What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sam Bradford (1 Viewer)

Definitely not helped by his OC or by the receivers who kept dropping passes. But all the excuses he used to have were supposedly resolved and we're still getting this.

Bradford has been showing us for years now that he's merely average. It's time we all accept it.
Agreed. I've never bought into the Bradford hype. This guy has been skating by based on the perception of his rookie season when he had the most conservative play call in the NFL and was never really challenged as a passer. That said, I do think he's getting or going to get too much of the blame now. The fact of the matter is this St. L team isn't very good offensively. It starts upfront with an oline unit that has severely underperformed expectations. The addition of Long seems to have made this unit worse, not better. This is leading to an ineffective running game and the St. L RBs are bad enough in their own right. They don't need the oline emphasizing it. Then we have this ridiculous notion heading into the season that Austin was going to be one of the best WRs in the NFL from day one and revolutionize the St. L offense. Well, he too has been a major disappointment. People keep waiting for him to be used down field more or be put in space but fail to see that it's not happening because he just not getting open downfield or able to create seperation on his own. This just further emphasizes how silly it is to expect major things out of rookie WRs. Sure it can happen but its rare. Cook seems to be the only aspect of this offense that is working but he's not a Graham or Gates type talent and can never carry that unit alone. He needs to be a complement to the overall scheme.

So yeah. Bradford kind of sucks, but it's not just him that's the problem.

Nah. Watching the game last night, his supposed "stronger weapons" aren't getting open. Austin was severely overhyped. Cook drops passes and can't pass or run block. Pettis is pedestrian at best. Quick looks worse than his rookie year. They have givens running solely short routes for some reason. I remember the replay of the INT. Austin, Givens, Cook, Pettis all on the field, all run short routes, nobody gets open, then the protection sucks. And that's typical. I think they have SOME talent, but not like people were expecting. The QB definitely has to make some plays for sure, but the play calling needs much more imagination IMO.

Reposting this from the Shotty thread...

Matt Waldman discussed this during the Audible last night with Bradford. He has all the talent in the world but he's never had a steady even remotely good coaching staff and he never had that good veteran receiver that so many of these other young rookie QBs get. RG3 had Garcon and Moss, Kaep had Crabtree, Rogers had Driver, Luck had Wayne, Wilson had Rice, Cam had Smith. None of these guys really 'world class hall of famers' but they're pros who have been around the block and they're guys you can count on to run the right routes and be where they're supposed to be. Which helps build confidence in a young QB. Bradford's never had that, even now he still just has a bunch of young WRs with a lot of talent but they're learning the game with him. Instead of being that essential cog for him to go to when he's in trouble.

Bradford for Freeman. I'll draw up the paperwork.
Man, would I love that trade as a fan. Give Bradford Jackson and Williams and Martin? He may finally come into form as the guy we thought he was after his rookie season. Although as a Tavon Austin dynasty owner, that sounds awful.

The NFL is the only one of the four major sports where a trade like this wouldn't at least have the potential to happen.

It's kind of a shame, too, because it really could be a win for every one of the four parties involved. Bradford with an actual first-tier RB and deep threat, and Freeman out from under Schiano's thumb and let loose on the turf at the Jones Dome, actually makes a lot more sense than the current state of affairs.

lolst louis would win this trade easily lmaooo
Yeah, I think you'd need to see like... Bradford for Freeman and a 1st or 2nd rounder to get a deal like that even close to done in realistic terms.
i actually see bradford and 2 1st rounder for freeman and a 5th rounder

maybe we see things differently. at least freeman has an arm and leg, though inconsistent. and height too.

Yeah, I think you'd need to see like... Bradford for Freeman and a 1st or 2nd rounder to get a deal like that even close to done in realistic terms.

maybe we see things differently. at least freeman has an arm and leg, though inconsistent. and height too.
What? How does Bradford and 2 First Round picks for Freeman and a 5th round pick make any sense? Freeman has been quit on by his team and has the worst completion % among starting QBs through 3 games. Bradford is viewed by the Rams front office as their franchise QB and they're even trying to get his agent to start talking long term contract. So I'll repeat... what?

What? How does Bradford and 2 First Round picks for Freeman and a 5th round pick make any sense? Freeman has been quit on by his team and has the worst completion % among starting QBs through 3 games. Bradford is viewed by the Rams front office as their franchise QB and they're even trying to get his agent to start talking long term contract. So I'll repeat... what?
Because Bradford's contract sucks and so does he.

Bradford and Freeman are both barely above the Ponders and Gabberts of the league. Neither have developed their game at all.

Bradford played pretty well the first two weeks of the season. I think it's worth noting that in the two games his RT Saffold has missed, the Oline has been putrid and he as a result has been horrible.

A complete lack of ingenuity and a terrible Oline are to blame as well.

However, lets face it, Bradford is just an average QB. He's not as bad as he looked last night, but he's never going to be a star qb.

Bradford comes across as mentally defeated. His body language and expression exude lack of confidence. Hopefully he's not too mentally defeated to later revive his career, but I don't think that he'll be able to get over this mental hurdle in St. Louis.

Bradford comes across as mentally defeated. His body language and expression exude lack of confidence. Hopefully he's not too mentally defeated to later revive his career, but I don't think that he'll be able to get over this mental hurdle in St. Louis.
Aka the David Carr effect.

Rams planning on paying Bradford boatloads of cash in a new extension. Fisher quoted as saying "Yes, he is a stinky Turd, but he's our stinky Turd".

Rams planning on paying Bradford boatloads of cash in a new extension. Fisher quoted as saying "Yes, he is a stinky Turd, but he's our stinky Turd".
Actually, I think they are trying to extend him because he's already making boatloads of cash but they want to reduce his cap number by spreading it out. His cap hit the next two years is like 17 million a season. :doh:

Bradford is broken. He's played behind too many bad offensive lines, under too many offensive coordinators, and throwing to too many schmucks to be salvagable at this point. He's got full blown David Carr Syndrome, complete with default fetal position in a pass rush.

I was pleased with the progress of Bradford....until the last 2 games. No idea what happened. He doesn't look right all of a sudden.

His OL is absolutely horrible all of a sudden....11 sacks in the last 2 games. I didn't see a hole big enough for anything to get through all night...it was like a solid wall....and they were all over Bradford almost every snap. Bradford was horrible even when he had some time though....missed a guy wide open in the end zone, missed several other passes badly and then when he did throw a catchable ball they were dropped. He got so used to the constant pressure he started to go into the fetal position almost as soon as the ball was snapped, then when he doesn't go down he looks so surprised. The play calling was horrible....how many times do you run Richardson straight up the gut for no gain before you try a different approach? It was 2nd and 10, 3rd and 10 all night. They run him straight ahead on 2nd and 2 and he loses a yard. And it looked like he tried to run through the same spot every time. Unreal.

fantasycurse42 said:
Outside of Gabbert, Bradford has to be in the discussion for worst starter, right?
As aggressively mediocre as Bradford has been recently, his ANY/A is still over a full yard better than Ponder's this year and a half-yard better over his career.

I will say that once you get nos. 31 and 32 out of the way on that list, though, Bradford makes a strong case for #30.

Dragon1952 said:
His OL is absolutely horrible all of a sudden....11 sacks in the last 2 games. I didn't see a hole big enough for anything to get through all night...it was like a solid wall....and they were all over Bradford almost every snap. Bradford was horrible even when he had some time though....missed a guy wide open in the end zone, missed several other passes badly and then when he did throw a catchable ball they were dropped. He got so used to the constant pressure he started to go into the fetal position almost as soon as the ball was snapped, then when he doesn't go down he looks so surprised. The play calling was horrible....how many times do you run Richardson straight up the gut for no gain before you try a different approach? It was 2nd and 10, 3rd and 10 all night. They run him straight ahead on 2nd and 2 and he loses a yard. And it looked like he tried to run through the same spot every time. Unreal.
This is true. No sacks thru week 2 then the flood gates opened with 11 in the next 2 weeks. There isn't much of anything working, including blocking.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread