What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official CJ Spiller (1 Viewer)

From Brees' presser today:

Do you feel like you have had enough work with C.J. Spiller when he comes back that you will be able to hit the ground running?

“Yes, he’s a pro. Just the time we spent on the field today, I like the way he looks. I like the look in his eye. Listen, he is a pro. Even though we had minimal time in training camp, I just feel like I know the player, I know the player, I know the athlete, I know what he can do for us and I think as we kind of build in nuances for him throughout the season we will have a chance to go to work on those things and build a comfort level.”

SaintsInDome2006 said:

Do you feel like you have had enough work with C.J. Spiller when he comes back that you will be able to hit the ground running?

“Yes, he’s a pro. Just the time we spent on the field today, I like the way he looks. I like the look in his eye. Listen, he is a pro. Even though we had minimal time in training camp, I just feel like I know the player, I know the player, I know the athlete, I know what he can do for us and I think as we kind of build in nuances for him throughout the season we will have a chance to go to work on those things and build a comfort level.”
I'm not saying Brees is telling the truth or lying or somewhere in the middle but what else is he supposed to say? "No, it's going to take Spiller probably a good 3-4 weeks before I trust him." He says that and then when Spiller is on the field the defense knows that he is likely not the target.

I'm not saying Brees is telling the truth or lying or somewhere in the middle but what else is he supposed to say? "No, it's going to take Spiller probably a good 3-4 weeks before I trust him." He says that and then when Spiller is on the field the defense knows that he is likely not the target.
Agree. My takeaway was just that they got practice time in together today, or CJS practiced, that was pretty much the point.

I mean that's about as coachspeak-playing-coy as you can get. I think he plays, but I won't roll the dice this week. Traded for Khiry just to be safe as he seems like he'll be a serviceable bye week flex guy if Spiller continues to get hampered.

Really excited about what he can do in this offense. in PPR I think Spiller has real SOD upside. And I think he can achieve that status in 12 games.

I mean that's about as coachspeak-playing-coy as you can get. I think he plays, but I won't roll the dice this week. Traded for Khiry just to be safe as he seems like he'll be a serviceable bye week flex guy if Spiller continues to get hampered.

Really excited about what he can do in this offense. in PPR I think Spiller has real SOD upside. And I think he can achieve that status in 12 games.
I agree. Health is the question mark for him, and I'm actually glad they are letting him properly heal. In PPR, he could easily be top 10, with a good shot at top 5. A floor of 3 catches with an average of 5 or so a game should be expected.

I have Foster and Spiller on my bench waiting to see game time. I have L. Muarry and A. Morris as my RB1 and 2. Really need some help right now.

Sean Payton saying "we'll see" is like any other coach saying "ready to go, fully healed, gonna run him he pukes." I'll be really surprised if Spiller isn't a big part of Sunday's game plan.

F targets. How about snaps. He had 7 last week.

Unfortunately I'm heavily invested in Spiller this year. Not feeling great about him. Durability concerns and Saints offense is continuing downward spiral. Now Brees is dealing with a bum shoulder. Not good.....

F targets. How about snaps. He had 7 last week.

Unfortunately I'm heavily invested in Spiller this year. Not feeling great about him. Durability concerns and Saints offense is continuing downward spiral. Now Brees is dealing with a bum shoulder. Not good.....
The 7 snaps stung. He's. Of back in my lineup until he's healthy enough to play a full game. I'm not so worried about Brees injury. I think he is QB independent.

I think he is back this week and makes an impact. Whether Bree's plays or not. If Brees plays he is going to rely on short passing and check downs to spiller. If McCown plays Payton is going to game plan for him to do the same since they have no faith in him and he sucks.

He had 1 catch last week for 19 yards. It looked like he was going to take it all the way. It was the only electric moment for the Saints that whole game.

He had 1 catch last week for 19 yards. It looked like he was going to take it all the way. It was the only electric moment for the Saints that whole game.
I didn't see the game. Why didn't he take it all the way? I hope he wasn't run down from behind. That wouldn't bode well for a speed merchant.

Jesus guys ...i swear half the posts in threads about guys that arent playing like Superman after a couple of weeks are so wrought with dread it makes me wanna take a handful of prozac...they took Spiller out last week for a test drive ...he didnt get hurt ...he passed the test ...now they feel better about playing him im sure ...gotta see the BIG picture here ...R E L A X

Jesus guys ...i swear half the posts in threads about guys that arent playing like Superman after a couple of weeks are so wrought with dread it makes me wanna take a handful of prozac...they took Spiller out last week for a test drive ...he didnt get hurt ...he passed the test ...now they feel better about playing him im sure ...gotta see the BIG picture here ...R E L A X
I understand your point, but I also saw the game, and at one point during the 2nd QTR (IIRC), the TV feed showed Spiller on the sidelines with his knee being iced with a wrap. The on field reporter said it was just precautionary treatment and you didn't hear or see anymore about it the rest of the game....but it was still a concern to evaluate none the less.

I didn't see the game. Why didn't he take it all the way? I hope he wasn't run down from behind. That wouldn't bode well for a speed merchant.
He took a screen down the sideline so he ran out of room, no he wasn't run down from behind.

He took a screen down the sideline so he ran out of room, no he wasn't run down from behind.
He did look like he a great burst on that play. Good sign hopefully.

Brees has been ruled out by Payton. All the more reason to wait one more week before putting him in your starting lineups

@Michael_Fabiano: Drew Brees has been ruled OUT for Week 3.

Knew the under on Saints wins was gonna be money this year.

I don't think you can play Spiller out of anything less that desperation until he and the coaching staff show that he is healthy and will play a full game.

Agree, looks like typical Spiller there. IMO with their lack of weapons they're going to want to get him 12-15 touches a game as soon as they feel he's ready. Wonder if they feel the need to have that happen ASAP with no Brees?

Probably able to wait one more week to monitor usage anyways considering Panthers D has been good.

Rotoworld:

ESPN Saints reporter Mike Triplett expects C.J. Spiller to be "heavily involved" in the Week 3 gameplan.
Spiller played only seven snaps in his Saints debut. His workload is expected to increase after practicing fully this week. With Luke McCown starting, Spiller projects to see more targets and gameflow should force the Saints to play from behind. Spiller is Rotoworld’s No. 40 running back for Week 3.

Source: Mike Triplett on Twitter
Sep 25 - 8:39 PM

:yucky:

:yucky:
so you think his current usage is his ceiling?

Rotoworld:

ESPN Saints reporter Mike Triplett expects C.J. Spiller to be "heavily involved" in the Week 3 gameplan.
Spiller played only seven snaps in his Saints debut. His workload is expected to increase after practicing fully this week. With Luke McCown starting, Spiller projects to see more targets and gameflow should force the Saints to play from behind. Spiller is Rotoworld’s No. 40 running back for Week 3.

This would have made sense.... but he hardly got in the game. He again had a brilliant 19 yard catch, and it was a huge play. So.... naturally they took him out. On another play the defense adjusting to cover Spiller in motion led to Ingram waltzing in for an easy end run TD. The Saints really, really need Spiller in there and he fits everything they have always done, but this year they have a concrete insistence to have Ingram in there. Totally nuts.

Yes he was hurt week 1, yes he was maybe limited week 2. Is he still hurt? I don't think that's it. I hope for the team's sake it changes.

Rotoworld:

This would have made sense.... but he hardly got in the game. He again had a brilliant 19 yard catch, and it was a huge play. So.... naturally they took him out. On another play the defense adjusting to cover Spiller in motion led to Ingram waltzing in for an easy end run TD. The Saints really, really need Spiller in there and he fits everything they have always done, but this year they have a concrete insistence to have Ingram in there. Totally nuts.

Yes he was hurt week 1, yes he was maybe limited week 2. Is he still hurt? I don't think that's it. I hope for the team's sake it changes.
It seems like Ingram is doing better than expected as a receiving option. If that continues, Spiller's usage will be less than we expected and probably hard to predict when it will happen. The talent is there, and his health seems to be finally there, but we may have misread his situation a bit.

Ingram is not the receiving option that Pierre Thomas, Sproles, and Reggie Bush were. Spiller has that capacity. I've seen Spiller catch the ball twice now for 19 yards each. Yes he had one other catch, but both 19 yarders were terrific. They need him out there.

Users who are viewing this thread