What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official CJ Spiller (2 Viewers)

This is the week boys.
What little we've been able to see, he looks explosive. The jets are there, they just need to unleash him.
They didn't give him a 4-year, $16M deal ($9M guaranteed) to give him 3-4 touches a week.

New Orleans Saints running back C.J. Spiller caught a pass for 3 yards on the first play from scrimmage Sunday, and he did not touch the ball again until the fourth quarter. The scarcity of touches for Spiller was something coach Sean Payton said Monday he wanted to fix.

"I got to get him more opportunities," Payton said. "He's healthy, and shoot, he needs more than anybody to stay actively warm as opposed to one play every 12 of 14 plays."

Spiller played 16 snaps against the Panthers, one week after he went in for seven snaps at home against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Spiller missed the preseason and the season opener at Arizona to recover from an arthroscopic knee surgery.

A pass to Spiller in the second quarter Sunday fell incomplete, and he did not touch the ball again until he opened the fourth quarter with a run of 4 yards. His biggest gain of 19 yards to the Carolina 2 came on a wheel route from out of the backfield to set up Khiry Robinson's touchdown run on the next play.

"The first half flew by, so our snap totals were a little lower than normal," Payton said. "I got to keep finding opportunities for his touches."

The Saints signed Spiller in the offseason to fit as a pass-catching back role once held by the likes of Pierre Thomas, Reggie Bush and Darren Sproles.

Spiller through two games played has four rushes for 11 yards and three catches for 41.

The Saints play Sunday night against the Dallas Cowboys at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome.

The Saints have a lot of experience with rushing injured running backs to play before fully healed. Good to see they are not rushing Spiller back unnecessarily. His PPR time will come soon enough. From the little we have see so far, he looks as advertised in space.

With limited options, I'm starting him with zero confidence this week.
Same here. Starting him with zero confidence in one league and dealt him in a package deal before last week's game in another.

He's one of the biggest teases in FF in recent memory. I thought he was gonna be a stud after finishing top 6 in 2012 and averaging 6 ypc. But he's been plagued by durability and usage concerns ever since. I got sucked in again this year thinking Payton would find ways to feature him in the passing game along with getting him 160 plus rush attempts but I was obviously way off the mark.

Ingram has been better than expected out of the backfield and Khiry Robinson has been more involved than I thought he would. I guess there is still some hope that his touches will grow to the point where he can be the dynamic flex contributor I thought he could be but I'm not holding my breath.

I liked this thread better when the title was "Spiller is a Go"

or was it "Looks Like Spiller is a Go"...might be confusing it with "Looks like Roddy White screwed us a again"

Last edited by a moderator:
If ya'll actually had "ZERO" confidence, you wouldn't be starting him. This is like when people say they're giving 110%.

I liked this thread better when the title was "Spiller is a Go"

or was it "Looks Like Spiller is a Go"...might be confusing it with "Looks like Roddy White screwed us a again"
Oddly enough I always used to read the old title as "Spiller is a Going to #### us all again." I miss it as well.

If ya'll actually had "ZERO" confidence, you wouldn't be starting him. This is like when people say they're giving 110%.
Well, what if you have zero confidence in all your remaining options at that slot and you're just starting him because he's got the highest upside? :shrug: Just being a devil's advocate here

That being said, I'm starting him in one league with some confidence. Benching him in another with some potential for regret.

Shocked to see he was dropped in my 12 team PPR, I spent half of my FABB on him. Trying to figure out who is crazier- me for spending 50% FAAB or the rest of the league as not a single owner placed a bid for him??

I agree with earlier comments that the Saints did not spend the $$$ on him not to use him. Once he is 100% I can see him in the old Reggie Bush PPR gold slot for the Saints.

As of right now, I have him in over DeMarco/Ryan Matthews/VJax at flex. I realize that none of those are excellent options right now, but I think many would likely choose one of those guys over Spiller right now. I just have a feeling...

- Finally appears healthy

- Team is 0-3 and has to change it up to make something happen before the season gets away. This is not the Dolphins coaching staff - these guys have proven that they are a legit staff.

- Brees is not 100%, so more reliance possible on short passing game and running game

- Spiller on turf - he will break some this year on turf.

- Prime time game - this matters to a lesser extent than the rest, but I still feel like players pick up their games a little bit when they are under the lights.

- My heart is telling me this is the week to start Spiller - most important item on this list!

Honestly the Saints need him to have a breakout game.
I feel like the first couple weeks they were easing him along, making sure he was 100% (Saints have rushed RBs back too soon in the past.) They've confirmed in games and practice he is fully recovered. They really do want to get him more touches IMO.

Debating him or Dunbar. I like that he is at home and has a higher ceiling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly the Saints need him to have a breakout game.
I feel like the first couple weeks they were easing him along, making sure he was 100% (Saints have rushed RBs back too soon in the past.) They've confirmed in games and practice he is fully recovered. They really do want to get him more touches IMO.

Debating him or Dunbar. I like that he is at home and has a higher ceiling.
And its not like Ingram is lighting it up

Spiller Week 3 @ CAR.

The wheel route at the end is what I want to see more of. His snaps bumped up from 9% to 21% last week. Assuming that continues to grow he'll be startable as a flex with upside in ppr soon.
He's a top hold. As long as you aren't desperate and can keep him on bench, he'll develop into ppr flex or rb2 soon. He's looked good in limited duty and is snap counts will go up no question. I'd actually be targeting him if I didn't have him.

How much of Khiry Robinson do I have to watch. I don't understand Payton. Says he needs to get Spiller more touches but refuses to do it.

Why did they sign him and give him $9 mil guaranteed to play less than 1/3 of the snaps on offense?

How much of Khiry Robinson do I have to watch. I don't understand Payton. Says he needs to get Spiller more touches but refuses to do it.

Why did they sign him and give him $9 mil guaranteed to play less than 1/3 of the snaps on offense?
maybe he hasnt grasped the offence yet

He looks at least as effective as these other two. There's room for for Spiller and Ingram to be a great duo. Payton needs to stop the madness with Robinson.

Users who are viewing this thread