What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Sam LaPorta, DET (1 Viewer)

LaPorta practiced in full Friday, removed from the injury report, no designation heading into Week 7
The dynasty TE1 and 2 face off Sunday

LaPorta has been having success from the Slot this year but struggled against the Bucs DBs. He caught 3 of 6 while being guarded by Lavonte David. Not his best game but 25% market share and getting targeting 32.4% of his routes run is a pretty solid workload.

On the season he is being targets on 28% of his routes run (42 targets, 150 RR.) He's pacing for 82-920-9 on 119 targets. 3rd behind Engram and Kelce for YAC. He is 5th (9) in Contested Catch Throws and leads the NFL in Contested Catches (6.) Goff has an NFL passer rating of 115.7 when targeting #87.

Edit TBC, the ranks are among TEs only

Last edited:
Saw some chatter on the board he's slipping and you can't trust rookie TEs, the last couple weeks prove that.
  • Week 6 - 11 targets, post above I mentioned he struggled against the TB DBs
  • Week 7 - were not a lot of good things to look at watching the All 22, the whole team laid a rotten egg. 7 targets, 6 receptions, 52 yards - lone incompletion was a great play the defender to break it up. Caught his only contested catch opportunity. Other than LT Taylor Decker and HB Jahmyr Gibbs literally the entire team graded out poorly.
Snap Counts aren't sexy but you gotta get on the field to earn targets.
  • LaPorta - 54 offensive snaps, 388 for the season. Inline 236, Slot 84, Wide 66, backfield 2
  • Kincaid - 43 offensive snaps, 242 for the season. Inline 77, Slot 111, Wide 51, backfield 3
  • Musgrave - 48 offensive snaps, 254 for the season. Inline 162, Slot 77, Wide 15
  • Meyers - 46 offensive snaps, 261 for the season. Inline 195, Slot 40, Wide 21, OL 1, backfield 4
Year to date ranks:
  • PFF Grade - 72.1 (4th, behind Kelce, Kittle, Andrews, ahead of Hockenson)
  • Targets - 49 (3rd behind Kelce & Hock)
  • Receptions - 35 (3rd behind Kelce & Hock)
  • Yards - 377 (4th Kelce, Hock, Waller)
  • TDs - 3 (3rd Andrews Kelce)
  • Route Participation 87.6% (has stayed in to block 23 pass snaps, 9.5%)
  • Of the 12 players with more pass pro snaps, only Kmet 25 and Otton 18 have more than 11 receptions)
  • Slot snaps - 30th amongst TEs
  • Wide snaps - 3rd amongst TEs
  • Inline snaps - 5th amongst TEs
  • YAC - 155 (6th)
  • Contested Targets - 10 (5th)
  • Contest Catches - 7 (1st)
  • leads all tight ends in yards v man coverage
  • 2nd amongst TEs to Kelce in Y/RR 2.40 v man coverage
  • Goff has an NFL passer rating of 114.1 when targeting LaPorta
I could find another 20 stats and he's basically no worse than 6th at anything he does. Great run blocker as well.

LaPorta has to be the best early season waiver pickup I've had. Can't believe I didn't draft him, but thank goodness I corrected that immediately. He's a lot of fun to watch. For a big guy he's very smooth on his cuts.

LaPorta has to be the best early season waiver pickup I've had. Can't believe I didn't draft him, but thank goodness I corrected that immediately. He's a lot of fun to watch. For a big guy he's very smooth on his cuts.

Ditto here. Been in my starting lineup since week 2, dropped Friermouth not long after and haven’t looked back.

I’m absolutely kicking myself for not drafting him in dynasty rookie drafts. I knew I should have as soon as I didn’t. Have spent all season trying to acquire him with absolutely no success

drafted Kincaid & Laporta went a few picks later (10.11 & 11.04)

Week 1 Bills rookie had 4 targets 4-26, Lions rookie 5 targets 5-39

sent the dude a note & said as a Lions fan I wanted a do-over swap

at the time it looked close to both of us, no regrets

sure is fun having your favorite team’s breakout player

Im a little raging at him for dropping that pass late on. Cost me my game now 5-3 with a **** ton of Lions on bye next week so really 5-4 most likely. Needed that W last night

I traded him away for a 1st and 2nd rounder

I packaged him with mattison because I wanted to get rid of him. Disappointed now

interview w/ Chris Long (23:56)

great insight into details of the position (MCDC is very hands on as a HC coaching up the young guys)

spent the spring at Kittle’s barn working out with George, TJ Hockenson, Robert Tonyan

TE mentor at Iowa was Dallas Clark, Colts legend who is a very involved alumni

Great kid, love seeing how involved he’s been in the offense, hope he stays healthy bc he’s turning in one of the all-time best rookie TE seasons

We hear all the time rookie TEs are rarely productive. I think it's useful here at the halfway point of the season - 8 down, 9 to go, LaPorta on a bye - to take a look at what exactly that looks like, and to consider just how special the season Sam is putting together. Of course no ability beats availability, but if he can avoid injury this could be one of the greatest seasons we have ever seen a rookie TE produce.

He is on pace to set a new NFL record for rookie TE receptions, finish 3rd best all-time in yards receiving, and T3rd best all-time in TDs.

Top 20 Most Receptions by a rookie TE - currently 20thYearTeamReceptions
Keith Jackson1988PHI81
Jeremy Shockey2002NYG74
Kyle Pitts2021ATL68
Evan Engram2017NYG64
Pat Freiermuth2021PIT60
Mike Ditka1961CHI56
John Carlson2008SEA55
Charle Young1973PHI55
Timothy Wright2013TB54
Cameron Cleeland1998NO54
Jermaine Gresham2010CIN52
Dustin Keller2008NYJ48
Tony Moeaki2010KC47
Junior Miller1980ATL46
Jordan Reed2013WAS45
Dwayne Allen2012IND45
Aaron Hernandez2010NE45
Zach Miller2007OAK44
Tony McGee1993CIN44
Sam LaPorta2023DET43

Top 7 Most Receiving Yards by a rookie TE - projected to be 3rd best all-timeYearTeamYards
Mike Ditka1961CHI1076
Kyle Pitts2021ATL1026
Jeremy Shockey2002NYG894
Keith Jackson1988PHI869
Charle Young1973PHI854
John Mackey​
1963BAL726
Evan Engram​
2017NYG722
Projection
(no other rookie TEs have topped 700)
Sam Laporta (434 yards through 8 G)2023Detroit922

Most Touchdowns by a rookie TE - already T26th all-timeYearTeamTDs
Mike Ditka1961CHI12
Rob Gronkowski2010NE10
Junior Miller1980ATL9
Hunter Henry2016SD8
Pat Freiermuth2021PIT7
Joseph Fauria2013DET7
Eric Green1990PIT7`
Joe Senser1980MIN7
Charle Young1973PHI7
Raymond Chester1970OAK7
John Mackey1963BAL7
Evan Engram, OJ Howard, Aaron Hernandez, Heath Miller, Chris Cooley2017, 2017, 2010, 2005, 2004NYG, TB, NE, PIT, WAS6
Cameron Cleeland, Keith Jackson, Rob Await, Fred Arbanas
2005, 2004, 1998, 1988, 1987, 1962NO, PHI, STL, DAL (AFL)6
Foster Moreau, Timothy Wright, Jimmy Graham2019,2013, 2010OAK, TB, NO5
John Carlson, Owen Daniels2008, 2006SEA, HOU5
Projection
Sam LaPorta (4 through 8 G)2023DET9

Last edited:
I think the comps for Kincaid (who is the best rookie TE over the last 4 weeks) & LaPorta are Graham or Kelce.

They line up out Wide and in the Slot way more than Inline. They can block - but they’re too valuable. Sam has been a Top 2 target on his own team since Day 1, Kincaid is nearly there.

This is Y1. They’re going to get better.

LaPorta caught five of eight targets for 47 yards with one touchdown and one two-point conversion during Thursday's 29-22 loss to the Packers.

ANALYSIS
Coming off a pair of subpar performances, LaPorta hadn't seen a red-zone target since Detroit exited its Week 9 bye with a fully-healthy backfield. Not only did the rookie find pay dirt with one of the two looks he saw near the goal line, but he also got open on a two-point conversion to aid Detroit's comeback effort.

However, a number of miscues, including three fumbles and five failed fourth-down conversion attempts, cut short the majority of the Lions' offensive drives, which prevented LaPorta from doing much more.

The Iowa product will look to keep rolling in a Week 12 matchup with a Saints defense that is tied for the most touchdowns allowed to tight ends (six) in 2023.

9 targets career high 9-140-1

on the season, with 5 games left:
  • 86 targets - ranks 4th best for rookie tight ends all-time, pacing for 122 which would be 2nd all-time (127 is the record)
  • 64 receptions - tied for 4th most for rookie tight ends, pacing for 91 which would break the record of 81
  • 679 yards - currently 9th, pacing for 962 which would be 3rd all-time for rookie tight ends
  • 6 TDs - already tied for 10th all-time for rookie TEs
edit typo

Last edited:
Got him and Kincaid In the same draft. Also LaPortta in the 2nd rd rookie draft. I’m sure you really care about my team, LOL. Do you want me to list my roster for both teams, because I won’t.

Got him and Kincaid In the same draft. Also LaPortta in the 2nd rd rookie draft. I’m sure you really care about my team, LOL. Do you want me to list my roster for both teams, because I won’t.
Say it proudly!!

I also own this stud!!! 2.3 rookie draft pick for me....feels like theft.

Tried trading him and Singletary for Kittle a few weeks ago. Glad the guy didn’t accept
Sometimes the best trades you make are the ones you don’t make
Ain't that the truth.

I drafted LaPorta in my dynasty league where I have Kittle and resisted "selling" around his midseason slump. Of course, I don't think I've picked right a single time between them, but I'm still glad to have the option, when some teams are forced to start the likes of Jonnu Smith or Logan Thomas.

He leads all TEs in TDs, is only behind Hockenson & Kelce in receptions, & only behind Hockenson, Kelce, & Kittle in yards. He has a good chance to be the top scoring TE this year

Last edited:
Say it proudly!!

I also own this stud!!! 2.3 rookie draft pick for me....feels like theft.
I got LaPorta at 2.8 of our rookie/FA draft as my eventual Kelce replacement. Worked so well I traded Kelce before our trade deadline to our league Mahomes owner in a package that netted Sun God and McBride.

He leads all TEs in TDs, is only behind Hockenson & Kelce in receptions, & only behind Hockenson, Kelce, & Kittle in yards. He has a good chance to be the top scoring TE this year
I know Stroud is a QB and QB is king but LaPorta really has a legit case for OROTY. He won't win but his season, for a rookie TE, is truly historic. If he finishes with his current pace of 91/962/9 it's jaw dropping. Those are the numbers the JSN drafters were dreaming of.

I know Stroud is a QB and QB is king but LaPorta really has a legit case for OROTY. He won't win but his season, for a rookie TE, is truly historic. If he finishes with his current pace of 91/962/9 it's jaw dropping. Those are the numbers the JSN drafters were dreaming of.
I love LaPorta, but he has really no case for OROY. Even beyond QB being king, Stroud's numbers at QB are even more impressive than LaPorta's at TE. Stroud is having a historically good rookie season. He's leading the NFL in passing yards right now, and its not being fueled by some super pass heavy scheme either, as he's 3rd in YPA and 4th in passer rating.

I love LaPorta, but he has really no case for OROY. Even beyond QB being king, Stroud's numbers at QB are even more impressive than LaPorta's at TE. Stroud is having a historically good rookie season. He's leading the NFL in passing yards right now, and its not being fueled by some super pass heavy scheme either, as he's 3rd in YPA and 4th in passer rating.
Yeah it’s going to be Stroud- no doubt. I’m just saying in most years, LaPorta has a case and that’s crazy for a TE given the typical learning curve which is actually greater than QB.

Last edited:
LaPorta scored 5 TDs in four years at Iowa

:lol:

made an appearance on the St Brown brothers podcast

3 TD game vs Broncos, Iowa = TE-U, Funniest Lions Teammate, Rookie Talent Show, who would win an All-white vs All-black pro bowl
I listen to LeBatard's local Hour almost daily, catch it on youtube and they have a couple young gals that are like college football fanatics and i'm not sure Iowa scored 5 TDs all year,total.
Yet they have a winning record? It would seem like Iowa is very offensively challenged year in and year out

i also want to thank you for bringing Mike Ditka's name up a post up, I've been going thru his history, didn't know he was from around Pittsburgh, always assumed he was a Chicago area type.
Did you know Ditka played for "Press" Maravich in high school and was a 3-sport star? Ditka wanted to become a dentist and escape the hard jobs that surrounded his area, he ended up at Pitt but wanted to play at Notre Dame. Thanks for sending me down that rabbit hole for a few minutes.

Ditka is 84 and I don't see him on TV much any more

La Porta is very good, he has a chance to be special for the Lions over his career.

Users who are viewing this thread