What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] Todd Gurley (7 Viewers)

I'm debating him or Martin. Leaning Martin though. 

I'm starting him in one league but we're talking over guys like Perkins and Dixon. 

Man, I hate how Gurley is used (not used).  This is a guy that should be off the field no more than about two...maybe three series a game. Even if he's not going to get the call, the defenses need to be aware and adjusting accordingly for the threat of him.  Fisher makes it too easy. These completely specific packages tell the defense 85% of the plays coming.  

And then after coddling that #1 overall pick, instead of having a game plan that utilizes the strength that the big RB and TE and WR could factor into, they just go completely away from it.  Kind of amazing how transparent it is. 

As bad as he has been, he dominates touches more so than any other back in the league.  The Rams are being careful to not let the truth get out.  If he misses a game the line will magically block better for Cunningham.

As bad as he has been, he dominates touches more so than any other back in the league.  The Rams are being careful to not let the truth get out.  If he misses a game the line will magically block better for Cunningham.
 Have read this a few times and have no clue what's been said here. Are you saying the team doesn't like Gurley so they're not playing hard for him, are you saying Benny is a better RB then Gurley, or just making a joke I'm missing.    Not trying to be a #### just really don't understand. 

I'm saying the team does like Gurley or at least they are protecting their investment in him in so much as they will not give Cunningham any significant run.  I think if Cunningham is given the opportunity,  he will be more productive than Gurley has been.  Gurley's start this year was Trent Richardson bad.  It makes no sense why he is dominating the touches as he is.  If Cunningham is given an opportunity and is more productive than Gurley, than its much easier to identify Gurley as the problem.  I think that is a bridge the Rams don't want to cross.  Gurley is a bust.  He may have some productive years, but will never live up to his high first round selection.

31-yard completion on the game's first play. You'd think Fisher would maybe dial that one up again, right? Nah, let's just that toss that in the toilet and never use it again, especially in the second half when the Rams couldn't get anything going at all offensively and Goff was really struggling. 

All you can do is laugh at this point at the coaching ineptitude.

I'm saying the team does like Gurley or at least they are protecting their investment in him in so much as they will not give Cunningham any significant run.  I think if Cunningham is given the opportunity,  he will be more productive than Gurley has been.  Gurley's start this year was Trent Richardson bad.  It makes no sense why he is dominating the touches as he is.  If Cunningham is given an opportunity and is more productive than Gurley, than its much easier to identify Gurley as the problem.  I think that is a bridge the Rams don't want to cross.  Gurley is a bust.  He may have some productive years, but will never live up to his high first round selection.
Got it, Thanks.  I don't agree with most of this especially the bust statement but understand your position.  

So.....back again. Anybody  else going to get excited about the 7 point floor and ceiling this week? Then again, he faces The Hoody. Might have to temper expectations.

Maybe you've commented earlier but why do you think he's a bust?  It appears you don't think this year is a team issue. People have mention TRich and Gurley in the same breath before but TRich did nothing close to what Gurley showed last year. I'm believing in Gurley but I don't want to go down with the ship if there's something staring me in the face with his talent. 

Maybe you've commented earlier but why do you think he's a bust?  It appears you don't think this year is a team issue. People have mention TRich and Gurley in the same breath before but TRich did nothing close to what Gurley showed last year. I'm believing in Gurley but I don't want to go down with the ship if there's something staring me in the face with his talent. 
I don't know how anyone could look like he did last year and not have talent.  I think the TRich compare is at best way too early and at worst, just plain silly.

Per Schefter

Jeff Fisher has signed extension, as @RapSheet reported. Deal done weeks ago. Rams GM Les Snead also signed extension, per sources.

:wall:

So... Who is rolling with middle school Todd this week... Thursday night at Seattle?  Can't be many of us redraft gurley folks still alive

Benching him this week. Putting in bids for Powell, Farrow and McKinnon (tight roster spot league so all on the WW). Am very excited about Week 16 with Fisher gone, though. I know Niners shut him down in Week 1 but their run defense is a complete train wreck now. The Falcons' run D is a train wreck too and Gurley had his most productive fantasy game in almost two months against them. Only thing that prevented him from going off even more was, of course, Fisher's idiotic usage. But now he's gone so I'm hoping that leads to big things in Week 16.   

I'm going contrarian and starting him.  Guys are playing and coaching for their next coach, and they want the best possible film for them to review.  Boras has the most to gain/lose here.  He can really look like a guy that was held back by the ultra-conservative Fisher if they go out and put some offense up the last 3 games or he can look like he was the problem all along.  I read a good article about Fisher and his reputation that any semi-hot OC candidate wouldn't consider working for him because he would hold them back so he was stuck hiring/promoting guys that weren't really qualified/ready.  Boras can break out of that or confirm it. 

I'm going contrarian and starting him.  Guys are playing and coaching for their next coach, and they want the best possible film for them to review.  Boras has the most to gain/lose here.  He can really look like a guy that was held back by the ultra-conservative Fisher if they go out and put some offense up the last 3 games or he can look like he was the problem all along.  I read a good article about Fisher and his reputation that any semi-hot OC candidate wouldn't consider working for him because he would hold them back so he was stuck hiring/promoting guys that weren't really qualified/ready.  Boras can break out of that or confirm it. 
If I read something that says the Rams plan to get Gurley heavily involved in the passing game - which someone should have done a long time ago - I'll start him since that would raise his floor considerably in PPR. Otherwise he'll remain benched for me. Just can't take the chance on a single-digit game from him in Week 15. But if I knew for sure I was getting 4-5 receptions from him and could feel 99% sure of a double-digit floor I'd roll the dice. Just not sure how much Fisher residue will still be in place and how pissed off the Seattle defense is gonna be after the ### whipping the Packers dropped on them last Sunday. 

If I read something that says the Rams plan to get Gurley heavily involved in the passing game - which someone should have done a long time ago - I'll start him since that would raise his floor considerably in PPR. Otherwise he'll remain benched for me. Just can't take the chance on a single-digit game from him in Week 15. But if I knew for sure I was getting 4-5 receptions from him and could feel 99% sure of a double-digit floor I'd roll the dice. Just not sure how much Fisher residue will still be in place and how pissed off the Seattle defense is gonna be after the ### whipping the Packers dropped on them last Sunday. 
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8953/benny-cunningham

Rams placed RB Benny Cunningham on injured reserve with a neck injury, ending his season.
Cunningham went down in Week 13. Todd Gurley's change of pace finishes the year with a modest 37 touches, just 21 of which were carries. Cunningham is a poor runner and average pass catcher. With Cunningham in the final year of his contract, the Rams could look for an upgrade this offseason. Dec 15 - 3:10 PM
Do they have any choice BUT to get him involved in the passing game?  New backup Malcolm Brown has 11 carries and 2 receptions all year.

My other choices this week are Ware and Ingram/Hightower, so really hoping this could work out even if on volume only.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8953/benny-cunningham

Rams placed RB Benny Cunningham on injured reserve with a neck injury, ending his season.
Cunningham went down in Week 13. Todd Gurley's change of pace finishes the year with a modest 37 touches, just 21 of which were carries. Cunningham is a poor runner and average pass catcher. With Cunningham in the final year of his contract, the Rams could look for an upgrade this offseason. Dec 15 - 3:10 PM
Do they have any choice BUT to get him involved in the passing game?  New backup Malcolm Brown has 11 carries and 2 receptions all year.

My other choices this week are Ware and Ingram/Hightower, so really hoping this could work out even if on volume only.
Yeah I'm starting him tonight but mainly because there's just nothing else for me to really consider. Good news is in the games Cunningham has missed Gurley has caught 3 passes in both of them. He got 51 yards against Seattle in Week 2 so if he can at least get 50-60 tonight with 3-4 receptions that could get him around 10 points in PPR since he's usually good for 8-9 yards per catch. That's hardly cause to start dancing in the streets but for Gurley this year it's actually not a terrible week and I'd actually take it. If he could surprise with a TD it'd be a pretty darn good week. I doubt the Seahawks pitch a shutout so a touchdown isn't the craziest thing to believe could happen and if the Rams score Gurley's a top guy to think could be the one to do it.

If Seattle plays from the front as expected and no Cunningham and Brown looking completely terrible last week you would think Gurley should get 5-6 catches tonight at the very least on top of whatever he can get rushing (and Seattle's run defense has been a little generous lately for what it's worth). But even without Fisher I'm not sure we can count on too much common sense being restored to the Rams' offense on a short week tonight unfortunately. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I'm starting him tonight but mainly because there's just nothing else for me to really consider. Good news is in the games Cunningham has missed Gurley has caught 3 passes in both of them. He got 51 yards against Seattle in Week 2 so if he can at least get 50-60 tonight with 3-4 receptions that could get him around 10 points in PPR. That's hardly cause to start dancing in the streets but for Gurley this year it's actually not a terrible week and I'd actually take it. If he could surprise with a TD it'd be a pretty darn good week. I doubt the Seahawks pitch a shutout so a touchdown isn't the craziest thing to believe could happen and if the Rams score Gurley's a top guy to think could be the one to do it.

If Seattle plays from the front as expected and no Cunningham and Brown looking completely terrible last week you would think Gurley should get 5-6 catches tonight at the very least on top of whatever he can get rushing (and Seattle's run defense has been a little generous lately for what it's worth). But even without Fisher I'm not sure we can count on too much common sense being restored to the Rams' offense on a short week tonight unfortunately. 
Curious of your options...as shared, I am deciding between Ware, Gurley, and Ingram/Hightower.  Would be helpful to compare your ####storm to mine:)

Curious of your options...as shared, I am deciding between Ware, Gurley, and Ingram/Hightower.  Would be helpful to compare your ####storm to mine:)
Riddick is hurt so I'd have to hit the WW if I wanted to bench Gurley and best options there are Gillislee,Duke Johnson or Chris Thompson. Don't see any of them being more appealing than Gurley and in my league we have to pay a transaction fee so I'm not gonna waste money for a move that might end up costing me points. I'll take my chances with Gurley. My team is in a good position this week based on matchups so all I really need from Gurley is 10-12 points. If he can get that I'll be satisfied. Anything more will be a bonus.

Of course no telling what will happen Saturday, Sunday and Monday but the matchups for the rest of my lineup are really good. Gurley's the one spot in my lineup who I was having the biggest issue with due to his matchup but once I saw yesterday that Cunningham was out I decided to just start him and hope he could get me double-digit points which really should be attainable. 

My wife is going Sims over Gurley. She just lost Gordon. 

I don't blame her, I just think Seattle will stack the box and make LA throw.

At least with Sims she has the option of PPR. 

Playing Gurley over D Lewis in standard.  
Same. Ironically I acquired Lewis a few weeks ago specifically to play him over Gurley this week should I advance. But with his limited usage this far he's unstartable in non-ppr. The only good thing about Gurley is his floor is 5-6 points. And we can always pray for a garbage TD like last week.

I did not know that but just a few minutes ago was telling someone I know that the Rams leftover staff might be worst group of assistants in the league and that makes no sense on two levels. One a longtime coach should have more contacts and working relationships and we know money is not an issue so I was concluding, before I knew an article existed, that for some reason up and coming coaches did not want to work for him. I'd like to read the article, can you tell me where to find it?

One thing worries me a little about Boras as it relates to Gurley. Let's just say I hope Boras is not petty and vindictive which would lead him to do something like not go out of his way to put Gurley in best possible situation to succeed. I say that because when Gurley says the offense is a middle school offense I can't imagine anyone took more offense at that then Boras.

menobrown said:
I did not know that but just a few minutes ago was telling someone I know that the Rams leftover staff might be worst group of assistants in the league and that makes no sense on two levels. One a longtime coach should have more contacts and working relationships and we know money is not an issue so I was concluding, before I knew an article existed, that for some reason up and coming coaches did not want to work for him. I'd like to read the article, can you tell me where to find it?
What doomed Jeff Fisher's Rams tenure? He didn't adapt - Los Angeles Rams Blog- ESPN

He just had a nice run where he presses the hole, gets the defense to attack the middle then runs it outside for 22 yards.

Al Michaels says this is only Gurley's second run of 20+ yards this year?

I know at least two of Gurleys runs he has had no chance, defenders on him in the backfield barely blocked. So he is digging himself out of a hole a lot of the time.

He just had a nice run where he presses the hole, gets the defense to attack the middle then runs it outside for 22 yards.

I know at least two of Gurleys runs he has had no chance, defenders on him in the backfield barely blocked. So he is digging himself out of a hole a lot of the time.
Even Malcolm Brown got in on the Swallowed By Unblocked Defenders action. 

Last edited by a moderator:

At one point, after maybe week 3 or 4, Gurley was averaging 2.7 YPC on the season.  He was averaging 2.8 Yards After Contact.  So, on average, he was getting hit .1 yards behind the line each time he carried the ball.

At one point, after maybe week 3 or 4, Gurley was averaging 2.7 YPC on the season.  He was averaging 2.8 Yards After Contact.  So, on average, he was getting hit .1 yards behind the line each time he carried the ball.
That's not how that works at all.

If a guy runs for 4ypc and has one broken tackle where he ran for 30 yards afterwards it doesn't mean that on average he's getting hit 26 yards behind the line of scrimmage.

That's not how that works at all.

If a guy runs for 4ypc and has one broken tackle where he ran for 30 yards afterwards it doesn't mean that on average he's getting hit 26 yards behind the line of scrimmage.
And if he had 14 other carries with no yards after contact what would his average yards after contact be?

Users who are viewing this thread