What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sometimes Life Just Ain't Fair, Kid (1 Viewer)

Anarchy99

Footballguy
Despite my pleas to JUST SAY NO!!!! to fantasy football, Anarchy Junior did not heed dad's advice to stay clear of the industry and live a peaceful, happy life without the undo stress and chaos of fake football. No one put a gun to his head, and he ponied up his own money to play in his first ever league. Let's just say the Cowboys / Giants game was closer than his Week 1 matchup. BOOT STOMPED would be the most apt description. To add injury to insult, he had Aaron Rodgers, JK Dobbins, and Diontae Johnson. Welcome to the real world, son. I tried to warn him that nothing good could come out of it. Maybe this will be the outcome that will cure him of this nefarious and uncurable disease.

nah, he's gonna chase the high his opponent just felt, pistol whipping him.

time to sit him down and have a man to man.

We had an opening in a friends/family league this summer when one of our owners moved away, so I asked my 14 year old nephew if he might be interested. He plays JV football, huge Madden player, knows all the players across the league but has never played fantasy before. His dad (my B-I-L) has been in this league for years with me, and he watches the games with us a lot and has attended numerous Saints games in person with his dad.

So I asked him to join, and he says "nah, you guys are miserable on Sundays, getting mad when the RB scores instead of the WR, who would want that"? Maybe he's just a little wiser than I gave him credit for, or maybe young folks these days won't be as into fantasy as the Gen X'ers and Millenials?

You have to take your lumps if you want to learn. I was God awful at this hobby when I started. Now I can at least hold my own.

I hope he doesn't lose interest in FF.
That's the thing. I'm not sure he had much interest in fantasy to begin with. He's not a big football fan, he doesn't really watch very much of it, and he barely knows the players. His friends asked him to join (or better stated . . . donate). I tried giving him some pointers, and he mostly wanted to draft older players that he knew. He's already disheartened and is writing off the season as a lost cause. I tried explaining he can still do fine with some replacements, but his enthusiasm level is about -12 right now.

Many years ago, someone here ran free leagues for kids/teens. My son started there when he was 13 or 14 (and did pretty well). He's now turning 28 and still going. Joined his first salary cap/auction league last year. He's now someone I can bounce things off of with trades, FAs, etc.

Despite my pleas to JUST SAY NO!!!! to fantasy football, Anarchy Junior did not heed dad's advice to stay clear of the industry and live a peaceful, happy life without the undo stress and chaos of fake football. No one put a gun to his head, and he ponied up his own money to play in his first ever league. Let's just say the Cowboys / Giants game was closer than his Week 1 matchup. BOOT STOMPED would be the most apt description. To add injury to insult, he had Aaron Rodgers, JK Dobbins, and Diontae Johnson. Welcome to the real world, son. I tried to warn him that nothing good could come out of it. Maybe this will be the outcome that will cure him of this nefarious and uncurable disease.
You should have turned him on to hard drugs instead. It would have been a healthier lifestyle.

That's the thing. I'm not sure he had much interest in fantasy to begin with. He's not a big football fan, he doesn't really watch very much of it, and he barely knows the players. His friends asked him to join (or better stated . . . donate). I tried giving him some pointers, and he mostly wanted to draft older players that he knew. He's already disheartened and is writing off the season as a lost cause. I tried explaining he can still do fine with some replacements, but his enthusiasm level is about -12 right now.
thats why he lost

So, would you rather he lost by a small margin or as you put it, got STOMPED?

https://twitter.com/OldTownCards/status/1701393790156571040

My 14 year old son joined our league this year. He knows all the players and is in a fantasy league with his friends. A day after the draft he lost Kupp. His 4 RBs are Jones, Dobbins, Wilson Jr, and Moss. And his backup QB was Rodgers. He started Skyy Moore. And hes 1-0

I started the hobby when I was 15 and have been doing it for 28 years now. Maybe it’s just me but as I’ve aged I’ve come to take the game for what it is… equal parts a one of knowledge/experience and of chance.

About five years ago I realized that I wasn’t enjoying watching football as much as I used to and that was in large part due to being so obsessed with fantasy football scores. I took a year off and just watched the games. Came back a year later with one team and now I’ve added a second. I think not having a dozen plus teams also figures in to it being a more enjoyable experience and not like work in a way. I get busy in the offseason making moves that I want for the future and then during the season I just set my lineups and don’t even check the scores until on Monday. It’s easy enough to play the waiver wires now with information everywhere.

You play long enough and you experience your share of bad beats, as in your son’s unfortunate luck with injuries, but you also experience some pretty good comebacks like I happened to last night. I found out I was down 113.10 to 75.45 going into the Monday night game. My opponents players were done for the week and I had Knox, Bass, and the Jets defense left to go. Thinking oh well, it’s only week 1, it’s a long season. Something that did weigh on me a little bit in this particular matchup is the fact that I’m a 49ers fan and I traded this guy Aiyuk not long ago in a package for Higgins. Ugh. Anyway after all is said and done I end up winning the contest 116.70-113.10.

Hopefully the other guy isn’t too miserable today. He all but had this one in the bag. And, after all, it’s only a game.

lol no chance

So, would you rather he lost by a small margin or as you put it, got STOMPED?

https://twitter.com/OldTownCards/status/1701393790156571040
I remember one league where the writing was on the wall and there was nothing I could do about it. I was clinging to a razor thin margin in a fantasy playoff game with my QB still playing at the end of MNF. I was ahead by 0.28.

In the actual game, the QB’s team got a late interception to ice the game. Unfortunately, I knew that was a huge problem. The QB took three kneel downs at -1 yard a pop. I ended up losing by 0.02. Nothing worse knowing your team lost over such a silly reason.

I was in the championship game during the Hamlin incident. Yahoo declared winners and I had won. Felt dirty. Decided on a redo, replay the following week. I lost. Although I lost I just felt relieved the season was over. The grind was done. Off-season went quick. Was excited for football. Then week 1 started I thought, here we go again. The grind. I reflected on the peace of the off-season. It's just to late. I'm addicted. No child should put themselves through this. Never let them start. Ha ha

As usual kids do not listen to their parents and just learn the hard way.

From the sound of things he doesnt care much and isnt paying attention. So if that remains the case maybe he realizes that he is just throwing money away at something he isnt interested in anyways and moves on.

Or if he is like me, who thought football was fake like wrestling and never paid any attention to it before some friends and family got me to join a FF league in what.. 1987?

Then laughed at me drafting a player who was injured and out for the season before we drafted, which was unknown to me at the time. Well that pissed me off enough that I decided to show them and started watching games and studying everything I could at the time (pre internet. Scores tabulated from monday news paper) and kept picking up new players to help me win and lost the title game of that league by a small margin despite my previous ignorance.

I was hooked and motivated by not wanting to be mocked by not knowing a player was injured when I drafted them ever again. Fast forward 5 to 10 years and none of these people wanted to compete against me in FF anymore and I had to find more serious competition.

For your sons sake I hope he is not like me and finds a more useful way to use his time.

Last edited:
For your sons sake I hope he is not like me and finds a more useful way to use his time.
Yeah, he spends his free time playing poker and gambling. Fantasy football would only take time away from those.

I remember when I first started playing fantasy football back in the early 90's (I had already been playing fantasy baseball for years). I remember we did live drafts by phone on a conference call. That style of draft seems to have faded away. Most live drafts these days are online, and there are still some in-person drafts. I suppose that some leagues might do Zoom drafts (I haven't done one that way). Back in the day, everyone would buy magazines with fantasy rankings that were way outdated by the time drafts rolled around. The Internet had likely just started. The wild, wild west of fantasy. Good times.

Maybe it’s just me but as I’ve aged I’ve come to take the game for what it is… equal parts a one of knowledge/experience and of chance.
It's more like 5% knowledge/experience and 95% chance
spoken like someone who loses most of their fantasy pools.

those who win regularly will say its more skill than luck.

50-50 is probably pretty close to accurate. usually you need to have a healthy team to have a good shot at winning and you cant predict that part.

Maybe it’s just me but as I’ve aged I’ve come to take the game for what it is… equal parts a one of knowledge/experience and of chance.

50-50 is probably pretty close to accurate. usually you need to have a healthy team to have a good shot at winning and you cant predict that part.
I am the career leader in championships in three of my leagues. I win plenty but realize that now with all the information out there everyone has the same information and the same approach. There are no sleepers. There is no uncovering of gems. It all comes down to schedule luck and injury luck. That is 95% of the game. The skill is staying on top of your roster and making moves when the injuries happen but even having the best team and scoring the most season long points you can have an injury to your QB in quarter one of the Super Bowl and down you go. Or you can have the second highest score in the first round but just happen to play the highest scoring team and get eliminated. You have absolutely no control over those things no matter how much skill you have. And those aspects will lead to someone winning every year.

I am the career leader in championships in three of my leagues. I win plenty but realize that now with all the information out there everyone has the same information and the same approach. There are no sleepers. There is no uncovering of gems. It all comes down to schedule luck and injury luck. That is 95% of the game. The skill is staying on top of your roster and making moves when the injuries happen but even having the best team and scoring the most season long points you can have an injury to your QB in quarter one of the Super Bowl and down you go. Or you can have the second highest score in the first round but just happen to play the highest scoring team and get eliminated. You have absolutely no control over those things no matter how much skill you have. And those aspects will lead to someone winning every year.
I mostly tend to agree, but the one thing I will say is when I was big into fantasy, I gained more knowledge and put forth more effort than many other owners. I kept up on lots of things I mostly ignore now. Tendencies of new offensive coordinators. Production levels of players in certain age demographics. Injuries to defensive players and how that would impact offensive players. Fantasy points allowed by teams against RBs, receiving backs, WR1s, WR2s, TEs, etc. How players did in different situations (grass / turf, indoor / outdoor, hot / cold, wet / dry). I would comb the waiver wire to pickup guys for games three weeks in the future to find that one perfect matchup that no one else would pick up on (when they were still on waivers).

But that was back when I worked for FBG's and played in leagues with experts from other websites, ESPN, Yahoo!, CBSSports, etc. I did crazy stuff . . . like streaming QBs each week. I would bench a Top 5 WR in a tough matchup for guys that very few people ever heard of because a starting safety and a CB would be out and were replaced by a rookie with an ankle injury and a guy playing out of position. Those are the types of things you have to do to outshark sharks. It takes a lot of time and a crazy commitment (and very little sleep).

While there is a lot of truth to what Gally says in regards to luck vs skill, it takes skill to put yourself in a position where luck can favor you.

There is a reason why some people fare better than others when everyone has the same information available to them. They make their own luck by making more informed decisions and knowing how to use that information better than others do.

Wisdom and experience are factors here which is why Anarchys son should listen to him, but ignorance is why his son doesnt.

While there is a lot of truth to what Gally says in regards to luck vs skill, it takes skill to put yourself in a position where luck can favor you.

There is a reason why some people fare better than others when everyone has the same information available to them. They make their own luck by making more informed decisions and knowing how to use that information better than others do.

Wisdom and experience are factors here which is why Anarchys son should listen to him, but ignorance is why his son doesnt.
Skill gets you to the playoffs......luck wins the title.

Back when I was in leagues with all the FBG staff guys, almost everyone (besides me) had very similar player rankings that were posted on the main site. I determined that I either liked any given player more or worse (but not the same). That seemed to always work, as I stayed clear of the popular choices and almost always ended up with the guys I wanted. You still need to have an informed opinion on how players will do, but IMO it's much easier to do well when you have a different opinion and mindset than everyone else.

You could just gift him a FBG subscription and tell him to follow exactly what they recommend for waiver pickups, trades and starters each week. Its a good way to learn the ropes.

My son is learning fantasy football is not for the faint of heart. He had the second highest score of the season so far in his league . . . which earned him a loss this week. He almost beat Tua. Almost winning sounds a lot like losing. The inadvertent whistle on the Amari Cooper play cost him the victory (all he needed was the yardage, not even the possible touchdown). Oh, and he had De'Von Achane on his bench. He may have to beat up some elementary school kids for their lunch money to help cover his losses.

:ptts:

My son is learning fantasy football is not for the faint of heart. He had the second highest score of the season so far in his league . . . which earned him a loss this week. He almost beat Tua. Almost winning sounds a lot like losing. The inadvertent whistle on the Amari Cooper play cost him the victory (all he needed was the yardage, not even the possible touchdown). Oh, and he had De'Von Achane on his bench. He may have to beat up some elementary school kids for their lunch money to help cover his losses.

:TheBlackKnight: I've had worse!

:TheBlackKnight: I've had worse!
Tis but a scratch....

It turned out to be a Festivus miracle. Anarchy Junior's team went on a bender, winning who knows how many games in a row to close out the season. Ended up the #1 seed, highest scoring team, and won the league title. The fantasy gods were very kind . . . every desperation lineup submission went crazy. Every streaming player / DEF / PK had great weeks. Probably the worst thing that could ever have happened. Poor kid, I'm sure he'll end up in a fantasy football rehab hospital by the time he's 40 suffering from addiction.

It turned out to be a Festivus miracle. Anarchy Junior's team went on a bender, winning who knows how many games in a row to close out the season. Ended up the #1 seed, highest scoring team, and won the league title. The fantasy gods were very kind . . . every desperation lineup submission went crazy. Every streaming player / DEF / PK had great weeks. Probably the worst thing that could ever have happened. Poor kid, I'm sure he'll end up in a fantasy football rehab hospital by the time he's 40 suffering from addiction.
Sounds like his first season is the one we all chase every year. Congrats to him, but now the hooks are in.

Hmmmm....mom must have slept with the milkman.

Users who are viewing this thread