Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
fantasycurse42

Can we discuss pet peeves here?

the inability to understand conversational volume.  or situational volume.

we're in an office. people are trying to think and/or talk on the phone. this isn't a rock concert. you don't need to shout loud enough to be heard over 120 decibels. i don't need to hear every word of your phone call from 30 yards away.

CAN YOU IMAGINE THE PTSD FROM LISTENING TO IT 8 HOURS A DAY!!#!$!%!%!@$!%!% JEEPERS!!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, mr. furley said:

the inability to understand conversational volume.  or situational volume.

we're in an office. people are trying to think and/or talk on the phone. this isn't a rock concert. you don't need to shout loud enough to be heard over 120 decibels. i don't need to hear every word of your phone call from 30 yards away.

CAN YOU IMAGINE THE PTSD FROM LISTENING TO IT 8 HOURS A DAY!!#!$!%!%!@$!%!% JEEPERS!!

I have a loud, booming voice and I'm sure people hate me for it.  

• Sad 1

I don't like how the trailers start playing automatically in the background now when browsing Netflix and other streaming services, scrolling through titles.  Worse, sometimes the episode/movie just starts playing on its own.  

• Like 5

On 12/31/2019 at 5:16 PM, eoMMan said:

Fireworks. 

I am so over them. 

OK I get it that it's a symbol of our freedom and fun for the kids on 4th of July, but why has it morphed into something that's done on New Years?  And living in California, we get them from 9pm (hey, it's 2020 in New York!) past midnight.  I didn't get to sleep until well after 1am the other night, slept like crap, and of course was woken up at 7 by my kids, who slept right through them.  Not to mention my poor dog who is absolutely terrified of them.  

• Like 3

minor gripe:

while scrolling down a page, getting a notification in the bottom right hand corner...clicking on it without an opportunity not to, routing you to the pop up away from the page you are on

• Like 1

More traffic gripes

In left lane, going maybe 5 over.....trying a pass a guy going the speed limit.  A dude pulls up on your butt.....So rather than speed up to pass and risk a ticket, you pull behind the slower moving guy so the guy on your butt can blow past you.

Andddd...the blow past you guy slows down and now you have to brake and you're stuck behind the slow guy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, supermike80 said:

More traffic gripes

In left lane, going maybe 5 over.....trying a pass a guy going the speed limit.  A dude pulls up on your butt.....So rather than speed up to pass and risk a ticket, you pull behind the slower moving guy so the guy on your butt can blow past you.

Andddd...the blow past you guy slows down and now you have to brake and you're stuck behind the slow guy.

Why would you need to speed up if you are already going faster than the guy? Complete the pass, then move to the right.

• Like 1

It's bad enough when an average-sized car is parked too far up (front of car over the line into facing spot) in a crowded parking lot, but when it's one of those little Coopers or Smart cars or the like, I can't help but feel the driver did it on purpose so that people like me think it's an open spot right up until the point I'm about to pull into it.

On 12/31/2019 at 5:02 PM, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

I tend to get the inverse of this.

Me: Where do I need to go?

Pop: Well, take hwy 45 for 3 miles ...

Me: No. What address?

Mom: 2345 Dimwit Way.

Pop: ... then turn left onto 141 at the junction ...

Me: Pop, I got it. Good to go.

Pop: ... after 6 miles you will need to ...

Me: No Pop. I'm good. My phone will direct me.

Pop: ... what? Oh. You don't like that route? Well then, try going via 211. There is an old KFC on the left ...

(20 minutes later)

.... and that might be the best plan, son. But, if you want my opinion...

Me: :wall:

My wife takes anything Wayz tells her/us as gospel.  I mean I get it...the app is constantly giving you the “best” route...but sometimes it’s a joke.

Me  “I am NOT getting off the freeway and taking surface streets in the worst part of Los Angeles for 10 miles to save 2 minutes.”

Wife:  “I’m just telling what it says to do!”

• Like 2

18 hours ago, supermike80 said:

More traffic gripes

Or the reverse...pulling up behind a car in the right lane, move over to pass and as soon as you reach his reach fender, he speeds up.  Move back behind him...then it happens again.
I could probably fill a page with driving complaints after a 12 hour drive this week.  People cant even do the simple crap right.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, OrtonToOlsen said:

My wife takes anything Wayz tells her/us as gospel.  I mean I get it...the app is constantly giving you the “best” route...but sometimes it’s a joke.

Me  “I am NOT getting off the freeway and taking surface streets in the worst part of Los Angeles for 10 miles to save 2 minutes.”

Wife:  “I’m just telling what it says to do!”

I decided to ignore Waze at Disney last week Because I knew better and ended up adding 10 minutes to a 30 minute trip. Of course the entire way the wife was keeping me updated on what Waze was telling me to do AND the time I was adding. 

Waze is by far the best GPS out there in terms of giving you the accurate route, but yeah sometimes you have to weigh saving 30 seconds vs. getting off the freeway and getting right back on or making a left turn on a busy street without a stoplight.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Scoresman said:

Waze is by far the best GPS out there in terms of giving you the accurate route, but yeah sometimes you have to weigh saving 30 seconds vs. getting off the freeway and getting right back on or making a left turn on a busy street without a stoplight.  

And like most things, it's not perfect.  

My pet peeve is when people try to tell you things work 100% all of the time just because they like the service.  Waze is a good example, but it's other things too.  Like the guy who sees my iPhone and tells me I should get a Galaxy because they are better and never have issues.  Really?  Never?  It's perfect?  Well, except for that whole catching on fire and exploding thing, I guess.

5 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

My pet peeve is when people try to tell you things work 100% all of the time just because they like the service.  Waze is a good example, but it's other things too.  Like the guy who sees my iPhone and tells me I should get a Galaxy because they are better and never have issues.  Really?  Never?  It's perfect?  Well, except for that whole catching on fire and exploding thing, I guess.

I've started using some new shtick in those situations:

"Man, I guess you're better than me."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

Well saying that something is the best out there is not the same as saying it is perfect.  

But Waze has Mr. T voice navigation so it's pretty damn near perfect.  

20 minutes ago, Scoresman said:

Well saying that something is the best out there is not the same as saying it is perfect.  

But Waze has Mr. T voice navigation so it's pretty damn near perfect.  

I wasn't accusing you, GB.  Even as I wrote the above, I thought maybe I should put a disclaimer that I wasn't talking about you.  

I was just adding on to the conversation.  I was referring more to people who will not admit that the thing they love is not 100% perfect.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Waiting in a line for the bathroom at a crowded football stadium, there are always folks who decide to not wait in  line and go through the exit bypassing the line.  :hot:

Edited by miapug
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, miapug said:

Waiting in a line for the bathroom at a crowded football stadium, there are always folks who decide to not wait I  line and go through the exit bypassing the line.  :hot:

I've seen fights at Arrowhead for that behavior.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, parasaurolophus said:

Texting when phone call is better.

Many FFA denizens would say this situation simply does not exist. In fact, I guarantee if you go back through this thread, you'll find a few posts to that effect.

8 minutes ago, DallasDMac said:

Many FFA denizens would say this situation simply does not exist. In fact, I guarantee if you go back through this thread, you'll find a few posts to that effect.

Not true...in fact I posted it as a pet peeve.

One example..  airport pickup. Stop texting where you are standing, moving too etc.   I can't read that while I'm driving through the terminal to look for you

15 minutes ago, belljr said:

Not true...in fact I posted it as a pet peeve.

One example..  airport pickup. Stop texting where you are standing, moving too etc.   I can't read that while I'm driving through the terminal to look for you

Took me about half a second to find, in this thread:

"Yeah phone conversations are obsolete now. With mobile phones, more often than not, I'm too busy to answer the phone. Just send what you need to say in a text."

Not saying it is everyone. But it is quite a few.

I try really really hard not to text while driving.  I do a lot of driving for my job, and utilize a dashboard magnet mount for my phone for GPS/whatever. If I get a text while driving, as long as it's not a dire someone-is-bleeding emergency, I will wait until I stop to respond.  Sometimes it's at a red light, or a stop sign (if no one is waiting behind me), but I try my best not to at all. My wife is well aware of this.   

When I get ready to leave somewhere and head home, I'll shoot the wife a quick "leaving now" text, and she knows where I am and therefore about how long it'll take me to arrive.  It never fails, at some point in my drive I'll get a text: "What do you want for dinner?".  I'll call her, and we'll discuss it.  20 minutes later I get "did you give the cat it's medicine this morning?"  I'll call her and discuss it.  Then I'll get "do you want to go to the farmer's market on Saturday?  They're having a sale on yams"....you know I'm driving, quit texting me woman! 

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, wlwiles said:

I try really really hard not to text while driving.  I do a lot of driving for my job, and utilize a dashboard magnet mount for my phone for GPS/whatever. If I get a text while driving, as long as it's not a dire someone-is-bleeding emergency, I will wait until I stop to respond.  Sometimes it's at a red light, or a stop sign (if no one is waiting behind me), but I try my best not to at all. My wife is well aware of this.   

When I get ready to leave somewhere and head home, I'll shoot the wife a quick "leaving now" text, and she knows where I am and therefore about how long it'll take me to arrive.  It never fails, at some point in my drive I'll get a text: "What do you want for dinner?".  I'll call her, and we'll discuss it.  20 minutes later I get "did you give the cat it's medicine this morning?"  I'll call her and discuss it.  Then I'll get "do you want to go to the farmer's market on Saturday?  They're having a sale on yams"....you know I'm driving, quit texting me woman! 

Stop calling back.

• Like 4

One of the advantages of living here is suppose to be the winter weather. 71 degrees today. Am I out enjoying it? No. Why? Because the mountain cedar pollen is ever so slightly elevated a TWENTY-EIGHT THOUSAND. A reading of 500 is considered high. But... TWENTY-EIGHT THOUSAND. If my wife steps outside, she'd spontaneously combust. Ain't no way I'm cleaning up that mess.

35 minutes ago, DallasDMac said:

One of the advantages of living here is suppose to be the winter weather. 71 degrees today. Am I out enjoying it? No. Why? Because the mountain cedar pollen is ever so slightly elevated a TWENTY-EIGHT THOUSAND. A reading of 500 is considered high. But... TWENTY-EIGHT THOUSAND. If my wife steps outside, she'd spontaneously combust. Ain't no way I'm cleaning up that mess.

Wow.  And I thought the teeny amount of cedar here in Houston was bad.

And the weather is glorious.

2 hours ago, Mrs. Rannous said:

Wow.  And I thought the teeny amount of cedar here in Houston was bad.

And the weather is glorious.

I just went out and just stood outside a bit to enjoy the nice weather and clear skies. It's a shame we can't take advantage of it. A rainy day would do wonders to knock it down. But we are mired in this drought that has us not seeing an inch of rain since October. So all the conditions are in place to keep the pollen count miserable.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, wlwiles said:

If you want to end it, and if you have an iphone, enable "do not disturb while driving".  Wife will get an auto response saying you will get back to her when you wont be distracted.  Not sure on android, but Im sure they have something similar.  Works pretty well for me.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208090

Edited by gmbacm

3 hours ago, DallasDMac said:

I just went out and just stood outside a bit to enjoy the nice weather and clear skies. It's a shame we can't take advantage of it. A rainy day would do wonders to knock it down. But we are mired in this drought that has us not seeing an inch of rain since October. So all the conditions are in place to keep the pollen count miserable.

This is a shot from last year, but it looks about the same now.  Some poeple thought it was smoke and called the fire department.

6 hours ago, Mrs. Rannous said:

This is a shot from last year, but it looks about the same now.  Some poeple thought it was smoke and called the fire department.

Yep. The news last night was showing pics sent in by area locals that looked just like that. My plan had been to move out to the hill country when we retired. The wife has informed me that plan is no longer viable.

Had a new one on the way to work this morning.  People making bad decisions due to other people making bad decisions due to other people making bad decisions.

School bus went into an interstion it was obviously not geting to get through due to stopped traffic, a turning bus then went into the interstion even though it was obvious he wasn't going anywhere (making a T with the first bus).  We now have 2 busses just sitting in the intersection.  Car drives up the oncoming traffic lane to make a left by cutting behind the second bus, at the same time a car going the opposite direction tried to turn from the other side of the bus (both cars turned to head west).  Neither car could see the other due to the bus.  They came a foot from crashing into each other.  

1 hour ago, UOFI_316 said:

Had a new one on the way to work this morning.  People making bad decisions due to other people making bad decisions due to other people making bad decisions.

School bus went into an interstion it was obviously not geting to get through due to stopped traffic, a turning bus then went into the interstion even though it was obvious he wasn't going anywhere (making a T with the first bus).  We now have 2 busses just sitting in the intersection.  Car drives up the oncoming traffic lane to make a left by cutting behind the second bus, at the same time a car going the opposite direction tried to turn from the other side of the bus (both cars turned to head west).  Neither car could see the other due to the bus.  They came a foot from crashing into each other.  

Diagram of this?

On 12/31/2019 at 7:16 PM, eoMMan said:

Fireworks. 

Agreed. I understand if you're a 6 year old, but a grown man interested in this probably touches said 6 year old. 

In 1/2 mile stretch of road in my town you have This sequence. Speed limit 35. "School Zone: Speed Limit 25". Speed limit 35. Speed limit 25. Speed limit 35. "School Zone Speed Limit 15 when children present". Speed limit 35.

I think the bold was put in place because of some rough railroad tracks but then that left the the italicized stretch as like 400 feet. Why not just make it 25 throughout and eliminate any confusion? Also what exactly does children present mean? Like if there are kids on the soccer field 200 feet away are they present? 

18 hours ago, DallasDMac said:

Zyrtec d works wonders for me. 

I've got one: plumbers leaving sewer lines open while not present in a building under construction. It's bad enough when they're here working on it, but there's no working AC yet, it's fairly warm(it's Florida, it's always warm), and one of the last things I want to deal with is getting hit directly in the nose with a wall smelling of ###. Plug that stuff up when you're not here!

• Sad 1

People who smell up an entire portion of the gym with their BO.   WTF.  Come on people!

7 minutes ago, urbanhack said:

People who smell up an entire portion of the gym with their BO.   WTF.  Come on people!

Are we OK with the guy who only smells up a small portion, though?  

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

Are we OK with the guy who only smells up a small portion, though?  

Yes...own personal space is cool.  But if you’re on the treadmill and I’m thrashing bench presses 50 feet away we have a problem.  

Edited by urbanhack

25 minutes ago, urbanhack said:

Yes...own personal space is cool.  But if you’re on the treadmill and I’m thrashing bench presses 50 feet away we have a problem.  

can we get him  to work out in a phone booth?

• Laughing 1

People creating other threads when they should have posted here 

24 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

People creating other threads when they should have posted here 

I really do hate that. Enough where I should start a thread about it.

• Like 1

When your phone sees you spell something wrong and puts a red line under it instead of just fixing it when it knows what you meant.

I just typed the word "suppsed" by accident and it put a red line under it.  When I click on it, it only gives one choice.  #####, if you only think it could be one thing, than just change it.  Meanwhile, with 'some' and 'done' you're so quick to assume.  :rant:

• Like 2

Meth heads that get a "cup for water" and then proceed to fill it with Mountain Dew.

54 minutes ago, nirad3 said:

Meth heads that get a "cup for water" and then proceed to fill it with Mountain Dew.

Wasn't there a FBG who did this at Chic-fil-a?

11 hours ago, nirad3 said:

if they are true meth heads, they might have an MD’s note excusing their behavior. drinking unadulterated water would probably kill them, it’s too pure.

• Thinking 1

The contractor in my office who, when I use my default greeting in the morning of "hey, how you doing'?", proceeds to list out all of his ailments and pains. I've had to shorten it to "morning" to avoid the conversation.

• Like 2