What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

** Official 2014 Philadelphia Eagles Thread ** (1 Viewer)

Why is it that I keep hearing after every game, whether it's been Foles or Sanchez, that if you watch the all-22s there are receivers WIDE open and they're not hitting them. Do our current QBs not fully understand the system?? Can they not read defenses properly? Combo of both? Just frustrating to hear, and see receivers open and not being able to get them the ball.
My take:

Sanchez stinks

Foles is young

Even the good QB's miss open WR's

Kelly announced Sanchez is starting next week. Not sure why he would do this.
*shrug* Why not? What does starting Barkley accomplish?
Better draft pick, less chance of injuries starting you starters (not really meaning sanchez here), MAYBE seeing what Barkleys got to see if he's a capable backup next year.

Not really big things, but what does starting sanchez accomplish? Not any small wins there.

Is this the biggest team thread in the NFL? It's crazy that Washington is half the pages this one is, and Dallas like a quarter the size. THAT many eagles fans out there compared to those two teams?

Is this the biggest team thread in the NFL? It's crazy that Washington is half the pages this one is, and Dallas like a quarter the size. THAT many eagles fans out there compared to those two teams?
Washington's is bigger. Their thread is Just their in season thread. ours covers in season and off season. Those guys post like madmen. We are not far behind, but they do post more than us.

Chip won't play any young guys unless they deserve it. Don't like that decision at all. You know Fletcher and Cary suck. Why not see what Jaylen Watkins can do? Oh, because you want another win? Season's a failure whether you end up with 9 wins or 10.

Any of you guys watching Chip's presser? Not digging his responses. Yeah. I know I'm coming off negative here but I'm sorry. I'm not a fan of this. Defending these bums at CB. No interest in playing younger guys. Kind of a smart ### to be honest.

Chip won't play any young guys unless they deserve it. Don't like that decision at all. You know Fletcher and Cary suck. Why not see what Jaylen Watkins can do? Oh, because you want another win? Season's a failure whether you end up with 9 wins or 10.
If I'm a coach I want the 10 wins

As a fan they should throw this game and start Barkley and Polk

Any of you guys watching Chip's presser? Not digging his responses. Yeah. I know I'm coming off negative here but I'm sorry. I'm not a fan of this. Defending these bums at CB. No interest in playing younger guys. Kind of a smart ### to be honest.
Yeah. I still love Chip, but I think he's got room for improvement as a coach.

F the media and the reporters. Every coach should be like Belichek and Chip with this. They dont want real answers, they want stuff that can be spun into a "story"

Yeah. I still love Chip, but I think he's got room for improvement as a coach.
Agreed. Look, two months from now I won't be this salty. But man all best are off if next season does not move us forward. I didn't expect a Super bowl this year (or even next actually). But I do expect it by 16-17 or he will be gone.

Isn't that what you guys loved about him? :confused:

"We won time of possession." WTF!? Now this matters? Chip's response after being questioned about his sports science.
You missed the sarcasm I think
No I didn't miss it. And I think coaches owe it to us to be forthcoming. We hated Andy for this and loved Chip for his honesty until recently.
Not we, I know I didnt. I completly get why coaches take this stance with the reporters. They have zero to gain.

Exactly. Why would a coach (especially in his 2nd year) not give his team the best shot to win the game? 10 wins will look better than 9 wins on his resume.

Isn't that what you guys loved about him? :confused:
Yeah, confused by that as well. That's been his style all along. I guess you can do what you do whatever you want as long as you are winning.

One more point. Did anyone catch Sal Palontonio last Saturday on This Week in Pro Football? He had an amazing stat: the Seahawks cloud play through the Super Bowl and not face as many plays on D as the Eagles will through 16 games. The Eagles have actually faced an extra games worth of plays on D. Does no one think that that has to wear a team out by seasons end? Could be one reason for the collapse.

Here was the back and forth that stood out today (from Birds 24/7):

A reporter asked Kelly if he’d be confident in leaving Fletcher alone on Odell Beckham Jr. if he does decide to start him.

“We haven’t talked about any of that,” said Kelly.

“I was just looking ahead to the next game,” the reporter responded, referencing the fact that Kelly didn’t want to get into any end-of-season type talk.

“Was that like a wiseass comment?” Kelly shot back. Like I said, a little testy.

A reporter asked Kelly if hed be confident in leaving Fletcher alone on Odell Beckham Jr. if he does decide to start him.

We havent talked about any of that, said Kelly.

I was just looking ahead to the next game, the reporter responded, referencing the fact that Kelly didnt want to get into any end-of-season type talk.

Was that like a wiseass comment? Kelly shot back. Like I said, a little testy.
Exactly why all the coaches should take the Belichek/ Reid approach with reporters. That guy is an ##### who helped no one with his question but will now be all over the "Testy Kelly" headline. Garbage.

Exactly. Why would a coach (especially in his 2nd year) not give his team the best shot to win the game? 10 wins will look better than 9 wins on his resume.
End the season on a high note and beat the #$@! out of a division rival. You know, as opposed to stewing over a four game losing streak to end 2014. Set the tone for a good offseason by getting the taste of losing out of the teams' collective mouth.

And you can spin a win Sunday: 10-6, in a league where 10 usually gets you in. 4-2 in division. And so many things that can be improved upon (turnovers, penalties, improved secondary personnel, injuries to key pieces like MLB/OLB/QB/OLine)

A reporter asked Kelly if hed be confident in leaving Fletcher alone on Odell Beckham Jr. if he does decide to start him.

I was just looking ahead to the next game, the reporter responded, referencing the fact that Kelly didnt want to get into any end-of-season type talk.

Exactly why all the coaches should take the Belichek/ Reid approach with reporters. That guy is an ##### who helped no one with his question but will now be all over the "Testy Kelly" headline. Garbage.
If simple "wiseass" comments like this can get to Kelly, maybe he shouldn't be the coach of the Philadelphia Eagles. :shrug:

I am sure things were much simpler back in Corvallis.

If simple "wiseass" comments like this can get to Kelly, maybe he shouldn't be the coach of the Philadelphia Eagles. :shrug:

:unsure:

He's in a room for of alledged profesionals and one guy decides to be an ashhole, gets called out for it, and now he shouldn't be a coach. Unreal.

He's in a room for of alledged profesionals and one guy decides to be an ashhole, gets called out for it, and now he shouldn't be a coach. Unreal.
My favorite coaching meltdowns:

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=denny+green+meltdown&qpvt=denny+green+meltdown&FORM=VDRE#view=detail&mid=AFEEFBB20AEB4386BFBAAFEEFBB20AEB4386BFBA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oSFYxDGKy8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tie0tz7jGDI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5-iJUuPWis

Kelly not even in the top 50. Big deal. He's a snarky li'l wiseass, but IMO comes by it with a good disposition.

Last edited by a moderator:
Paulymaggs said:
Bigboy10182000 said:
Awful Waffle said:

Do you even know where the University of Oregon is?! hahha jeeeezzz

"We won time of possession." WTF!? Now this matters? Chip's response after being questioned about his sports science.
You missed the sarcasm I think
No I didn't miss it. And I think coaches owe it to us to be forthcoming. We hated Andy for this and loved Chip for his honesty until recently.
I think you did miss it if you questioned the response as if it was his true feelings.

Paulymaggs said:
Bigboy10182000 said:
Awful Waffle said:

You got me. Every podunk town in that wretched state is about the same anyway. :shrug:

Paulymaggs said:
Bigboy10182000 said:
Awful Waffle said:

You got me. Every podunk town in that wretched state is about the same anyway. :shrug:
wretched state? Clearly you haven't been there.

JetMaxx said:
and we were 1 pick away from Russell Wilson. Doesn't hurt at all to think about that possibility.
Could have taken Teddy or Carr this year. But we didn't.
Hadn't thought about it but ouch.
You can't second guess going away from a QB after what Foles did last year BUT, this Kelly might turn out to be the Reverse Buddy Ryan. You watch those teams from the NFC West and it's clear to me that Kelly won't last here. His scheme and culture isn't going to make it against those teams. I know Arizona got pasted last night but look at what Arians has done with his team despite way more injuries than what the eagles have had. Carroll is obviously better too and until this year so was Harbaugh. Hell, Kelly might not be as good as Fisher.I don't care how many training sessions the team does with SEAL Team 6 or how many smoothies they drink, if Kelly is going to be ok with having the defense out there for 42 minutes, then there is no hope for the team at this level.

And I still want an explanation for why Jackson was dismissed! They run Shady out, I'll march on the Nova Care myself with a pitchfork.

The blown first round pick--on Kelly. The hire of Davis who's been a failure at every stop--on Kelly. All of this is on Kelly.

I'm still sitting wondering how McCoy has 68 yards first half and 20 in the second and Sanchez has FIFTY pass attempts. Groundhog Day...
Losing your starting QB is much more detrimental than any other player. Arizona is crumbling since they lost Palmer.
Arizona is 4-3 since Palmer got hurt. I'd hardly call that crumbling. Not winning game in December? Now that's crumbling.
How's that any different from what's happened in Philly after losing Foles?

I'm loving most opf what Chip Kelly has brought to the table so far. My only gripe is that I think he needs to know when to tell the offense to slow down and run a normal pace. (When your first two series are three and out and your defense has seen the field for 12 minutes of the first qtr.)

IMHO if we had Foles with the current OL we would have won 2 of the last 3. JMHO
I agree with this. Sanchez had plenty of times where he threw to the right guy, but the pass was just off target. All too often even when it was caught the inaccuracy cost YAC.

End the season on a high note and beat the #$@! out of a division rival. You know, as opposed to stewing over a four game losing streak to end 2014. Set the tone for a good offseason by getting the taste of losing out of the teams' collective mouth.

And you can spin a win Sunday: 10-6, in a league where 10 usually gets you in. 4-2 in division. And so many things that can be improved upon (turnovers, penalties, improved secondary personnel, injuries to key pieces like MLB/OLB/QB/OLine)
This. Especially this year as the difference n draft position will be negligible

JetMaxx said:
and we were 1 pick away from Russell Wilson. Doesn't hurt at all to think about that possibility.
You can't second guess going away from a QB after what Foles did last year BUT, this Kelly might turn out to be the Reverse Buddy Ryan. You watch those teams from the NFC West and it's clear to me that Kelly won't last here. His scheme and culture isn't going to make it against those teams. I know Arizona got pasted last night but look at what Arians has done with his team despite way more injuries than what the eagles have had. Carroll is obviously better too and until this year so was Harbaugh. Hell, Kelly might not be as good as Fisher.I don't care how many training sessions the team does with SEAL Team 6 or how many smoothies they drink, if Kelly is going to be ok with having the defense out there for 42 minutes, then there is no hope for the team at this level.

And I still want an explanation for why Jackson was dismissed! They run Shady out, I'll march on the Nova Care myself with a pitchfork.

The blown first round pick--on Kelly. The hire of Davis who's been a failure at every stop--on Kelly. All of this is on Kelly.

I'm still sitting wondering how McCoy has 68 yards first half and 20 in the second and Sanchez has FIFTY pass attempts. Groundhog Day...
Losing your starting QB is much more detrimental than any other player. Arizona is crumbling since they lost Palmer.
Arizona is 4-3 since Palmer got hurt. I'd hardly call that crumbling. Not winning game in December? Now that's crumbling.
How's that any different from what's happened in Philly after losing Foles?

I'm loving most opf what Chip Kelly has brought to the table so far. My only gripe is that I think he needs to know when to tell the offense to slow down and run a normal pace. (When your first two series are three and out and your defense has seen the field for 12 minutes of the first qtr.)
Yes but this is a pretty big deal, don't you think? It shows that he's either unable or unwilling to adjust to the tempo of the game. Perhaps he will change his thinking next year but you can't try to jam a square peg into a round hole (especially as a coach in the NFL).

Kelly is more adaptable then any coach I can remember the Eagles having. He is the complete opposite of Reid. He has his reasons for keeping Fletcher in there but I would think next season Fletcher will not be a part of the equation.

Thanks to whomever post that BGN link. Everyone should read, it gives good perspective. I still believe this team is going to become very good here in the next year or two.

JetMaxx said:

How's that any different from what's happened in Philly after losing Foles?I'm loving most opf what Chip Kelly has brought to the table so far. My only gripe is that I think he needs to know when to tell the offense to slow down and run a normal pace. (When your first two series are three and out and your defense has seen the field for 12 minutes of the first qtr.)
GCobb made a good point. Its not the pace that's the issue there. Its the 3 and out. If we run a normal pace and use up all 40 seconds, we'd still only waste 2:00 mins of clock. They need to get first downs regardless of the pace.

Good points being made in this podcast. http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-podcasts/0ap3000000448433/Coaches-Show-Grading-Chip-Kelly-in-the-NFL

Andy and Chip are very unique in their approach to the game. There is just no way that Chip is anywhere close to having the players he needs. Prior to the Green Bay game I had very high expectations for the Eagles. It was a let down but I honestly can't blame anyone for our season. Disappointing? Yes, but it really just shows that what Chip is doing works and we still have work to do.

Users who are viewing this thread