What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Sam LaPorta, DET (1 Viewer)

The only rookies in NFL history to produce a season with at least 80 receptions, 800 receiving yards and 9 receiving TDs:

- Sam Laporta (2023)
- Ja’Marr Chase (2021)
- Michael Thomas (2016)
- Odell Beckham Jr. (2014)

update:

• Targets - 113 (3rd) Shockey is 2nd at 115 record is 127
  • Receptions - 81 (tie for 1st)
  • Yards - 860 (5th) needs 10 yards to move into 4th and 35 to move into 3rd
  • TDs - 9 (3rd) needs 1 to tie for 2nd; record is 12

Will LaPorta be the first TE off the board in 2024 redraft?

I’m thinking late 2nd/early 3rd round.

The only rookies in NFL history to produce a season with at least 80 receptions, 800 receiving yards and 9 receiving TDs:

- Sam Laporta (2023)
- Ja’Marr Chase (2021)
- Michael Thomas (2016)

update:

I'm still kicking myself for not drafting LaPorta and drafting Kincaid. I had LaPorta higher on my draft board, but panicked and went with draft capital because I had punted on TE in my draft (I epxected LaPorta to be my late round backup to Waller/Goedert, who went earlier than I anticipated). I picked him up week 1 so I enjoyed his play all season, but otherwise I would have him as a round 13 Keeper next year. Sigh.

I hope he's a consensus round 3 pick, but I fear that you're right and I may have to go into round 2 if I want him on my roster again next year.

- Sam Laporta (2023)
- Ja’Marr Chase (2021)
- Michael Thomas (2016)

update:

• Targets - 113 (3rd) Shockey is 2nd at 115 record is 127
  • Receptions - 81 (tie for 1st)
  • Yards - 860 (5th) needs 10 yards to move into 4th and 35 to move into 3rd
  • TDs - 9 (3rd) needs 1 to tie for 2nd; record is 12

I would have LaPorta, McBride and Andrews (assuming no major injury setbacks) as my top 3, ranked pretty close together. If nothing jumped out at another position at the time, I would consider taking the third one after the first two were off the board, if my draft position enabled me to. I would not take Kelce (if he doesn't retire) in the top 5 rounds, but you know someone will.

I took him at 2.01. I can say he was vital for me this year but when was the last rookie TE that had this kind of success in year one? Bowers is talented for sure. I can see him being bumped up to the late first round.

Highly doubt Bowers stock elevates cause of LaPorta. I think most people will view him as a freak success at rookie TE. Like Bowers, Pitts was hyped as a generational talent recently, and he's on the complete opposite end of the spectrum from LaPorta. The position is too wildly unpredictable.

wonder if LaPorta's success makes Bowers a serious topic for a super, super early pick in dynasty and redraft

I think Pitts is the comparison at least as far as pre-draft is concerned...like Pitts he is a very big-time prospect with huge expectations that will get drafted really high in Dynasty and deservedly so because if he hits he is a potential game-changer for a Dynasty roster (although those who drafted Pitts high will have trepidation)......IMO LaPorta (like Mayer, Musgrave and to a higher extent Kincaid because of draft position and where he went) were your normal "he's gonna be a good one" at this point last year but he obviously far exceeded expectations.

I'm in. Love this kid from TE U. Got him last night in the 17th round of a 12 teamer.

I'm thinking 850 yards with 10 TD's. He is going to be the go-to target at the goaline. Spread those 17 TD's from Jamaal Williams + 12 TD's from Detroit TE's last year out between Laporta and Montgomery.

He still has a chance to get 1 more TD! This kid has it and is in a great system for him to thrive. I can't wait to see what he does in his career.

I drafted both Kincaid and LaPorta to go along with Kelce and Andrews. I traded Engram earlier this year which has turned out to be 13th overall pick. I plan to draft one of the top 3 TEs in 2024.

I’m also considering trading Kelce to see what I can get for him. We roster 5 TEs so I have an open spot if I can’t land Bowers I will grab my hidden gem.

Tex

LaPorta is the #1 TE in my league and I drafted him at 1.10

I thought Pitts rookie season in terms of real life receiving production was every bit as good as Laporta's. Injuries, scheme and QB have been issues but I think the hype on him coming out was every bit justified and still should be as the issues should resolve and he's only 3 months older then Laporta.

In a TE premium league I already had Pitts(and Goedert) I drafted Kincaid, Laporta and Musgrave last year. Have since traded Goedert. Pitts low production in year two did not factor in my decision process at all, also was not trying to load up on TE's, just sticking with BPA in a format that allows us to start 3 TE's.

This year I got picks 1 and 6 as of right now and expect that to take me out of the range Bowers will go. Had I been in that 2-4 range I was fully prepared to add Bowers to the team if he was my BPA.

Pitts poor last two years and Laporta's good rookie season are total non-factors in my decision making process.

Also I got Laporta as TE1 because I got almost no concerns. Productive, young, healthy and strong. Only the likely loss of Ben Johnson is a concern. But I still give Kincaid and PItts the edge as in terms of purely natural receiving skills and ability, they just have more issues surrounding them.

If I have Laporta, cool, but I don't think he'd be a guy I go after. Not at first round startup pricing anyway. To me it feels like buying at inflation pricing with too high of a risk/reward considering what's needed to get him.

If I have Laporta, cool, but I don't think he'd be a guy I go after. Not at first round startup pricing anyway. To me it feels like buying at inflation pricing with too high of a risk/reward considering what's needed to get him.
I would not have a problem spending a first round startup pick on him in TEP if I was in the back half of round one and in a situation I just could not find a feasible trade to move.

But, f I was trying to trade or target a potential big time young impact TE I'd rather pursue other options I think have as much or more ability that cost a lot less. Would rather shop at the TE store with discounts because they disappointed some people.

I would not have a problem spending a first round startup pick on him in TEP if I was in the back half of round one and in a situation I just could not find a feasible trade to move.

But, f I was trying to trade or target a potential big time young impact TE I'd rather pursue other options I think have as much or more ability that cost a lot less. Would rather shop at the TE store with discounts because they disappointed some people.
Right. What's Kincaid gonna go in startups, maybe 3rd round? Say pick 26 (wild early guess).

Laporta maybe 10 or 11.

What does it cost to move up from 26 to 10? A 5th round startup pick maybe?

I think I'd be happier with Kincaid and another good player.

Right. What's Kincaid gonna go in startups, maybe 3rd round? Say pick 26 (wild early guess).

Laporta maybe 10 or 11.
Is this one of those dynasty startup drafts where everyone silently agrees not to go on a run of 7 QBs in the first round? I've heard of those, just never played in one. Right or wrong, I guess it's more about knowing the drafting tendencies of the people you play with. And I know that among my friends, even if a few of them think LaPorta is the new Kelce, he's probably going in round 3.

Highly doubt Bowers stock elevates cause of LaPorta. I think most people will view him as a freak success at rookie TE. Like Bowers, Pitts was hyped as a generational talent recently, and he's on the complete opposite end of the spectrum from LaPorta. The position is too wildly unpredictable.
Landing spot matters so much in these cases. Clearly Detroit (Ben Johnson) had a plan to utilize LaPorta's skillset immediately. The Falcons just took a talented guy and then ran the ball 40 times a game.

How bad is LaPorta's ankle and what are the chances the Lions just sit him or play him very little because their chance to move up in the playoffs is very slim?

Landing spot matters so much in these cases. Clearly Detroit (Ben Johnson) had a plan to utilize LaPorta's skillset immediately. The Falcons just took a talented guy and then ran the ball 40 times a game.
To be fair Pitt's utilization his rookie year was solid and just about half a target per game less then Laporta. As of right now they are 3 targets off from their respective rookie seasons .

Pitts: 110/68/1,026/1

Laporta 113/81/860/9

They were both really good in real life as rookies, Pitts not so much in fantasy due to lack of TD's and receptions especially in TE premium.

Landing spot does matter but I don't think Pitts sitiuation he entered looked so bad but it got worse along with his health. That's a bit of the risk with relying to much on sitaution, that typically changes faster then talent.

Laporta maybe 10 or 11.
Is this one of those dynasty startup drafts where everyone silently agrees not to go on a run of 7 QBs in the first round? I've heard of those, just never played in one. Right or wrong, I guess it's more about knowing the drafting tendencies of the people you play with. And I know that among my friends, even if a few of them think LaPorta is the new Kelce, he's probably going in round 3.
Every draft is different. Just talking about ADP

Seems almost surely done for the season but just hope at this point there’s no surgery required and he starts 100% for 2024.

Seems almost surely done for the season but just hope at this point there’s no surgery required and he starts 100% for 2024.
I'm not so sure. His limp wasn't bad and he didn't have that devastated look on his face when he was carted off. Hopefully it's just a sprain.

According to Pro Football Doc, Dr David Chao, by video it appears to be an LCL sprain with associated damage to posterolateral corner of his left knee.

La Porta is listed as questionable to return but we at sicscore.com believe he will not return and his playoff availability is in doubt as this is likely a multi-week issue.

According to Pro Football Doc, Dr David Chao, by video it appears to be an LCL sprain with associated damage to posterolateral corner of his left knee.

La Porta is listed as questionable to return but we at sicscore.com believe he will not return and his playoff availability is in doubt as this is likely a multi-week issue.

good news considering some of the stuff was seeing on the twitter sphere

Dan Campbell has been making some questionable decisions lately. The trickery on the 2 point conversion against Dallas made no sense, considering that the refs always alert the defense which players have reported as eligible. And then today to play all his starters in a meaningless game. Not only did LaPorta get hurt, but ARSB got banged up too.
Campbell is turning into a jacked up version of Brandon Staley with his in-game decisions, being way too aggressive. Needs to realize he doesn't have to gain the approval of his players anymore, they are already onboard.

@davebirkett
·
9m

Dan Campbell on Sam LaPorta's knee:

"It’s not as bad as it looked, but it’s not good news. We’ll know more tomorrow."
That is a bit confusing, just going to have to wait on MRI results
I think it means he’s going to be out at least all or most of the playoffs but it’s not long term or probably anything requiring surgery.

In other words sucks for Lions fans(sorry, truly) and dynasty owners can rest easy.

@davebirkett
·
9m

Dan Campbell on Sam LaPorta's knee:

"It’s not as bad as it looked, but it’s not good news. We’ll know more tomorrow."
That is a bit confusing, just going to have to wait on MRI results
I think it means he’s going to be out at least all or most of the playoffs but it’s not long term or probably anything requiring surgery.

In other words sucks for Lions fans(sorry, truly) and dynasty owners can rest easy.
I'll believe that when I see it. Don't need that kind of hope

Dan Campbell has been making some questionable decisions lately. The trickery on the 2 point conversion against Dallas made no sense, considering that the refs always alert the defense which players have reported as eligible. And then today to play all his starters in a meaningless game. Not only did LaPorta get hurt, but ARSB got banged up too.
Campbell is turning into a jacked up version of Brandon Staley with his in-game decisions, being way too aggressive. Needs to realize he doesn't have to gain the approval of his players anymore, they are already onboard.
I know it’s still the 2nd quarter but if the current results were to hold, Detroit would gain a 2nd home playoff game from the win today.

Dan Campbell is dumb. Even with a win and Eagles and Cowboys loss, long shot, they move from 3 to 2 seed. It's not like they're getting a bye week no matter what. Can still try to win with backups. Could have had a bye this week for all star players today.

Dan Campbell is dumb. Even with a win and Eagles and Cowboys loss, long shot, they move from 3 to 2 seed. It's not like they're getting a bye week no matter what. Can still try to win with backups. Could have had a bye this week for all star players today.
You don’t think getting home field advantage in a playoff game against Dallas would be a huge deal?

You don’t think getting home field advantage in a playoff game against Dallas would be a huge deal?
That's a good point. I just hated seeing LaPorta get injured.

That's a good point. I just hated seeing LaPorta get injured.
Oh trust me, I hate it too. That’s the risk of playing for the win and the better seed. It’s unlikely Washington can win but they are putting up a fight.

There is a LOT of young talent at the tight end position
  • Brock Bowers - 21
  • Michael Mayer - 22
  • Sam LaPorta - 23
  • Kyle Pitts - 23
  • Isaiah Likely - 23
  • Luke Musgrave - 23
  • Greg Dulcich -23
  • Tucker Kraft - 23
  • Dalton Kincaid - 24
  • Trey McBride - 24
  • Cole Kmet - 24
  • Chig Okonkwo - 24

Did some Googling and that’s the same injury description that Kelce had on 9/5. He missed 1 game.
It’s usually 3-4 weeks, Kelce was an exception.
So LaPorta will be ready for the Super Bowl?
Cool. Never fun to watch the game when you’re in pain. Especially if you are hosting. All that up and down grabbing beers and drinks for you friends. Good opportunity for him to watch how Kittle blends blocking and receiving like reals TEs do 😏

There is a LOT of young talent at the tight end position
  • Brock Bowers - 21
  • Michael Mayer - 22
  • Sam LaPorta - 23
  • Kyle Pitts - 23
  • Isaiah Likely - 23
  • Luke Musgrave - 23
  • Greg Dulcich -23
  • Tucker Kraft - 23
  • Dalton Kincaid - 24
  • Trey McBride - 24
  • Cole Kmet - 24
  • Chig Okonkwo - 24
Some of those guys are stretching the word "talent" a bit. Still with Kelce and Waller, and to a lesser extent Kittle getting up there in years there is some quality young players waiting in the wings.

I really love Bowers. Even with the way TEs are valued, he's a steal if he makes it to the bottom of the top-10.

In a normal year LaPorta would garner some OROY votes, but with Stroud and Puka, that's not happening.

If he plays this week and is effective, I am ready to already declare him the best TE hands down, no questions asked.

Got in a full practice Friday (while wearing a massive leg brace.)

Expecting him to play, there’s little chance of re-injury or making it worse. Stability of the knee is not an issue, no structural problems.

That said, a bone bruise is no joke. It’s going to be incredibly painful and I expect to see a dip in performance. There’s def a nonzero chance he won’t be able to tolerate the pain.

Users who are viewing this thread