What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jordy Nelson (2 Viewers)

I just drafted him with my second pick yesterday. Now I have to figure out who I'm going to replace him with. Do I just take Janis from the same team or do I find a player from another team. Williams in Dallas is available and so is Jones in Cinci.
That sucks, man.

I'll never understand those who draft before the preseason ends. What happened to Jordy is EXACTLY why I wait.
Get back to us when you don't rotate your schedule around magic football.

Just my opinion--but seems a bit odd that no news has come out yet. I can't imagine and MRI taking that long--but maybe there is still too much swelling in the knee? I'm not a medical expert--but if it ends up not being a torn ACL--what is the best case scenario? A really bad sprained knee?

Just my opinion--but seems a bit odd that no news has come out yet. I can't imagine and MRI taking that long--but maybe there is still too much swelling in the knee? I'm not a medical expert--but if it ends up not being a torn ACL--what is the best case scenario? A really bad sprained knee?
Just seems like torture for anyone holding out hope. I cant recall a single instance of an initial ACL diagnosis NOT ultimately being an ACL.

I don't think it seems that odd. The injury occurred Sunday afternoon. They probably know but most likely have a normal Monday press conference where it will be announced.

Well if you hear explosions later, that will be half the ff community errupting because Jordy is going to be fine and half of the owners in redraft dropped him

I just drafted him with my second pick yesterday. Now I have to figure out who I'm going to replace him with. Do I just take Janis from the same team or do I find a player from another team. Williams in Dallas is available and so is Jones in Cinci.
That sucks, man.

I'll never understand those who draft before the preseason ends. What happened to Jordy is EXACTLY why I wait.
Well, I was asked three days before the draft to join their league and I really wanting to get in it. I'm assuming it was the only weekend that worked for their group of guys except for the one person who I replaced. This weekend I'm flying from Iowa to Houston for another draft and the was the best weekend that worked for everyone and that league has 24 people in it. After this weekend it's the start of college football and my wife and I have season tickets to Iowa games. The rest of the weekend is a holiday and with two kids I'm sure I'll be busy. Don't be surprised if I manage to fit an online draft in there though.

Injuries are just part of the game and there is nothing any of us can do about it. In 2011 I spent a third of my auction budget on Charles and he only played one mediocre game and then tore his ACL. I think of the Charles scenario being much worse since I had him starting the game he got hurt and sticking me with no points that game. Then I also was stuck trying to find a replacement with short notice. At least now I have a couple weeks to replace Nelson. He'll be long forgotten by the middle of the season.

i was not watching the game but it was as if a million voices cried out in terror and then were suddenly silenced brohans so i turned it on and bam i realized the dark side of the brohan force had won take that to the bank

When Packers receiver Jordy Nelsonsuffered a serious knee injury in Sunday’s preseason game, it intensified the already prevalent questions around the league about whether it’s time to cut back on the preseason. But one NFL player believes that there’s no point in doing that.

Lions safety Glover Quin said today that God will decide every player’s fate, and changing the NFL’s preseason schedule can’t change that.

“I hated Jordy got hurt, but in my beliefs, and the way I believe, it was — God meant for Jordy to get hurt,” Quin said. “So if he wouldn’t have got hurt today, if he wouldn’t have played in that game, if he wouldn’t have practiced anymore, and the next time he walked on the field would have been opening day, I feel like he would have got hurt opening day. So in that sense, now they’ve got three weeks to make adjustments and prepare before opening day, as opposed to it happening opening day and now you’re in the season and now Jordy gets hurt. It happening in the preseason, you hate that it happened, but that gives them time to make adjustments and try to find something.”

"Thou shalt keepeth the NFL pre-season as it is, and so shall it be hereafter, for the Lord doth enjoy smiting His fantasy opponent's best players within hours after drafting."

Isaiah 1:10

Last edited by a moderator:
When Packers receiver Jordy Nelsonsuffered a serious knee injury in Sunday’s preseason game, it intensified the already prevalent questions around the league about whether it’s time to cut back on the preseason. But one NFL player believes that there’s no point in doing that.

Lions safety Glover Quin said today that God will decide every player’s fate, and changing the NFL’s preseason schedule can’t change that.

“I hated Jordy got hurt, but in my beliefs, and the way I believe, it was — God meant for Jordy to get hurt,” Quin said. “So if he wouldn’t have got hurt today, if he wouldn’t have played in that game, if he wouldn’t have practiced anymore, and the next time he walked on the field would have been opening day, I feel like he would have got hurt opening day. So in that sense, now they’ve got three weeks to make adjustments and prepare before opening day, as opposed to it happening opening day and now you’re in the season and now Jordy gets hurt. It happening in the preseason, you hate that it happened, but that gives them time to make adjustments and try to find something.”
WhackJob

I just wish ESPN leagues would just list him as out instead of doubtful so I can pick up someone else. Wayne could be an interesting replacement....maybe he has some tread left on the tires.

See also: The Ring

I don't think it seems that odd. The injury occurred Sunday afternoon. They probably know but most likely have a normal Monday press conference where it will be announced.
Read this morning that we were unlikely to hear straight from McCarthy or anyone today. There were no scheduled media sessions today.

Not that they couldn't call or leak it or whatever.

@ERICROGERSBRAND: #Packers are sending Jordy Nelson's MRI results via enigma machine and will be announced in time to end the next world war.

It took roughly 4 seconds for the prelim and were headed to 40 hours for the MRI results.

Any half-baked theories from "doctors". who actually have PhDs? I'll listen to anybody's theory if it offers hope.

It took roughly 4 seconds for the prelim and were headed to 40 hours for the MRI results.

Any half-baked theories from "doctors". who actually have PhDs? I'll listen to anybody's theory if it offers hope.
Too much swelling? Either that or the Packers don't give two ####s about the fantasy community and will announce the injury on their own time table. I'm not sure if the NFL dictates a timetable for teams to announce injuries before the start of the season.

@ERICROGERSBRAND: #Packers are sending Jordy Nelson's MRI results via enigma machine and will be announced in time to end the next world war.
I just heard that they hired a carrier pigeon that will fly the results into the NFL Network sometime next month.

You would think they wouldn't have let him walk to the locker room on his own if they thought he had an ACL.
You'd think that but I was at the game that Brady blew out his knee and he walked out off on his own. I remember thinking that it couldn't be a serious knee injury b/c they let him walk off. Not a doctor but I think once its torn there isn't a lot more damage that you can do by walking on it. Perhaps Dr. Bramel will weigh in on this.
theres been quite a few athletes that continue playing for extended amounts of time with torn acls. i remember leon powe played the entire quarter with his acl torn.

walking to the locker room isnt gonna do that much damage. hell, they sometimes make these guys wait for months to get surgery to let the swelling go down or if the mcl is damaged too. i would be very surprised if they make them use crutches for that period.

Reading through this page of the thread, I found it funny that people think they needed to hear about the MRI to know that Jordy tore his ACL.

I agree with him in the sense that it doesn't make much difference that it happened in a preseason game

It could have happened in practice (like Benjamin)

If there were only 2 preseason games this week would have been week 2 so he still would have been hurt in a preseason game

Yenrub said:
B-Deep said:

I agree with him in the sense that it doesn't make much difference that it happened in a preseason game

If there were only 2 preseason games this week would have been week 2 so he still would have been hurt in a preseason game
Not necessarily he would have hurt it, we can't predict anything. But yes, he had just as good of a chance NFL week 1 then he did last week. Probably more of a chance, but still unlikely. Dropping the preseason would do nothing. It's important, and teams are welcome to not suit up their top guys at all.

Yenrub said:
B-Deep said:

Not necessarily he would have hurt it, we can't predict anything. But yes, he had just as good of a chance NFL week 1 then he did last week. Probably more of a chance, but still unlikely. Dropping the preseason would do nothing. It's important, and teams are welcome to not suit up their top guys at all.
Its definitely important to fill out the roster with guys who are not the stars.

Was being discussed on Mike and Mike. Those back of the roster guys don't have the same practices they used to have years ago. Less contact, less physical play in camps and practices...these games are the only way to really show what those guys have.

Yenrub said:
B-Deep said:

Its definitely important to fill out the roster with guys who are not the stars.

Was being discussed on Mike and Mike. Those back of the roster guys don't have the same practices they used to have years ago. Less contact, less physical play in camps and practices...these games are the only way to really show what those guys have.
Right. And isn't it the coaches choice to play the stars or not? If injuries to stars is such an issue that you want to drop preseason games, why not just sit your stars if you're that worried about it? I guess people would want to go see preseason games even less that way, but still.

I am sure they could shorten preseason, but even the "stars" need some live action before the season starts in order to actually be ready for the start of the season.

If they got rid of preseason, or if none of the main guys played, the first few weeks of the season would be straight up ugly, and probably lead to WAY more injuries actually.

Every injured player is ahead of schedule in their rehab right up until the point they're not.

Every injured player is ahead of schedule in their rehab right up until the point they're not.
Yeah, every time I hear a guy is ahead of schedule I wonder exactly what schedule they are referring to. Where are these schedules? When were they created? Does it take age into account?

Seems like a silly piece of news without any substance added.

Yeah, every time I hear a guy is ahead of schedule I wonder exactly what schedule they are referring to. Where are these schedules? When were they created? Does it take age into account?

The schedule is for non-athletes who aren't taking HGH.

The schedule is for non-athletes who aren't taking HGH.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJxVQTYkQ04

Rotoworld:

Coach Mike McCarthy said Jordy Nelson (knee) "looks great" and is "so far ahead with the rehab."

Nelson suffered a torn ACL back in the preseason and missed the entire year. It was a challenge for the Packers to replace him, as Randall Cobb had a horrible season in the slot, while Davante Adams was a major flop as a sophomore. The saving grace was adding James Jones after he was cut by the Giants. Jones scored eight times, but he's a free agent. Nelson will turn 31 in May, but the Packers badly need him to return to his previous form. He should be ready for camp.

Jan 18 - 6:42 PM

Jordy is the son of a farmer and country strong. I have no worries about him in 2016. I believe he'll return to form. Some will point out that he will be 31 next season but I've seen too many WRs remain effective into their mid 30s. I'm counting on 3 more solid years of WR1 production from Jordy staring in 2016.

Jordy is the son of a farmer and country strong. I have no worries about him in 2016. I believe he'll return to form. Some will point out that he will be 31 next season but I've seen too many WRs remain effective into their mid 30s. I'm counting on 3 more solid years of WR1 production from Jordy staring in 2016.
Thing is, how many of those WRs suffered torn ACLs while in their 30s?

There's a pretty significant difference between a torn ACL at 24 and a torn ACL at 30. Not only does recovery itself take longer, but a 30 year old will lose more of his physical abilities at 30 than if he was 24. And as everyone knows, the older you get, the harder it is to get it back.

I think Jordy has a pretty decent shot to get back to form, but there is no chance I am valuing him as though it's a certainty.

There's a pretty significant difference between a torn ACL at 24 and a torn ACL at 30. Not only does recovery itself take longer, but a 30 year old will lose more of his physical abilities at 30 than if he was 24. And as everyone knows, the older you get, the harder it is to get it back.

I think Jordy has a pretty decent shot to get back to form, but there is no chance I am valuing him as though it's a certainty.
I understand the numbers and agree with what you're saying. He will be a great value draft next year who has a very good chance at WR1, imo. That's what's great about Jordy in 2016. And you just know Rodgers will have a chip after the below expected numbers he put up this season. He's a great buy in dynasty as well if you can get him relatively cheap.

So while I agree he's definitely not a lock, I will be drafting Jordy a ton next year. I think the trend in ACL recovery has rapidly improved in the last 5 years even.

I understand the numbers and agree with what you're saying. He will be a great value draft next year who has a very good chance at WR1, imo. That's what's great about Jordy in 2016. And you just know Rodgers will have a chip after the below expected numbers he put up this season. He's a great buy in dynasty as well if you can get him relatively cheap.

So while I agree he's definitely not a lock, I will be drafting Jordy a ton next year. I think the trend in ACL recovery has rapidly improved in the last 5 years even.
I do not see him as a great value play next year. If he is all set to be back week 1 then I see people drafting him darn near where he was before the injury. Not saying that is a bad pick, but I don't see it as any sort of "value pick".

When you say he is a great buy if you can get him cheap, what kind of price are you talking? Projected late future 1st? Sure, I would pay that. I can't see people selling for that though

Users who are viewing this thread