What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who is Allen Hurns? (1 Viewer)

It is getting to be cut-down day in our dynasty league, and Hurns has me on the horns of a dilemma. I kind of like his situation (Bortles looks to have a bright future, Hurns has an offense he's familiar with, has shown well in preseason) but to keep Hurns I would have to cut Bryce Brown (who has shown flashes in his career, is buried on the depth chart, might have more of a role next year).

My gut says to keep Brown because we've actually seen him do it (at least for a couple of games) in the NFL and his performance is at least *less* dependent on things outside of his control (a QB who can't throw, etc.). The knock on Brown, of course, is that if he were a world-beater he would be a starter somewhere by now. Hurns' strongest argument is that he hasn't really got a chance to show what he can do in the NFL yet, so might be waiting in the weeds to excel...

Both of these guys are currently backups, so I know that we're looking into the crystal ball. Do you guys like Hurns that much to cut a guy like Brown? Just trying to get a gauge of how much you all value Hurns.
This is probably more of an Assistant Coach question.

It is getting to be cut-down day in our dynasty league, and Hurns has me on the horns of a dilemma. I kind of like his situation (Bortles looks to have a bright future, Hurns has an offense he's familiar with, has shown well in preseason) but to keep Hurns I would have to cut Bryce Brown (who has shown flashes in his career, is buried on the depth chart, might have more of a role next year).

My gut says to keep Brown because we've actually seen him do it (at least for a couple of games) in the NFL and his performance is at least *less* dependent on things outside of his control (a QB who can't throw, etc.). The knock on Brown, of course, is that if he were a world-beater he would be a starter somewhere by now. Hurns' strongest argument is that he hasn't really got a chance to show what he can do in the NFL yet, so might be waiting in the weeds to excel...

Both of these guys are currently backups, so I know that we're looking into the crystal ball. Do you guys like Hurns that much to cut a guy like Brown? Just trying to get a gauge of how much you all value Hurns.
This is probably more of an Assistant Coach question.
brohan thanks for being the az sherif around these parts and telling where posts should be from now on when people have a question they will remember there is a new sherif in town and he is the az profersor sheriff and they will think twice about asking and then they will decide not to ask and you will singlehandedly be the reason that no one asks questions brohan i do not use the word hero a lot but you are a hero take that to the bank brohan

Rotoworld:

Jaguars UDFA Allen Hurns is expected to open the season as the team's No. 3 receiver, behind Cecil Shorts and Marqise Lee.
Shorts is the X and Lee the Z receiver in two-wide sets. In the three-wides, we suspect Lee will move inside to the slot, with Shorts and Hurns on the outside. Hurns beat out Mike Brown for the No. 3 role, although he will soon be pushed by recovering second-rounder Allen Robinson (hamstring). Despite Hurns' big August, Robinson is by far the superior stash in Dynasty leagues.

Source: ESPN.com
Excerpt from the linked ESPN article:

Offensive MVP

The easy answer is Bortles, but let’s go in a different direction. Receiver Allen Hurns was an undrafted free agent who came to Jacksonville in part because of his familiarity with offensive coordinator Jedd Fisch's offense (the two were together for two years at Miami). He took advantage of extra reps in the spring and in training camp because of injuries and worked his way into the top three spots. He led the team in receptions (14 for 232 yards) and averaged 16.6 yards per catch. Second-round draft pick Allen Robinson missed most of training camp and all of the preseason, so it’s unlikely he’ll be able to contribute much this season, at least early. Hurns' development is a huge boost.

Rotoworld:

Jaguars UDFA Allen Hurns is expected to open the season as the team's No. 3 receiver, behind Cecil Shorts and Marqise Lee.
Shorts is the X and Lee the Z receiver in two-wide sets. In the three-wides, we suspect Lee will move inside to the slot, with Shorts and Hurns on the outside. Hurns beat out Mike Brown for the No. 3 role, although he will soon be pushed by recovering second-rounder Allen Robinson (hamstring). Despite Hurns' big August, Robinson is by far the superior stash in Dynasty leagues.

Based on what, his draft position? I know Robinson is talented, but he's shown exactly nothing at the NFL level. To say he's by far the superior stash without seeing him ever line up seems a little strange, when we're contrasting him with a player who's led the team in receiving for the preseason.

Rotoworld:

Based on what, his draft position? I know Robinson is talented, but he's shown exactly nothing at the NFL level. To say he's by far the superior stash without seeing him ever line up seems a little strange, when we're contrasting him with a player who's led the team NFL in receiving for the preseason.
Fixed

Rotoworld:

Based on what, his draft position? I know Robinson is talented, but he's shown exactly nothing at the NFL level. To say he's by far the superior stash without seeing him ever line up seems a little strange, when we're contrasting him with a player who's led the team NFL in receiving for the preseason.
Fixed
Thanks.

And that's against mostly first-teamers. He's proven he can at least contribute when he's on the field. Robinson has shown what, exactly? That he's really fast on the stationary bike?

Rotoworld:

Fixed
Thanks.

And that's against mostly first-teamers. He's proven he can at least contribute when he's on the field. Robinson has shown what, exactly? That he's really fast on the stationary bike?
I don't think he has shown that.

*I accidentally a whole word

Last edited by a moderator:
Shorts is out & the Hurns train is leaving . Last chance to hop aboard before he becomes the IT free agent

Watched an NFL network fantasy show from this week on my DVR tonight. In an interview with Toby Gerhardt, he was asked who the best receiver in camp was, for fantasy purposes. He said they all looked good, but don't get caught sleeping on Hurns.

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked up Hurns for a look-see, but he's currently sitting on my bench.

Did anyone have the cajones to start Hurns?

I picked up Hurns for a look-see, but he's currently sitting on my bench.

Did anyone have the cajones to start Hurns?
In an extremely deep league, I picked him up this morning and threw him in there as my WR3 over Hakeem Nicks.

I wish I could say I knew this was coming, but I didn't... WOW.

Users who are viewing this thread