What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Fantasy advice? (1 Viewer)

lazyike

Footballguy
Personally do like football guys and several others but I can't think of any worse advice than that on myfantasyleague.com....... the Fantasysharks. Completely clueless

Last edited by a moderator:
Useless? try watching the Fantasy shows on the NFL Network and NBC sports. Now those guys are completely useless. Last night Brian Westbrook dropped this gem: Lacey had a tough week against Seattle, but don't go dropping him yet. Really? damn, saved my season.

The people they hire for those shows have no clue about fantasy football. Not even the former players.

ESPN's Fantasy Now is pretty good. Matthew Berry is really into fantasy sports and for a former player, even Tim Hasselbeck provides good analysis and advice.

Some of the stupidest stuff I've read came from Matthew Berry. Maybe he's less stupid now than in the past, I don't know, and I don't care to find out.

Useless? try watching the Fantasy shows on the NFL Network and NBC sports. Now those guys are completely useless. Last night Brian Westbrook dropped this gem: Lacey had a tough week against Seattle, but don't go dropping him yet. Really? damn, saved my season.

The people they hire for those shows have no clue about fantasy football. Not even the former players.

ESPN's Fantasy Now is pretty good. Matthew Berry is really into fantasy sports and for a former player, even Tim Hasselbeck provides good analysis and advice.
Those shows are for people new to fantasy football or of the novice variety.

Fantasysharks is projecting Vereen to get 6 points against Minnesota in my PPR league and suggest leaving him on my bench. Maybe they are predicting he gets injured and goes down this week?( Last week he scored 18 fantasy points)

The best fantasy advice I can give is BE ACTIVE. You are not going to make the right move every time, but armed with a resource like Football Guys, err on the side of action.

I cringe a little when I read posts about whether to use the #1 waiver priority, or whether to drop an injured Jordan Reed for Dwayne Allen.

JUST DO IT!!! I play in a lot of leagues every year, so I've really gotten a feel for what works most often. This game is largely luck anyway, so don't paralyze yourself trying to avoid a mistake.

I can say with full confidence that the teams who win most often are the ones making the most moves.

They are useful for game time injury status's and that is about it.

But people must watch because they stay on the air. I love the NFL network guy who is supposedly a fantasy "hall of famer". What a joke, the women on the show are taller than him and he is pretty useless. Just more talking heads spewing useless information for so called entertainment I guess...

They are useful for game time injury status's and that is about it.

But people must watch because they stay on the air. I love the NFL network guy who is supposedly a fantasy "hall of famer". What a joke, the women on the show are taller than him and he is pretty useless. Just more talking heads spewing useless information for so called entertainment I guess...
I assume you're talking about Fabiano? Yeah I agree, he's mostly a "guru" to rookie/novice/casual FF players. If he were a Shark Pool poster the'd just be another guy IMO. People who post here won't really learn much watching these fantasy shows on telvevision.

Fleaflicker also references Fantasysharks.com as a "reference". The fantasysharks website was jumbled and unsightly back in 1999. I cannot believe they are still around. I actually took a 5 second look at their site for the first time in about 10 years last week. They have about 50 staffers and at least one is completely worthless, but I won't mention names. I'll just say the name of Fantasysharks.com will always get a bemused chuckle from me, and then a shake of the head, wondering how they've stayed around and are actually making money.

I'll see your Brian Westbrook and raise you Akbar Gbaja-Biamila.

THE. WORST.

Other than FBGs, I'd suggest Jamey Eisenberg on CBS. Knows his stuff and is a good 2nd opinion if your main source is FBG because he does have some different takes.

There's also fantasypros.com if you want to see all the WDIS from everywhere

Some of the stupidest stuff I've read came from Matthew Berry. Maybe he's less stupid now than in the past, I don't know, and I don't care to find out.
As I mentioned in another thread, the biggest issue I have with Berry is over half of the ESPN fantasy podcast is fluff. Every time I listen I ask myself "why am I wasting time listening to this?"

Other than FBGs, I'd suggest Jamey Eisenberg on CBS. Knows his stuff and is a good 2nd opinion if your main source is FBG because he does have some different takes.

Yeah, he's pretty decent. At he end of the day you really have to make your own decisions though IMO. Going with the consensus and group-think will only result in mediocre or above average results at best unless you play with idiots. You have to make some risky/bold moves to when in FF.

As I mentioned in another thread, the biggest issue I have with Berry is over half of the ESPN fantasy podcast is fluff. Every time I listen I ask myself "why am I wasting time listening to this?"
The opening bit where they talk about stuff that's not fantasy football is painful. And it goes on and on and on and on........

I'm a big fan of that site specifically for the WDIS. Just plugging in my 2 players and getting the results from 100 people (or whatever the actual number is) instantly is great. I will say that I had put in Moreno vs Crabtree (ppr) last week and it was 100% for Crabtree. I personally started Moreno and was rewarded for it but I still really like this tool.

The best advice I have is to watch more games, judge players for yourself, and listen less to what other people have to say.

Sunday Ticket, Game Rewind and Preseason Live probably costs more than any FF insider subscription. Nothing against the product FBG puts out, but actually watching the games puts me in the role of an actual GM of my team. Watching your guys blow up because you hand picked them is what makes FF fun.

The fantasy shows on the NFL network are pure gold. I remember one of the "analysts" bold prediction was followed up with "well, I have him on my fantasy teams so..". It's so bad it's good.

ive noticed watching the games does help a lot...

but fbg does help a lot when you cant see every minute of every game, the recaps really help

and gotta have some guts

I have been keeping an eye on fantasypros.com accuracy for a few years now. FBG had a down year last year, and none of the experts did well the 1st week.

I'd imagine it is more difficult these days with so many experts now entering rankings. There are also weekly game rankings now.

Personally do like football guys and several others but I can't think of any worse advice than that on myfantasyleague.com....... the Fantasysharks. Completely clueless
agreed they have crappy rankings and proj... following their advice will sink your ship. terrible and funny you said that... i had to throw away a cheat sheet during a draft bc I had a footballguys one and fantasysharks and just threw the fantasy sharks one away and used footballguys... lmao

In many ways players in FF share the exact same concepts as stocks. Their valuations depends on:

1) Fundamentals - I find talent evaluation to be something I prefer to do myself. If a guy stands out to me, I trust my gut and bump him up. IMO one of the easiest things in FF is recognizing whether a guy "belongs" in the league. My advice here is to avoid highlight reels. A WR catching a bomb or a RB who takes it to the house untouched often tells you very little about their ability to compete in the NFL.

2) Number Crunching - There are quite a few sites now like PFF and FO that focus on finding statistical trends and correlations. Just like stocks where you have people who pick stocks by fundamentals vs technical analysis, there are 2 schools of thought. Personally I use these sites for evaluations of units like offensive lines/defense more so than individual players. FF is not an exact science and should not be treated as such.

3) Breaking News and Events - These days even the complete know-nothings that don't watch football can click on the little yellow icon and get the latest Rotoworld feed with little effort. Information is still a premium, however it takes alot of legwork and reading between the lines to glean any useful indicators. Again I would trust your own instincts and experience here. When you read Rotoworld's analysis of a particular blurb of news, click on the actual source link. I've noticed several times my interpretation of the same piece of news differs greatly from their analysis.

Wow...I was thinking the exact same thing when I was listening to it at work this week after listening once last year and being appalled at the quality. My reaction was the same and I remembered my feelings about it. How Matthew Berry has succeeded in making a career out of this is amazing. Vagarities, non-convictions and half-hearted hunches is the basis for what he goes by it seems. That podcast is an abomination. I don't understand how it is allowed to happen.

It is tough to find good information because every hack who gets a few twitter followers feel like they need a podcast and weekly column. I look at these guys as adding to the radio chatter. FFlibriarian can help you sift through some of the various articles from some of these sites just to get different perspectives.

Fantasy Pros gives you the best rankings, and start sit advice from the masses.

I like FFToolbox for Strength of Schedule, Depth Charts, targets, points allowed.

ProFootballFocus & Fantasy Alarm have good articles

There is a a redditor, /u/quickonthedrawl, that provides some good number crunching for streaming defense

I always have a yahoo league because their research tab is helpful in looking at transaction trends etc.

so there is some good information out there, but I have always thought as far as fantasy goes, you have to be your own expert. I never feel as good about making a decision that I have researched as I do when I pick up a player just because I watched them play and liked what I saw.

this has worked out well and failed me, but it always feels the best when you are your own scout.

I use everything I hear as a guide. Knowing your source and how much merit it holds. But as some have alluded it's about you making the decision. I get so annoyed of seeing posts like," FBG had Charles #1 and only got me 3 points, I lost because of that." No you lost because you started him, not FBG.

Make your decision with the info you are given, trust your gut. That way when it's a bad move, it's your bad move to own and learn from, when it's a good move, it's yours and yours to reap spoils with.

It's not all about winning for me these days, for instance, last year's preseason I saw Cordarelle Patterson play and was in awe of his skills. I drafted him late in my home league that have incorporated our young sons into it. I bragged about how CPat was the bomb and how I got him late. My friend's 11 yr old son in the league made fun of me when CPat didn't produce fantasy wise in first part and middle of season, I said,"It's not my fault the coaches don't know how to use him." Now that CPat is a viable fantasy producer,starting late last season. I look like a guru to this kid. It's all about the evaluation for me, for better or for worse. I am not saying I was only one who saw CPat coming, I heard about him and looked for him first, but if someone catches your eye, be bold.

Another example,

Kurt Warner's rookie year. This was back when the internet wasn't as popular and information wasn't so readily available, so someone like Warner might not so easily slip through the cracks these days. But I was flipping through the channels one night and came across a St Louis preseason game and decided to watch. Warner was a name no one had heard of, including myself. During that game, Warner kept hitting his guys square in the numbers and they must have had literally 10 drops or more. My thought was, they will fix the drops and why not take a last round flier on this guy that I know no one in my league had heard of or would draft as the Rams had really sucked in previous seasons, if nothing else Warner was a starter at QB. Most teams that won with Kurt Warner that year did so because they picked him up off of waivers, I won using my eyes and my head and was able to talk trash all year how I got him in the last round.

Point is, use your head, then it's on you, for better or worse.

Wow Bloom #1 overall this week on fantasypros.
Do subscribers have a preference on the MyFBG rankings? Bloom seems a bit bolder and willing to rank possible breakouts, is that fair?
Bloom was identified in the NYT a few years ago as an outlier, and him and the guy from PFF were ranked as the best at it. In a world of relativity, I'd guess non-consensus excellence gives one a leg up. I've linked this before. I wish I had access to my old posts. Found it. Stuck in my memory for the search terms. I am not a shill for FBG nor PFF. It's simply my experience. From 2011:

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/author/david-kim/

I will never listen to Berry again...said Ball would be the best FF back in the league this year. Threw away all my mock drafts to take him early in the 2nd....passed on Antonio Brown. My own fault should have stuck with my research.

It's been a week since Dodds published anything to his Daily blog and according to fantasypros he's getting crushed in projections for the year and for last week. Glad to see he published the Game Predictor article today...unless that's scripted and auto-publishes. Can we get a twenty on David?

I only listen to analysts who explain the factors behind their rankings and talk like an NFL talent scout. They know exactly how all the skill players play their position and the situations they are in with their teams, as well as how that matches up against whatever team they are playing that week. You know a lot of thought has gone behind their rankings and they aren't just looking at stats and going with their gut. The FBG podcasts and articles give you that level of explanation.

You rarely get it from Berry, so how can you trust him?

THE. WORST.
Last night on "NFL Fantasy Live", Akbar advised everyone to pick up Benny Cunningham over Tre Mason. :mellow:

Even worse, Fantasy Hall-of-Famer Michael Fabiano stood there in silence like a stooge, content to let this horrible advice go uncontested. Cunningham has value in deeper leagues, but instructing people to pick him up before Mason makes you wonder if he's watching the games. I honestly tune into this show just for the laughs.

Personally do like football guys and several others but I can't think of any worse advice than that on myfantasyleague.com....... the Fantasysharks. Completely clueless[/

They have Lamar Miller projected for 7 points even though is has only scored single digits one time this year. Makes no sense

One owner in my league takes his advice from fantasy sharks and espn and he is 1-6

THE. WORST.
Last night on "NFL Fantasy Live", Akbar advised everyone to pick up Benny Cunningham over Tre Mason. :mellow:

Even worse, Fantasy Hall-of-Famer Michael Fabiano stood there in silence like a stooge, content to let this horrible advice go uncontested. Cunningham has value in deeper leagues, but instructing people to pick him up before Mason makes you wonder if he's watching the games. I honestly tune into this show just for the laughs.
Akbar said he would chug raw eggs live if C. Patterson didn't score double digit plus fantasy points in standard vs. BUF last Sunday. He scored a TD and didn't even break 10 points in PPR. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

The best advice I have is to watch more games, judge players for yourself, and listen less to what other people have to say.

Sunday Ticket, Game Rewind and Preseason Live probably costs more than any FF insider subscription. Nothing against the product FBG puts out, but actually watching the games puts me in the role of an actual GM of my team. Watching your guys blow up because you hand picked them is what makes FF fun.
This has always been my approach. Forums and watching games is the recipe for success. Forums are a great way of confirming what you see or offering a perspective when you don't see something as clearly.

I love the NFL network guy who is supposedly a fantasy "hall of famer". What a joke, the women on the show are taller than him
My friend's 11 yr old son in the league made fun of me when CPat didn't produce fantasy wise in first part and middle of season, I said,"It's not my fault the coaches don't know how to use him." Now that CPat is a viable fantasy producer,starting late last season. I look like a guru to this kid.
:lmao:

If you listen to Matthew Berry's podcast on ESPN it can't be for fantasy advice. It should be for anecdotes and injury updates.

For example: 3 weeks ago, Forsett is in a RBBC, you can't trust him going forward. This week, Forsett, Fantasy Stud!

Things change so quickly that it's almost impossible to predict, so they're just guessing based on slightly more info than we have access to. Your best bet to make solid roster moves is to just be active and try not to be impulsive. If a guy whose been in the league for 9 years has a handful of fluky touchdowns and doesn't get many touches (Looking at you Atlanta) don't pick him up over a rookie who looks to take over the starting role on a team that likes to run (IE, Mason).

I try to listen/read people who watch games so they can tell me things that aren't in the stats because I can't watch every game.

I pay much more attention to smart people telling me what has happened rather than those same people telling me what will happen.

THE. WORST.

Read the quote above.

Now, after Mason explodes, this clown has the balls to retweet someone giving him props for advice to pick up Mason.

:lmao:

You can't make it up.

When did he offer that advice? At 4:15pm today?

I'll see your Brian Westbrook and raise you Akbar Gbaja-Biamila.THE. WORST.

Read the quote above.Now, after Mason explodes, this clown has the balls to retweet someone giving him props for advice to pick up Mason. :lmao:

You can't make it up.

When did he offer that advice? At 4:15pm today?
lmao guy also mentioned in passing that hes 1-11 in his league this year.

Users who are viewing this thread