What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

All Android/Google All the Time (2 Viewers)

the moops said:
Anyone having issues with group MMS messages using Hangouts? I keep getting "Couldn't download message".

Annoying
I've had this issue with hangouts even when it is just one person sending an MMS, it usually happens when I'm in a bad T-Mobile service area. The crappy thing is it only gives you a window of like 48 hours to download when you get in a better service area. I'm pretty sure I've " lost" some nudie pics due to this :furious:
I had this problem too. I manually turned on my mobile data (cuz I usually just use wifi when available) and was able to receive the MMS. The timestamp on the message won't be accurate though.

Finally got around to setting up the Google Voice voicemail transcribing thing.

I assume everything's set, at least. VM to my carrier number gets transcribed and sent to Hangouts. It took a few steps because I'm on verizon and they apparently hate my guts for not getting an iPhone.

Everybody seems to swear by Google Voice and I'm excited for the transcribing VM thing, but is there some other feature to this?

Is it mainly a help for people on a a low minute/high data plan? Cheap international calling?

Really dumb question, but is there a way to get mixed up and end up making phone calls over data?

Everything will just work the way it always has, just that Google's handling my VM and texts, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
For those rooters out there, where's the latest and greatest roms? I used to be really into it, and my original Droid X was never a problem. A few years ago, I got a Samsung Galaxy III when they came out. Flashing it didn't go as well. I ended up with CyanogenMod on it, and something is wrong with it. My phone works, but it will drop out much more often than it should. When I'm on it, I basically have to pace around my house trying to find a good spot. And I'm on Verizon. Sometimes it just restarts on it's own, and it says my system UID is not consistent.

So, bottom line, I need to spend an afternoon reflashing this thing. But, it's been a few years since I have done it, and I don't even know where to look anymore. Any help would be appreciated. Will take a PM, if necessary.

I don't do ROMs anymore, I just roll with Xposed Framework and what ever modules I want.

P.S. GravityBox rules ;)

I don't do ROMs anymore, I just roll with Xposed Framework and what ever modules I want.

P.S. GravityBox rules ;)
OK.. so I'm sometimes a hacker on stuff, sometimes not. I enjoyed hacking my Wii to get games from the community file networks... but what do you really gain from rooting your phone and doing all this stuff to it?

I mean most of these phones work pretty good with the stock android software.. What exactly are you guys doing with these phones that requires extensive modding?

What's a good free screen video recording app?

I see ScreenCast and SCR Screen Recorder in the playstore, are there any better ones?

If nothing else that other thread is a great encouragement to invest in Apple stock. No matter what is released it gets the cult in a frenzy and they empty their wallets. I will probably never purchase an Apple product going forward, but I can certainly appreciate the tribe they have built, from a business perspective at least.
Actually switched over to the MacBook Air recently. They just make a much better laptop product than the 3rd Party guys. Also helps that Windows 8 sucks so bad the differences between OS have narrowed.
Good irony here.

For those rooters out there, where's the latest and greatest roms? I used to be really into it, and my original Droid X was never a problem. A few years ago, I got a Samsung Galaxy III when they came out. Flashing it didn't go as well. I ended up with CyanogenMod on it, and something is wrong with it. My phone works, but it will drop out much more often than it should. When I'm on it, I basically have to pace around my house trying to find a good spot. And I'm on Verizon. Sometimes it just restarts on it's own, and it says my system UID is not consistent.

So, bottom line, I need to spend an afternoon reflashing this thing. But, it's been a few years since I have done it, and I don't even know where to look anymore. Any help would be appreciated. Will take a PM, if necessary.
forums.xda-developers.com for all your rooting needs.

I'm running pac-man rom on my S3 i747 and it's been smooth as silk.

If nothing else that other thread is a great encouragement to invest in Apple stock. No matter what is released it gets the cult in a frenzy and they empty their wallets. I will probably never purchase an Apple product going forward, but I can certainly appreciate the tribe they have built, from a business perspective at least.
Actually switched over to the MacBook Air recently. They just make a much better laptop product than the 3rd Party guys. Also helps that Windows 8 sucks so bad the differences between OS have narrowed.
Good irony here.
If the iPhone was actually a better product, I would buy one too. I don't have the homer goggles you do. But it isn't the better product, it is about 2 years behind the curve.

P.S. GravityBox rules ;)
OK.. so I'm sometimes a hacker on stuff, sometimes not. I enjoyed hacking my Wii to get games from the community file networks... but what do you really gain from rooting your phone and doing all this stuff to it?

I mean most of these phones work pretty good with the stock android software.. What exactly are you guys doing with these phones that requires extensive modding?
You can make of it what you want. Root opens up a lot of apps that do things that stock android would block like better app management for battery life, true backups, etc.

Some people also take it to the next level and completely customize their phone to the point that it's barely recognizable as an Android device.

For me, being able to run truly stock Android made all the difference. Samsung's last few updates for the Galaxy S3 completely broke the phone. Slow, laggy, constantly freezing and crashing. It felt like using Windows ME on a computer with 1mb of ram. A flash to a clean, stock OS made this thing feel like I went out and bought a new $700 phone with a snapdragon 800000 processor and 10gb of ram inside.

Good irony here.
How is it irony that someone is unbiased enough to buy competitor products in different spaces prefers Android in the mobile space? I mean, is forming an opinion based on something other than blind loyalty to a corporation a bad thing now? I'd put a lot more stock in the opinion on phones of someone with an apple computer, an Android phone, and a Windows tablet than some fanboy that has OMG APPLE EVERYTHING I LOVE THEM!!!!

FWIW, I'm also typing this on a Mac but would never again be caught dead with a 2 year outdated "new" iPhone.

From what I hear the new phones are pretty much locked down like fort knox, at least for Samsung. Don't know how well LG or HTC are doing.

I assume everything's set, at least. VM to my carrier number gets transcribed and sent to Hangouts. It took a few steps because I'm on verizon and they apparently hate my guts for not getting an iPhone.

Everybody seems to swear by Google Voice and I'm excited for the transcribing VM thing, but is there some other feature to this?

Is it mainly a help for people on a a low minute/high data plan? Cheap international calling?

Really dumb question, but is there a way to get mixed up and end up making phone calls over data?

Everything will just work the way it always has, just that Google's handling my VM and texts, right?
Wait til you read some of the transcribed messages

P.S. GravityBox rules ;)

With root, you can install an ad-blocker that removes ads from within apps. Like, if you're playing a game that has big text box ads or using some other ad-supported app, the blocker will remove it from the apps just like it would remove them from a webpage in a browser. The only reason I root.
I guess that would save me a few bucks... I guess even my cheap butt has been ok with throwing a few bucks here and there at an app developer to get the pro version of the app.

I don't have many apps i use, but most of the ones I do use regularly I've paid for the ad-free version.

P.S. GravityBox rules ;)

You can make of it what you want. Root opens up a lot of apps that do things that stock android would block like better app management for battery life, true backups, etc.

Some people also take it to the next level and completely customize their phone to the point that it's barely recognizable as an Android device.

For me, being able to run truly stock Android made all the difference. Samsung's last few updates for the Galaxy S3 completely broke the phone. Slow, laggy, constantly freezing and crashing. It felt like using Windows ME on a computer with 1mb of ram. A flash to a clean, stock OS made this thing feel like I went out and bought a new $700 phone with a snapdragon 800000 processor and 10gb of ram inside.
interesting.

I always thought a root though was a gateway to having to jack with your phone a ton.... i mean can you get regular google play updates for apps when you are rooted?

I drove past my local Verizon store this morning. Took everything in me not to yell at those fools waiting in line, "Welcome to 2012".

Wait til you read some of the transcribed messages
The first haven't been terribly accurate, but I absolutely hate dialing into voicemail with a passion.

This thing giving me the gist of it and enough info to know if and what sort of response is necessary will be one of the more exciting things that's ever happened to me.

Good irony here.
If the iPhone was actually a better product, I would buy one too. I don't have the homer goggles you do. But it isn't the better product, it is about 2 years behind the curve.
:goodposting:

Phone is android, desktop is Mac. Love both

P.S. GravityBox rules ;)

interesting.

I always thought a root though was a gateway to having to jack with your phone a ton.... i mean can you get regular google play updates for apps when you are rooted?
Sure can.

The easiest way to describe rooting to someone is, think about a computer at work. More than likely, you don't have admin access, so there are certain settings you can't mess with and certain things you can't download. With root access, you basically get admin right over your phone and can do anything you please. Don't like VZW Tones, you can delete. Want to fully backup your phone, download Titanium Backup.

It's really not a hard process to do. I had never done anything like that before until I got my HTC Thunderbolt. The steps are easy to follow and with forums like XDA, there are so many people that can help with questions.

P.S. GravityBox rules ;)

interesting.

Sure can.

The easiest way to describe rooting to someone is, think about a computer at work. More than likely, you don't have admin access, so there are certain settings you can't mess with and certain things you can't download. With root access, you basically get admin right over your phone and can do anything you please. Don't like VZW Tones, you can delete. Want to fully backup your phone, download Titanium Backup.

It's really not a hard process to do. I had never done anything like that before until I got my HTC Thunderbolt. The steps are easy to follow and with forums like XDA, there are so many people that can help with questions.
thanks for that.

Let's say I'm about 99% satsified with the way my phone works though... would you still do it and risk a potential brick?

P.S. GravityBox rules ;)

interesting.

Sure can.

thanks for that.

Let's say I'm about 99% satsified with the way my phone works though... would you still do it and risk a potential brick?
It's really hard to brick it. I had zero knowledge of rooting before I ever did it. There are some programs that basically do it for you. You just have to follow a few simple steps. I'd recommend giving it a try if you have an older phone, like maybe an S4 or something. It's really nice to root and still be able to get updates to the newest OS.

P.S. GravityBox rules ;)

interesting.

Sure can.

thanks for that.

It's really hard to brick it. I had zero knowledge of rooting before I ever did it. There are some programs that basically do it for you. You just have to follow a few simple steps. I'd recommend giving it a try if you have an older phone, like maybe an S4 or something. It's really nice to root and still be able to get updates to the newest OS.
oh, by older phone I have an Atrix 4G on android 2.3.6.. I'd love to be able to afford an S4... but my Dad took us off the family plan that has subsidized phones so even one of those bad boys is like $300 still.

I hope to get an S4 Mini in 2016 when they are under $100 and they probably have a Galaxy s7

P.S. GravityBox rules ;)

interesting.

Sure can.

thanks for that.

oh, by older phone I have an Atrix 4G on android 2.3.6.. I'd love to be able to afford an S4... but my Dad took us off the family plan that has subsidized phones so even one of those bad boys is like $300 still.

I hope to get an S4 Mini in 2016 when they are under $100 and they probably have a Galaxy s7
Lol then I say go ahead and try rooting. I'm not sure what the latest ROMs are for an Atrix 4G. But I'd imagine you could at least get Gingerbread.

I'm sure it's covered in other threads, but what do you guys use for podcasts?

I've got TuneIn, but that's just streaming right? No downloading?

I was probably going to get PocketCast. Do all these podcast apps pretty much have access to all podcasts?

I would really only care about the main sports stuff, NPR/ATC, Maron, Nerdist, and America's Test Kitchen. They'd all have all that right?
Doggcatcher has been awesome. most used app, solid 3 years for me now.

Good irony here.

Phone was Blackberry and Android for years. CPU at work has been Windows forever. My last home cpu was Windows, now on my first Mac (MacBook Air). I am currently on my 1st iPhone. I've used them all and the iPhone 5 is the first iPhone I've ever had.

It's superior in very much the same ways that MacBooks are superior to Dell computers with far more RAM and HD space and better processors. Which is why I pointed out the irony in Slapdash's post. :shrug:

tommyGunZ said:
Good irony here.

Phone was Blackberry and Android for years. CPU at work has been Windows forever. My last home cpu was Windows, now on my first Mac (MacBook Air). I am currently on my 1st iPhone. I've used them all and the iPhone 5 is the first iPhone I've ever had.

It's superior in very much the same ways that MacBooks are superior to Dell computers with far more RAM and HD space and better processors. Which is why I pointed out the irony in Slapdash's post. :shrug:
It is not irony to have a different opinion than you do. This is a silly post.

MacBooks are priced in line with similarly specced OEM laptops. iPhones are significantly more expensive than better specced Android hardware. But it isn't the specs that put Android phones over the top. The operating system is much more functional as well as customizable. It has features such as multi-window and widgets that seem far away in iOS, but I would hate to do without. In particular, the Samsung line gives hardware made as solid as any other phone while delivering the optionality of removable battery and increased storage (that doesn't cost $200).

Yet year in and year out the newest iPhone is consistently the smartphone that gets the best reviews amongst both consumers and the experts at tech blogs.

Yet year in and year out the newest iPhone is consistently the smartphone that gets the best reviews amongst both consumers and the experts at tech blogs.
So what? I make my own opinions based on my own research and experience. I think these people are mistaken and taken in by better marketing.

However, if you're seeking to validate your two years behind phone is so awesome, I'm sure there is a thread where you can get it.

Lol. Next you will state android phones are for people who can't afford an iphone. I will continue to own the stock because of the sheep.

tommyGunZ said:
Good irony here.

It is not irony to have a different opinion than you do. This is a silly post.

MacBooks are priced in line with similarly specced OEM laptops. iPhones are significantly more expensive than better specced Android hardware. But it isn't the specs that put Android phones over the top. The operating system is much more functional as well as customizable. It has features such as multi-window and widgets that seem far away in iOS, but I would hate to do without. In particular, the Samsung line gives hardware made as solid as any other phone while delivering the optionality of removable battery and increased storage (that doesn't cost $200).
I have an iPhone 5 from work and imo it is easily the worst phone I've ever owned. Battery life is terrible, screen is tiny, home button doesn't work half the time, and i have to buy an app just to play a lot of the media I have stored on my various network drives. I don't understand why people say that things "just work" on iPhones/iPads. Most of the time for me what I want to do doesn't work because the device is running iOS.

I do have a Mac and do think they are great, albeit a bit expensive.

I thought this thread was created so us poors with android devices would stay out of the iPhone threads and keep to ourselves. Reciprocation would be appreciated ;)

So after nearly 6 years of iPhones, I got a Galaxy S5 on Friday - already like the performance better (internet and apps that connect to networks are noticeably faster.)

Anyone got a link to make the transition easier? I've been wired to think in Apple, hard habits to break.

So after nearly 6 years of iPhones, I got a Galaxy S5 on Friday - already like the performance better (internet and apps that connect to networks are noticeably faster.)

Anyone got a link to make the transition easier? I've been wired to think in Apple, hard habits to break.
You know the knew Iphone 6 dropped last week right?

:scared: :P

You know the knew Iphone 6 dropped last week right?

:scared: :P
I get phones through work, and I have had the 3G,3GS, 4S, and 5S. Didn't see much improvement in day to day functionality or anything, so didn't expect the 6 to impress me either.

Speed and battery life are MUCH better on the Galaxy than either were on the 5S. Still trying to get used to the new interface though.

does anyone know how to use a lock screen wallpaper or widgets in 4.4.2? Have an HTC One M7 if that helps. I have "enabled lock screen widgets" and also tried to add a "custom lock screen wallpaper" but nothing happens. Same old crappy lock screen as always. I am on Sense 6 and run Nova launcher though that shouldn't matter
I use Widget Locker with this same setup/phone. It seems to work nicely. Need to download Tesla plugin in order to see unread counts on WL.
was going to try that out but some reviews indicated it stopped working recently.

interestingly enough, my lock screen mysteriously came back to life this weekend. Didn't update anything, didn't even restart the phone...it just had my custom wallpaper and widgets suddenly when i went to wake up the phone one morning. :shrug:

East Coast Bias said:
Just bought a G3 off ebay. Coming from an iPhone 5. Anyone use wireless charging?
I use a Koolpad Qi charger next to my bed for my Note 3. It's really nice not to have to fumble with cords in the dark.

It's a bit slower than normal charging,but that's not a concern for overnight charging, anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread