What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Lawyer Thread Where We Stop Ruining Other Threads (9 Viewers)

Need some career advice.

I worked for a litigation firm for about 5 years out of law school. Hated every second of litigating and wanted to do corp/ transactional work, which the firm didn't do. Everybody is expected to try cases, and I have no desire to do that. So I switched firms and have been doing corp/ transactional work for almost 2 years.

I had an excellent reputation at the old firm and considered partnership a shoe-in. The culture was also unparalleled. Higher billable hours, but less emphasis on business development. I hated litigating, so I left, but on very good terms.

I like the work at the new firm, but miss my old firm, especially the culture. Career advancement definitely won't be as easy at the new firm, and the money and benefits will never be as good as the old firm. Fewer hours but more emphasis on business development.

I know the old firm would welcome me back, so I wouldn't have fears of job hopping. I don't think I have the expertise and business development skills to do corp work at the old firm, although that'd be nice. I always thought that I'd be happy doing anything but litigating, but now I'm wondering if that is a worthwhile trade off.

Any thoughts?

Need some career advice.

I worked for a litigation firm for about 5 years out of law school. Hated every second of litigating and wanted to do corp/ transactional work, which the firm didn't do. Everybody is expected to try cases, and I have no desire to do that. So I switched firms and have been doing corp/ transactional work for almost 2 years.

I had an excellent reputation at the old firm and considered partnership a shoe-in. The culture was also unparalleled. Higher billable hours, but less emphasis on business development. I hated litigating, so I left, but on very good terms.

I like the work at the new firm, but miss my old firm, especially the culture. Career advancement definitely won't be as easy at the new firm, and the money and benefits will never be as good as the old firm. Fewer hours but more emphasis on business development.

I know the old firm would welcome me back, so I wouldn't have fears of job hopping. I don't think I have the expertise and business development skills to do corp work at the old firm, although that'd be nice. I always thought that I'd be happy doing anything but litigating, but now I'm wondering if that is a worthwhile trade off.

Any thoughts?
You seem to be somewhat averse to business development and note the old firm has less emphasis on business development. Knowing nothing about the firm, I would still say this - it's great being a young superstar litigator at a litigation firm. You're in demand for a reason. Your billing rate is low, you work long hours and you're not a threat. However, it can get very tricky as you get older if you've not developed a client base.

Last edited by a moderator:
Need some career advice.

Any thoughts?
You seem to be somewhat averse to business development and note the old firm has less emphasis on business development. Knowing nothing about the firm, I would still say this - it's great being a young superstar litigator at a litigation firm. You're in demand for a reason. Your billing rate is low, you work long hours and you're not a threat. However, it can get very tricky as you get older if you've not developed a client base.
Not adverse to it, but I objectively, the old firm will promote you to partner even if you do not do substantial business development, whereas the new firm (as is the case with most firms) will not promote you without business development. I think that is an attractive proposition for a lot of associates.

The issue is really that I hate litigation and that is really all that the old firm does. It'd be nice to carve out a niche corp/transactional practice at the old firm, but I'm not sure I have the expertise or business development skills to really pull this off. I think the firm would support an effort like this, at least for a while, because they'be been talking about doing it some time, but just haven't been able to grow the practice. But after a while, if my hours are lagging, I would fear that I would be asked to litigate, which as I noted, I don't really want to do.

Need some career advice.

Any thoughts?
Not adverse to it, but I objectively, the old firm will promote you to partner even if you do not do substantial business development, whereas the new firm (as is the case with most firms) will not promote you without business development. I think that is an attractive proposition for a lot of associates.

The issue is really that I hate litigation and that is really all that the old firm does. It'd be nice to carve out a niche corp/transactional practice at the old firm, but I'm not sure I have the expertise or business development skills to really pull this off. I think the firm would support an effort like this, at least for a while, because they'be been talking about doing it some time, but just haven't been able to grow the practice. But after a while, if my hours are lagging, I would fear that I would be asked to litigate, which as I noted, I don't really want to do.
So does the old firm have a corporate/transactional practice, or would you have to create it from scratch if you went back there? If the practice already exists it seems like attempting to be a part of it, and pitching yourself as someone who can really help it grow, would make sense.

Need some career advice.

Any thoughts?

So does the old firm have a corporate/transactional practice, or would you have to create it from scratch if you went back there? If the practice already exists it seems like attempting to be a part of it, and pitching yourself as someone who can really help it grow, would make sense.
No, the old firm does not have a corp/transactional practice. See bolded from original post.

I just had a lawyer who regularly represents an insurance company I hate tell me her client wouldn't waive service on a federal court summons. I explained that was fine - but that her client would be receiving a bill for the service fees we incur.

"What? Why would we pay that?"

:mellow:

This is why we read amendments to the FRCP, people.

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
I just had a lawyer who regularly represents an insurance company I hate tell me her client wouldn't waive service on a federal court summons. I explained that was fine - but that her client would be receiving a bill for the service fees we incur.

I got this far and concluded she was ridiculous.

Yes.

On a positive note, I spent a large chunk of my memorial day friday and weekend prepping for and doing a Franks hearing. If you're unfamiliar, that's the type of hearing where, after some preliminary showing that the claim that an officer lied on a search warrant has some merit, testimony is taken from that officer to see if in fact the officer did lie (or at least showed a reckless disregard for the truth). If the court makes such a finding, the officer also winds up on the "Brady list" which could be potentially career-ending. In short, they're one of the most contentious hearings in criminal law and super stressful for all sides.

After the hearing the officer I accused of fabricating info came up to me and shook my hand and said anything that happened in the courtroom stays in the courtroom. I was greatly relieved because said officer owns a taproom I frequent. I also play contact sports against him and he's about 6'5" and in better shape than me. :thumbup:

Yes.
Or her client is

I think that's been the rule since before I went to law school.

Dumb question: my mom and stepfather had wills/living wills put together (thanks to some excellent advice here) while living in IN. They are about to move to WA. Do they need to get new ones or update the existing ones to reflect WA law, or are they fine with the existing ones? TIA; will not answer yours.

Dumb question: my mom and stepfather had wills/living wills put together (thanks to some excellent advice here) while living in IN. They are about to move to WA. Do they need to get new ones or update the existing ones to reflect WA law, or are they fine with the existing ones? TIA; will not answer yours.
Depends. IN and WA laws may be exactly the same and require no changes. They can probably toss a few bucks at a WA lawyer to give them the once-over.

Depends. IN and WA laws may be exactly the same and require no changes. They can probably toss a few bucks at a WA lawyer to give them the once-over.
Thanks! Hmmm, now if only I knew a WA lawyer who posted in this thread sometimes...

I think that's been the rule since before I went to law school.
Long ago it used to be permissive cost shifting, now it's mandatory. i don't remember when it changed.

This is a super-stupid question. But whatever. An in-law living in Chicago has cancer and asked me to be his executor. He sent me a copy of his will/trust/etc., but he can't find the original. I called the lawyer who drafted the will. The lawyer told me "I don't do that kind of work anymore," and told me that he does not have the original.

In order to make my life easier if/when he dies:

(1) Do I need to get this in-law to draft and sign a new will?

(2) In the alternative, could he just add a new signature page (and a notary page), slap it on a copy of his existing will, and sign and date it (along with the necessary Witness signatures and notarization). Will that make his "old copy" of his will a "new original" of his will (dated today)?

New will would be best. The second option is pretty much assuring you that you will deal with a contest of some kind. I would assume. IF this was NJ I would absolutely do a new one to be safe.

This is a super-stupid question. But whatever. An in-law living in Chicago has cancer and asked me to be his executor. He sent me a copy of his will/trust/etc., but he can't find the original. I called the lawyer who drafted the will. The lawyer told me "I don't do that kind of work anymore," and told me that he does not have the original.

In order to make my life easier if/when he dies:

(1) Do I need to get this in-law to draft and sign a new will?

(2) In the alternative, could he just add a new signature page (and a notary page), slap it on a copy of his existing will, and sign and date it (along with the necessary Witness signatures and notarization). Will that make his "old copy" of his will a "new original" of his will (dated today)?
If in-law still has capacity, why not sign a new one? The "slap a new page on it" just invites someone to challenge IMO.

New will would be best. The second option is pretty much assuring you that you will deal with a contest of some kind. I would assume. IF this was NJ I would absolutely do a new one to be safe.
I guess that's my question, in a weird kind of way. Let's say there are two scenarios:

(1) I type up a new will, but it is word-for-word the same as the old will, but then have new signatures and notaries etc etc.

(2) I photocopy the old will, but have new signature and notaries etc etc.

Is there a difference in the two things here? (I'm not trying to be difficult, just curious on a theoretical level). Another way to ask: By attaching a new signature page to a copy of the old will, doesn't that make this document the "new will"??

It's been 15 years since law school. I'm rusty.

Thanks! Hmmm, now if only I knew a WA lawyer who posted in this thread sometimes...
All I know about Washington estate stuff is that the probate laws here suck and are a nightmare.

I know a decent estate attorney if you want a number. She would probably answer this question for free.

All I know about Washington estate stuff is that the probate laws here suck and are a nightmare.

I know a decent estate attorney if you want a number. She would probably answer this question for free.
Cool, thanks! I'll hit you up in a month or so, after they move.

I guess that's my question, in a weird kind of way. Let's say there are two scenarios:

(1) I type up a new will, but it is word-for-word the same as the old will, but then have new signatures and notaries etc etc.

(2) I photocopy the old will, but have new signature and notaries etc etc.

Is there a difference in the two things here? (I'm not trying to be difficult, just curious on a theoretical level). Another way to ask: By attaching a new signature page to a copy of the old will, doesn't that make this document the "new will"??

It's been 15 years since law school. I'm rusty.
1 does not invite challenge, 2 does :shrug:

Nothing like the push in the last 24 hours to get an expert report over the finish line. :allnighter:

Question for the law-type people; a little background first:

Last Summer my house was struck by lightning and burned down. I hired a GC to do the repairs. After several months of delays, lies, and bull####, he flat out quit, after taking a significant portion of the insurance claim. It's been determined that many of the items that he billed for were not performed, and he has ignored my requests for receipts to support the supplements that he claims he performed.

I do have an attorney ready to roll, but in the interest of saving time, I would like to avoid suing him if possible. I would like to send him a certified letter detailing what I feel that he owes me (including additional incurred cost since our insurance provided living expenses run out next month and our house won't be liveable by then).

In the letter, I would detail the steps that I will take if he doesn't comply, up to and including reporting him to the state insurance commissioner. He also tried to get me to commit fraud by lying on a police report to inflate the value of some items that were stolen.

My question- what is the line between a legitimate threat of the actions that I will pursue and blackmail/extortion?

Last Summer my house was struck by lightning and burned down. I hired a GC to do the repairs. After several months of delays, lies, and bull####, he flat out quit, after taking a significant portion of the insurance claim. It's been determined that many of the items that he billed for were not performed, and he has ignored my requests for receipts to support the supplements that he claims he performed.

I do have an attorney ready to roll, but in the interest of saving time, I would like to avoid suing him if possible. I would like to send him a certified letter detailing what I feel that he owes me (including additional incurred cost since our insurance provided living expenses run out next month and our house won't be liveable by then).

In the letter, I would detail the steps that I will take if he doesn't comply, up to and including reporting him to the state insurance commissioner. He also tried to get me to commit fraud by lying on a police report to inflate the value of some items that were stolen.

My question- what is the line between a legitimate threat of the actions that I will pursue and blackmail/extortion?
Also look into whether your state requires builder/home improvement licensing and if so, go after his license. I did that to a home improvement guy who ripped off my former partner to the tune of $50K, and the guy has never been able to work in the state again.

There's a whole line of cases on that in California. Generally, making a threat to sue is not extortion, but threatening to do something else if the recipient doesn't settle up may be.

Better idea: keep your demand letter focused on the relief yo would be asking for in the action that you're threatening to bring and avoid extracurriculars.

Best idea: just skip demand letters entirely in situations like yours (where litigation seems pretty inevitable), as Christo and Yankee said. When I put on my plaintiff's attorney hat, I typically find them utterly and totally useless, and indeed, they can even harm your case by making you look eager to compromise. Just my two cents as to this paragraph, though; I know loads of practitioners who think demand letters before suing are indispensable.

Also look into whether your state requires builder/home improvement licensing and if so, go after his license. I did that to a home improvement guy who ripped off my former partner to the tune of $50K, and the guy has never been able to work in the state again.
Going after his license is definitely on the agenda.

There's a whole line of cases on that in California. Generally, making a threat to sue is not extortion, but threatening to do something else if the recipient doesn't settle up may be.

Better idea: keep your demand letter focused on the relief yo would be asking for in the action that you're threatening to bring and avoid extracurriculars.

Best idea: just skip demand letters entirely in situations like yours (where litigation seems pretty inevitable), as Christo and Yankee said. When I put on my plaintiff's attorney hat, I typically find them utterly and totally useless, and indeed, they can even harm your case by making you look eager to compromise. Just my two cents as to this paragraph, though; I know loads of practitioners who think demand letters before suing are indispensable.
Interesting. I'll be speaking with my attorney on Monday, so I'll see what he says.

Thanks to all who responded.

Lawyer Sues for Overtime, Claims Doc Review Isn't Legal PracticeBy Casey C. Sullivan, Esq. on June 2, 2015 9:09 AM
It's not exactly the glamorous legal work shown on "The Good Wife" -- or even "Night Court" -- but document review makes up a fair share of many attorneys' work. In fact, document review is one of the great unifiers of the legal profession. Highly paid associates at BigLaw firms often slog through tedious document review just like their poorly paid contract attorney counterparts.

But is document review even the practice of law? Not according to one lawyer, who is arguing that his year plus of doc review for Skadden was so rote and mechanical it couldn't possibly be considered legal work -- and thus, he should be entitled to significant overtime pay.
A Human Ctrl + F

Before suing for overtime pay, attorney David Lola worked for fifteen months doing document review for Skadden. He was making $25 an hour putting in 45 to 55 hours a week without ever receiving overtime. (Think about that the next time an associate complains about their bonuses.) Under the Fair Labor Standards Act, he would be entitled to time and a half for those extra hours, except that "bona fide professional" work, such as the practice of law, is exempt from the Act's requirements.

Lola's doc review position was fairly typical. His work involved, in its entirety, looking at for predetermined search terms in discovery documents, placing documents in predetermined categories and sometimes redacting sections. The work sounds more like a professional "ctrl + f" than the practice of law, but it was legal enough for the Southern District of New York, who ruled against him.

The Worst of Both Worlds

There's a surprising amount of debate as to whether document review is actually the practice of law. On the one hand, some view the practice of law as flexible enough to encompass both high level legal problem solving and more administrative tasks. The district court in Lola's case came down on this side, noting the simplistic nature of his work but describing it as "unequivocally the practice of law."

Many attorneys have taken issue with the rote nature of the work, however. Solo practitioner Mirriam Seddiq, who once worked in document review, attests that "there is no actual lawyering involved in document review," according to the ABA Journal.

For lawyers such as Lola, however, neither answer can be fully satisfying. On the one hand, if doc review is not the practice of law, Lola will be entitled to a fair amount of back pay. For doc review lawyers who aren't already getting overtime, that may be the closest they get to an annual bonus. On the other hand, if document review is not the practice of law, there's no reason to hire those contract lawyers in the first place. Heck, why not have high school students do it? Or robots?
http://blogs.findlaw.com/greedy_associates/2015/06/lawyer-sues-for-overtime-claims-doc-review-isnt-legal-practice.html?DCMP=CCX-FBLP

Document review is damned good billing time.

Lawyer Sues for Overtime, Claims Doc Review Isn't Legal PracticeBy Casey C. Sullivan, Esq. on June 2, 2015 9:09 AM
It's not exactly the glamorous legal work shown on "The Good Wife" -- or even "Night Court" -- but document review makes up a fair share of many attorneys' work. In fact, document review is one of the great unifiers of the legal profession. Highly paid associates at BigLaw firms often slog through tedious document review just like their poorly paid contract attorney counterparts.

But is document review even the practice of law? Not according to one lawyer, who is arguing that his year plus of doc review for Skadden was so rote and mechanical it couldn't possibly be considered legal work -- and thus, he should be entitled to significant overtime pay.
A Human Ctrl + F

Before suing for overtime pay, attorney David Lola worked for fifteen months doing document review for Skadden. He was making $25 an hour putting in 45 to 55 hours a week without ever receiving overtime. (Think about that the next time an associate complains about their bonuses.) Under the Fair Labor Standards Act, he would be entitled to time and a half for those extra hours, except that "bona fide professional" work, such as the practice of law, is exempt from the Act's requirements.

Lola's doc review position was fairly typical. His work involved, in its entirety, looking at for predetermined search terms in discovery documents, placing documents in predetermined categories and sometimes redacting sections. The work sounds more like a professional "ctrl + f" than the practice of law, but it was legal enough for the Southern District of New York, who ruled against him.

The Worst of Both Worlds

There's a surprising amount of debate as to whether document review is actually the practice of law. On the one hand, some view the practice of law as flexible enough to encompass both high level legal problem solving and more administrative tasks. The district court in Lola's case came down on this side, noting the simplistic nature of his work but describing it as "unequivocally the practice of law."

Many attorneys have taken issue with the rote nature of the work, however. Solo practitioner Mirriam Seddiq, who once worked in document review, attests that "there is no actual lawyering involved in document review," according to the ABA Journal.

For lawyers such as Lola, however, neither answer can be fully satisfying. On the one hand, if doc review is not the practice of law, Lola will be entitled to a fair amount of back pay. For doc review lawyers who aren't already getting overtime, that may be the closest they get to an annual bonus. On the other hand, if document review is not the practice of law, there's no reason to hire those contract lawyers in the first place. Heck, why not have high school students do it? Or robots?
http://blogs.findlaw.com/greedy_associates/2015/06/lawyer-sues-for-overtime-claims-doc-review-isnt-legal-practice.html?DCMP=CCX-FBLP

Document review is damned good billing time.
It pays my bills.

Ok, stupid lawyer question time.

Is there a statute of limitations when a person is demanding reimbursement(s) for costs or fees during a partition action?

For example. Partition complaint filed because 4 people owned a house for well over a decade. One of the parties brings forth a check for a significant amount of money that is at least 10 years old and probably witten when they all took title. Never anything in writing as to an agreement for reimbursement for that. But of course, now that there is a partition, the person wants 3/4 of the check back. Of all the partitions I've dealt with this has never come up.

So a couple years ago this up and coming, gung-ho prosecutor in my jurisdiction got put in charge of the drug prosecution division. Prior to her being there that practice area was smooth: prosecutors were reasonable, plea offers with incentives were made, and some nod towards rehabilitation was considered. However, she changed all that and instituted cross the board policies where all plea offers were essentially "trial offers" and has turned that area of criminal law practice into an essential nightmare. She's also not incredibly nice about it and she'll openly laugh at plea offers and scoff at particular trial defenses. She did so in this case. So we had trial this week.

Jury was out for twenty minutes. Not guilty. :pickle:

Yankee23Fan said:
Ok, stupid lawyer question time.

Is there a statute of limitations when a person is demanding reimbursement(s) for costs or fees during a partition action?

For example. Partition complaint filed because 4 people owned a house for well over a decade. One of the parties brings forth a check for a significant amount of money that is at least 10 years old and probably witten when they all took title. Never anything in writing as to an agreement for reimbursement for that. But of course, now that there is a partition, the person wants 3/4 of the check back. Of all the partitions I've dealt with this has never come up.
Okay, stupid lawyer question in response. What does the check have to do with costs and fees?

Zow said:
So a couple years ago this up and coming, gung-ho prosecutor in my jurisdiction got put in charge of the drug prosecution division. Prior to her being there that practice area was smooth: prosecutors were reasonable, plea offers with incentives were made, and some nod towards rehabilitation was considered. However, she changed all that and instituted cross the board policies where all plea offers were essentially "trial offers" and has turned that area of criminal law practice into an essential nightmare. She's also not incredibly nice about it and she'll openly laugh at plea offers and scoff at particular trial defenses. She did so in this case. So we had trial this week.

Jury was out for twenty minutes. Not guilty. :pickle:
Congrats and it seems like it's a good thing she doesn't like to deal. In fact given what keeps coming to light about the "justice" system perhaps a few less deals are in order. I wonder if as many innocents would have records if a jury decided instead.

Users who are viewing this thread