fate in the contest was sealed when people kept watching The Millers. Always enjoy reading your insight into the TV business.

Thanks again for running this. Had a great time tracking the TV chopping block through this contest, even though my fate in the contest was sealed when people kept watching The Millers. Always enjoy reading your insight into the TV business.
The one preview they had for that was terrible (kid swearing/Arnett news report)

Still think the show is mediocre...but good enough draw for CBS' core audience (people who tune to 2.5 Men and BBT weekly)

Congrats to Maik Jeaunz, who pulled out to an early lead and could not get caught!

I finished in second again. Last year I lost by 17. This year, less than 0.5. :bag:

Scores:

Maik Jeaunz: 419.85

Sarnoff: 419.42

Slax: 410.58

SoCalBroncoFan: 409.24

Corporation: 397.72

Nick Vermeil: 396.84

jamny: 393.16

The Hank: 382.71

collective: 360.52

Bruce Dickinson: 356.42

Fennis: 348.91

Cold Dead Hands: 338.98

Hodor: 326.86

Fat Nick: 323.04

Trd Ferguson: 320.8

Acer FC: 312.01

spOOfy: 308.04

by_the_sea_wannabe: 295.79

Rove!: 245.52

Quint: 228.44

Rayderr: 198.92

jobber: 182.6

bro1ncos: 143.6

In Memoriam:

First Cancelation: "Lucky 7", 10/4/14, aired 2 episodes, picked by: me, Nick Vermeil, Corporation, Bruce Dickinson, Trd Ferguson. Last original airdate: 10/1 (Contest Tiebreaker)

2nd: "We Are Men", 10/9, last airdate 10/7, aired 2 episodes. Picked by: me, jamny, Maik Jeaunz, SoCalBroncoFan, by_the_sea_wannabe, Cold Dead Hands, Bruce Dickinson, spOOfy, The Hank

3rd: "Ironside", 10/18, last airdate 10/16, aired 3 episodes, picked by: Slax, Nick Vermeil, Fat Nick, jamny, Maik Jeaunz, Collective, AcerFC, Hodor, SoCalBroncoFan, Cold Dead Hands, and Rove!

4th: "Welcome to the Family", 10/18, last airdate 10/17, aired 3, picked by Maik Jeaunz, Fennis, and AcerFC

5th: "Back in the Game", 11/1, last airdate 10/30, aired 6, picked by Quint, Rayderr, Slax, Nick Vermeil, Fat Nick, Corporation, jamny, collective, hodor, spOOfy, The Hank, and Fennis

6th: "Hostages", last airdate 1/6, aired 15, picked by no one.

7th: "Betrayal", announced 5/9, last airdate 1/19, aired 13, picked by collective and spOOfy.

And, the rest:
"Sean Saves the World": announced 1/29, last airdate 1/23, aired 13, picked by Sarnoff, Slax, corporation, Maik Jeaunz, Acer FC, SoCalBroncoFan, jobber, by_the_sea_wannabe, Cold Dead Hands, Bruce Dickinson, the hank, rove!, Trd Ferguson

"Michael J Fox Show": announced 5/10, last airdate 1/23, aired 15, picked by no one

"Dracula": announced 5/10, last airdate 1/24, aired 10, picked by bro1ncos, Fat Nick, and The Hank

"Dads": announced 5/7, last aired 2/11, aired 18, picked by Rayderr, Slax, Nick Vermeil, jamny, collective, Hodor, SoCalBroncoFan, by_the_sea_wannabe, Trd Ferguson, and Fennis

"Super Fun Night": announced 5/9, last air 2/19, aired 17, picked by Sarnoff, Quint, bro1ncos, Rayderr, Slax, Fat Nick, corporation, collective, Hodor, SoCalBroncoFan, jobber, by_the_sea_wannabe, Cold Dead Hands, Bruce Dickinson, spOOfy, The Hank, Rove!, Trd Ferguson, and Fennis

"Almost Human": Announced 4/30, last air 3/3, aired 13, picked by no one.

"Enlisted": Announced 5/7, last air 4/4, aired 10, picked by Slax.

"Once Upon a Time in Wonderland": Announced 3/28, last aired 3/27, aired 12, picked by no one.

"The Crazy Ones": announced 5/10, last aired 4/17, aired 22, picked by Sarnoff

"The Tomorrow People": announced 5/9, last aired 5/5, aired 22, picked by no one

"The Trophy Wife": announced 5/9, last aired 5/13, aired 22, picked by Fennis, Corporation, Quint, and jobber

Congrats to Maik, and thanks to Sarnoff for running the contest. Had a great time participating despite finishing back in the pack. Stupid Millers watchers.

Sarnoff - if you have a moment, any insight on Trophy Wife not getting any traction with viewers? Strong cast, attractive female lead, sharp writing, IMO it was one of the funniest shows on any network this spring. Would it still be around if ABC had slotted it on Wednesday at 8:30 or 9:30 around veteran family-centered sitcoms?

4/5 for me. In retrospect, the "Mom" pick was pretty stupid with it's pedigree. I'll have to dig a little deeper into the politics before finalizing my 2014/15 entry.

Congrats to Maik, and thanks to Sarnoff for running the contest. Had a great time participating despite finishing back in the pack. Stupid Millers watchers.

Sarnoff - if you have a moment, any insight on Trophy Wife not getting any traction with viewers? Strong cast, attractive female lead, sharp writing, IMO it was one of the funniest shows on any network this spring. Would it still be around if ABC had slotted it on Wednesday at 8:30 or 9:30 around veteran family-centered sitcoms?
Don't know much about Trophy Wife. I know that ABC did not get the viewership they expected on that night out of Agents of SHIELD. That show fizzled, and may have brought down the whole night. My gut says timeslot definitely didn't help, The Goldbergs wasn't going to build as a lead-in. It was up against "The Voice", which is the current ratings juggernaut, and the "chick comedies" on FOX of New Girl & Mindy Project. Once NBC and FOX peeled large chunks of the target audience at 9pm, not many were going to flip back to ABC at 9:30. You're right that 830/930 Wed. would have been a better option, although both shows ABC plugged in there in the fall also bombed.

Sometimes the marketing just doesn't take, too. Not clearly sold on the concept or the attraction.

Are we doing one of these contests this year? I see Sarnoff has been erased from the boards.

Users who are viewing this thread