What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (3 Viewers)

Just a note on the sauce for the Asian Pulled pork I'm doing tomorrow:

Chopped an onion and the thick end of four stalks of lemongrass into really small pieces. Fried in olive oil until translucent. Added a knob of ginger, maybe an inch and a half, sliced real fine, then chopped real fine. That went into the pot for a little bit and then I added maybe 1/3 cup of fish sauce, let that boil for a bit, then most of a beer, some regular sugar and the juice of five limes, let that boil for another 5 minutes or so. Took it off the heat, tasted for salt (no need), but it needed more oomph. Once cooled a bit I poured it in the blender, added some more sugar, the juice of half a lime and the leaves of some celery stalks (roughly chopped). Zapped it and OMFG. 

Earlier this week I made some five spice ham in the oven (to test my five spice recipe) and had some left overs - together it was divine.

Looking forward to serving it tomorrow with the smoked five spice butt!!!!!

Chopped an onion and the thick end of four stalks of lemongrass into really small pieces. Fried in olive oil until translucent. Added a knob of ginger, maybe an inch and a half, sliced real fine, then chopped real fine. That went into the pot for a little bit and then I added maybe 1/3 cup of fish sauce, let that boil for a bit, then most of a beer, some regular sugar and the juice of five limes, let that boil for another 5 minutes or so. Took it off the heat, tasted for salt (no need), but it needed more oomph. Once cooled a bit I poured it in the blender, added some more sugar, the juice of half a lime and the leaves of some celery stalks (roughly chopped). Zapped it and OMFG. 

Earlier this week I made some five spice ham in the oven (to test my five spice recipe) and had some left overs - together it was divine.

:popcorn:

That sounds delicious.

I guess I have been spoiled by regularly finding brisket prime full packers at Costco. The Costco closer to my house only had flats and no full packer. So 11 lb Choice flat is 77 bucks. 

I will still enjoy, but need to be more vigilant when buying next time. 

Smoking five racks of baby back pork ribs and some chicken thighs for pulled chicken on the Camp Chef tomorrow. Last time out I did the 3-2-1 method on both babyback and spare ribs, and the babyback one got the best reviews and requests for tomorrow. They were done early last time, though, so I'm not sure if I should cut down the time or play it by ear. Also using apple this time instead of hickory. Should I just stick with the hickory since it was such a hit last time, or try something new? Also, if I finish the chicken early can I wrap and put in a cooler to keep temp, or is chicken a different beast (literally) than pork and doesn't work like that? 

msommer said:

Well, while I don't have any pictures (they really wouldn't have shown anything anyway) the Asian version was (also) a big hit. Personally I prefered it to the traditional style I made at the same time (but that's potentially because I'm a bit bored with it). In general the women seemed to like the Asian style better and the men were split 60/40 in favor of the traditional.

The sauce worked great with the meat, but the five spice rub hardly came through at all which I was unhappy with. Don't know how to fix that, other than adding five spice to the sauce (which I will try, but carefully)

Oh and the red cabbage/cucumber/herbs/sesame seeds "slaw" with a soy/fish sauce/lime/ginger/beer sauce/dressing was a big hit with the lone vegetarian at the party - she had like three buns heaped with it! 

https://grillinfools.com/blog/2013/02/25/sweet-heat-cajun-ribs/

Made those twice this weekend. Once for a friend that just had surgery and can't cook and once for the family. Both times I got the, "OMG these things are fantastic", over and over. Like it was embarrassing the amount of comments I got on those ribs so thanks Scott, that recipe is top notch. Appreciate you sharing knowledge with us :thumbup:
Which brand Cajun seasoning did you use? And man, that looks like alot of sugar. I've been wanting to try these, but...are they candy sweet?

Which brand Cajun seasoning did you use? And man, that looks like alot of sugar. I've been wanting to try these, but...are they candy sweet?
I use Tony Chachere's and yes, they are sweeter than I would like so I'm probably going to tweak it down a bit. I used a full cup of brown sugar, will probably drop it down to 3/4 or 1/2 cup and see how they turn out. No lie though, I had both my daughters sopping up the sauce with anything they could not to waste it.

I meant to get the seasoning he recommended but didn't have time. Tony's is good but I'd like something a little hotter for my tastes.

I use Tony Chachere's and yes, they are sweeter than I would like so I'm probably going to tweak it down a bit. I used a full cup of brown sugar, will probably drop it down to 3/4 or 1/2 cup and see how they turn out. No lie though, I had both my daughters sopping up the sauce with anything they could not to waste it.

I meant to get the seasoning he recommended but didn't have time. Tony's is good but I'd like something a little hotter for my tastes.
So simple too. Putting it on the short list. Agree on the sugar front. Might start at 3/4. Time to check out the local Cajun seasoning at the store. Anyone have a box store/amazon variety they like?  Need to check the one in the recipe. 

Edit: I found Riley’s on amazon but was $4 more than their site.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Publix had/has frozen turkey breasts on sale at $0.99 per pound, so I bought a few.  Any go to brines/rubs/injections you guys turn to for this?

i hope you brohans are having one heck of a grilling and smoking summer so bam take that to the bank and keep on keepin on with your bad selfs bromigos 

And do what?  So smoke a brisket.  Chop it up?  Put a pound in a pan with a pound of brown sugar?  Then...smoke it some more?  
Then add beans and onions and peppers and whatever else you want. But make sure there's a pound of sugar and a pound of brisket. I don't usually make a brisket for this. I go to a BBQ Join and buy a couple pounds. 

They are sweeter than most ribs but not as sweet as it sounds with a cup of sugar on there. The Cajun spices offset the sweet somewhat as well. 

https://grillinfools.com/blog/2013/02/25/sweet-heat-cajun-ribs/

Made those twice this weekend. Once for a friend that just had surgery and can't cook and once for the family. Both times I got the, "OMG these things are fantastic", over and over. Like it was embarrassing the amount of comments I got on those ribs so thanks Scott, that recipe is top notch. Appreciate you sharing knowledge with us :thumbup:
This is one of those recipes that is so simple it's embarrassing when people start gushing. I find myself saying over and over, "It really isn't a big deal. It's just three ingredients."

Oh and for less sweet, skip drizzling the sauce from the foil over the ribs. 

Here is what I ended up doing for the beans.  People were raving about it.  I've eaten it 4 days in a row now.

4 lg cans Bush's baked beans, 1 can dark red kidney beans, 1 can black beans, all drained in collander but not rinsed.
1 lb Bacon, crispy
~ ¾ bottle sweet baby ray’s Barbecue sauce
Mustard ~4 tbs
1 large onion
1 Red pepper
1 cup Brown sugar
Pork rub.  Not sure how much.  Maybe 2 tbsp

~3.5 hours in the smoker in a cast iron pot 

Here is what I ended up doing for the beans.  People were raving about it.  I've eaten it 4 days in a row now.

4 lg cans Bush's baked beans, 1 can dark red kidney beans, 1 can black beans, all drained in collander but not rinsed.
1 lb Bacon, crispy
Mustard ~4 tbs
1 large onion
1 Red pepper
1 cup Brown sugar

Don’t sleep on the Apple pie filling in beans... give it a shot sometime, for reals ? 

1 lb Bacon, crispy
Mustard ~4 tbs
1 large onion
1 Red pepper
1 cup Brown sugar

TPW for Mrs. Shuke

That one guy said:
Publix had/has frozen turkey breasts on sale at $0.99 per pound, so I bought a few.  Any go to brines/rubs/injections you guys turn to for this?
1:1:1 brine (1-gallon water, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup salt) for 24 hours.  If pre-brined or injected you should skip this.

Pepper or salt-less rub.  Smoke/bake in smoker at 350 or so for an hour or until breasts are golden brown on outside. Then foil each breast and add 1# of butter.  Continue to cook until internal temp is 160.  Enjoy.

Hot and fast is your friend here. There's nothing to render so low and slow will just dry them out.

Set my Camp Chef Woodwind up on Thursday.  A few minor issues, but pretty excited.  That is, until I see an email in my inbox just a couple days later announcing the release of the Woodwind SG, at $100 more.  The new SG has:

- 2 temp probes (vs 1)
- bigger 22lb hopper with viewing window
- 40% more cooking area (noooooo!!!)
- slideable heat diffuser cover to allow for direct vs indirect cooking (nice feature)
- oh, and the ever important bottle opener affixed to the grill 

:rant: :sadbanana:

Yeah, I saw the same thing as was thinking WTF? All I had to do was wait another few months for the new version?

To be honest, though, none of the new features is a deal breaker for me. The temp probe has run a little high so far in my experience so I use a separate temp pen, putting more pellets into the hopper takes about 30 seconds, the current cooking area has been enough for me so far (and I cooked for 15 last weekend), and while indirect cooking would be nice, going low 'n slow again covers most of what I'm trying to do. The bottle opener would be sweet, though  :P

Wife and I have been talking about getting a smoker and figured I'd reach out to you all for some advice.
Since we are new to this we'd like to start "cheap" and then upgrade later if we find ourselves really enjoying it.

I've researched some different sites and many seem to point to this one as a good "starter Smoker" 
Any thoughts on that one?

Also, any advice on what to try first (Chicken, Pork, Beef.... ), and any recipe books/sites you use would be greatly Appreciated! :popcorn:

Wife and I have been talking about getting a smoker and figured I'd reach out to you all for some advice.
Since we are new to this we'd like to start "cheap" and then upgrade later if we find ourselves really enjoying it.

I've researched some different sites and many seem to point to this one as a good "starter Smoker" 

Also, any advice on what to try first (Chicken, Pork, Beef.... ), and any recipe books/sites you use would be greatly Appreciated! :popcorn:
Might be the exact model my dad has.  Super easy to use.  I don’t think you’d be disappointed.  The only con I’ve got is that the max temp is 275 degrees.  Found that out when we went to do a brisket at 350 and when setting the temp it would flip at 275 back down to 100.   :lmao:

One word of advice is that if you want to keep it clean, cover the water pan and smoke box with tinfoil before each use. 

I’ll leave the recipes, advice, etc to the pros.  

Caveat: I’ve only ever smoked at 275 on his, so not sure how well it holds heat at lower temps.  I’d assume just fine, but I have no experience.

That's not a smoker.  It's an outdoor oven. It will be very easy to use and produce "good" smoky flavored meats but will never produce "great" BBQ. I would suggest that you at least go for something that burns charcoal or pellets and allows you to be a part of the process a bit more. Maybe a Weber Smokey Mountain or a Pit Barrel Cooker?

That's not a smoker.  It's an outdoor oven. It will be very easy to use and produce "good" smoky flavored meats but will never produce "great" BBQ. I would suggest that you at least go for something that burns charcoal or pellets and allows you to be a part of the process a bit more. Maybe a Weber Smokey Mountain or a Pit Barrel Cooker?
Are you saying that because its electric?  

Gonna make my own jerky in my smoker this weekend. Anyone have a couple of decent marinades I can use? A basic and a teriyaki preferred and as low sugar as possible.

Dude, I have that one and I absolutely love it. Ignore the gatekeepers here and say you need to use a traditional one. It's lame shtick.

18 in Weber Smokey mountain is only $100 more.  I’d go with that one and learn with charcoal 

I'd also ignore the pundits, as if this gets you into the game of smoking, you'll be hooked for life.  I have a Kamado style, a Brinkman torpedo style and some other random box charcoal smoker.  I also have an electric one, similar to the one you posted, but it has the clear glass viewing door. 

They all have a purpose.  With the electric, be prepared to be dumping in the wood chips fairly often.  The little tray that holds the chips is awfully small and you'll be adding more chips every 45-60 minutes or so. 

Also if you are just starting out, the electric is more idiot proof.  Get yourself a good dual probe thermometer so you can track the temperature inside the smoker and of the meat.  Once you have the electric calibrated, it's pretty much set it and forget it.  Depending on the type of charcoal smoker, it's a learning curve and you can have some huge spikes in temps that you won't see in electric. 

You won't a decent smoke ring in the electric, but that's more or less cosmetic. 

Depending on where you live, the electric also has some advantages, as I'll fire mine up when it's -20 degrees in January in WI and I don't have to worry about going to add fuel.  But remember, you'll be adding wood chips more often, so you'll still need to go outside. 

Just be warned and best to prepare your wife now as well.  If smoking is indeed your thing, you'll be "upgrading" to some sort of charcoal and/or pellet style smoker within a year or so.  Once bitten by the bug, you will always be wanting something nicer. 

In terms of what to smoke as a first run, I'd recommend chicken and/or ribs.  They are pretty maintenance free and hard to screw up assuming you have decent control of your temperature.  While a shoulder/butt is the most forgiving, I wouldn't start with something that will take 8, 10, 12+ hours.  Same for brisket.  Work your way up to a brisket.  Once you've mastered temperature control, then spend the $$, get up early in the morning w/ the birds chirping and get that brisket started. 

Need to get back into this thread.  Have had the Smokey Mountain forever, but recently grabbed a Green Mountain Grill pellet smoker and my goodness, while the smoke is not as much, the ease of use and readiness to just go for it without minimal prep is outstanding.  Have made pork butt, smoked wings, ribs and brisket in about 2 weeks. :excited:

At this time we don't want to deal with the mess charcoal/pellets bring. :thanks:

Dude, I have that one and I absolutely love it. Ignore the gatekeepers here and say you need to use a traditional one. It's lame shtick.
:thanks: At some point I may ignore the mess and "upgrade" to charcoal or pellets.. Then again, we aren't foodies.. We are just looking to get that "smoke" taste.

I'd also ignore the pundits, as if this gets you into the game of smoking, you'll be hooked for life.  I have a Kamado style, a Brinkman torpedo style and some other random box charcoal smoker.  I also have an electric one, similar to the one you posted, but it has the clear glass viewing door. 

They all have a purpose.  With the electric, be prepared to be dumping in the wood chips fairly often.  The little tray that holds the chips is awfully small and you'll be adding more chips every 45-60 minutes or so. 

Also if you are just starting out, the electric is more idiot proof.  Get yourself a good dual probe thermometer so you can track the temperature inside the smoker and of the meat.  Once you have the electric calibrated, it's pretty much set it and forget it.  Depending on the type of charcoal smoker, it's a learning curve and you can have some huge spikes in temps that you won't see in electric. 

You won't a decent smoke ring in the electric, but that's more or less cosmetic. 

Depending on where you live, the electric also has some advantages, as I'll fire mine up when it's -20 degrees in January in WI and I don't have to worry about going to add fuel.  But remember, you'll be adding wood chips more often, so you'll still need to go outside. 

Just be warned and best to prepare your wife now as well.  If smoking is indeed your thing, you'll be "upgrading" to some sort of charcoal and/or pellet style smoker within a year or so.  Once bitten by the bug, you will always be wanting something nicer. 

In terms of what to smoke as a first run, I'd recommend chicken and/or ribs.  They are pretty maintenance free and hard to screw up assuming you have decent control of your temperature.  While a shoulder/butt is the most forgiving, I wouldn't start with something that will take 8, 10, 12+ hours.  Same for brisket.  Work your way up to a brisket.  Once you've mastered temperature control, then spend the $$, get up early in the morning w/ the birds chirping and get that brisket started. 
:thanks: lots to "digest" there.. really appreciate the advice.

:thanks: At some point I may ignore the mess and "upgrade" to charcoal or pellets.. Then again, we aren't foodies.. We are just looking to get that "smoke" taste.
I also called AMAZEN Products.I think it's a husband/wife company and they make awesome stuff.  Get this:

http://www.amazenproducts.com/product_p/amnps5x8  It's a ton better than the stock. Down the road you might want to build a mailbox rig to put on your smoker, but it's not necessary. When you call, you can also just say that you are a noob and she'll point you in the right direction. She will throw in some pellets for a good deal.  Definitely get a good thermometer.I got this:

https://www.amazon.com/ThermoPro-TP-16-Thermometer-Stainless-Temperature/dp/B017613C3C

and it's served me well so far.  Down the road I think I'll get a 4 channel one, but as of now this is pretty good. Good luck!

Would that go for the more expensive ones like Cookshack?  
Yes.
meh.  I have zero desire to nurture a fire for 12+ hours at times.  

I appreciate those of you that do - and understand the attraction.  Just not for me.  

Any guys out there that have gone from a $200 range Masterbuilt type electric smoker to the Cookshack or something comparable?  Wondering if it is worth it.  

I also called AMAZEN Products.I think it's a husband/wife company and they make awesome stuff.  Get this:

http://www.amazenproducts.com/product_p/amnps5x8  It's a ton better than the stock. Down the road you might want to build a mailbox rig to put on your smoker, but it's not necessary. When you call, you can also just say that you are a noob and she'll point you in the right direction. She will throw in some pellets for a good deal.  Definitely get a good thermometer.I got this:

https://www.amazon.com/ThermoPro-TP-16-Thermometer-Stainless-Temperature/dp/B017613C3C

and it's served me well so far.  Down the road I think I'll get a 4 channel one, but as of now this is pretty good. Good luck!
I just recently grabbed an AMAZEN pellet tube to get more smoke in my GMG pellet smoker.  Hoping for great results.

While my Weber Smokey man charcoal burner is indeed messy, my Traeger burns extremely clean in terms of mess remaining. 

As to what to get It really depends on what you want. For me I’ve got two kids with activities and a wife who tolerates it yet always has stuff she needs me to do on weekends. The Traeger allows me to be up and running a lot faster and once the meats down and the temps set it minimal effort save for checking temps and a refill of the hopper on a long cook. Everyone wins. If I have time to sit and tinker I’ll use my Weber.  

As for what to cook. Agree go shorter cook. I went pork belly burnt ends as there’s lots of fat (forgiving) like a shoulder but way less cook time. I botched my first batch so the $ sting wasn’t so bad. 

Also agree with the thermometer. That’s my next purchase (taking suggestions on a $30-50 option people like). Plan to get a stick/pen thermometer as well if that helps narrow. 

While my Weber Smokey man charcoal burner is indeed messy, my Traeger burns extremely clean in terms of mess remaining. 

As to what to get It really depends on what you want. For me I’ve got two kids with activities and a wife who tolerates it yet always has stuff she needs me to do on weekends. The Traeger allows me to be up and running a lot faster and once the meats down and the temps set it minimal effort save for checking temps and a refill of the hopper on a long cook. Everyone wins. If I have time to sit and tinker I’ll use my Weber.  

As for what to cook. Agree go shorter cook. I went pork belly burnt ends as there’s lots of fat (forgiving) like a shoulder but way less cook time. I botched my first batch so the $ sting wasn’t so bad. 

Also agree with the thermometer. That’s my next purchase (taking suggestions on a $30-50 option people like). Plan to get a stick/pen thermometer as well if that helps narrow. 
:thanks: for the advice.

Don't sweat it being electric. It produces smoke. That's all you need. In fact, that's about as pure a smoke as you will get. No petroleum products in the charcoal, no gas, just smoke. 

Users who are viewing this thread