What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

** Official 2014 Philadelphia Eagles Thread ** (1 Viewer)

Dallas dominating. Detroit won.

Perhaps that Wash loss was irrelevant anyways and only gets us a higher pick.

This is kinda strange...

If (when) Seattle beats Arizona tonight, The Eagles will be the ONLY team in the NFC with either 8, 9, or 10 wins.

Unbelievable what has transpired over the past 4 weeks.

At 9-3: Wow, we are actually in position for a first-round bye or even the 1-seed.

At 9-4: That was a wake-up call, but it happens. We'll take care of business and still get a 3-seed.

At 9-5: Ugh, so disappointing, but Dallas could still lose to Indy and we will beat Washington and New York.

At 9-6: Terrible performance, pathetic. Longshot for the playoffs, then that gets totally destroyed.

Good god.

JetMaxx said:
Awful Waffle said:
Long Ball Larry said:
and we were 1 pick away from Russell Wilson. Doesn't hurt at all to think about that possibility.
Could have taken Teddy or Carr this year. But we didn't.
Hadn't thought about it but ouch.
You can't second guess going away from a QB after what Foles did last year BUT, this Kelly might turn out to be the Reverse Buddy Ryan. You watch those teams from the NFC West and it's clear to me that Kelly won't last here. His scheme and culture isn't going to make it against those teams. I know Arizona got pasted last night but look at what Arians has done with his team despite way more injuries than what the eagles have had. Carroll is obviously better too and until this year so was Harbaugh. Hell, Kelly might not be as good as Fisher. I don't care how many training sessions the team does with SEAL Team 6 or how many smoothies they drink, if Kelly is going to be ok with having the defense out there for 42 minutes, then there is no hope for the team at this level.

And I still want an explanation for why Jackson was dismissed! They run Shady out, I'll march on the Nova Care myself with a pitchfork.

The blown first round pick--on Kelly. The hire of Davis who's been a failure at every stop--on Kelly. All of this is on Kelly.

I'm still sitting wondering how McCoy has 68 yards first half and 20 in the second and Sanchez has FIFTY pass attempts. Groundhog Day...

Last edited by a moderator:
JetMaxx said:
Awful Waffle said:
Long Ball Larry said:
and we were 1 pick away from Russell Wilson. Doesn't hurt at all to think about that possibility.
You can't second guess going away from a QB after what Foles did last year BUT, this Kelly might turn out to be the Reverse Buddy Ryan. You watch those teams from the NFC West and it's clear to me that Kelly won't last here. His scheme and culture isn't going to make it against those teams. I know Arizona got pasted last night but look at what Arians has done with his team despite way more injuries than what the eagles have had. Carroll is obviously better too and until this year so was Harbaugh. Hell, Kelly might not be as good as Fisher.I don't care how many training sessions the team does with SEAL Team 6 or how many smoothies they drink, if Kelly is going to be ok with having the defense out there for 42 minutes, then there is no hope for the team at this level.

And I still want an explanation for why Jackson was dismissed! They run Shady out, I'll march on the Nova Care myself with a pitchfork.

The blown first round pick--on Kelly. The hire of Davis who's been a failure at every stop--on Kelly. All of this is on Kelly.

I'm still sitting wondering how McCoy has 68 yards first half and 20 in the second and Sanchez has FIFTY pass attempts. Groundhog Day...
Losing your starting QB is much more detrimental than any other player. Arizona is crumbling since they lost Palmer.

JetMaxx said:
Awful Waffle said:
Long Ball Larry said:
You can't second guess going away from a QB after what Foles did last year BUT, this Kelly might turn out to be the Reverse Buddy Ryan. You watch those teams from the NFC West and it's clear to me that Kelly won't last here. His scheme and culture isn't going to make it against those teams. I know Arizona got pasted last night but look at what Arians has done with his team despite way more injuries than what the eagles have had. Carroll is obviously better too and until this year so was Harbaugh. Hell, Kelly might not be as good as Fisher.I don't care how many training sessions the team does with SEAL Team 6 or how many smoothies they drink, if Kelly is going to be ok with having the defense out there for 42 minutes, then there is no hope for the team at this level.

Losing your starting QB is much more detrimental than any other player. Arizona is crumbling since they lost Palmer.
Arizona is 4-3 since Palmer got hurt. I'd hardly call that crumbling. Not winning game in December? Now that's crumbling.

JetMaxx said:
Awful Waffle said:
Long Ball Larry said:

Why is the blown first-round pick on Kelly?

I do tend to agree with you on DJax. Sanchez is either completely incompetent or there is no separation at all from the receivers. The answer is probably somewhere in between, but Foles was not getting the ball downfield that much either. It is hard for me to believe that the lack of DeSean is not affecting the spacing of the defense.

I honestly don't know that the time of possession is such a problem for the defense. They've gotten progressively worse with the losses at linebacker and the secondary is pathetic. They were living on borrowed time with Williams and Fletcher. Davis may or may not be the answer, but when the front 7 was whole, he was clearly able to do some things to protect the secondary. There's only so much that you can do with those guys while the people that you are counting on to cover for them are being depleted.

Kelly is not perfect and we will see how they rebound next year, but for me, this is more about personnel and getting the right people in place.

We need to build a defense, that is our #1 problem especially the secondary. CB needs to be top priority or Dez/Beckham are going to destroy us for years to come.

I don't see any QB options that are a lock to be better than Foles but I think we should take a shot a few rounds into the draft on QB and see if he can find his Russell Wilson.

I am as upset as most Eagle fans but take a good look at this team and where it was just two seasons ago and where we are right now.

The Offense:

Offense Total Points Scored: #3

Offense Total Yards: #5

Total Rushing Yards: #7

Total Passing Yards: #6

This offense accomplished this with a very shaky offensive line for a good part of the season and a backup QB for a majority of the season. They also were able to finish this high while having the most turnovers in the league.

The Defense:

Total Points Against: #23

Total Yards Against: #25

Total Sacks: #2

They have a lot of work to do on the defense, A LOT. But lets not act as if Chip Kelly is clueless, or that he has not done an incredible job with this team.

JetMaxx said:
Awful Waffle said:
Long Ball Larry said:

This is non-sense

As hurt as everyone is there is no denying this team is making strides. Find me ANY team in the league through 15 games and has the 3rd most PPG in the league while:

Having 4 STARTING OL out at a time, including your top back-up and never playing one snap with your starting 5

Missing your starting QB for 7 (going on 8) games

Your biggest play maker having his worst year- McCoy

Probably the leagues worst #2 WR in the league

Regarding Davis. Remember like 15 weeks back when we couldnt stop the run? Remember when we didnt have somone to rush the passer? Remember when Cox was about to be a bust? Remember when we should have signed Jarius Byrd? Funny how Kendricks has looked amazing too and all of a sudden we're not mentioning Casey Matthews every week either. Davis, like Kelly have been GREAT here. Great. You are not going to fix all the problems of a 4 win team from a couple years ago over night but this staff has WITHOUT question got the best out of almost every single player Reid left us.

JetMaxx said:
Awful Waffle said:
Long Ball Larry said:

This is non-sense

As hurt as everyone is there is no denying this team is making strides. Find me ANY team in the league through 15 games and has the 3rd most PPG in the league while:

Having 4 STARTING OL out at a time, including your top back-up and never playing one snap with your starting 5

Missing your starting QB for 7 (going on 8) games

Your biggest play maker having his worst year- McCoy

Probably the leagues worst #2 WR in the league

Regarding Davis. Remember like 15 weeks back when we couldnt stop the run? Remember when we didnt have somone to rush the passer? Remember when Cox was about to be a bust? Remember when we should have signed Jarius Byrd? Funny how Kendricks has looked amazing too and all of a sudden we're not mentioning Casey Matthews every week either. Davis, like Kelly have been GREAT here. Great. You are not going to fix all the problems of a 4 win team from a couple years ago over night but this staff has WITHOUT question got the best out of almost every single player Reid left us.
Agreed. The guy inherited a 4-12 team and has been 19-12 since....not sure what some of you guys expected.

I think there are a lot of positives to take out of this season:

1. That defense isn't bad at all at the front seven. Very little needs to be done except minor tweaking. Definitely a bright spot.

2. The o-line is above average when healthy.

3. Maclin came into his own this year. Definitely a bright spot. Jordan Matthews is going to be a player.

4. Offense moved the ball. They scored a ton of points every game. Not many teams are going to win when the starter goes down for the season.

5. Special teams bordered on great all year.

6. Sproles was a STEAL this year. Helped at RB and Special Teams.

The negatives:

1. Some Div 1 colleges have better secondaries.

2. Cooper is absolutely terrible. Got no separation all year and was muscled around constantly.

3. McCoy wasn't good this year and I really think he won't be back next year. Make any excuses you want, he was mediocre.

4. I believe Foles regressed, but he's better than what many teams trot out there.

5. They need someone to stretch the field. No one respects the deep pass because they don't have anyone who can burn by you.

I'd burn 3-4 picks this year in the draft at CB/S. Maybe take a shot on that QB who drops (there's one every year). Need a replacement for DeMeco whose career is probably done.

I am as down on the Eagles as anybody. But guys, lets be realistic. If you lead the league in turnovers (35) you shouldn't be in the playoffs. You shouldn't even have a winning record but the Eagles do.

Now, after having the fewest turnovers last year, the question is, are the turnovers due to everybody catching up with Chip's offense, or is it just poor QB play, or is it just bad luck, or a combination.

Next year we should have a much better picture of whether Kelly's offense is the cause of all the TO's we had.

I am as down on the Eagles as anybody. But guys, lets be realistic. If you lead the league in turnovers (35) you shouldn't be in the playoffs. You shouldn't even have a winning record but the Eagles do.

Now, after having the fewest turnovers last year, the question is, are the turnovers due to everybody catching up with Chip's offense, or is it just poor QB play, or is it just bad luck, or a combination.

Next year we should have a much better picture of whether Kelly's offense is the cause of all the TO's we had.
Last season was an anomaly with Foles's ridiculous TD/INT ratio. However, I think most of the blame this year falls on Sanchez. He's a turnover machine and always has been.

They lead the league in lost fumbles. That has nothing to do with Chip's offense, the players simply could not protect the football. They literally were giving games away. And it seemed to me most of the picks were either bonehead decisions or terrible, off-target throws. I can only hope next year is a happy medium between '13 and '14.

I'm more concerned with Davis and the defense. For several weeks now we watched Fletcher get beat, why wait so long to adjust? I'm not even talking about benching the guy, but jebus, give the man some help. Don't leave him on an island against receivers that he has no chance of covering. Alter the scheme to your personnel. Granted, there are way too many holes in this secondary, but we should rarely see Fletcher match-up one on one against a Bryant or Jackson. And maybe it's just me and I'm not seeing it, but for a team that values big, tall corners, they rarely seem to jam at the line. They wait until they're beyond five yards to get physical and then never look for the ball. Drives me insane.

Last season was an anomaly with Foles's ridiculous TD/INT ratio. However, I think most of the blame this year falls on Sanchez. He's a turnover machine and always has been.
Agree on last year. But the Eagles were leading the league in turnovers before Sanchez came in. Could be bad luck, could be the injured O-line, or it could be Chip's system.

If the Eagles start off badly with turnovers next year, the Media will be very quick to grab on this as the weakness in Chip Kelly's great offensive scheme.

I honestly do not think that it is about them catching up to the offense. Look at the Dallas game. It started off as badly as it could have. Then the offense suddenly turned it on and was unstoppable. They have shown that ability in almost every game, even if inconsistently. It has a lot to do with QB play and decision-making and Sanchez's turnovers.

Agree on last year. But the Eagles were leading the league in turnovers before Sanchez came in. Could be bad luck, could be the injured O-line, or it could be Chip's system.

If the Eagles start off badly with turnovers next year, the Media will be very quick to grab on this as the weakness in Chip Kelly's great offensive scheme.
How is it a weakness in the scheme when Sanchez can't put the ball in the right place?

Can someone explain how his system causes a lot of players to fumble?

JetMaxx said:
Awful Waffle said:
Long Ball Larry said:

Yes, let's just give up on Kelly who's praises we were all singing for the last two years. It's clearly super bowl or nothing for you each year, so do you really think everything here is on the coach and if we had a Fischer/Harbaugh/Arians/Carroll that we'd be in the Super Bowl this year?

I think McCoy was hurt more by desean's absence than having a drop off.

I'm just bitter right now. Really really bitter and nothing to look forward to in philly sports until training camp. Every other team sucks...worst period in Philly sports history since '69-71.

Let me be clear, I don't think it is the system. That's why I think some of the guys are too hard on the overall team. We overcame the turnovers early in the season, but couldn't late in the season.

And yes, Sanchez is a turnover machine. But that is on Kelly, because that is who he brought in to be back-up. I do also worry that Foles will end up turning it over a rate closer to this season then at the ridiculous rate of last season.

That was a bitter loss. I'm not sure winning would've helped us much in the end since DAL, DET & SEA all won handily.

A few thoughts...

- Anyone thinking the Chip needs to go is just bonkers. He made good decisions & bad decisions but he will adjust things as needed to make more good decisions. That why we like Chip right?

- I'm still ok on Davis. Yes, our secondary is bad and we can blame him a bit for his play calls there. BUT Davis also deserves credit for our vastly improved front 7. We definitely need better personnel in the backfield asap.

- A little thing for people to remember is that Pete Carroll & the 'Hawks took a few years of losing and whiffing of Russell Wilson twice before they became the team we see today.

Anyways, we lost and it sucks. We're not some team wandering the wilderness though and that talk is just silly. We just keep building and adding pieces (including drafting QBs in whatever round).

Let me be clear, I don't think it is the system. That's why I think some of the guys are too hard on the overall team. We overcame the turnovers early in the season, but couldn't late in the season.

And yes, Sanchez is a turnover machine. But that is on Kelly, because that is who he brought in to be back-up. I do also worry that Foles will end up turning it over a rate closer to this season then at the ridiculous rate of last season.
Oh ok, that was confusing.

That was a bitter loss. I'm not sure winning would've helped us much in the end since DAL, DET & SEA all won handily.

A few thoughts...

- Anyone thinking the Chip needs to go is just bonkers. He made good decisions & bad decisions but he will adjust things as needed to make more good decisions. That why we like Chip right?

- I'm still ok on Davis. Yes, our secondary is bad and we can blame him a bit for his play calls there. BUT Davis also deserves credit for our vastly improved front 7. We definitely need better personnel in the backfield asap.

- A little thing for people to remember is that Pete Carroll & the 'Hawks took a few years of losing and whiffing of Russell Wilson twice before they became the team we see today.

Anyways, we lost and it sucks. We're not some team wandering the wilderness though and that talk is just silly. We just keep building and adding pieces (including drafting QBs in whatever round).
:goodposting:

Finally some sanity.

In terms of the loss, It wouldn't have helped us at all. We'd still be eliminated and have a worse draft pick.

I think McCoy was hurt more by desean's absence than having a drop off.
He just looks slower and less ellusive than any time I can remember. I'm sure Desean halped some but not in those areas.
Like all things, the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle, and is a combination of many things.

Oline injuries early on

Injury seemed to bother him early on in the year more then it was reported

Teams not respecting Sanchez's deep ball

More defensive focus on stopping him

The addition/emergence of Sproles and Polk who both looked great and deserved their carries

Red zone troubles (I know he may not have looked AS good all year, but are we forgetting that only Foster, Lynch, Bell, and Murray are out rushing him this year in the NFL?) from a fantasy perspective he was bad because of lack of TD's, but not sure that is really on him so much.

The other annoying thing is the penalties. They had a stretch from week 3 to week 9 where they averaged 10 penalties a game for 86 yards a game. Its unacceptable.

Kelly announced Sanchez is starting next week. Not sure why he would do this.
Kelly still wants to win. Kelly doesn't trust Barkley to do that and/or doesn't think there's anything more to see with Barkley.

Slightly damning IMO.

Agreeded, seems kind of pointless. But then again, what are you going to be able to figure out about Barkley with one game starting?
Don't like this. Put all the young guys in. We know what Sanchez is.
Maybe he'll do that with other positions. He may also change his mind and start Barkley. I think he still wants to win the game no matter what I guess.

Why is it that I keep hearing after every game, whether it's been Foles or Sanchez, that if you watch the all-22s there are receivers WIDE open and they're not hitting them. Do our current QBs not fully understand the system?? Can they not read defenses properly? Combo of both? Just frustrating to hear, and see receivers open and not being able to get them the ball.

Agreeded, seems kind of pointless. But then again, what are you going to be able to figure out about Barkley with one game starting?
Don't like this. Put all the young guys in. We know what Sanchez is.
Maybe he'll do that with other positions. He may also change his mind and start Barkley. I think he still wants to win the game no matter what I guess.
Yeah I guess it's not too big of a deal but after last year's draft and 1 pick being the difference between Clinton Dix and the guy we took I probably focus too much on draft position.

Why is it that I keep hearing after every game, whether it's been Foles or Sanchez, that if you watch the all-22s there are receivers WIDE open and they're not hitting them. Do our current QBs not fully understand the system?? Can they not read defenses properly? Combo of both? Just frustrating to hear, and see receivers open and not being able to get them the ball.
I really wish Foles didn't get hurt and had a chance to play behind the full oline. I think we would have seen what we saw from him last year where he did hit those open receivers and converted in the red zone.

Users who are viewing this thread