What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty & Redraft: RB Charles Sims, Buccaneers (1 Viewer)

The hype is getting a little outta control. Remember the Bucs o-line is the same hot mess it's been all season. That said, I think he's as good a mid season gamble as any, and the upside is real.
i thought i read the oline actually has graded put decently. And rainey has well over a 4 YPC. The issue seems to be Martin
The line is the worst in the league at run blocking. They played well one game and it happened to be one that Rainey started. Since then he's been running a bunch of 3rd and 20 draws while trailing by 28 points and still can't get up to 4ypc.

Martin has actually looked decent running with the ball, there's just nowhere to go.
Footballguys Matt Bitonti doesn't seem to hate them at all. Pretty decent grade I'd say. I haven't seen anything overly negative written all year. He does updates every week.

Why activate him now? He can still practice and they get to work some guys in at the roster spots vacated by traded players. Once they determine that he will definitely play and they activate him, they need to make a spot on the roster for him.

Why activate him now? He can still practice and they get to work some guys in at the roster spots vacated by traded players. Once they determine that he will definitely play and they activate him, they need to make a spot on the roster for him.
They don't need to make a spot on the roster for him. They already have a spot available.

(See Bucs transactions from the past week)

Last edited by a moderator:
ourmanflint said:
FreeBaGeL said:
Source?

Footballoutsiders has them 30th in run blocking, just behind Carolina.
PFF

Incidentally, PFF has them at 30th in pass blocking.
:confused:

The latest rankings I can find from PFF were from the beginning of October, where they have the Bucs 24th. After another month of suckitude I'd imagine they'll have them down near FO's 30th the next time the rankings come out.

I've watched every Bucs game this year. The line has been horrible. There's nowhere to run. People that haven't watched have deluded themselves into thinking Rainey has done OK because he had one good game and then a couple 15 yard runs on 3rd and 20 draws when the Bucs trailed by 30 points. This past week he had a 15 yard run on a 3rd and 17 draw through a hole that was opened up by a holding penalty that was declined because it brought up 4th down.

The reality is that Rainey has been every bit as bad as Martin in actual real game situations, with fumbling issues and a complete inability to pass block (literally, they never even let him try) thrown on top. Going back to last year, Rainey has eclipsed 3.7ypc in only 2 of his 8 career starts, 2nd worst in the NFL.

ETA: It's also worth noting that Rainey's complete inability to pass block bodes well for Sims chances of getting a lot of playing time if Martin is out. Pass blocking is the main thing that typically holds rookie RBs back but, since his competition can't do it anyway they have nothing to lose by leaving Sims out there.

Solid take FB. The first thing Lovie Smith did when he got the job was call out the ineffective line from last year. Talked about accountability. Then before he could even let the holdovers become accountable, he got rid of 4/5ths of the line and brought in high priced free agents to reshape it. The Bucs a couple years back invested a ton of money into their line and it was supposed to be one of the better ones. This spring, there was optimism that Doug Martin would return to his rookie form when he produced 2000 all purpose yards. Now, if you hear Lovie, it's clear he is disappointed with both the line and Martin. And you can hear it in his voice when he tails off. But when the subject of Sims comes up, he's like a different voice altogether. You can tell he's excited and been waiting a long time for Sims to get back.

Solid take FB. The first thing Lovie Smith did when he got the job was call out the ineffective line from last year. Talked about accountability. Then before he could even let the holdovers become accountable, he got rid of 4/5ths of the line and brought in high priced free agents to reshape it. The Bucs a couple years back invested a ton of money into their line and it was supposed to be one of the better ones. This spring, there was optimism that Doug Martin would return to his rookie form when he produced 2000 all purpose yards. Now, if you hear Lovie, it's clear he is disappointed with both the line and Martin. And you can hear it in his voice when he tails off. But when the subject of Sims comes up, he's like a different voice altogether. You can tell he's excited and been waiting a long time for Sims to get back.
Because the other personnel moves Lovie has made this year have been so fantastic, right...

Because the other personnel moves Lovie has made this year have been so fantastic, right...
I remember Lovie getting attached to players in Chicago. I hope this is more than a crush...

To be fair, that's on the new Bucs GM Jason Licht. A lot of his personnel moves haven't gone so good. Look, you knew you weren't getting Carl Nicks back and there was no way to replace him in kind, even though he never really got on the field anyway. But I thought the move to change the line wholesale during free agency was hasty. A couple of changes, ok. Three, you're pushing it. Four offensive linemen gone, now that's just being petty and smacks of agenda. Part of it also has been all during preseason, the line was never solidified and they've had too many moving parts to gel. Doesn't mean it can't be good or is undertalented. But it's clearly not working out as Licht and Lovie had hoped.

ourmanflint said:
FreeBaGeL said:
Source?

Footballoutsiders has them 30th in run blocking, just behind Carolina.
PFF

Incidentally, PFF has them at 30th in pass blocking.
:confused:

The latest rankings I can find from PFF were from the beginning of October, where they have the Bucs 24th. After another month of suckitude I'd imagine they'll have them down near FO's 30th the next time the rankings come out.

I've watched every Bucs game this year. The line has been horrible. There's nowhere to run. People that haven't watched have deluded themselves into thinking Rainey has done OK because he had one good game and then a couple 15 yard runs on 3rd and 20 draws when the Bucs trailed by 30 points. This past week he had a 15 yard run on a 3rd and 17 draw through a hole that was opened up by a holding penalty that was declined because it brought up 4th down.

The reality is that Rainey has been every bit as bad as Martin in actual real game situations, with fumbling issues and a complete inability to pass block (literally, they never even let him try) thrown on top. Going back to last year, Rainey has eclipsed 3.7ypc in only 2 of his 8 career starts, 2nd worst in the NFL.

ETA: It's also worth noting that Rainey's complete inability to pass block bodes well for Sims chances of getting a lot of playing time if Martin is out. Pass blocking is the main thing that typically holds rookie RBs back but, since his competition can't do it anyway they have nothing to lose by leaving Sims out there.
Their current grade on PFF for run blocking is 19th.

ETA: I found the line rankings from October 8th you were talking about. At that time they were rated 22nd in run blocking, 21st in pass blocking and 29th in penalties.

Currently their grade is 30th for pass blocking.

To be fair, that's on the new Bucs GM Jason Licht. A lot of his personnel moves haven't gone so good. Look, you knew you weren't getting Carl Nicks back and there was no way to replace him in kind, even though he never really got on the field anyway. But I thought the move to change the line wholesale during free agency was hasty. A couple of changes, ok. Three, you're pushing it. Four offensive linemen gone, now that's just being petty and smacks of agenda. Part of it also has been all during preseason, the line was never solidified and they've had too many moving parts to gel. Doesn't mean it can't be good or is undertalented. But it's clearly not working out as Licht and Lovie had hoped.
Because the other personnel moves Jason Licht has made this year have been so fantastic...

There are just a lot of people in here getting really excited about a rookie coming back from a devastating injury like he's not about to be playing his first game in a time share on the worst offense in the NFL.

Fwiw, a another good Tampa insider, Greg Auman, said to expect +10 carries with Martin out.

Because the other personnel moves Jason Licht has made this year have been so fantastic...

There are just a lot of people in here getting really excited about a rookie coming back from a devastating injury like he's not about to be playing his first game in a time share on the worst offense in the NFL.
I don't blame people for being geeked. I don't think Lovie trusts Rainey, especially in pass pro, and he's a marginal runner anyway. I also think he's tired of Doug Martin. A fresh back who is good at pass pro and a good reciever, if he gets going, it could avalanche quickly. Thing about the NFL is things change week to week, sometimes quarter to quarter. I don't buy that this is necessarily a time-share and I don't buy that this offense is going to end as the worst offense in the NFL.

Branden Oliver and Denard Robinson both run behind lines ranked bottom 5 in run blocking.

To me the most exciting thing about Sims short-term is his pass-catching. In college he caught 135 passes, averaging 10 yards per catch over three seasons with two different teams. I'd expect TB to play alot of catch-up the rest of this season.

To me the most exciting thing about Sims short-term is his pass-catching. In college he caught 135 passes, averaging 10 yards per catch over three seasons with two different teams. I'd expect TB to play alot of catch-up the rest of this season.
He'll definitely catch some balls. The problem with that is the RB, whoever it has been, has been getting swallowed up immediately on any type of screen or swing plays. Maybe Sims can make some room where Rainey and Martin haven't been able to? I just don't think it's as likely as some people in here seem to.

Uh-oh. Some bad news for the beleaguered Tampa Bay offensive line.

======================================================

Rick Stroud retweeted

Greg Auman @gregauman · 2h 2 hours ago
Bucs left tackle Anthony Collins not practicing again and limping as he battles foot injury. Oniel Cousins working at left tackle.

If you are not aware of how bad O'Neil Cousins has been, he rates as Charles Barkley would say 'turrible'.

He 'filled-in' on the Browns offensive line last year and was truly-TRULY awful.

If he winds up playing blind-side tackle its all around bad news for the Bucs offense.

Add this line from the linked-above story per projected use of C-Simms from a team source.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/front-office-insider-charles-sims-buccaneers-doug-martin-lovie-smith-anthony-barr-102914

"There's a role for him," a Buccaneers team source told FOXSports.com. "While he might not get No. 1 carries right away, he's definitely a third-down back and could possibly be a factor in the screen game. He's a player that has that game-breaking ability."

I that is the take away on reasonable projected use where they would want to ease him in. Then factor in a shaky offensive line that 'could' take a hit at left tackle coupled with the fact he's a rookie and the biggest issue facing rookie RBs is learning blitz pick-ups and that takes time.

Long term optimism with short term caution seems to be the way to play it this week IMHO.

I picked up Sims and Mason. Both look to be leaned on heavily down the stretch to salvage their respective seasons and, by extension, some jobs in the process.

Uh-oh. Some bad news for the beleaguered Tampa Bay offensive line.

Rick Stroud retweeted

Greg Auman @gregauman · 2h 2 hours ago

Bucs left tackle Anthony Collins not practicing again and limping as he battles foot injury. Oniel Cousins working at left tackle.

If you are not aware of how bad O'Neil Cousins has been, he rates as Charles Barkley would say 'turrible'.

He 'filled-in' on the Browns offensive line last year and was truly-TRULY awful.

If he winds up playing blind-side tackle its all around bad news for the Bucs offense.

Add this line from the linked-above story per projected use of C-Simms from a team source.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/front-office-insider-charles-sims-buccaneers-doug-martin-lovie-smith-anthony-barr-102914

"There's a role for him," a Buccaneers team source told FOXSports.com. "While he might not get No. 1 carries right away, he's definitely a third-down back and could possibly be a factor in the screen game. He's a player that has that game-breaking ability."
I that is the take away on reasonable projected use where they would want to ease him in. Then factor in a shaky offensive line that 'could' take a hit at left tackle coupled with the fact he's a rookie and the biggest issue facing rookie RBs is learning blitz pick-ups and that takes time.

Long term optimism with short term caution seems to be the way to play it this week IMHO.
It's all shaping up well for a dominant performance...

Fwiw, a another good Tampa insider, Greg Auman, said to expect +10 carries with Martin out.
10+ carries or 10+ touches? Big difference. If he gets over 10 carries plus his potential receiving he'd be a lot more than a roll of the dice flex play this week if Martin's out. If it's 10+ touches he still would have nice potential but it might be mainly in PPR formats.

From RW:

Speaking Thursday, Bucs coach Lovie Smith again hedged on RB Charles Sims' (ankle, I.R./return) Week 9 status.
"I don't know if he'll be ready to go this week," Smith said, before adding that Sims has been "making progress." We're still expecting Sims to suit up, especially with Doug Martin (ankle) looking shaky, but his status can't be taken for granted quite yet. Hopefully Sims is officially activated on Friday.

So there *is* a chance he won't play... When will we know? Will they activate today if he does or wait until ... hmm when is the last moment they can activate him to play this week under the rules?

So there *is* a chance he won't play... When will we know? Will they activate today if he does or wait until ... hmm when is the last moment they can activate him to play this week under the rules?
Pretty sure it's when game day inactives are due before the game on Sunday. They don't have to do anything earlier than that. Here's an article about a Giants OL from earlier this season that provides a good breakdown of the overall rules around IR designated to return. http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2014/09/nfl_short-term_injured_reserve_how_it_works_what_it_means_to_giants_ol_geoff_schwartz.html

If Martin doesn't practice today he almost certainly won't play. That would leave the Bucs with just two RBs on the active roster (Rainey and James). So if no RB moves are made on Saturday I'd say the chances of Sims playing are pretty close to 100%. I can't believe the Bucs would go into a game with only two RBs.

Pretty sure it's when game day inactives are due before the game on Sunday. They don't have to do anything earlier than that. Here's an article about a Giants OL from earlier this season that provides a good breakdown of the overall rules around IR designated to return. http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2014/09/nfl_short-term_injured_reserve_how_it_works_what_it_means_to_giants_ol_geoff_schwartz.html
I think this is true, unless they have to make a roster move in order to activate him. If that's the case, I think they have to make the roster move by Saturday.

That being said, I don't think TB needs to make a roster move. I believe they have an open slot due to the trade they made this week.

One of the Bucs beat writers was just on Cleveland Browns Daily and he said that Tampa Bay RB Charles Simms is a GTD and that could go right up to the last minute.

He stated that no matter what happens with the Simms decision that RB Bobby Rainey would get the bulk of the carries but Charles Simms is a 'game time decision'.

One of the Bucs beat writers was just on Cleveland Browns Daily and he said that Tampa Bay RB Charles Simms is a GTD and that could go right up to the last minute.

He stated that no matter what happens with the Simms decision that RB Bobby Rainey would get the bulk of the carries but Charles Simms is a 'game time decision'.
Sims, not Simms

They just have to activate him by tomorrow.
No, they don't.

They can activate him at anytime. The only reason they'd need to activate him tomorrow would be if that need to make a space on their 53 man roster. Since they still have an open spot from the trade they made, they don't need to do that. If they don't activate him, they'll simply have 4 men inactive this week, instead of 5.

With all this talk about when he may or may not be activated or not, keep in mind this game is in Cleveland. If he travels with the team, he's probably going to play.

With all this talk about when he may or may not be activated or not, keep in mind this game is in Cleveland. If he travels with the team, he's probably going to play.
That's a good point. If he doesn't travel we will know for sure, but if he travels we still may not know for sure, but can expect that he will play.

ESPN's Adam Caplan reports the Bucs are expected to activate rookie Charles Sims from the injured reserve-designated for return list by 4pm ET on Saturday.

The Bucs' third-round pick is expected to be active for Sunday's game against the Browns, but his role remains unclear. The Tampa coaching staff likely hasn't even decided fully yet. Expect Bobby Rainey to get the start, and Sims to be eased in. That would be the conservative projection, of course. There is an outside chance Sims could become a useful flex play by as early as Week 10 against Atlanta. He should be rostered in leagues of all sizes.

Users who are viewing this thread